**** Drax (The Destroyer) ****

Options

Comments

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    simonsez wrote:
    Vhailorx wrote:
    Really? as discussed at length in this thread, there really AREN'T many better suggestsions. There just aren't many player characters that produce 3+ disposable countdowns for a reasonable cost.
    You're operating under the assumption that you want to be feeding his black. You don't. It's overpriced, and given what countdowns might be available to you, you're not getting a whole lot incremental value when you destroy them. Purple and Red do decent damage/AP. Just ignore black, go 3/5/5, and pair him with anyone who doesn't also have a good purple or red, unlike EVERY character they suggested you should pair him with.

your're right. They should definitely hype their newest character by saying "He's a black/purple/red character but his black is incredibly hard to use well, so you should really just ignore it. Go 3/5/5 and pair him with anyone who doesn't have a better purple or red!"
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Alternately, "his black is designed for when you have countdowns on the board but they're either about to get matched away or you need the extra damage right now and not in a turn or two. It's a desperation move, not a bread-and-butter one that we expect players to build a team around -- his standby attacks are purple and red."
  • OneLastGambit
    OneLastGambit Posts: 1,963 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    You could pair him with goblin. When your glider tile gets matched away(which it probably will) you can then switch to drax black instead and use goblins bombs as your fodder

goblin bombs do what, 11k per at max?

how low level does your goblin have to be before you are better off using 12 black ap + 3 bombs to generate an extra 6k damage?

Not really about The level you can save It for when you're tile will get matched by ai on next turn and sacrifice It instead. Though I take your point, I was just trying to think Of other alternatives
  • Vhailorx
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    You could pair him with goblin. When your glider tile gets matched away(which it probably will) you can then switch to drax black instead and use goblins bombs as your fodder

goblin bombs do what, 11k per at max?

how low level does your goblin have to be before you are better off using 12 black ap + 3 bombs to generate an extra 6k damage?

Not really about The level you can save It for when you're tile will get matched by ai on next turn and sacrifice It instead. Though I take your point, I was just trying to think Of other alternatives

That strategy would be great for a cheap black like Kingpin's. But Drax's black costs 12. For that amount, it should change the course of the match. Not be saved up just in case you have bad luck and can't protect a CD tile long enough for it to resolve.

The problem is that the devs ported a mechanic that works well for players in one situation (abilities that trigger off special tiles like strike or attack tiles) and ported it over to CDs without realizing that players don't generate CDs nearly as easily or as often as other types of special tiles. It's a fundamentally self-limiting design choice.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Vhailorx wrote:
    your're right. They should definitely hype their newest character by saying "He's a black/purple/red character but his black is incredibly hard to use well, so you should really just ignore it.
    I'm not telling them how to hype their character. And it's not my fault that they keep designing abilities you wouldn't want to use. But there's no excuse in your little mini-rant that justifies them giving **** suggestions. They can give us decent ones, and phrase it however the **** they want.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    After thinking about it Drax might be better off as 3,5,5 instead of 5 in black. As a red purple user he will have a cheaper purple to fire right before an ally fires a power. His red is nasty if your enemy is at full health and since so many cd tile creators cost so much he won't be so slow. He can mesh with punisher, quake,and venom very easily.
    If you really feel black is that good I would also just look to use him for the damage output he does and not worry about the cd tiles. Max damage is awsome and will do over 10K damage but it will be really slow and depending on the cd out it will cost you an ability that might do more damage.
    I won't know for 6-12 months when I can start leveling him but I think in the current game he fits better as 3,5,5 rather than 5 in black. Look ad XFDP with XF surgical strike can do more overall damage for 1 less AP and if it kills the opponent it transfers damage to the next opponent. KP does similar damage for the same AP if he is destroying a CD and he only destroys 2.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Drax 3/5/5 with a Symbiote snare TU.
    Think about it. 1 turn full-team stun into purple.
    Then havok starts.
  • Blahahah
    Options
    OJSP wrote:
    Blahahah wrote:
    Drax 3/5/5 with a Symbiote snare TU.
    Think about it. 1 turn full-team stun into purple.
    Then havok starts.
    Are you suggesting to use the TU before Drax's purpleflag.png so you wouldn't lose a turn? Seems like an expensive way to activate the power (7 tutile.png + 8 purpletile.png APs + whatever next power for 7578 damage).

For that other power (to activate the CD tile): a Prehistoric Arms TU sounds good for that purpose, I suppose.
    7 team-up really isn't hard to get...

And 7500 damage is probably worth it :O
  • Blahahah
    Options
    Assuming his black is the highest power, he could combo well with classic clops. Pumps a lot of acceleration in there.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm sure someone mentioned this before, but Drax may give some life to Sentry in a transitioning 3-4* roster.

