Soul Gem Season Updates *Updated (12/13/17)

Options

Comments

• JSP869
    JSP869 Posts: 820 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Wait, wut?! So is this gonna happen for anyone without Gambit fighting an enemy Gambit?

end of turn 1: you have 1ap, opponent has 7ap
    end of turn 2: you have 2ap, opponent has 14ap
    end of turn 3: you have 3ap, opponent has 21ap...

What?!

EDIT: end of turn 4, you and your friends are dead.
    Mods: We heard what you were saying, and you're right; Gambit is OP. So we fixed him...and...made him even more OP. Enjoy!

• Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Options
    With the nerf to 3* Gambit, I feel we should also get increased sale price for Spider-Gwen ;)
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Despite disappointment from devs in all games I've played, I generally like to give them the benefit of the doubt.  Surely changes that we perceive as awful are because devs know something the players don't.  It's the players that don't see the bigger picture.  This is what I like to believe.

Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Wait, wut?! So is this gonna happen for anyone without Gambit fighting an enemy Gambit?

What?!

But this one.  This right here.  Laid out so simply yet so telling.  I don't know how they could miss this or think that this is okay.  

You are not doing a good job, Demiurge.  Poor performance.  
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

AlexxKats said:

Uhmmmm... Passives of a character are supposed to never work when downed... Unless we get Elixir as a character, in which case i can understand (resurection powers)
    People, people, stop trying to make Elixir happen.  Move on.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Will the 5* Gambit black at 4/5 covers target empty enemy AP pools as well?
    That's a good question! I'm afraid the development team is out of office at this hour, but I'll be sure to ask them tomorrow, once they're back in.
    Hi all!

My name's Casey Malone, I'm one of the designers on Marvel Puzzle Quest, and one of the people responsible for the Gambit design and the updates we've announced. I want to answer this question and clarify one thing about the changes to 5-Star Gambit's Stacked Deck power. 

First, to answer @RunningMan's question - no, Gambit will not target empty AP Pools, a random charged pool only. 

Thanks so much,

Casey Malone
    Game Designer
    Some people seem to be missing this clarification which was made last night.  I edited it down and bolded for clarity and whittled down the wall-o-text.  GAMBIT WILL NOT TARGET EMPTY AP COLORS.  He will always hit a pool you have AP in.  1-3 blacks, you lose 1 AP.  4-5, you lose 2.

If you somehow doubt this poster is the designer, note that I have never heard anyone call AP collected as a "charged pool".  Since "charged" is used to refer to tiles by everyone else.   Ex: Gambit makes a lot of charged tiles.
  • BoyWonder1914
    BoyWonder1914 Posts: 884 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The 3-star Gambit change is interesting. Sure he may hurt your team for an unspecified amount of damage, but they've also removed the restriction of his teammates not being able to fire Red & Purple powers. We'll have to see how that plays out. I never created my own GamBattery, I've been using him champed as intended from Day 1. So while I never used him as a battery for other teammates, I did take advantage of him being a battery for himself. He no longer has that functionality, and it looks like you need to earn enough AP for Aces & Eights first now if you want to ensure you get to take advantage of those Red & Purple charged tiles. It's been fun running my champed 3-Gambit with Bl4de and Coulson, will have to see now where he fits best. 

The 5-star Gambit change I can't fully wrap my head around since mine isn't fully covered and I never fight champed ones in PVP. I've fought some 0/0/5 5-star Gambits before which was annoying since he has so much health, so it's nice that his teammates can't fire powers in Red & Purple even if he doesn't have any covers himself. But at the same time, from what I understand his AP generation is what made him the most dangerous since HIS red & purple powers are definitely worth watching out for. Sure he builds the AP slightly slower now, but he can also destroy yours. Time will have to tell on this one for me. 
  • optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Why would you add a min/max for SCL in PvE?
    I have an scl of 81. If I want to earn more CP, I’ll play in the level 6 scenario. If I want to earn a specific 4 Star, I’ll play in the level 7. Forcing players to play in a specific level is going to make earning characters that much harder. And if you don’t build a roster a specific way, you are eventually going to level yourself to a point where you can’t play anymore. Please rethink the min/max on levels, or at least adjust the rewards system to give players more of a choice on what heroes they will be earning/ or how much cp you’ll be getting.
    I'm glad somebody brought this up amongst the hundreds of Gambit messages.

This deserves its own discussion; I'm a SCL 90-something player but my 5* tier is non-existent. I don't chase that tier, what covers I do get, I tend not to level, hell, my highest 4* is only 281 or something like that. Ever since SCL 9 opened I played it once, decided, screw that, scaling is way too high for me, and I've played SCL 8 ever since. That feels much better tuned for my roster. I can sometimes win the 5* node at least once for the extra token, I can usually 4x clear everything without it being too big a health pack sink (depending on who's boosted anyway), and it doesn't stress me out too bad.

Now I'll be forced into SCL 9 each and every event?

Retirement, here I come. It's been long overdue, but I won't beat my roster against the SCL 9 wall.

