MtGPQ 1.7 Release Notes (9/27/16)

Options
1235»

Comments

• wink
    wink Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    wink wrote:
    Sorin's redesigned second ability (Vampiric Power) creates a support. Does anyone know how many shields that support will have?
    Oh, in addition, does anyone know how many shields Sorin's 3rd ability (the one that isn't being changed) has?
  • Pqmtg-
    Pqmtg- Posts: 282
    Options
    wink wrote:
    wink wrote:
    Sorin's redesigned second ability (Vampiric Power) creates a support. Does anyone know how many shields that support will have?
    Oh, in addition, does anyone know how many shields Sorin's 3rd ability (the one that isn't being changed) has?

I think it's 5
  • wink
    wink Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Pqmtg- wrote:
    wink wrote:
    wink wrote:

I think it's 5
    Thanks!
  • Nitymp
    Nitymp Posts: 320 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Yes definitely 5
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    All good points taken. But I don't believe the Tyrant requires a fix. That's all I'm really saying. If it was just a rare, maybe. Maybe. But it's a mythic. It's supposed to be a potentially game-changing card, and that's what it is, no more and no less. Besides, with a lvl 60 pw getting 20 mana in a turn is easy. They can fix it or leave it, I'm good either way.
    The fact that it popped up at all in the update notes was why I brought it up in the first place. I honestly didn't know it was even a bug. It seemed like it was supposed to work that way.

Whether it needs a "fix" or not, per the card text tokens should not count. Nor should clues.

"When you cast a Spell, Support or Creature, this creature costs 1 less until the end of your turn."

The operative MTG word here is "cast". Placing a token or support clue onto the battlefield is not Casting. Nor for example would Nahari's reinforce ability, or Kiora's octopus summon be Casting.
  • ThatRandomGuy
    Options
    "Fixed text error when viewing Subjugator Angel"

This is an interesting tidbit from the patch notes... Subjugator Angel is a creature from Eldritch Moon...
  • Cragger
    Cragger Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Cards, Planeswalkers & Gameplay
    - Avacyn's Judgment should now always deal damage correctly.

The card text was changed from "Repeat this three times." To "Repeat this two times."

I know that madness seems to be viewed as a cost reduction during design and therefore increases the base casting cost of a card, but a rare that deals six damage for nine mana seems off the curve.

I would have preferred the card do what it said than to have fixed the text to reflect how it had been working. Eight damage for nine mana fits the rare power level fine, even with Madness as a cost reducer and the ability to split the damage.

Exquisite Firecraft deals six for six at rare, and Serpentine Spike deals 15 for 14 at mythic, plus splits the damage in the 4, 5, 6 "cone" AND has Ingest/Devoid.

At the very least, the change log could have been more forthcoming with the actual nature of the change.
  • octal9
    octal9 Posts: 593 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Cragger wrote:
    but a rare that deals six damage for nine mana seems off the curve.
    Agreed. Joraga's Invocation (potentially) gives 18 damage for just 14 mana.
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Cragger wrote:
    but a rare that deals six damage for nine mana seems off the curve
    You're discounting madness. Any discard gives the card 3 mana but more importantly, the card can't be discarded. That protects the card when you're dealing with discard spells against you and PW powers.
  • mouser
    mouser Posts: 529 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The multiple targets is a notable advantage for Avacyn. Often you can finish off two creatures, or roll excess damage that would have been wasted over to another creature or PW.
  • Cragger
    Cragger Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Cragger wrote:
    but a rare that deals six damage for nine mana seems off the curve
    You're discounting madness. Any discard gives the card 3 mana but more importantly, the card can't be discarded. That protects the card when you're dealing with discard spells against you and PW powers.

I am not discounting madness, I stated that madness may be overvalued. Part of the problem there is that every card with "Madness X" has Madness 3. Every rarity has the same value, to the detriment of card design.

I firmly believe that cards with Madness are unable to be discarded so that the AI can play them, not so that they have any benefit to the player.

Regardless of arguments on design, this adds to the established trend that if it is simpler to correct the text than to make a card work as stated, they will. For a game where you are able to spend real money to gain virtual resources, wording and the costing of resources should be more carefully controlled.
  • Rootbreaker
    Options
    The only time I take advantage of madness is with forgotten creation or behold the beyond, so making madness cards discardable would be a pretty big negative IMO.
  • Corn_Noodles
    Corn_Noodles Posts: 477 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Cragger wrote:
    Part of the problem there is that every card with "Madness X" has Madness 3. Every rarity has the same value, to the detriment of card design.
    You're right about that. If madness numbers were distributed differently based on rarity, I think you'd see it being a better mechanic.
  • Plastic
    Plastic Posts: 762 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Cragger wrote:
    Part of the problem there is that every card with "Madness X" has Madness 3. Every rarity has the same value, to the detriment of card design.
    You're right about that. If madness numbers were distributed differently based on rarity, I think you'd see it being a better mechanic.

I think this is a worthy suggestion to push. They did varying costs for awaken cards based on rarity, so why not madness? Manipulating a value of madness mana gain can't be that hard to change. Especially with how few madness cards exist in PQ.
  • Azazel
    Options
    Not sure if it was pointed out, but the Sage's Werewolf form still says it draws 2 cards when transforming to that form.

Edit: And I can confirm that it doesn't draw 2 cards like the card says, but it's consistent with the update notes.