**** Drax (The Destroyer) ****

Options

Comments

• spectator
    spectator Posts: 395 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    The reason to use sl with drax is not to produce countdown tiles but to reduce red and purple cost to 6ap
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    spectator wrote:
    The reason to use sl with drax is not to produce countdown tiles but to reduce red and purple cost to 6ap

Yay! now we can collect slightly less red/purple AP before using those abilities! Provided that we also collect 7 yellow before hand, and keep the countdown tile alive.

This is a bit off-topic, but star-lord's yellow just isn't ever worth it. collecting the 7 ap to cast it will almost always negate the utility of cheaper abilities. Especially considering the opportunity cost of wasting 1/3 of your team on star-lord. Just bring IM40, collect 6 yellow ap, wait two turns, and win!

Sure, there are a few edge cases where it's fun to turn 5ap powers into 1-match powers, and devil dino's purple is a blast. But those are just fun science experiments. There is basically always better option if you really want to win a given match.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 692 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The Destroyer requires CDs to be destroyed to get good damage. For comparison, Kingpin's black used twice does 10536 and destroys two CDs. This power used with two CDs does 11299. With 3 it does 13463. Not a big improvement over Kingpin's.
    Good pairings: Ant-Man, Loki.
    4* Deadpool makes great CDs for it, but has two colors of overlap. (Note that you don't get any damage from DP because the CDs are only "removed" and the tiles are not destroyed.)
    Kingpin doesn't need Drax's black.
    Scarlet Witch and Falcon can only make one CD at a time each.
    Sentry and Squirrel Girl and too low tier to bother with.

Secret Weapon ends the turn with a randomly placed CD, giving it a chance of being destroyed. If it survives, the damage is good -- 947/AP. The AI might have trouble using this.

Slice & Dice looks good. Easy 1000/AP and not too expensive.

Star-Lord and Drax seems like a poor combo. They share two colors and S-L doesn't reduce the cost of Drax's black.

Covers suggestion: 3/5/5 and never use black.
    Drax has good damage but his powers don't seem to synergize with each other. The AI might have problems with his tricky skills. I'm not including him in my rankings until I find out what firing purple into black does.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    I don't see any way that during purple and then black will trigger the purple ability. It says "ally," not "friendly" right? Isn't that the same language used for khan's and prof. X's yellows?
  • zodiac339
    zodiac339 Posts: 1,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    I don't see any way that during purple and then black will trigger the purple ability. It says "ally," not "friendly" right? Isn't that the same language used for khan's and prof. X's yellows?
    Spider Gwen's yellow is worded like that too. Can't tell you how annoyed I am the her heal doesn't affect herself, unlike all previous team healers.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:

Even if the one would trigger the other, they both "remove" the tile, and Secret Weapon will wait until The Destroyer has fully resolved before triggering, at which point the CD would be gone. Unless you got lucky and had two other CDs that were used for The Destroyer, leaving your Secret Weapon tile intact to get triggered later.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SpecOps wrote:
    In the "Piecing Together Marvel Puzzle Quest: Drax", article on Marvel.com. They mentioned that 3 potential partners for Drax could be Starlord, Kingpin, Cyclops & XFDP. Basically saying that Starlord, would likely be his best option for a partner.
    It's amazing and frustrating to me that two+ years into the game's life, the developers still understand their own game so poorly, they continue to toss out awful suggestions like these.
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2016
    Options
    You don't think that was a nod to the "combo with star-lord" comments that find their way into every new character, with a side of irony since Star-lord and Drax are part of the same 'team'?

I'm more concerned about the part where apparently Star-Lord "steals" countdown tiles. I guess technically he replaces any tile (including countdown tiles) with his own CD, but that's hardly stealing. I always imagined it more like reverse pick-pocketing, where he plants a bomb in your pocket and walks away.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    SpecOps wrote:
    In the "Piecing Together Marvel Puzzle Quest: Drax", article on Marvel.com. They mentioned that 3 potential partners for Drax could be Starlord, Kingpin, Cyclops & XFDP. Basically saying that Starlord, would likely be his best option for a partner.
    It's amazing and frustrating to me that two+ years into the game's life, the developers still understand their own game so poorly, they continue to toss out awful suggestions like these.

