**** Drax (The Destroyer) ****

Comments

• Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    notamutant wrote:

Honestly, I would rather just get a Drax red team-up and forget bringing him. Just like Ghost Rider's black, it isn't worth bringing a character just for a single good skill when the team-up does just fine.

Well to be fair, purple also does a crazy amount of damage for just 7AP (and a turn:S ) and he has a lot of life.

I still think he might be worth using when champed+buffed depending who else you have buffed that week, but now that 4s are buffed to 370, the difference in life is not that important (even Jean has 30k hitpoints icon_razz.gif) and I still don't understand why devs decided that purple would not trigger with your own powers (this is going to make our life much difficult in his DDQ4).
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blahahah:

Call it a friendly argument. icon_e_smile.gif

Definitely no hard feelings!
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 623 Critical Contributor
    Blahahah wrote:
    Who do you like to use him with?
    Right now, only Ant Man. Works wonders though.

5594407bc1b6e.jpg
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    In Black Vortex:

"Oh hey, Drax is boosted! What fun! *One shots 95% of people*"

In balance of power:

"Oh hey Drax is boosted! What fun! *one shots like 80% of people*"

In High Stakes:

"Oh Hey, Drax is boosted! *One shots 95% of people*"

Its just a good week to be a Drax player.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blahahah wrote:
    All three of you must be having a blast icon_e_wink.gif
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    Blahahah wrote:
    In Black Vortex:

In balance of power:

In High Stakes:

How much dmg does the boosted red does?
  • Blahahah
    atomzed wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:
    In Black Vortex:

In balance of power:

In High Stakes:

How much dmg does the boosted red does?
    Right now, 16k which is enough to one-shot any Blade that isn't over 300 and pretty much anyone he might be paired with.
    Add also all of the other boosted characters either are terrible or lose super hard to ant man.
  • Polares
    Doubt doubts doubts. My Drax is right now 5/5/3 (this is basically how I pulled the covers), but yesterday I pulled one red, and now I have doubts where to go from here.

I have always thought 3/5/5 is his best build (so he is as fast as possible and he doesn't need other chars to create countdowns) but purple is completely useless for his DDQ4, and I dont think I am going to level him past the 120-150 level required to beat his DDQ4 anytime soon, so now I am wondering if the best I can do is respec him to 5/4/4 (and If I got another red to 5/3/5).
  • Blahahah
    Polares wrote:
    Doubt doubts doubts. My Drax is right now 5/5/3 (this is basically how I pulled the covers), but yesterday I pulled one red, and now I have doubts where to go from here.

I have always thought 3/5/5 is his best build (so he is as fast as possible and he doesn't need other chars to create countdowns) but purple is completely useless for his DDQ4, and I dont think I am going to level him past the 120-150 level required to beat his DDQ4 anytime soon, so now I am wondering if the best I can do is respec him to 5/4/4 (and If I got another red to 5/3/5).
    5/3/5 is the best by far.
  • Polares
    Blahahah wrote:
    Polares wrote:

Can you elaborate a bit?

I think that even though purple makes you lose a turn 7.5k damage for 8AP is extremely good, that is 16-17k when buffed! Black has the problem that forces you to play with someone with cheap countdown like Antman (and then you are paying for both powers, so that is like 12+7).

But for DDQ4 that config is obviously the best one.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares wrote:
    Black has the problem that forces you to play with someone with cheap countdown like Antman
    The bigger problem for black is that OML exists.

Unless I knew I was only going to use him in DDQ4, 5/5/3 would be my strong preference.
  • Polares
    simonsez wrote:
    Polares wrote:
    Black has the problem that forces you to play with someone with cheap countdown like Antman
    The bigger problem for black is that OML exists.

Unless I knew I was only going to use him in DDQ4, 5/5/3 would be my strong preference.

Well yeah, and PH will use purple and red, GG black and purple, IM red, etc. icon_razz.gif

It is obvious that 5s are stronger and any color that clashes with any maxed or popular 5 is not going to be used in general (well there is always Heroics :O)

I guess I should just respec him for DDQ4 which is the only place were I am probably going to use him... At least he has a ton of life so he should win his DDQ4 without need of levelling him too much.
  • Blahahah
    Polares wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:
    Polares wrote:

Can you elaborate a bit?

I think that even though purple makes you lose a turn 7.5k damage for 8AP is extremely good, that is 16-17k when buffed! Black has the problem that forces you to play with someone with cheap countdown like Antman (and then you are paying for both powers, so that is like 12+7).

