more than others. these swings happen to both the ai
    and the player. I think they might be weighted to occur
    more often than the probabilities suggest. (maybe this
    makes a more exciting game?)

HH
  • Steeme
    Steeme Posts: 784 Critical Contributor
    Options

While I disagree that the AI is "cheating" in any way, I do agree that it is sometimes a little too optimized for my taste.  Being able to make multiple primary color swaps per turn while leaving me with nothing but loyalty swaps at clutch moments is quite frustrating.

There is no discernible pattern though. The only consistent theory is that if you are running a lower quality deck than your opponent you can get quite easily overrun.  The only solution for improving gameplay is to improve matchmaking.

Most of my event losses in the past few weeks have been from players submitting decks that have not been modified for objectives.  There were only a few losses to decks where I spotted at least one card that could be used to satisfy an objective.

• toastie
    toastie Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Steeme said:

While I disagree that the AI is "cheating" in any way, I do agree that it is sometimes a little too optimized for my taste.  Being able to make multiple primary color swaps per turn while leaving me with nothing but loyalty swaps at clutch moments is quite frustrating.

There is no discernible pattern though. The only consistent theory is that if you are running a lower quality deck than your opponent you can get quite easily overrun.  The only solution for improving gameplay is to improve matchmaking.

Most of my event losses in the past few weeks have been from players submitting decks that have not been modified for objectives.  There were only a few losses to decks where I spotted at least one card that could be used to satisfy an objective.

believe the suggested gem is the one that the AI would take
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    toastie said:
    Steeme said:

It's not. I've tested this many times. 

• toastie
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    toastie said:

Interesting. How did you test this?
  • shteev
    shteev Posts: 2,031 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2017
    Options
    FWIW I've had a couple of match 7s drop in. I was surprised to see them both! The last one occured recently when the battle log had been installed so I was able to check it.

Thing is, tho... when you crunch the numbers, how many gems drop down per game? Per day? Per year? I've been playing over a year...

[edit] yknow, if we able to EXPORT the battle logs, we could go some way towards putting this issue to bed. We don't get to see the state of the board each move within the battle log, but a good player who's looking for cascades will get more mana than the AI who's turning match 5s into match4s over the long run.
  • Ohboy
    Ohboy Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    toastie said:
    Ohboy said:
    toastie said:

Mirror match, I match something on a top corner instead of the suggested gem. 

AI doesn't take its own suggestion. 
  • ChowDerHead
    ChowDerHead Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    toastie said:
    Ohboy said:
    toastie said:

I've experienced quite the opposite, however, with a caveat.  When the AI makes a suggestion which I then ignore in favor of a different match, my experience thus far is that the AI will consistently take the match that it suggested a moment ago.

However, if my defiance results in a gem arrangement which offers a superior match for the AI - a more appropriate color match, a four-fer, or a fiver, for example - the AI will not take it's original suggestion and go with the more favorable match.

In addition, I have encountered a few "defiant matches" which actually resulted in a rather favorable cascade.  Being the ghost-in-the-machine cynic that I am, it's my belief that the AI is intentionally attempting to mislead me away from the cascade.  So ultimately, I believe that the AI does have insight as to what's coming next and I need to decide if I want to take the red pill gem, or the blue pill gem.

Of course, all of this is bereft of any sort of scientific method and based purely on my emotional opinion of the game AI being a Cheatyface.

• octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'll repeat this until I'm blue in the face, if I have to: the AI does not take into consideration the inbound gems when determining a match. In fact, the AI CAN NOT take into consideration the inbound gems because they haven't even been generated yet.

When it is deciding how to make a match, it assigns scores to the following: 
    1) line bonus / shape bonus when a match is created. 5 > 4 > 3, but the calculation on this appeared to be flawed - we've all seen it turn match5s into match4s. It's possible this flaw is on purpose to make the AI a beat easier to handle. I also believe this gives the baseline score for a match, which is why you'll see Koth take a blue match4 over a red match3.
    2) its own color bonuses and your PW's color bonuses
    3) whether a gem is an activated gem,
    4) whether a gem is a support,
    5) whether a gem is energized

but I have all this circumstantial evidence that says otherwise so why should I believe you?
    You don't have to if you don't want to. But I trust my source more than I trust what everyone's gut seems to be saying, because that source proves everyone's gut feeling is incorrect.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It's silly to think the AI knows of cascades 27 rows above the board, when it doesn't even see cascades sitting in front of its own face.