That's only true if you actually think they believe this advice. I think it's far more likely that someone was tasked with hyping the latest new character and and whipped up a quick script for this "interview" that just listed some other 4*s that produce countdown tiles.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    SpecOps wrote:
    agreed. the best sources of multiple disposable cds is sentry, loki, xpool, and maybe antman towards the end (am i missing one? squirrel maybe), but xpool shares all 3 colors with drax. cyke's cd is many time disposable toward the end but its just 1. kp black is superior to drax and starlord's yellow might be disposable at the end, but his red and purple deal more damage per cd than drax's removal. sounds like very difficult ability to get the most out of.
  • Vhailorx
    edited April 2016
    Options
    TxMoose wrote:
    agreed. the best sources of multiple disposable cds is sentry, loki, xpool, and maybe antman towards the end (am i missing one? squirrel maybe), but xpool shares all 3 colors with drax. cyke's cd is many time disposable toward the end but its just 1. kp black is superior to drax and starlord's yellow might be disposable at the end, but his red and purple deal more damage per cd than drax's removal. sounds like very difficult ability to get the most out of.

nah, he's easy to leverage. Just stick him with a lieutenant and a kishu. Tons of AP to cast all his abilities, and plenty of cooldowns to fuel his black.

What was that? players can't use goons? So this is only useful for designing annoying pve nodes? Oops! silly demiurge. . .
  • simonsez
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    SpecOps wrote:

That's only true if you actually think they believe this advice. I think it's far more likely that someone was tasked with hyping the latest new character and and whipped up a quick script for this "interview" that just listed some other 4*s that produce countdown tiles.
    But anyone tasked with whipping up a quick script, who actually knew the game, wouldn't have had a problem giving better suggestions.
  • Vhailorx
    edited April 2016
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    simonsez wrote:
    SpecOps wrote:

But anyone tasked with whipping up a quick script, who actually knew the game, wouldn't have had a problem giving better suggestions.

Really? as discussed at length in this thread, there really AREN'T many better suggestsions. There just aren't many player characters that produce 3+ disposable countdowns for a reasonable cost. So if you were given an hour to whip something up you might just throw some names out there and be done with it. . .

I'm sure there are some people at demiurge who understand the game's mechanics. Probably not as well as the elite vets here in the forums and on Line, but well enough. I just wouldn't be so certain that those people are also the people tasked with writing those character hype pieces.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah, when you crate a character who doesn't play well with anyone, the response to a "who does he play well with?" softball will necessarily be flawed.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    nah, he's easy to leverage. Just stick him with a lieutenant and a kishu. Tons of AP to cast all his abilities, and plenty of cooldowns to fuel his black.

What was that? players can't use goons? So this is only useful for designing annoying pve nodes? Oops! silly demiurge. . .
    coming soon to a simulator or gauntlet node near you. that'd be annoying but not as much as kp or carnage with goons.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    spectator wrote:

Yay! now we can collect slightly less red/purple AP before using those abilities! Provided that we also collect 7 yellow before hand, and keep the countdown tile alive.

This is a bit off-topic, but star-lord's yellow just isn't ever worth it. collecting the 7 ap to cast it will almost always negate the utility of cheaper abilities. Especially considering the opportunity cost of wasting 1/3 of your team on star-lord. Just bring IM40, collect 6 yellow ap, wait two turns, and win!

Sure, there are a few edge cases where it's fun to turn 5ap powers into 1-match powers, and devil dino's purple is a blast. But those are just fun science experiments. There is basically always better option if you really want to win a given match.
    I am not looking to level Star Lord any more than he is, but you should really try his yellow with Gamora and IF. Making purple and red only cost 3AP is nasty and great for PVE. Also Gamora and IF are usually buffed together so it is a nice bonus.

Different topic I think Drax pairs best with Ant Man. You throw out Ants Ants Ants let them go down to 1 and then fire Drax black. You get the be benefit of the Ant bites and are sacrificing a couple of strike tiles for Drax damage. You use Drax red and AM pink. AM blue can also be used as a throw away CD for Drax since Grow nearly never fires.
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:

You beat me to it, I was gonna suggest that stick drax with two maggia goons that feed him black and produce cd tiles and hey presto... Drax will make you cry. I fully expect to see drax pop up in this manner
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    You could pair him with goblin. When your glider tile gets matched away(which it probably will) you can then switch to drax black instead and use goblins bombs as your fodder
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    You could pair him with goblin. When your glider tile gets matched away(which it probably will) you can then switch to drax black instead and use goblins bombs as your fodder

goblin bombs do what, 11k per at max?

how low level does your goblin have to be before you are better off using 12 black ap + 3 bombs to generate an extra 6k damage?
  • simonsez
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Really? as discussed at length in this thread, there really AREN'T many better suggestsions. There just aren't many player characters that produce 3+ disposable countdowns for a reasonable cost.
    You're operating under the assumption that you want to be feeding his black. You don't. It's overpriced, and given what countdowns might be available to you, you're not getting a whole lot incremental value when you destroy them. Purple and Red do decent damage/AP. Just ignore black, go 3/5/5, and pair him with anyone who doesn't also have a good purple or red, unlike EVERY character they suggested you should pair him with.