Feb 24 - 26 Fresh Cut PvP Tourney

Options

Comments

• Riggy wrote:
    Man, I would love to make a run up to 1200 for that red Psylocke, but there's not enough points in the eco-system right now. I'm at 944, and most matches are giving me 6-8. Can't see making it there before every retaliation is the equivalent of 20 wins to overcome.
    At least you can grab it pretty easily from round 2 of Mags Mayhem. Top 50 get red while I need to strive for top 15 to get the blue I need.

Awesome, thanks for the heads up! Target acquired.
  • Roya PQ wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    I went to bed in second place, at a little over 600 points, unshielded, 50 or so points behind first. I woke up at about 670 points, in first, 100 points ahead of second. I had won three defensive matches in the night, two to the same guy for +30 and +28 points, and lost one to end up +58 for the night. I had debated throwing up a shield before going to work but now I want to see what happens.

This has been a slightly odd tournament for me. I'm not complaining.

Man that guy must have had revenge on his mind to lose twice to you hahaha.

Yeah, I thought that was extremely weird.

Went home at lunch, was down -3 points, but I got hit for -27 while I was there. I also won a couple matches so it evened out. After I get home, I'll probably play a match or two and throw up an 8-hour shield - 1st is like 200 points above me and I'd rather spend time in the PVE and LRs.
  • I've been getting attacked a lot more than I'd think in this tournament. And I'm successfully defending most of the time, it seems! Psylocke at 77 with 4 in the black, Punisher approaching the level cap, and a 100 Spiderman annoying attackers endlessly. Feels pretty darn good, I have to admit.
  • Kamahl-FoK wrote:
    I've been getting attacked a lot more than I'd think in this tournament. And I'm successfully defending most of the time, it seems!

I think that this may be a side-effect of the skip tax, in a couple of ways. I think for one, people are more likely to take a match that may be too much for them to avoid a skip, including retaliating, and for the other, since a lot of us are beating up on weaker teams rather than paying to skip them (I know I am, somewhat reluctantly), we're getting retaliated against by people who don't realize they're going to lose.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    I think that this may be a side-effect of the skip tax, in a couple of ways. I think for one, people are more likely to take a match that may be too much for them to avoid a skip, including retaliating, and for the other, since a lot of us are beating up on weaker teams rather than paying to skip them (I know I am, somewhat reluctantly), we're getting retaliated against by people who don't realize they're going to lose.

Y'know what? That makes a lot of sense. I agree, and now feel a smidgen bad tanking so much in the LRs. I'm fairly high up and seeing teams like 36 Psylocke / 52 MN Magneto / 58 Storm at the hardest of my matchups.
  • If you're skipping merely because you're lazy then there's not much change. I'm still seeing pretty much exactly the same teams as I did before. By lazy, I mean that you're fielding a team that can beat anybody and you figure since you can beat anybody in roughly exactly the same time, you'd rather have a guy worth 30 points than 2 guys worth 15 points because you never lose and it's quicker to play 1 game than 2 games.

Now if you're skipping because there are actually teams you cannot beat, I suspect the skip tax actually does help your MMR because you'll actually start losing and then the game realizes that you're actually not supposed to be fighting those guys. Prior to the skip tax, there's no way the game can tell the difference whether you were skipping because you can beat anyone and just want to spend the least time possible, or that you were skipping because that's the only way you can win, so it probably assumes you're of the former type (you can beat anybody) and just keeps on present you with ever more difficult opponents.
  • Is it just me or are there a surprising number of high level Psylocke's running around in this tournament? Maybe I'm just in a weird MMR grouping but I'm seeing a lot of 50-100 Psylockes and have gone up against two different 141 Psylockes so far in this event. It's a bit surprising considering how recently the character was released. I was pretty proud of my 51 Psylocke, who is max level considering the 2/2/2 build I currently have, but I'm apparently small potatoes against the people I'm playing.

Is Psylocke just that cool/popular that people are dumping HP into her indiscriminately? Or am I just seeing a weird edge case?
  • Is it just me or are there a surprising number of high level Psylocke's running around in this tournament? Maybe I'm just in a weird MMR grouping but I'm seeing a lot of 50-100 Psylockes and have gone up against two different 141 Psylockes so far in this event. It's a bit surprising considering how recently the character was released. I was pretty proud of my 51 Psylocke, who is max level considering the 2/2/2 build I currently have, but I'm apparently small potatoes against the people I'm playing.

Is Psylocke just that cool/popular that people are dumping HP into her indiscriminately? Or am I just seeing a weird edge case?

I think people just think she's cool and more willing to dump HP/iso on her. Also she gives you a rather big edge in the current PvE event being the only major boosted character, so you get pretty good mileage from having a buffed Psylocke right now.

In terms of overall character balance, she's currently the strongest character against the Patch/Spiderman combo, though by strongest it really means you have a glimmer of chance versus no chance. Still, even a small chance to fight back against the premier offensive combo in the game is better than no chance at all, since your opponent could just go look for someone without Psylocke.
  • Is Psylocke just that cool/popular that people are dumping HP into her indiscriminately? Or am I just seeing a weird edge case?

Well compared to Daredevil she's the bee's knees, and her red/blacks are fun and spammable enough to merit capping off if you're close (and impatient). She's a faster, lower-damage (overall) Punisher with a bit more narrow scope, but her attack tiles hit harder and her red can become fairly cheap in the long term (although I can never get 3 strike tiles to stick).
  • Kamahl-FoK wrote:

Well compared to Daredevil she's the bee's knees, and her red/blacks are fun and spammable enough to merit capping off if you're close (and impatient). She's a faster, lower-damage (overall) Punisher with a bit more narrow scope, but her attack tiles hit harder and her red can become fairly cheap in the long term (although I can never get 3 strike tiles to stick).