But for DDQ4 that config is obviously the best one.

7.5k for 8ap would be good IF there weren't so many absurdly good partners for him which need that purple more.
    Also you need the AP to fire off another ability as well, while it may not be cooldowns specifically, So you're trading a turn AND 8 AP AND probably at least 6 more AP to do half as much damage. Black does as much damage as purple does just about even without any countdowns, and he can make his own countdowns using purple (though its not advised) and there are tons of characters who could give me more than ample amounts of countdowns to chew through. Keep in mind that with 3 countdown tiles on the deck, he is dealing about 14k damage.

Without it, that's still a 7k atomic nuke being shot at the opponent, a hit which no one wants to have to take. His red throwin in the other 8k is also pretty great.

I think personally it comes down to the fact that if Drax is my only character left, I'd rather have an ability I can fire (even for slightly less damage) with no downside than an ability I can't even activate on my own which makes me skip a turn. That's just me though, I like gimping IM40s for funsies.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    I just got my thirteenth Drax cover just in time for his boosted week. He's 3/5/5 which seems decent enough, and level 209. I'm considering whether to champ him now or wait for another cover first.
    Anyone have any advice about how to use him?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    I just got my thirteenth Drax cover just in time for his boosted week. He's 3/5/5 which seems decent enough, and level 209. I'm considering whether to champ him now or wait for another cover first.

I think Blahahah is Chief Drax Evangelist on the boards, so he/she might have more useful advice.

Antman + drax is probably the best way to use his black (or you could try new Cho + Switch for 2 infinite CDs), but maybe not worth it with just 3 covers. His red is pretty straightfoward and quite solid on its own. Not sure how best to make use his purple.
  • Blahahah
    Quebbster wrote:

At 3/5/5, you're going to need some heavy control characters, or massive AP gain.

Drax is a character who benefits most from focusing on one target while destroying those around them. Since his red only does bonus damage to targets above a certain health, use it to quickly cleave down enemies on the sidelines before returning to your main target.

Secret weapon is a big risk/big reward ability that benefits most when you're able to combo it with effects that massively empower your attack damage. This makes Nova a great partner for Drax: his yellow and black both make great, inexpensive triggers for Drax purple, meanwhile his Red retains viability later into the game as a stun when needed.

The destroyer is his trademark skill, while the cost is high the value matches it well. If partnered with a character whom can make multiple countdown tiles (ant man or squirrel girl), Drax can harvest them for a big bulk damage hit. With each one giving about 2k extra damage, it's up to the player to decide to eat them or not.

Your team will change depending on your build, as all three are roughly the same power level and need the same amount of catering needed.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Quebbster wrote:

I think Blahahah is Chief Drax Evangelist on the boards, so he/she might have more useful advice.

Antman + drax is probably the best way to use his black (or you could try new Cho + Switch for 2 infinite CDs), but maybe not worth it with just 3 covers. His red is pretty straightfoward and quite solid on its own. Not sure how best to make use his purple.

Purple is pretty cheap so Im thinking with SW you could cast it several times. It also ends the turn so you can use that to your advantage when you got no good moves on the board. You need someone to trigger that purple so any character with cheap abilities would do (Ant-Man has CD's and it only costs 7 AP)
  • Blahahah
    As an extra "fun fact", Drax purple will trigger, even on abilities that normally end the turn. This makes it so that if you were to use Secret Weapon followed by Old Man Logan's Living Legend, you'd reap the big attack tiles and then immediately get benefit from them. However, giving up two turns is a steep price to pay; the trade off is Drax will be pushed to the front for both of those turns to tank damage, perhaps allowing other members to avoid the brunt of the damage or allowing OML to have extra turns to heal up.
  • Blahahah
    Another fun fact is that Secret Weapon comes after passive effects as well. Bullseye's contract killer will trigger BEFORE secret weapon, which means if you down someone with his ability you'll get the huge attack damage boost and your secret weapon will trigger on the next person.

Likewise (for better or worse) any board shake effects will also take place before secret weapon triggers. This could lead to either huge damage cascades and possible criticals, or your secret weapon being tossed out by accident. For this reason, it's recommended not to be paired with abilities that alter the board.

Any abilities that destroy or remove it will also negate it.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looks like we're getting another Heroic next week, so I suppose I'll level Drax then. He's the only boosted fourstar that's strong in Black, so he fills a purpose.
    I'm thinking Drax, Quake and either Captain Falcon or Star-lord.