*** Psylocke (Classic) ***

Comments

• Looks like that black is beastly.

Who's the best 'black battery'? Doom?
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm not sold on the Black. Even if it's double damage than Punishers, thats a 1 100 damage attack tile at max level. The thing about attack tiles though is that their own damage isn't the greatest: what they seem to be used for is to abuse additional strike tile damage, in which case you only need one. it seems like her black does 50% more damage to a single target compared to Punisher who hits all 3, but this means that the attack doesn't scale as nicely with strike tiles vs Punisher. Unless her red gets significantly better at level 5, I can't see her being better than Punisher simply due to how her blue seems pretty mediocre.
  • Gonna max out soon just need some moar iso
  • NorthernPolarity
    DaloneWolf wrote:
    Gonna max out soon just need some moar iso

Thanks for reporting your findings here! It's really helpful for the masses.
  • Attack tiles are usually very good damage over time, even if they're not flashy.

Daredevil and Psylocke shows a rather clear direction of how AP stealing abilities is going to be limited in the future.
  • Alright my friend maxed his to 141 and made a 5/3/5
    Health: 5800
    Damage: 67:red
    60:blue
    52:black

Red: Psychic Knife 5/5
    Cost:8
    Deals 965 damage, creates a 192 strength red strike tile. Reduces cost per strike tile on the board.

Black: Psi Katana 5/5
    Cost: 6
    Deals 965 damage and leaves the enemy bleeding. Converting a black tile into a 231 attack tile that damages the current opponent each turn.

Cheers good luck!
  • Moral
    Moral Posts: 512
    DaloneWolf wrote:
    Alright my friend maxed his to 141 and made a 5/3/5

Deals 965 damage, creates a 192 strength red strike tile. Reduces cost per strike tile on the board.

Deals 965 damage and leaves the enemy bleeding. Converting a black tile into a 231 attack tile that damages the current opponent each turn.

Cheers good luck!

Is there still a 3 red strike tile limit, or did that raise with progression of covers?
  • Whenever fewer than 3 exist so yah 3 tile limit
  • Unknown
    edited February 2014
    Reposted for new page:
    DaloneWolf wrote:
    Alright my friend maxed his to 141 and made a 5/3/5

Blue at 5/5
    Cost: 8
    Converts a blue tile into a two turn countdown tile that Steals 19 ap from opponents largest ap pool

Cheers good luck!

Hmm .. not looking great. Looks more like a support-attack character with a little damage flexability and a touch of AP stealing.
  • So, compared to Punisher, we have...

Health: Exactly the same
    Black: 6AP for 1k single target damage and 231 instant attack tile vs 7AP for 550 AoE damage and 113 delayed attack tile
    Strike tiles: 8AP red for 1k damage + 192 strike vs 8AP green for ~300 damage + 300 strike
    Third ability: Mediocre AP steal vs mediocre damage skill

They seem pretty well balanced to me. Punisher is clearly going to be better against high HP targets, but Psylocke actually has one of the best reds in the game now, and there are lots of other characters with good green skills that she could be paired with. Psylocke/Hulk would be a better combo than Punisher/Hulk, for example.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Sigh, yet another mediocre character. She'd be good with dakon who can put a bunch of quick strike tiles on the board. First daredevil now her. I'm not holding out much hope for black panther.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Celerity wrote:
    So, compared to Punisher, we have...

Black: 6AP for 1k single target damage and 231 instant attack tile vs 7AP for 550 AoE damage and 113 delayed attack tile
    Strike tiles: 8AP red for 1k damage + 192 strike vs 8AP green for ~300 damage + 300 strike

They seem pretty well balanced to me. Punisher is clearly going to be better against high HP targets, but Psylocke actually has one of the best reds in the game now, and there are lots of other characters with good green skills that she could be paired with. Psylocke/Hulk would be a better combo than Punisher/Hulk, for example.

I think retribution has far more utility than the AP steal ability. While Retribution's damage ratio isn't great, its invaluable when its taking 8k off of that 230 buffed Hulk. On average against 141 people with 5.8k it'll be ~2.3k damage for 8AP, which is still reasonable, and it only scales up from there when you're facing buffed or high level PvE heroes.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Thanos wrote:
    Sigh, yet another mediocre character. She'd be good with dakon who can put a bunch of quick strike tiles on the board. First daredevil now her. I'm not holding out much hope for black panther.

She's pretty bad with Daken actually, since she wont place a strike tile if there are more than 3 red ones on the board. I really want another character that has spidey colors to complete the color rainbow with Punisher.
  • Thanos wrote:

She would be terrible with Daken, since her red wouldn't make any strike tiles and there would be no green skill between the two of them.

Statwise, she's about equal to Punisher, but I would argue that she's better simply because it's easier to find a good green skill than a good red one. She's definitely going to be one of the premier damage dealers moving forward, although nobody can compete with Patch.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2014
    Overlooked the 3 strike tile limit. Still think i like Punisher better. One you have some of his strike tiles on the board his Molotov does near 3x the total damage as her black .

Btw, are you the same celerity that used to stream MTGO on twitch?
  • Moral
    Celerity wrote:
    So, compared to Punisher, we have...

I think retribution has far more utility than the AP steal ability. While Retribution's damage ratio isn't great, its invaluable when its taking 8k off of that 230 buffed Hulk. On average against 141 people with 5.8k it'll be ~2.3k damage for 8AP, which is still reasonable, and it only scales up from there when you're facing buffed or high level PvE heroes.

Judgement's tile destruction limits how many special tiles he can maintain. By the time I get more than 6 on the board, I'm smashing 1-2 to gain 3.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Thanos wrote:
    Overlooked the 3 strike tile limit. Still think i like Punisher better. One you have some of his strike tiles on the board his Molotov does near 3x the total damage as her black .

Ditto. If her blue was better I think she would be more competitive with Punisher, but as is, I'm sticking with my 141 Punisher (yay for bias!) as my utility strike tile / dps guy.
  • My team remains gsbw,spidey,punisher
  • Thanos wrote:

It's true, his green and black synergize really well, but I've used Punisher as my main character since he came out and my biggest problem with him is his lack of burst damage. His red is awful, and his black requires 3 matches and 3 more turns to get going, so you don't start getting bonus strike damage from it for a very long time. At that stage, I would usually prefer if the black damage were single target, because the current target is near death. Psylocke's black becomes active after 2 matches and on the very first turn, plus she gets way more burst damage from her red, so she'll have the first character down by the time Punisher could use his Judgment+Molotov combo.
  • Moral
    Punisher green, black aoe early, red finishing
    Psylocke red early, black late
    Spidey purple protect, yellow heal, blue stun.

Not overly beefy, death by 1000 paper cuts team.