EDIT: Withdrawn, as per immediate reply below me. I missed that there were no "max" numbers on SCL 7 & up.
  • Talestummy
    Talestummy Posts: 66 Match Maker
    Options
    @optimus2861 Try and read the levels again. There are only minimum levels for scl7-9 no max unlike scl1-6
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 557 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:

Da fuq?!

If only the game was so static, there are so many different things that could happen in your favor or against that this scenario rarely happens.

If you use just one ap color boost gambit is thrown off completely at the start of a match.
    If you match 4
    If you match 5
    If you match 3 and get a cascade of any type
    If there is a charged tile on the board
    If you have an AP generator, or anyone like a loki, BW, mocking bird...etc etc

And on the flip side 

If it does play out like you mentioned

end of turn 1 you have 1ap, opponent has 7 (2 purple, 2 red, 3x)
    end of turn 2 you have 2 ap, opponent has 14 (4 purple, 2 red 6x)
    end of turn 3 you have 3 ap, opponent has 21 (6 purple, 6 red 9x)

This is the situation gambit wants, but its just not likely to be like that for either side and you can actively make sure its not by boosting, which most people never use or have an abundance of. You don't have to boost but it makes your life easier...aka what a boost is suppose to do.

Basically after 3 turns with a positive scenario for a gambit team( with it playing out how you mentioned), his team can fire off a 6 ap power (of a non red or purple) or less in 3 turns while preventing you from doing it.

You know who else could do that (and at a higher rate) and had an AOE stun and Nuke combined? Peggy Carter. You had to burn her down to 30 percent of her life or all your moves have a 40 percent increase cost until then.

I'm not saying gambit isn't strong, nor annoying, but he's far from game breaking or anything we haven't really dealt with before just presented in a slightly different manner.

• Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    mexus said:
    Dayv said:

AlexxKats said:

Uhmmmm... Passives of a character are supposed to never work when downed... Unless we get Elixir as a character, in which case i can understand (resurection powers)
    5* Jean has a resurrection power. :)
    And is not named Elixir!

Ruinate said:
    Sm0keyJ0e said:

But this one.  This right here.  Laid out so simply yet so telling.  I don't know how they could miss this or think that this is okay.
    The thing I can't buy into on this analysis is that it assumes each side only makes a single, simple match 3 each turn.  That might be true if your strategy revolves around firing a specific skill ASAP before everything falls apart, but multi-matches, cascades, and match 4+ matches should generate enough AP diversity to mitigate this somewhat.  How much?  Need to see it in practice.

The core problem with this passive remains: it has no downside of any kind, and no board threshold, AP threshold, or other triggering/preventative state to mitigate it other than rendering Gambit inactive.  The power lockout is only a downside if Gambit is severely undercovered or unleveled.  Compare 5* Gambit black to 5* Banner blue, which almost never does anything, and barely accelerates him at all on those rare occasions it does fire.  Compare it to Hood blue, which only steals color present in quantity on the board.  Compare it to 5* Hawkeye's passive, which generates a sick amount of AP (and arguably is also bad for the game), but only once you can start getting some countdowns to resolve.

And of course, Gambit red is still literally insane.  If you could only have one active red ability from the entire game, you'd choose 5* Gambit's.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So... 3-star Gambit now does damage to your team. Guess he'll be about as popular as Ragnarok & Sentry.

We asked for a nerf, not another self-damager. *sigh* 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,546 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't play in 5* land, so I'm not really that concerned with him. I'll let those that do, and therefore know more about it than I do, speak to that.

I will say that this feels like it essentially relegates 3* Gambit to "another 3* character that becomes useless once you have a strong 4* roster". In that sense, it's probably a good thing, because it balances him out. But I can't help but be disappointed in that I just won't be using him anymore despite liking Gambit. Why did he have to hurt his own team?
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Dayv said:
    mexus said:
    Dayv said:

AlexxKats said:

5* Jean has a resurrection power. :)
    And is not named Elixir!

Ruinate said:
    Sm0keyJ0e said:

The thing I can't buy into on this analysis is that it assumes each side only makes a single, simple match 3 each turn.  That might be true if your strategy revolves around firing a specific skill ASAP before everything falls apart, but multi-matches, cascades, and match 4+ matches should generate enough AP diversity to mitigate this somewhat.  How much?  Need to see it in practice.

The core problem with this passive remains: it has no downside of any kind, and no board threshold, AP threshold, or other triggering/preventative state to mitigate it other than rendering Gambit inactive.  The power lockout is only a downside if Gambit is severely undercovered or unleveled.  Compare 5* Gambit black to 5* Banner blue, which almost never does anything, and barely accelerates him at all on those rare occasions it does fire.  Compare it to Hood blue, which only steals color present in quantity on the board.  Compare it to 5* Hawkeye's passive, which generates a sick amount of AP (and arguably is also bad for the game), but only once you can start getting some countdowns to resolve.

And of course, Gambit red is still literally insane.  If you could only have one active red ability from the entire game, you'd choose 5* Gambit's.
    Multimatches are my default way of playing.  I hardly ever go after specific colors.  5* abilities don't hit hard enough to warrant that kind of playstyle and match damage matters a great deal after all.  I think you are assuming people who point out the above are only chasing after match3's in a specific color.  I do not think so.  Even if we're all bad and match3s are the only thing we are capable of doing, it still doesn't change the fact that Gambit gains 4 and you lose 2.  I don't know about you, but when I face Mystique and she has purple down, I feel it.  

