Soul Gem Season Updates *Updated (12/13/17)

Options

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,638 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Whoa why does 3* need a tinykitty sentry like ability. Get that trash out of here. Just make him spawn charged tiles and be done with it
    Agree with this. The change to active and charged tiles deals adequately with the Gambat issue, the team damage is not necessary.
  • Coubii
    Coubii Posts: 133 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Wow! Have a single 5* 0/0/1 Gambit. Want to make a 0/0/5 for sure now! Thx for boost!
    TinyKitty! Have a champed 3* Gambit I don't play often. Now I know he will join Sentry in the pile 'I never play except required'.
  • DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,369 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Options
    I was focused more on the 3* nerf because I have only 3 covers for 5* Gambit, but I agree that 5* Gambit is way OP with the intended changes that @CaseyMalone posted. On the other hand, the 3* nerf seems a bit too strong....

My view on this:
    • 3* Gambit: the self-team damage is too much, otherwise the nerf seems okay.
    • 5* Gambit: others have already pointed out this will actually make him even more painful to fight. My proposition for his black power:
      - Make it an active power costing 4 black AP (Power cost can not be reduced)
      - When you activate it, it drains your black AP and creates red and purple AP, and destroys enemy AP. The number of AP generated and/or destroyed varies with cover levels but is also based on the amount of black that was in your black AP pool when you fired the power. (Much like Red Hulk's green power it grows stronger with more AP and resets the AP pool to 0)
      - Because the AP generation is not passive any more, remove the 'allies cannot fire red or purple' restriction
    Any thoughts?

/edit: nothing to add, but I just want to emphasize that passive AP generation is broken on principle and should NEVER be added as a feature on any character.
  • Nick441234
    Nick441234 Posts: 1,496 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Glad to see level 9 coming to PVP and glad that 0/0/5 Gambit is now dead. Dont like that the 3* version now hurts his team mates. I hate characters like that! That now relegates 3* Gambit to only being used when essential. 
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    Options

Do we have any numbers on 3* Gambit black?

Maybe the self damage is more or less negligable. The numbers can't be too high anyway considering it's just 5 black AP.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,638 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Starfury said:

Do we have any numbers on 3* Gambit black?

Maybe the self damage is more or less negligable. The numbers can't be too high anyway considering it's just 5 black AP.

You could be right but the fact it does team damage means that you probably wont want to spam black as that will add up over time. Maybe the damage reduces at higher levels?
  • Magic
    Magic Posts: 1,199 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    With the number of Gambits in the high end game I don't see how this is a buff to some players. He got hit hard on offence in a mirror match - maybe even beyond usability. The opponent getting the upper hand from round 1? I call it a nerf. Not on par with other nerfs which is good but still a nerf.

Targeting Gambit for a mirror seemed like a best way to climb if he was without Bolt. He was pretty much useless, not overpowered. Now you can't target the Gambit for mirror match as he will get a big advantage in AP. And Gambit-Bolt pair on defence will be close to invincible.

I am waiting to see him in action but I am not holding my breath. I guess my goal of trying to get max progression won't be achieved.
  • The rockett
    The rockett Posts: 2,016 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you took a small break from this game and don't have a Gambit and try to play at a high level it seems you are gonna be a target even more. 
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I welcome this change to my 463 Gambit. I don't think it was strong enough - the red is still too good because it can charge red.
    The red is still too good because it collects six AP for a cost of seven while doing massive damage per AP, for the easy prerequisite of having two charged tiles on the board, and oh yeah, it charges two tiles in case you’re *not* running him with or against another tile charger.
  • spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Calm down everyone, sure the "rework" didnt really do anything to significantly dampen Gambits offensive or defensive capability but give it a season, the developers will probably see by their own metrics that not enough has changed and we will get another rework next season a la Carnage.
  • Felessa
    Felessa Posts: 161 Tile Toppler
    edited December 2017
    Options
    No more 0/0/5 3* Gambit builds? Good!
    CL9 in Versus gives players more option, good too.
    3* Gambit now deals ally damage? This is bad...
    No other character rebalances with System Reboot? This is sad...
    No changes or tests to improve the Versus progression issue? This is even worse and sadder... :(
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,313 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Options
    If you took a small break from this game and don't have a Gambit and try to play at a high level it seems you are gonna be a target even more. 
    Or have lousy draw rates. Since Gambit entered stores I have pulled 220 Latests. 24 5’s from that, one dry run of 48 pulls.  6 Gambits to date.