I have trouble getting 3 strike tiles on the board, but there's really no need for it once you get the attack tile on the board with one or 2 strike tiles. That extra pop per match really adds up fast, and her low AP cost allows you to easily reset the combo if you're fighting someone with tile overwrite or board clearing abilities. I much prefer her to Punisher so far, but it is primarily a playstyle distinction for me. Not to mention the inevitable repeat of No Man's Land we'll see at some point.

I may buy a cover for her once I save up some more ISO and get what I can from the current Mags tourney. (Just levelled my C. Mags to 50ish as I just got decent covers for him)
  • Twysta
    Twysta Posts: 1,597 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Oh yeah! No Man's Land! She'll be invaluable for that!
  • A lot of people got her to 2/2/2 for free. Can't remember what the level cap is on that, but probably in the 50s. This PVE event has handed out a lot of tokens, with a good chance at Psylocke. So anyone who placed top 10 in Simulator and top 5 in Lone Star has had a chance at a Psylocke higher than 2/2/2 for a little bit. I personally am sitting at 3/2/3 and hope to move to 4/3/4 after Magnetic Mayhem.
  • 2hrs ago I started slowly grinding my way up, from about 350 (I lost about 150pts in the last 20hrs) up to 700 (2nd guy is shielding at 630, then there are 2 ppl above 500, the rest is 400+), when I wanted to shield for 8hrs. No retaliations, no attacks. Just when I hit 700, I got a cascade of attacks and dropped about 80pts. I was able to get some points back, but the attacks kept on comming.

Finally shielded at 670 in #1, hopefully I won't end further than top5.

EDIT: got hit, but won. at 690pts right now. good.

She is a good utility character with a solid amount of hit points. Her powers are fairly low in ap so I feel like I actually use her in every match and that makes me want to use her. Plus I love her cover, her animations and her overall bad-assery. As a woman, i love how she represents the female super hero - right in the middle of the fray because she is physically strong unlike lots of other female super heroes who have strong abilities that allow them to fight from a distance and can use their abilities to avoid hand to hand combat almost entirely. Plus she is buffed everywhere so I am enjoying the honeymoon icon_e_smile.gif
  • Emeryt wrote:
    2hrs ago I started slowly grinding my way up, from about 350 (I lost about 150pts in the last 20hrs) up to 700 (2nd guy is shielding at 630, then there are 2 ppl above 500, the rest is 400+), when I wanted to shield for 8hrs. No retaliations, no attacks. Just when I hit 700, I got a cascade of attacks and dropped about 80pts. I was able to get some points back, but the attacks kept on comming.

Finally shielded at 670 in #1, hopefully I won't end further than top5.

EDIT: got hit, but won. at 690pts right now. good.

I wanted to get #1 in this tourney and was considering spending a lot of time (and HP on shields) on it today, but I realized earlier it was futile. I'm in the same bracket as clintman and he must want that green X-force Wolvie or Red Psylocke real bad. He shielded last night over 800 and was shielded over 1000 at lunch time. I just can't hang with that, so I threw up my hands and put up the 8 hour shield at 720ish points. I'm sure that will snag me top 5 and get me the covers to finish my Magneto.
  • chamber44
    chamber44 Posts: 324 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    i'm sitting at 5th place, shielded at 590 points. first is shielded at 690, and I have 80 points worth of retaliations sitting in my queue. my shield runs out right after i put my kids to bed, so I can knock out those retaliations and keep my top-5.
  • My main comment so far is that the combo of her black Psychic Katana power and OBW is tinykitty cheap, both in cost and in usage as a combo.

If OBW has at least level 3 espionage, getting 6 black gems to use the katana happens every other turn after a while. It gets even easier with aggressive recon at level 3 or higher, when you can grab black gems as well.

As far as my placement goes, I'm yo-yoing around 8 and 15, as I'm one of the top unshielded competitors in my bracket, with just about all the top 10 shielded at 666 or higher.
  • DD-The-Mighty
    DD-The-Mighty Posts: 350 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    Kamahl-FoK wrote:
    I've been getting attacked a lot more than I'd think in this tournament. And I'm successfully defending most of the time, it seems!

Or their throwing in their tank squad because they know their best wont beat your best.
  • Ugh. That'll teach me to get greedy.

Was shielded at #2. Lined up some decent matches, and.... Go!

Cue worst board / cascade luck ever. I'm up against a lvl 40 M Storm and a 50-ish OBW. Three turns in, and both are firing off Lightning Storm / Aggressive recon almost none stop! I swear, one cascade netted about 8 purple / green / red for the AI. So much for my easy match.

I won the other two, but in between was attacked twice. Retal'd one, and then took one final match. Again, cascades of death, this time it was Thor doing Thunder strike / Call the Storm for fun. He got off two of each, downing my OBW and Psylocke, and leaving my Hulk gasping. I took Thor out, but was so weak I was downed by the stand-in Psylocke. Ouch.

So, shielded again after a net loss of 20 points and dropping to #4 in my bracket.

Lesson learned!
  • I really wanna get first in this, currently at 965 points and can't find any matches worth more than 10, except two - Rango and Song, and I'm not up for having slap-fights until the timer runs down (plus my score will go down while theirs goes up over time amidst said slapping). Someone else is keeping fairly close, keeps pushing every now and then, hopefully my 8 hour shield isn't for naught in pursuit of dat X-force. :c