*** Thor (Modern) ***

1101113151622

Comments

  • OnesOwnGriefOnesOwnGrief Age Unconfirmed Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Honestly though, I don't see how any tactic that works on 2* won't work on the 3* varient. He still needs a decent amount of AP to get going so you have time to counter. The problem is that it will take a longer time to kill him, increasing the time in battle, and possibly lowering the amount of points seen at the top end of the brackets. We won't really know until he's more common though.
  • Nothing really worked on the pre nerf version of Thor besides himself and the equally ovepowered Wolverine, and lazy Thor is basically a stronger version of the pre nerf Thor.

    In every measureable aspect he is superior to virtually every character in the game. He doesn't have abilities that are hard to put a precise value on (like AP steal), but nobody says you can't pair him up with The Hood.
  • OnesOwnGriefOnesOwnGrief Age Unconfirmed Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    That is where people keep losing me. Why bother bringing up pre-nerf Thor like we're dealing with 6 AP Red crashes and 11AP yellow deaths. This character is exactly like the 2* variant available now, just more health and damage. That one can be dealt with then so can this one.

    The only real issue is if you are getting unlucky boards or your AP stolen. If you can mitigate the stolen AP by taking out Hood or OBW(god knows why), then you can very easy shut down Thor unless there are cacades in the opponents favor. Also, the AI is pretty derpy and will stock AP to use only one skill if multiple characters have that color. Very easy to predict and it may actually be more beneficial to leave Thor for last. That's my usually tactic with 2* Thor because his AP cost doesn't constitute fast play if nothing is feeding him Yellow/Green. You will probably have to take a Red to the face, but its possible to direct that damage or stun lock him.
  • PhaserhawkPhaserhawk Age Unconfirmed Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    His skills way outclass the commonly seen 3* heroes. Let's compare him to Punisher.

    Red: about equal if both are at 5. Since Thor's red is his weakest skill, most likely it'd be Thor 3r versus Punisher 5r, so edge goes to Punisher here, but Punisher's red isn't exactly that great against the standard 5800 HP heroes.

    Green: 14 green does about 8000 damage for Thor immediately. Even with 2 Judgments putting say 600 damage worth of strike tiles, it'll be a pretty long time before that catches up. This ignores the fact that the tiles might be destroyed (possibly by the second Judgment) or that getting someone dead right now is far better than 10 turns later.

    Yellow versus Black: Yellow can be considered as just another green in Thor's case. It's hard to imagine why adding 9 green tiles (1.5 Oasis worth of tiles) wouldn't somehow get into a massive green cascade, so you're basically comparing yellow's damage (about 2K) + green's damage (8K total) versus Molotov. The result is not even close. Even if you somehow don't hit any green cascades, his yellow does about 2K damage which is roughly the same as Molotov's total damage. Yes Molotov benefits from strike tile 3 times, but that hardly compares to an attack that most likely sets up for an immediate Call the Storm.

    Your best bet for taking down LazyThor is Patch, he can hit harder if you save up enough for green and red, that's a 1,2 Punch he probably won't be able to survive
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Your best bet for taking down LazyThor is Patch, he can hit harder if you save up enough for green and red, that's a 1,2 Punch he probably won't be able to survive

    Good call, I always forget about Patch's red as a finisher because against most opponents they are all dead a few turns after his green goes off icon_twisted.gif
  • NorthernPolarityNorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm finding that the 1-2 combo of C. Mags purple and Punisher's red tends to KO pretty much any non 230 character in the game. Hopefully this is still around after C. Mag's nerf.
  • A character who is strictly better than virtually any other character in the game has no counters. Don't confuse all the broken stuff you can do and that the attacker has an overwhelmingly advantage with whether a character has weakness.

    You can win against pre nerf Ragnarok without using him too. Doesn't mean it was in any way fair.
  • Has IceIX or anyone on the forums said if a "gold" character is supposed to be equivalent in power to a 3-star character?

    Is it possible that "gold" status signifies a "greater than 3-star" designation, but less than a 4-star designation? Is Modern Thor balanced to be a 3.5 star character, which would intentionally render him more powerful than any 3-star character?
  • Just lost to lucky cascade + 5k dmg green Thor attack. Good times!
  • I just came across a fully maxed 141 Thor in the Thor tourney... I was too chicken to face him though. I've been getting really unlucky cascades against Thors and just didn't feel like watching another Call The Storm destroy my hopes and dreams. But I did face a Thor with 8k+ health and Patch killed him in one shot with his red. The only thing I worry about with Thor is his green going off, but that usually doesn't happen unless he gets a lucky cascade.
  • It's more than just his green. His yellow should be considered as another green. If you only got 9 green back for adding 9 green tiles, you'd still only need 5 green when you use Thunder Strike to fire off a Call the Storm. Almost certainly adding 9 green will lead to at least one match 4 if not multiple match 4/5s so it's a pretty hefty AP gain. Oasis is probably the strongest environment in the game, and his Thunder adds is equal to 1.5 Oasis (though it can't overwrite special tiles, which may be good or bad depending on what's on the board).
  • Elric_VIIIElric_VIII Age Unconfirmed Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    I feel like this character is a double-edged sword. On one hand, I don't like the concept of "premium" characters (basically the equivalent of "foils" in a CCG); on the other hand, I really like Thor's abilities, so I will probably level him, thus encouraging D3 on this.

