**** Drax (The Destroyer) ****

Options

Comments

• Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Options
    actually just "blah" but yeah, I think he simply isn't ready for the meta yet.
    He'll get there.
  • Blahahah
    Options
    So I finally maxxed out and championed my Drax.

Hooooooly **** why do people think this character is bad. So much beef in his attacks. One shotting Jean Grey is so nice. Level 300-ish OML? Once I use black, they never heal back.

It's so great. Glad I made him my 2nd 4*.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Who do you like to use him with?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Blahahah wrote:

Hooooooly tinykitty why do people think this character is bad. So much beef in his attacks. One shotting Jean Grey is so nice. Level 300-ish OML? Once I use black, they never heal back.

But lots of 4*s hit hard now, and their abilities aren't nearly as hard to leverage as drax's.

give me Kate any day. Almost as much direct damage, but no need to end the turn, or create CD tiles to boost damage.

Of course, any 4* champ is better than none, so if he was the only one you had at 13/13, then champing him is still worth it. But there are probably 15-20 4*s I would want to have maxed before drax.

Edit:

Off the top of my head:

Definitely prioritized above drax:
    Iceman (best 4* there is IMO)
    Punisher Max (uncapped damage on that black)
    Rulk (self-acceleration ftw)
    Cyclops (maybe the best ap generation in 4* land)
    Nova (fast, beefy strike tiles all day long, and cheap quasi-stun to boot)
    quake (kishu, what kishu. . .)
    Peggy (she's hood in 4* land, but with health!)
    Kate Bishop (heavy damage, easier to manage powers than drax)
    Xpool (true healing!)
    X-23 (true healing!)
    IMHB (a bit long in the tooth these days, but those strike tiles are still beefy, and he generates red very well)
    Jean Grey (also a bit weak these days, but her PVE utility against goons is second to none, even if her defensive value in PVP is mostly a gone)
    4* thor (as long as I get IM40 too!)

Maybe prioritized above drax:
    Thing (fun with forcing enemy attack priority)
    Ghost Rider (black was made to fight 5*s)
    Flaptain (surprisingly useful against bosses with that massive red nuke)
    Moon Knight (even more damage than drax, but just as hard to control)
    Kingpin (need yellow? bring kingpin!)
    War Machine (decent boardshake and strong blue nuke, great against invisible foes)
    Winter Soldier (I really like ap theft, but that might be a personal bias)
  • Blahahah
    Options
    Who do you like to use him with?
    Right now, only Ant Man. Works wonders though.
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:

Hooooooly tinykitty why do people think this character is bad. So much beef in his attacks. One shotting Jean Grey is so nice. Level 300-ish OML? Once I use black, they never heal back.

But lots of 4*s hit hard now, and their abilities aren't nearly as hard to leverage as drax's.

give me Kate any day. Almost as much direct damage, but no need to end the turn, or create CD tiles to boost damage.

Of course, any 4* champ is better than none, so if he was the only one you had at 13/13, then champing him is still worth it. But there are probably 15-20 4*s I would want to have maxed before drax.

Edit:

Off the top of my head:

Definitely prioritized above drax:
    Iceman (best 4* there is IMO)
    Punisher Max (uncapped damage on that black)
    Rulk (self-acceleration ftw)
    Cyclops (maybe the best ap generation in 4* land)
    Nova (fast, beefy strike tiles all day long, and cheap quasi-stun to boot)
    quake (kishu, what kishu. . .)
    Peggy (she's hood in 4* land, but with health!)
    Kate Bishop (heavy damage, easier to manage powers than drax)
    Xpool (true healing!)
    X-23 (true healing!)
    IMHB (a bit long in the tooth these days, but those strike tiles are still beefy, and he generates red very well)
    Jean Grey (also a bit weak these days, but her PVE utility against goons is second to none, even if her defensive value in PVP is mostly a gone)
    4* thor (as long as I get IM40 too!)

Maybe prioritized above drax:
    Thing (fun with forcing enemy attack priority)
    Ghost Rider (black was made to fight 5*s)
    Flaptain (surprisingly useful against bosses with that massive red nuke)
    Moon Knight (even more damage than drax, but just as hard to control)
    Kingpin (need yellow? bring kingpin!)
    War Machine (decent boardshake and strong blue nuke, great against invisible foes)
    Winter Soldier (I really like ap theft, but that might be a personal bias)

In order:
    Working on IceMan, I want him to maybe be my 3rd.
    I like Max, but only have one cover for him.
    Working on Rulk, but I think I'd rather have Drax personally. That's just me.
    Cyclops would be cool, but outside of the sexy flanders latex and yellow I find him meh.
    Nova looks fun, but not something I'd use. Plus why go through making tons of strike tiles when I can just kill something outright? Nova would be good on another team, but considering my other maxed 4* is Ant Man... Yeah.
    Don't like Quake. That's all there is to that one.
    She came out like a week ago.
    Tried Kate in a sandbox, seems clunky. Don't like the flow, and she clashes with 2 colors with Ant Man.
    Same problem with XPool. Seems fine when boosted, but would still rather insta-gib folks with 8k crits or 13k. Plus set-up isn't actually that hard to do tbh. People play it up wayyy too much.
    X-23 was another possible choice for a third since I need green covered.
    IMHB's time has passed.
    Jean is cool and all, also considered her since she is decently covered but not covered enough.
    Don't use or have IM40, so no 4thor. Also no covers for her.

