Feb 24 - 26 Fresh Cut PvP Tourney

Options
123457»

Comments

• pasa_ wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    jojeda654 wrote:
    Manged to get to #2 with 2.5 hrs left. Set up a 3 hr. shield. Dropped to #5 with 6 minutes left. Only #7 was unshielded from top ten. Did not want to break the shield because attacks start pouring in immediately. #7 ends up rocketing to #2. Ended up top 15. Ugh.

That is almost exactly what happened to me - shielded at #2 with 6 hours left, and watched myself gradually slip down the charts until I was 100 points out of the top 5.

I think for a tournament with wanted prizes you shall estimate the point range not the position. My bet was on 680 10 hours before end -- too bad we can't look at tables after the tournament, but it was pretty close.

Your experience is something I'd quite expect unless you were making a 100+ pts lead over the 3rd guy. If there's a huge gap, climbers will IMO likely to stop in that. If it was above you and you got only few points on the next positions then obviously climbers would go around you.

That's the thing - I was 100 points over the third guy. I had been in first earlier in the day by 100 points, and my defense was actually netting me positive points while I was unshielded. The bracket had seemed fairly sleepy until about 3 hours before it ended, when it went crazy.
  • KaioShinDE
    KaioShinDE Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I shielded at 3 with 7 hours left and ended up in Top5 after all. Keep in mind that for non-LRs there are different brackets. Don't join the PvP tourneys immediately after they unlock unless you can handle being grouped with all the pros. (Or you want seed teams for tanking), If you wait a while you can have luck and get in a fairly easy bracket. Experiment a bit.
  • KaioShinDE wrote:
    I shielded at 3 with 7 hours left and ended up in Top5 after all. Keep in mind that for non-LRs there are different brackets. Don't join the PvP tourneys immediately after they unlock unless you can handle being grouped with all the pros. (Or you want seed teams for tanking), If you wait a while you can have luck and get in a fairly easy bracket. Experiment a bit.

I've been finding that to be less reliable now because all the pros know that so they are joining at other odd times too. Not to mention the #1 guy in your bracket is usually some guy whose highest character is level 85 who happens to have a very favorable matchup. I mean, I still wouldn't join a bracket immediately unless I plan to be playing immediately too, but I'm not really sure if there's any meaningful advantage to join later unless you've more than one account (so you know when a new bracket opens up toward the end).
  • KaioShinDE
    KaioShinDE Posts: 265 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    At least hopefully the pros will get distributed over a bunch of different brackets if they also decide to join late. It's better to give up on top3 instead of on top15 icon_e_wink.gif
    But yeah it's hit and miss.
  • KaioShinDE wrote:

Yes, I joined 6-7 hours after it opened. It was just weird random bad luck.
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kept myself in the Top 15. Top 5 was a little too competitive and I have been focusing my energy on the PvE tournament.
  • It was odd - I played to get the 300 point token, and stopped - was at 65th late about 6 hours to go. Looked with one hour left - and I was up to 33rd! My D was winning! Go figure ~L40 Psylocke, L76 Patch, L60 Spidey

I played two more games and finished top 45.

Serendipity, thy name is Psylocke.