    I really, really wish they just put together a different 3* character even if it had the same skills and almost identical stats. As it is, I hope this does not set a bad precedent.



    Although, I would be much more on board with this concept if there was some sort of way to progress from 2* to 3*. For example, you could trade in a 13/13 level 85 2* for 3* covers. This way "gold" characters become stepping-stones from 1*-2*, 2*-3*, and 3*-4*.
  • That is where people keep losing me. Why bother bringing up pre-nerf Thor like we're dealing with 6 AP Red crashes and 11AP yellow deaths. This character is exactly like the 2* variant available now, just more health and damage. That one can be dealt with then so can this one.

    The only real issue is if you are getting unlucky boards or your AP stolen. If you can mitigate the stolen AP by taking out Hood or OBW(god knows why), then you can very easy shut down Thor unless there are cacades in the opponents favor. Also, the AI is pretty derpy and will stock AP to use only one skill if multiple characters have that color. Very easy to predict and it may actually be more beneficial to leave Thor for last. That's my usually tactic with 2* Thor because his AP cost doesn't constitute fast play if nothing is feeding him Yellow/Green. You will probably have to take a Red to the face, but its possible to direct that damage or stun lock him.

    I am confused too. I didnt own Thor pre-nerf so have nothing to compare to. However Lazy Thor is exactly the same as the Thor we have now isnt he? Same AP cost and same abilities. More health admittedly as you would expect and obviously he will do more damage as you can level him higher and the damage scales.

    Doesnt change the fact it is a lazy move by the devs and I do not approve at all but since when does community disapproval bother them? icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • ChrisV82ChrisV82 Age Unconfirmed Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    I've had two friends stop playing this game after this character was released, citing the large influx of new characters and the fact that the new characters are 3 stars (or...gold?). It's just an anecdote, do with it what you will.

    Sho nuff.
  • PolaresPolares Posts: 2,604 Chairperson of the Boards
    The PACman wrote:
    That is where people keep losing me. Why bother bringing up pre-nerf Thor like we're dealing with 6 AP Red crashes and 11AP yellow deaths. This character is exactly like the 2* variant available now, just more health and damage. That one can be dealt with then so can this one.

    The only real issue is if you are getting unlucky boards or your AP stolen. If you can mitigate the stolen AP by taking out Hood or OBW(god knows why), then you can very easy shut down Thor unless there are cacades in the opponents favor. Also, the AI is pretty derpy and will stock AP to use only one skill if multiple characters have that color. Very easy to predict and it may actually be more beneficial to leave Thor for last. That's my usually tactic with 2* Thor because his AP cost doesn't constitute fast play if nothing is feeding him Yellow/Green. You will probably have to take a Red to the face, but its possible to direct that damage or stun lock him.

    I am confused too. I didnt own Thor pre-nerf so have nothing to compare to. However Lazy Thor is exactly the same as the Thor we have now isnt he? Same AP cost and same abilities. More health admittedly as you would expect and obviously he will do more damage as you can level him higher and the damage scales.

    Doesnt change the fact it is a lazy move by the devs and I do not approve at all but since when does community disapproval bother them? icon_e_biggrin.gif

    Not exactly the same. 3* Thor is way more powerfull than 2* at the same level. Right now I have 3* Thor 3/4/4 at level 83 and his red does a little more damage, his yellow almost double damage and green a little bit more than my 85 4/4/5 2* Thor. With maxed abilities yellow could do 125% more damage and green 25-30% more damage when both are are level 85, imagine the difference when he is 141 (I have always thought his yellow was nerfed too hard, this is more the way it should have been)

    But I still think he is not OP. Magneto, Spidey, Patch or Punisher are better than 3*Thor. And I think some 3* need to be a buffed a little bit (IM40 - cheaper abilitites, BP - yellow 1+, Psylocke - more base damage for red and black) and Rags, Doom and Loki need a third ability. Then we could start talking icon_e_wink.gif
  • Polares wrote:
    The PACman wrote:
    That is where people keep losing me. Why bother bringing up pre-nerf Thor like we're dealing with 6 AP Red crashes and 11AP yellow deaths. This character is exactly like the 2* variant available now, just more health and damage. That one can be dealt with then so can this one.