Maybe list:
    Thing is a cool guy. I like his stuns and protect tiles, but just feels too easy to work around without 4pool throwing out jibblets.
    Eww. Would rather just kill a 5* outright with black than wait until my team is wiped to do it.
    Don't PvE. Otherwise... meh. Maybe.
    Came out like a week ago. Also, don't like his abilities. "Random" never sits well with me.
    Have Kingpin at 200 right now. Mmm... Yellow.
    Considered War Machine for a third because of his green and countdowns, but covers haven't gone well.
    Winter Soldier clashes on too many colors. AP theft is nice but I could use a lot of characters for that who do it better.

I'm biased, of course. I like Drax, I like the way he feels and operates and the beefy damage he dishes out. Especially with Ant Man on his side, it works wonders. Ant man was my first maxed 4*, and originally Mr. F was going to be my second but then Drax hit and I was like "I like what I see.". Maybe it's just me, maybe I just don't have the trouble with getting 3 or 4 black matches like some folks do, but I find the ability to **** one person at 8 red, outright kill another at 12 black, and having the big body to boot is a great asset.

Like I'm not saying he is the next top tier god, or a meta changer like Peggy, but what I am saying is people give him far too little credit. He certainly isn't bad by any means, 8k for 8 and 12k for 12 is good regardless, and even WITHOUT the bonus he still pulls IMHB punch like numbers. Plus I doubt anyone is going to want to fight a Drax and risk outright losing one of their characters or half of another's health trying to grind down almost 18k health on a guy who only needs 8 red to do some significant damage.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    Drax's red is definitely his best power, and ant-man is probably his best 4* partner. So champ'ing him probably wasn't a bad idea for you (definitely better than fantastic)

But I can't get excited about that black. 13k is fine, but 13k for 19 ap (since you need ant-man yellow to get the bonus damage) is less compelling than several other abilities. And drax has little defensive value. The ai won't be able to use any of his abilities well, and he doesn't have any aoe or other hard-to-manage passives. Health is his only real asset in defense.

Also, i wouldn't get too hung up on color synergy now. It will matter a little in the short term, but inn the long run you will have plenty characters to mix and match and a little overlap won't be a big deal.

You are sleeping on rulk, quake, and nova though. All significantly better than drax imo.
  • Blahahah
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Drax's red is definitely his best power, and ant-man is probably his best 4* partner. So champ'ing him probably wasn't a bad idea for you (definitely better than fantastic)

But I can't get excited about that black. 13k is fine, but 13k for 19 ap (since you need ant-man yellow to get the bonus damage) is less compelling than several other abilities. And drax has little defensive value. The ai won't be able to use any of his abilities well, and he doesn't have any aoe or other hard-to-manage passives. Health is his only real asset in defense.

Also, i wouldn't get too hung up on color synergy now. It will matter a little in the short term, but inn the long run you will have plenty characters to mix and match and a little overlap won't be a big deal.

You are sleeping on rulk, quake, and nova though. All significantly better than drax imo.
    In fairness, I never plan on defense anyhow. I'm a sprint climber. Cover 700 pts, lose like 400 in the night, just go and climb another 700. Sort of like Winfinite, only instead of doing it in one big combo I do it in multiple smaller combos.

Well I mean it's 19 but I essentially have 3 turns to get it and if I don't then it's not like more yellow is hard to get. That's what I like about it. 12 black and some yellow? Free ****. Otherwise, I can sit on the black but the yellow has no detriment of being fired. 6k is also one hell of a closer no matter who you are in 4* land.

It's one of those things. OCD. I like completeness of it, plus it always sucks to have a trillion green AP but nothing to use it with. When it comes to overlap, I just prefer for Ant Man to work uninhibited by anything and for Drax to hit his red.

Probably. I do like Rulk, he seems fun but just very one-dimensional. Quake is ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh, and Nova I have planned for a different team is all.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    I don't mean that you should ignore color overlap when building a team. That is definitely important.

What I mean is that you shouldn't prioritize 4* X over 4* Y on your 'next to level' list just because Y happens to overlap with your current A-Team of Ant-man and Drax. In the long run, you will have lots of different options to make a rainbow team, and if 4* Y is significantly better than 4* X (or Ant-man, or drax) then you are better off leveling Y and not worrying about color overlap. You can find a boosted 3* with the right colors in the short term, and a different 4* partner in the long run.
  • Blahahah
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    I don't mean that you should ignore color overlap when building a team. That is definitely important.

What I mean is that you shouldn't prioritize 4* X over 4* Y on your 'next to level' list just because Y happens to overlap with your current A-Team of Ant-man and Drax. In the long run, you will have lots of different options to make a rainbow team, and if 4* Y is significantly better than 4* X (or Ant-man, or drax) then you are better off leveling Y and not worrying about color overlap. You can find a boosted 3* with the right colors in the short term, and a different 4* partner in the long run.