It’s only off by 7 covers from 1/7, but still.

My bad luck is good in that I have just 1 5 champed, so am avoiding GamMR for now.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Magic said:
    With the number of Gambits in the high end game I don't see how this is a buff to some players. He got hit hard on offence in a mirror match - maybe even beyond usability. The opponent getting the upper hand from round 1? I call it a nerf. Not on par with other nerfs which is good but still a nerf.

Targeting Gambit for a mirror seemed like a best way to climb if he was without Bolt. He was pretty much useless, not overpowered. Now you can't target the Gambit for mirror match as he will get a big advantage in AP. And Gambit-Bolt pair on defence will be close to invincible.

I am waiting to see him in action but I am not holding my breath. I guess my goal of trying to get max progression won't be achieved.

How many matches against Gambolt have you actually played?
    DD (and of course your own Gambit) tears Gambolt apart, without needing healthpacks.

• ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Starfury said:
    OJSP said:
    D4Ni13 said:
    After reading Archangel's powers I must say that he will directly counter 5* Gambit, and this might be the reason he wasn't nerfed as hard as some would want. Archangel would be able to block at least one of red or purple with his Aerial Superiority (if not both - the 3 * version is able to create 2 tiles at 3 covers in the preview, so maybe the 5* would as well), and would completely shot down generation of AP if the ability does what its description say it does. 
    And how many turns will we need to get 7 black AP? Even with a predominantly black board, if we manage to match exclusively black in all our initial turns, we will get 7 AP of a particular colour on turn 4 with simple match-3s. By then, the other team would already have 28 AP and we are stuck with 1 black AP and random ones from cascades, if any.

It's actually the beginning of turn 8 (assuming an income of 3 black ap per turn)

I can already see the next Simulator PVE: 5* Gambit / Rogue / Wasp

If this works the way I think it will, it will be bad but not as bad as you make out. Make one match in another color and you are likely to get there the beginning of turn 7. Make one match in two different colors and you might pull it off at the beginning of turn 6, but it will probably still end up being turn 7.

Think of it like this ignoring Gambit for a moment... you just start a brand-new match and there's a 4-match available in a color you want, but the other team has Loki. Do you take the 4-match? I usually would. Any countdown tiles left are likely to get partially burned on the other 4 colors/TU AP you earned. 
  • Starfury
    Starfury Posts: 719 Critical Contributor
    edited December 2017
    Options

Yeah, it's a hypothetical scenario, but so is having a black match available every single turn.

I've used IM40 enough to know that even getting 6 ap of a certain color isn't exactly a given. Add random AP destruction and your path to 7 can get quite rocky.

Basically you're best off by trying to get as much AP as you can without focussing on a certain color. But then that kinda defeats the purpose of an active ability as a counter.

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I don't suppose we'll see a System Reboot event that gives out free 3* and 5* Gambit covers? :)
  • Matthewking72
    Matthewking72 Posts: 10 Just Dropped In
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Wait, wut?! So is this gonna happen for anyone without Gambit fighting an enemy Gambit?

end of turn 1: you have 1ap, opponent has 7ap
    end of turn 2: you have 2ap, opponent has 14ap
    end of turn 3: you have 3ap, opponent has 21ap...

What?!

EDIT: end of turn 4, you and your friends are dead.

This......how do the devs not see this as even more OP than before? This is ridiculous....how in the world would they ever consider this something as something that re-balances Gambit.  Can anyone explain to me how you ever hope to beat a Gambit without having one with this change....when you are only gaining 1 AP per turn unless you get a match-4 or match-5?
  • broll
    broll Posts: 4,732 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Sm0keyJ0e said:
    Wait, wut?! So is this gonna happen for anyone without Gambit fighting an enemy Gambit?

end of turn 1: you have 1ap, opponent has 7ap
    end of turn 2: you have 2ap, opponent has 14ap
    end of turn 3: you have 3ap, opponent has 21ap...

What?!

EDIT: end of turn 4, you and your friends are dead.

This......how do the devs not see this as even more OP than before? This is ridiculous....how in the world would they ever consider this something as something that re-balances Gambit.  Can anyone explain to me how you ever hope to beat a Gambit without having one with this change....when you are only gaining 1 AP per turn unless you get a match-4 or match-5?
    Buy boosts! Damage boosts! AP starting boosts! Open you wallet and enjoy boosting every battle! Huzzah!

Or better yet, pay your way to your own Gambit!  Keep paying till your Gambit out levels your opponents!