    The only real issue is if you are getting unlucky boards or your AP stolen. If you can mitigate the stolen AP by taking out Hood or OBW(god knows why), then you can very easy shut down Thor unless there are cacades in the opponents favor. Also, the AI is pretty derpy and will stock AP to use only one skill if multiple characters have that color. Very easy to predict and it may actually be more beneficial to leave Thor for last. That's my usually tactic with 2* Thor because his AP cost doesn't constitute fast play if nothing is feeding him Yellow/Green. You will probably have to take a Red to the face, but its possible to direct that damage or stun lock him.

    I am confused too. I didnt own Thor pre-nerf so have nothing to compare to. However Lazy Thor is exactly the same as the Thor we have now isnt he? Same AP cost and same abilities. More health admittedly as you would expect and obviously he will do more damage as you can level him higher and the damage scales.

    Doesnt change the fact it is a lazy move by the devs and I do not approve at all but since when does community disapproval bother them? icon_e_biggrin.gif

    Not exactly the same. 3* Thor is way more powerfull than 2* at the same level. Right now I have 3* Thor 3/4/4 at level 83 and his red does a little more damage, his yellow almost double damage and green a little bit more than my 85 4/4/5 2* Thor. With maxed abilities yellow could do 125% more damage and green 25-30% more damage when both are are level 85, imagine the difference when he is 141 (I have always thought his yellow was nerfed too hard, this is more the way it should have been)

    But I still think he is not OP. Magneto, Spidey, Patch or Punisher are better than 3*Thor. And I think some 3* need to be a buffed a little bit (IM40 - cheaper abilitites, BP - yellow 1+, Psylocke - more base damage for red and black) and Rags, Doom and Loki need a third ability. Then we could start talking icon_e_wink.gif

    okay, thanks for explaining that, makes a bit more sense now.
  • PhaserhawkPhaserhawk Age Unconfirmed Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    My only thought on all of this, was that LazyThor was what we were actually going to be getting before the community decided they want 2* Thor nerfed. Instead of redoing the 2* they just dumbed down the 3* Thor's version. Perhaps.....2* Thor is actually Lazy Thor and not the other way around. I doubt it, but hey, just trying to think from a different angle.
  • Magneto and Spiderman are way broken and should never be compared to anybody in terms of balance.

    Patch is strong because of the aforementioned two characters that allows you to trivially get around the weakness of Berserker Rage. If these two characters aren't an option, you're either going to have to have Loki (a relatively weak character and you got to wait for a significant amount of black as well) or take significant risk on his best ability.

    The Punisher is in no way comparable to lazy Thor. As powerful as Judgment is, it is not Call the Storm. The red is about equal, and Thunder Strike is pretty much better than Call the Storm (because it triggers a Call the Storm most of the time) and is easily better than Molotov.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    My only thought on all of this, was that LazyThor was what we were actually going to be getting before the community decided they want 2* Thor nerfed. Instead of redoing the 2* they just dumbed down the 3* Thor's version. Perhaps.....2* Thor is actually Lazy Thor and not the other way around. I doubt it, but hey, just trying to think from a different angle.

    The damage he does certainly looks like an extension of the pre-nerf version. There's no way the current 2* Thor can do this kind of damage even if he can get to level 141. As someone pointed out lazy Thor of the same level and less covers still does more damage. This is completely inconsistent with the fact that 3* actually do less damage than their 2* of the same level.
  • PhaserhawkPhaserhawk Age Unconfirmed Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phantron wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    My only thought on all of this, was that LazyThor was what we were actually going to be getting before the community decided they want 2* Thor nerfed. Instead of redoing the 2* they just dumbed down the 3* Thor's version. Perhaps.....2* Thor is actually Lazy Thor and not the other way around. I doubt it, but hey, just trying to think from a different angle.

    The damage he does certainly looks like an extension of the pre-nerf version. There's no way the current 2* Thor can do this kind of damage even if he can get to level 141. As someone pointed out lazy Thor of the same level and less covers still does more damage. This is completely inconsistent with the fact that 3* actually do less damage than their 2* of the same level.

    I'm thinking I'm just gonna have to pump some HP in to him, he's way to good right now to be sitting on the sideline, i'll see how many covers i can pick up in the juggernaut events, but hell, 0/5/5 would be a beast to deal with, let alone a fully levled 3/5/5 141 Thor, that would be instant, skip on my pvp
Sign In or Register to comment.