*** Psylocke (Classic) ***

Comments

• eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    ronin-san wrote:
    I wonder if you could strategically use Psylocke's black after Ares' green to recoup what you just donated....
    I'm assuming you mean her blue?
    Only if enemy has pretty high green costs. After Ares uses green, you have to wait until it's your turn again for the Countdown blue-- they could use the green you gave in that time
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    mechgouki wrote:
    Anyone else thinks her costume in Xmen Sword of the Braddocks (cover used for Psylocke), resembles that of Emma Frost? I mean, it's a literal purple version of what Emma Frost wears from what I see. Except Emma wears a cape thingy.

http://imageupper.com/i/?S0400010080011 ... 8189103029
    It's a bustier. Apparently hot chicks in comics wear them, and models wear them IRL too! lol
  • Celerity wrote:
    Lyrian wrote:
    Psylocke (Classic)
    3 Star Rarity (Rare)

Psychic Knife - Red 8 AP
    Psylocke gains momentum, fluidly chaining attacks together. Deals 59 damage and creates a strength 12 Red Strike tile whenever fewer than 3 exist. Costs 1 less for each Red Strike Tile (min cost 5)
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: Increases Strike tile strength to 19
    Level 3: ???
    Level 4: ???
    Level 5: ???

Psi-Katana - Black 6 AP
    Psylocke carves the enemy up with her psionic katana. Deals 59 damage and leaves the enemy bleeding, converting a basic Black tile to an Attack tile that deals 14 damage to the current target each turn.
    Level Upgrades
    Level 2: 94 damage
    Level 3: ???
    Level 4: ???
    Level 5: ???

Food for thought... see underlined text.

The language of the text seems to imply that she creates new red tiles, not merely converting basic red ones a la Wolvie, Daken, and Doom? Hrmmm....

Lots of abilities use that same wording, I wouldn't read into it. Patch says "creates", Punisher says "converts", and Spider-Man even says "adds a new tile" even though they all behave exactly the same way, by converting a basic tile to a different type of tile.

+1
    Another ot the aspects of the game without much thought nor coherence is the abilities' descriptions. Good companies do use templating systems and give words specific meanings to give correct and coherent descriptions (i.e. Wizards of the Coast in MTG). I understand that this is in part to give some "flavor" to them, but an ability should be understandable only by reading it or, in any case, include a "rulings" sections with all the abilities' quirks and subtleties (see all the weird characteristics of traps in the DD thread, impossible to fathom without testing)
  • Wish Ice was around so we figure out her max stats. Can't figure how I would spec her... Probably */*/5. 5 in black looks pretty good ,6 blk ap makes it supremely spamable not to mention "bleed" tile.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    TheFallen wrote:
    Wish Ice was around so we figure out her max stats. Can't figure how I would spec her... Probably */*/5. 5 in black looks pretty good ,6 blk ap makes it supremely spamable not to mention "bleed" tile.

Her Black seems ridiculously well costed. Consider:

At level 15, her strong match strengths are black 8, blue 10, red 11.
    She will deal 48 damage making matching 3 black twice to get the AP needed for this skill. At Rank 1 it deals 59 damage, so not too different from the match damage. At Rank 2 it jumps to 94. That's huge, it's behaving more like a Red power than a Black power.

Similarly, her Red acts more like a Green - it's a "combo" attack rather than a "finisher". It's also ridiculously well costed. Consider:

At 8 AP it's equal in cost to Punisher's Green and both generate a strength 12 Strike tile. Psylocke will deal consistent damage, whereas Punisher is variable on his tile strength (and random firing location could mean you don't hit 9 tiles). At Rank 2 the difference between the two powers is Punisher's Strike tile becomes strength 14, Psylocke's becomes 19. (For further comparison, level 15 Patch's Green drops 2x strength 24 strike tiles for 9 AP with the drawback of 2x strike tiles for your enemy).

I am very interested to see what additional ranks do for both of these powers. Right now I think I would agree that 5 in Black is a given - Pyslocke is likely to be the only person on your team using Black AP and it's cheap. I think Red's strength will be in spamming it at 5 AP rather than using it for Strike tiles; it's actually got good synergy with Punisher's Green (after I've spent this time contrasting them) - at rank 5 he he can create the 3 strike tiles needed to drive the cost down to minimum for 9 Green. If you rely on re-casting Red, it'll take 21 AP before you get a chance to cast your first 5 cost.

I assume Blue will have some kind of "twist" for ranks 4 and 5. It's a big jump from 9 to 12 AP stolen between ranks 1 and 2. It would be tempting if she also stuns (maybe 1 target for 1 turn only).
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mawtful wrote:
    TheFallen wrote:
    Wish Ice was around so we figure out her max stats. Can't figure how I would spec her... Probably */*/5. 5 in black looks pretty good ,6 blk ap makes it supremely spamable not to mention "bleed" tile.