Outside of that, I'm a little confused why the devs mentioned in the post announcing him that he'll be good to pair with Star Lord. They share 2/3 of their colors, and I just don't get the impression they would play well together.

Am I missing something? SL doesn't kick out enough Countdown tiles to be used with Drax's black. SL's Yellow doesn't even accelerate Black, so there's that...

I guess you could use SL's Yellow to lead into Drax's Red & Purple, followed by Drax's Black to both activate his Purple and destroy SL's Yellow.

Pretty unlikely scenario if you ask me, and that's only if the order of operations doesn't cause Drax to destroy his own Purple with his black, or even if his own abilities can activate his purple.
  • Blahahah
    Options
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    I'm sure someone mentioned this before, but Drax may give some life to Sentry in a transitioning 3-4* roster.

Outside of that, I'm a little confused why the devs mentioned in the post announcing him that he'll be good to pair with Star Lord. They share 2/3 of their colors, and I just don't get the impression they would play well together.

Am I missing something? SL doesn't kick out enough Countdown tiles to be used with Drax's black. SL's Yellow doesn't even accelerate Black, so there's that...

I guess you could use SL's Yellow to lead into Drax's Red & Purple, followed by Drax's Black to both activate his Purple and destroy SL's Yellow.

Pretty unlikely scenario if you ask me, and that's only if the order of operations doesn't cause Drax to destroy his own Purple with his black, or even if his own abilities can activate his purple.
    pretty sure it was self-satire since they say pair everyone with SL
  • Mitchjewitz
    Mitchjewitz Posts: 84 Match Maker
    Options
    Don't know if anyone has said this but vision possibly? Cheap (pointless because the AI doesn't use it right and do you ever use yellow anyways) CD powers with only red in common which drax will use if you don't have enough red and blue for the aoe. And when drax dies because people usually go for the more powerful char first you have vision's blue power and cascades of death.
  • Blahahah
    Options
    He can only have one CD out at a time though, but he might work for a quick activation of the purple (though a lot of character could also fit that role).
    If you have him, then sure he would probably be great. However I can't really say I'd recommend that over most other options.
  • Jonny1Punch
    Jonny1Punch Posts: 434 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    PLEASE fix this character ASAP.

Drax not having green as a color is very odd ( I think his black power could be green).

For starters, if his purple is going to end the turn and rely on a easily dismissed CD he should produce 3 CD tiles giving it instant synergy with his black power. This would make him have a nice one-two punch and self-sustain better. ( no one wants to pair this guy with starlord , trust me )

His red I like but feel it needs to do about 40% more Dmg at base level and maybe 20% extra at the 90% bonus.

Im definitely not an expert but I know Drax is way too cool to suck this bad! Fix him please he should be way more badass.
  • KingDreadnaught
    KingDreadnaught Posts: 92 Match Maker
    Options
    At this stage, I must step in to this...

DRAX is a highly expected character that many have been waiting for a long while. His "Revenge" quote sounded so tempting and gave us hope for this character to be "badass" or at least very powerful to catch up with many powerful 4* releases lately such as PunMax (the best 4* imo), Quake (extremely useful), and Duckie Duck which is so good in many ways.

Drax DISAPPOINTED ME and many others real hard.

1. As I am Kingdreadnaught that people know I'd max new character asap to test out the abilities. This is one of the biggest time I feel like this is the most worthless investment ever..
    2. Why? Because of his powers , all of them are WEAK.
    blackflag.png - Seems to be high dmg but up to 3 cds only. We all know that Cds gotta mean something, either to wait for it to do something for to work while it's still on. My question is , WHY on Earth Drax's black REMOVE them just for tiny more dmg adding to his average dmg and we lose the cds forever... The worst of worst is THIS DOES NOT WORK WITH DPX. I thought DPX purple CDS written clearly that "Whatever make these tiles goes away, it dmg the opponent!" (I might be wrong about actual text but that is how Drax SHOULD WORK...
    purpleflag.png - EXTREMELY USELESS. 3 turns CD... What can we do within 3 turns? Maybe something if it DOES NOT end the TURN...You are talking about 2 TURNS CD not 3. And it has to be ALLy not himself as well, so why have such a low ap RED if he can't fire purple and red right after? worthless....
    redflag.png - The only legit one I think might be a bit better than Deadpool 3*... How many times we gonna use this with the full health character? I tested this with the buffed one that almost 370 lv and it's... nehh almost like SilverSurf Maxed Champ 17k dmg but with 90% health condition... Okay?

I will understand if these ability are the standard of 4* if D3 haven't release such powerful 4* like Punmax and Quakes earlier. This is another level. I see Drax as a 3* toon that my SW or IF will be my 99% toons of choice more than Drax that I might never touch again.