Oh I never do. The covers come as they do, though in fairness I did devote more iso to Drax but for a while he was my second highest covered (behind mr f whom I sold off)
  • Blahahah
    Options
    I should mention right now my team is Ant Man, Drax, and Iron Fist.
    That black acceleration is godlike.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Blahahah wrote:

Try switch instead of fist for your team. Automatically collect pink while you're collecting black and you can fire antman pink at same time as you fire drax black.
  • Blahahah
    Options
    Blahahah wrote:

Try switch instead of fist for your team. Automatically collect pink while you're collecting black and you can fire antman pink at same time as you fire drax black.
    Ant Man pink doesn't do much for me in comparison to his blue which counters out a lot of lower level OML and the usual Fist/Cage type teams.
    However, Drax black is a game ender for people. The fact that fist's purple takes priority because of its low cost is great for it too.

But it's an interesting proposition, and one I used to do with my Kingpin/Ant Man/ Switch team
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Blahahah wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:

Ant Man pink doesn't do much for me in comparison to his blue
    SW also gives you lots of free blue (usually when you don't want it though)
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Blahahah wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:

Ant Man pink doesn't do much for me in comparison to his blue which counters out a lot of lower level OML and the usual Fist/Cage type teams.
    However, Drax black is a game ender for people. The fact that fist's purple takes priority because of its low cost is great for it too.

But it's an interesting proposition, and one I used to do with my Kingpin/Ant Man/ Switch team

I'm an antman fan and often run antman/falcap/switch as a team which collects blue while accelerating pink to the point where you can do a grow punch pretty early and knock out 1 character and almost have enough blue for a second grow punch...it also gives you a very good nuke with falcap red
  • Blahahah
    Options
    So Drax is boosted in the event.

Black does 23k (or 14k) for 12 black
    Red does 8k natural or 16k at 90% for 8
    Purple can do up to 17k-ish for 7 and a turn

*breaks into a cold sweat*
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 625 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Blahahah wrote:

icon_eek.gif Amazing!!

Blahahah, I've really enjoyed / been thankful for your ongoing commentary on Drax in this thread! I initially thought he looked pretty meh on paper from the start, but I feel I can build him up with confidence now (even moreso now while seeing his boosted stats). Thanks!
  • Blahahah
    Options
    Blahahah wrote:

icon_eek.gif Amazing!!

Blahahah, I've really enjoyed / been thankful for your ongoing commentary on Drax in this thread! I initially thought he looked pretty meh on paper from the start, but I feel I can build him up with confidence now (even moreso now while seeing his boosted stats). Thanks!
    The numbers were actually wrong.

Black really does 27k, Red is more around 17k, and purple is like... 15k.
    But still, great numbers. 14k on base isn't something anyone wants to fight into.
  • notamutant
    notamutant Posts: 855 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Blahahah wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:

icon_eek.gif Amazing!!

The numbers were actually wrong.

Black really does 27k, Red is more around 17k, and purple is like... 15k.
    But still, great numbers. 14k on base isn't something anyone wants to fight into.

Honestly, I would rather just get a Drax red team-up and forget bringing him. Just like Ghost Rider's black, it isn't worth bringing a character just for a single good skill when the team-up does just fine.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    Blahahah wrote:

I continue to think you are undervaluing the drawbacks.

Those numbers are flashy. But just about every boosted 4* champ has flashy numbers.

Xpool was boosted last week. His red did 16k damage plus 10k healing for me. All for 13 red (i.e. 1 red plus 6 yellow for im40). His purple did 3k per CD tilem plus the cascades and match damage. Black would have been even better except that it's threshold damage was hard to reach. So 14k for 12 black isn't great.

23K for 12 black would indeed be awesome. But you need CDs to get that damage. And CDs cost ap too.

We've had this argument becore, so I won't go into more detail. I don't think drax is bad, per se. He's just not especially good. If you have a deep 4* bench, then there is typically a better option.
  • Blahahah
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:

I continue to think you are undervaluing the drawbacks.

Those numbers are flashy. But just about every boosted 4* champ has flashy numbers.

Xpool was boosted last week. His red did 16k damage plus 10k healing for me. All for 13 red (i.e. 1 red plus 6 yellow for im40). His purple did 3k per CD tilem plus the cascades and match damage. Black would have been even better except that it's threshold damage was hard to reach. So 14k for 12 black isn't great.

23K for 12 black would indeed be awesome. But you need CDs to get that damage. And CDs cost ap too.

We've had this argument becore, so I won't go into more detail. I don't think drax is bad, per se. He's just not especially good. If you have a deep 4* bench, then there is typically a better option.

I don't know, I just like it.
    I mean in Balance of power his black does 110k or so. It's rather beefy.

Also I didn't think it was an argument so much as a discussion. I've already admitted that I don't have a deep pool (My jean only just now got covered) and am operating solely on preference, so I conceded to most of your points barring I think two of them.