Her Black seems ridiculously well costed. Consider:

At level 15, her strong match strengths are black 8, blue 10, red 11.
    She will deal 48 damage making matching 3 black twice to get the AP needed for this skill. At Rank 1 it deals 59 damage, so not too different from the match damage. At Rank 2 it jumps to 94. That's huge, it's behaving more like a Red power than a Black power.

Similarly, her Red acts more like a Green - it's a "combo" attack rather than a "finisher". It's also ridiculously well costed. Consider:

At 8 AP it's equal in cost to Punisher's Green and both generate a strength 12 Strike tile. Psylocke will deal consistent damage, whereas Punisher is variable on his tile strength (and random firing location could mean you don't hit 9 tiles). At Rank 2 the difference between the two powers is Punisher's Strike tile becomes strength 14, Psylocke's becomes 19. (For further comparison, level 15 Patch's Green drops 2x strength 24 strike tiles for 9 AP with the drawback of 2x strike tiles for your enemy).

I am very interested to see what additional ranks do for both of these powers. Right now I think I would agree that 5 in Black is a given - Pyslocke is likely to be the only person on your team using Black AP and it's cheap. I think Red's strength will be in spamming it at 5 AP rather than using it for Strike tiles; it's actually got good synergy with Punisher's Green (after I've spent this time contrasting them) - at rank 5 he he can create the 3 strike tiles needed to drive the cost down to minimum for 9 Green. If you rely on re-casting Red, it'll take 21 AP before you get a chance to cast your first 5 cost.

I assume Blue will have some kind of "twist" for ranks 4 and 5. It's a big jump from 9 to 12 AP stolen between ranks 1 and 2. It would be tempting if she also stuns (maybe 1 target for 1 turn only).

I think Psylockes red only takes into account RED strike tiles, which means that it doesn't have too much synergy with Punisher. I currently have a 141 Punisher that I'm exclusively using, and I feel like Psylocke and Punisher fill too many similar roles and have too many colors in common to really work well together. The black ability is almost 100% overlap (Psylocke's attack tiles come out a lot faster, but Punisher does AoE damage), and all the red probably goes to Psylocke which leaves Punisher red-starved for his finisher. Not even considering Psylockes blue as it seems pretty mediocre and not worth having her on a team. I feel like you choose one character and neglect the other, and as is, I think Punisher has a leg up on Psylocke due to his green being a lot better than Psylocke's blue (barring some crazy level 5 OP shenanigans).
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think Psylockes red only takes into account RED strike tiles

Ah, you are correct. That does mean you have to spam Red (which makes it even more like a Green power - devs, you really need to hire a designer).
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mawtful wrote:

Ah, you are correct. That does mean you have to spam Red (which makes it even more like a Green power - devs, you really need to hire a designer).
    You're making some big assumptions about how colors are supposed to work.
  • Puritas
    Puritas Posts: 670 Critical Contributor
    DayvBang wrote:
    Mawtful wrote:

You're making some big assumptions about how colors are supposed to work.

Wait aren't they supposed to work by how the hero's colored clothing makes you feel inside???
  • NorthernPolarity
    So now that the simulator event is done with, people should be getting Psylocke covers. Anyone want to take the 11k HP plunge and level all covers up to 4 so that we can figure out her level 5 abilities? =D
  • It's only me, or her animations look kinda..underwhelming?
  • GEFPenst wrote:
    It's only me, or her animations look kinda..underwhelming?
    Quite the opposite I feel, they're pretty great.
  • Kamahl-FoK wrote:
    GEFPenst wrote:
    It's only me, or her animations look kinda..underwhelming?
    Quite the opposite I feel, they're pretty great.

These are definitely some of the best. Probably my favorite besides Punisher. The psi effects are really great, especially on Bewilder where the X pattern kind of lingers there.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 15
    edited February 2014
    Psylocke black at 5/5
    Cost:6
    Deals 153 Damage and leaves the enemy bleeding. Converting a basic black tile to a strike tile that deals 36 dmg to the current target each turn.
    Damage values at level 15

Blue at 5/5
    Cost: 8
    Converts a blue tile into a two turn countdown tile that Steals 19 ap from opponents largest ap pool
  • NorthernPolarity
    DaloneWolf wrote:
    Psylocke black at 5/5
    Deals 153 Damage and leaves the enemy bleeding. Converting a basic black tile to a strike tile that deals 36 dmg to the current target each turn.

Were levels 2-4 just direct damage upgrades?
  • Were levels 2-4 just direct damage upgrades?
    Yah damage and tile damage upgrades.
  • DaloneWolf wrote:
    Psylocke black at 5/5

Blue at 5/5
    Cost: 8
    Converts a blue tile into a two turn countdown tile that Steals 19 ap from opponents largest ap pool

On the blue, at what rank did it drop to 2 turn from 3 turn?
  • Levling it from 4 to 5 dropped the countdown. 1-4 are just ap total upgrades
  • Well that blows, 19 AP is overkill, rather rank up red and black to some nasty damage. Shame her health pool is abysmal.
  • We'll have to see how it scales, but a 36 damage attack tile at lv15 is insane. That's already 1/3 of what Punisher's is at max level, and the initial damage is about 3x Wolverine's green.