For me whether it was a buff or a nerf is moot.  The fact that something like this passed again, and this time during a revision, concerns me.
  • leviticuschomsky
    leviticuschomsky Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Options
    @Brigby, are these the only expected changes to Soul Gem season? Or are other considerations being made?
  • Nick9819
    Nick9819 Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Options

I must be playing a completely different game then thedarkphoenix.  I have already used up most of boost fighting gambits.     and the only times I start off with a 5 in a row is when I fight teen Jean.  Joe is complete right  and I am pretty sure he has a covered gambit.   

cascade or die play style does not interest me at all.

yes peggy slows you down but she is not giving you an extra turn worth of AP every single turn while she does it.

I feel like making gambits black power a 5-6 AP cost the places a repeater tile    is more of a fair balance. I don't think there is any toon that gives you free AP every single turn from turn one.

• Rick_OShay
    Rick_OShay Posts: 765 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Dormammu said:
    So... 3-star Gambit now does damage to your team. Guess he'll be about as popular as Ragnarok & Sentry.

We asked for a nerf, not another self-damager. *sigh* 
    Thano3 damages team. He's quite popular.

Ha, yep. And we all know the self-team-damage must be minor. The Dev's wouldn't get the wrong would they? 
    Fixed 3* Gambit will be fine. So many posts stating he is dead overall? Ridiculous.
    So he won't help your 4* or 5* teams as much as before? This is logical. 
    By the way, Coulson and other teammates will like him even better now, and there are more advantages when facing an enemy 3* Gambit (use your own, bring Strange, etc..).

3* Gambatt is dead, good riddance. Fun while it lasted, knowing it had to stop eventually. 

5* Gambit's AP destruction is going to be a bigger deal than the Dev's have thought, as many others have stated. I'll get him fully covered in a couple weeks so I'm excited but still hesitant about fighting an enemy Gambit.
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 401 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Brigby said:
    Will the 5* Gambit black at 4/5 covers target empty enemy AP pools as well?
    That's a good question! I'm afraid the development team is out of office at this hour, but I'll be sure to ask them tomorrow, once they're back in.
    Hi all!

My name's Casey Malone, I'm one of the designers on Marvel Puzzle Quest, and one of the people responsible for the Gambit design and the updates we've announced. I want to answer this question and clarify one thing about the changes to 5-Star Gambit's Stacked Deck power. 

First, to answer @RunningMan's question - no, Gambit will not target empty AP Pools, a random charged pool only. 

Second, reading this thread there seems to be a little confusion about how 5-Star Gambit's power levels up, and when you start destroying enemy AP. The ability always destroys enemy AP, and at Level 2, will begin to generate Red AP.

Let me break it down for you: 

Level 1 - Gambit generates 1 Purple AP and destroys 1 Random enemy AP. 
    Level 2 - Gambit generates 1 Purple AP, 1 Red AP, and destroys 1 Random enemy AP. 
    Level 3 - Gambit generates 2 Purple AP, 1 Red AP, and destroys 1 Random enemy AP. 
    Level 4 - Gambit generates 2 Purple AP, 1 Red AP, and destroys 2 Random enemy AP. 
    Level 5 - Gambit generates 2 Purple AP, 2 Red AP, and destroys 2 Random enemy AP. 

I hope this clears that up, and lets you evaluate this change more easily. 

Thanks everyone for receiving this update with an open mind. I won't be able to monitor this thread and reply to questions directly going forward, but your feedback will for sure make it back to the rest of the development team quickly - your feedback was instrumental in this change, so we want to make sure we got it right. 

Thanks so much,

Casey Malone
    Game Designer

Basically if you don’t have 5 in black gambit is heavily neutered. 

So so all those unchamped gambits that people are upset can stand toe to toe with champed hero’s, that’s pretty much gone out the window.

this was actually a really well done change, 5 gambit is indeed nerfed, but only hard for those that have him under leveled or covered.

otherwise he’s berfed. 

That would be nice if I ever saw a non-champed Gambit in PvP.  But so many people abused the CP glitch, champed 5bits are everywhere. 
  • Nick9819
    Nick9819 Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Options

even If I ever cover gambit, I don't want to have to use him just to compete/ not get murdered.

• ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    OJSP said:
    ZeiramMR said:
    If this works the way I think it will, it will be bad but not as bad as you make out. Make one match in another color and you are likely to get there the beginning of turn 7.
    I understand it’s random. Even if we gather other colours before black, there’s no guarantee that black won’t get destroyed in the subsequent turns. We are also assuming that there are a lot of black tiles on the board. Even giving the opposite Gambit 6 turns of unopposed AP generation is quite bad.
    That is why I said likely (you are right it is not a guarantee).

I'm going to wait and see how Gambit plays. I can think of circumstances, teams, and playstyles that will not make it a flat "lose 2 AP I care about" every turn, but I do think it will end up rather close to that in practice.