As for the AI suggesting gems different from those it would pick, the AI prioritizes matches which would pop your supports or activate gems.  So, it might be suggesting the same for you "if I were you, I'd totally try to break my reinforced Mirrorpool."  But when it's their turn, they're trying to break your Mirrorpool, not theirs. The AI also seems to enjoy matching the colors of the opponent over matching its own colors.

In the very early days of the game, the developers acted like this was some sort of clever strategy - to try to break your opponent's supports through matching their gems.  Ruin your opponent's chances of getting a color match by matching their gems first.  Most human players don't do this, unless they're desperately trying to get rid of a 1-shield Hixus or if they're playing against Koth and there's a red match on board.
  • Gormhaus
    Gormhaus Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I just played another match of the luckiest ai ever. The ai should be buying lottery tickets its so lucky. I wish there was an upload battle log function.
  • julianus
    julianus Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Gormhaus said:
    I just played another match of the luckiest ai ever. The ai should be buying lottery tickets its so lucky. I wish there was an upload battle log function.
    There is, sort of, in that you can take a series of screenshots of the Battle Log and then post them online.

Although it's probably too late for that, now.
  • Gormhaus
    Gormhaus Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Options
    There should be a battle log summary for each match. #swaps for #mana displayed for each pw. 
  • span_argoman
    span_argoman Posts: 751 Critical Contributor
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I doubt the AI cheats. It's so dumb that it can sometimes miss a 5-match of its own colour if the 5-match was generated by its own gem converters. And we're not event talking about the regular off-colour 5-matches they miss.

The AI cascades can be frustrating sometimes but most of the time I experience that I cascade more than the AI. And that's including random cascades from the heavens which I get as opposed to the AI.

Just a small tip on gem matching. Even if two matches seemingly give you the same mana, check if one of them has a (higher) chance of cascades from the heavens. Let's say you have a horizontal Black match (hB) and a vertical Black match (vB). And say vB looks like this
    --Sky--
    BUW
    BRR
    GBL

While hB looks like
    --Sky--
    RUB
    BBR
    ULW

There are only 6 different types of gems which can be generated from the sky. So vB gives a 16.7% chance to get a free Red match.

Say instead vB was
    --Sky--
    BUU
    BRR
    GBL

You now have a 30.6% chance of an extra match (whether Red or Blue). Spotting these things instead of letting the AI match the superior choice might make the difference in your cascade from the heavens experience.
  • toastie
    Options
    Ohboy said:

Once the board changes it is recalculated. Also about 90% sure it takes your color and opponent's color into account, also probably mana gains.
  • Monkeynutts85
    Monkeynutts85 Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    edited May 2017
    Options
    It is garbage. whatever u call it. since 2.0 the game is worse. im tired of watching the ai have one turn of greatness and u lose.

u cant recover in the stupid enrage event that always are on.

i seldomly play anymore. i dont even bother in events. its just plain boring.....oh im winning.......ai turn..... match...match...match...olivia....tyrant...u lose    yay! 50 runes....
  • DuskPaladin
    DuskPaladin Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ohboy said:
    toastie said:
    Ohboy said:
    toastie said:

I've experienced quite the opposite, however, with a caveat.  So ultimately, I believe that the AI does have insight as to what's coming next and I need to decide if I want to take the red pill gem, or the blue pill gem.

You always take the red gems vs Koth or you'll be feeling like Neo out if the Matrix for the first time, after that asswhooping =P
  • Monkeynutts85
    Monkeynutts85 Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    edited May 2017
    Options
    One turn ... matched 3 green gems that fell perfectly for a 5 red gem match and the rest is all one turn.....
    2W | 2U | 13R | 3G | 4L

Boggart Brute was cast by opponent
    Opponent gained an Extra Swap
    Opponent used ability Reshape the Land

24R | 3G | 6L
    12R | 1L

Urias's Champion was cast by opponent
    Scrapheap Scrounger was cast by opponent
    Sword of the Animist was cast by opponent
    this is soooooo frequent since the patch.

//Removed Screenshot Displaying In-Game Player's Name. Added Summary -Brigby
  • Volrak
    Volrak Posts: 732 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I wonder if we'll ever have a patch where nobody at all is convinced the AI was given some drastic yet unquantifiable benefit.
  • EDHdad
    EDHdad Posts: 609 Critical Contributor
    Options
    To be honest, 60 mana in one turn is pretty normal with Koth.