This might sound impossible but To make it fair for this character.. I may suggest
    1. Make his blackflag.png Do more dmg or not limit the 3 cd tiles , give him ability to be more powerful with many Cds which will make him usable, not even close to overpower...
    2. His purpleflag.png is a real piece of poop.... Make this as "Create 3 turns 3 Countdown tiles" (If you want to link this with his black) and Make this ability Fireable not just ally but himself as well.... or worse case just Cut that "End turn" OUT!!!!
    3. redflag.png Let This be the okay one, I won't ask for change.

What do you think?
  • Jaedenkaal
    Jaedenkaal Posts: 3,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I was also disappointed that we couldn't at least choose where the purple CD goes. Would that have been so much to ask since it then ends the turn?
  • Lady Axe Face
    Lady Axe Face Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I'm disappointed he has no skill named "Nothing goes over my head."
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 623 Critical Contributor
    Options
    As if I needed more reason to be disappointed in Drax's design...

I cascaded into a lot of purple in the loaner node, casting his purple a few times to create multiple CDs, following up with an ally's move to trigger them. As just the base damage plus one CD's bonus damage would be enough to down the first enemy, I was hoping the other CDs' bonus damage would carry over to the remaining enemies (similar to ProfX's blue, when generating multiple crits at once), but alas, it doesn't. icon_mad.gif
  • elwhiteninja
    elwhiteninja Posts: 209 Tile Toppler
    Options
    At this stage, I must step in to this...

DRAX is a highly expected character that many have been waiting for a long while. His "Revenge" quote sounded so tempting and gave us hope for this character to be "badass" or at least very powerful to catch up with many powerful 4* releases lately such as PunMax (the best 4* imo), Quake (extremely useful), and Duckie Duck which is so good in many ways.

Drax DISAPPOINTED ME and many others real hard.

1. As I am Kingdreadnaught that people know I'd max new character asap to test out the abilities. This is one of the biggest time I feel like this is the most worthless investment ever..
    2. Why? Because of his powers , all of them are WEAK.
    blackflag.png - Seems to be high dmg but up to 3 cds only. We all know that Cds gotta mean something, either to wait for it to do something for to work while it's still on. My question is , WHY on Earth Drax's black REMOVE them just for tiny more dmg adding to his average dmg and we lose the cds forever... The worst of worst is THIS DOES NOT WORK WITH DPX. I thought DPX purple CDS written clearly that "Whatever make these tiles goes away, it dmg the opponent!" (I might be wrong about actual text but that is how Drax SHOULD WORK...
    purpleflag.png - EXTREMELY USELESS. 3 turns CD... What can we do within 3 turns? Maybe something if it DOES NOT end the TURN...You are talking about 2 TURNS CD not 3. And it has to be ALLy not himself as well, so why have such a low ap RED if he can't fire purple and red right after? worthless....
    redflag.png - The only legit one I think might be a bit better than Deadpool 3*... How many times we gonna use this with the full health character? I tested this with the buffed one that almost 370 lv and it's... nehh almost like SilverSurf Maxed Champ 17k dmg but with 90% health condition... Okay?

I will understand if these ability are the standard of 4* if D3 haven't release such powerful 4* like Punmax and Quakes earlier. This is another level. I see Drax as a 3* toon that my SW or IF will be my 99% toons of choice more than Drax that I might never touch again.

This might sound impossible but To make it fair for this character.. I may suggest
    1. Make his blackflag.png Do more dmg or not limit the 3 cd tiles , give him ability to be more powerful with many Cds which will make him usable, not even close to overpower...
    2. His purpleflag.png is a real piece of poop.... Make this as "Create 3 turns 3 Countdown tiles" (If you want to link this with his black) and Make this ability Fireable not just ally but himself as well.... or worse case just Cut that "End turn" OUT!!!!
    3. redflag.png Let This be the okay one, I won't ask for change.

What do you think?
    I said basically the same thing about him in the feedback forum. His red is his only good ability with the exception of maybe using falcon and then drax black.

Black is too pricey especially since it A. Does not work with xpool and b. Gets ride of positive friendly tiles.
    Purple ends the turn for moderate damage. If it did not end the turn it would be really good ap ratio but for it to be worth whIle a second ability must be fired and even at max lvl 7000/(8+3.5*+ 2nd ability)=450ish per ap
    *3.5 is the ap lost from not matching for the turn
    Red is great nice low cost good damage with the added bonus damage if over 90%
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    Ninja, you have to account for the positive effect of the second ability when calculating damage per ap for the purple. That makes the ratio a bit better. Still a hard power to love.

Red is drax's best, but the 4* tier is filling up. It's what, the 4th best 4* red? (after imhb, cyclops, xpool, and maybe even worse than nova's too). Hard to get excited.