*** Iron Man (Model 40) ***

Comments

• klingsor wrote:
    I think he needs a positive Funbalance. His blue should either cost less, stun, or do more damage. Definitely shouldn't have an AP penalty. If you can spam blue it would be fun even if it was weak. But if its going to drain, it has to be a match ender, and so probably a 50% boost is needed. If not for blue then for red. I don't like the AP drain combined with high cost. It makes him a poor alternative.

I agree 100%. For a hero that's extremely popular not only in the comics, but in the films, the two Iron Mans are my least used ones in battle. Since the devs have clearly admitted no more new alts are coming right away (although I do hope one day for a Classic Armor version), I think IM40 needs to be added to their list of characters getting an adjustment. Yellow is fine, but Blue and Red need a little tweaking (just a bit) to make him more viable than just a support/tank class.

If the power costs have to remain high, then the AP drain needs to go buh-bye.
  • I agree his offensive powers are meh for their cost, but he is a big bag of hit points. Hulk is similarly unimpressive offensively most of the time, unless you manage to collect 34AP across two colors and set the board up for a good Smash. But what really kills the idea of IM40 self-feeding to me is the self-stun. By the time you've gathered 8 or 10 yellow, prepped the board, used Recharge and waited two turns it's really about time you had someone use all that AP you just created, even in the slower game they're aiming for. Even if his powers didn't suck I'd probably still have someone else use him as a battery.
  • One of the few upsides I've found to the self-stun is if you happen to have Patch on your team. If you keep Patch about 10 levels higher than Im40, Patch will take red, but Im40 will take the yellow matches and soak up some damage out in front. When Im40 gets stunned, Patch should become the high yellow. Could be great for setting Patch up for his red, and then giving him a few extra tiles with his symbol.
  • Katai
    Katai Posts: 278 Mover and Shaker
    5/5/3 build for me.

Iron40 is basically an AP generator and not much else. He gives a bit of consistency to my games, as trading 10 yellow for 9 red/blue/green is pretty damn fantastic. I love him with Patch and OBW right now. When Iron40 gets recharged, I typically have enough to end the game (even if all three opponents are still up). Patch-Green x2, Patch-Red x1, Ballistic Salvo tends to wipe most teams. Even if I don't use Ballistic Salvo, OBW can heal once or twice so I'm full up for the next battle.
  • nihilium
    nihilium Posts: 242
    I'm at 4/3/2 and just got another yellow cover. Should I use it or better keep him at 2 yellow for now for lower costs? icon_e_smile.gif
  • nihilium wrote:
    I'm at 4/3/2 and just got another yellow cover. Should I use it or better keep him at 2 yellow for now for lower costs? icon_e_smile.gif

It really depends on your team and what other characters you plan on pairing with Iron Man. I went 4 in yellow in my case, but having it stay at 2 is good if you don't have rainbow team.
  • nihilium
    Honestly Im currently not playing him at all ^^""

Im just hoping collect all of his covers, than dump iso on him and than err... use him to generate AP? lol
    Its honestly the best Idea I have for him, to throw him into a team with e.g. widow and punisher and generate loads of AP xD

I guess being able to generate green wont be a bad thing, if u think of all the green-strike time attacks?
  • mags1587
    mags1587 Posts: 1,020 Chairperson of the Boards
    If you're going to use him to generate AP, go with 3 yellow. I have him at 5/5/3 and I find the green AP very useful.
  • nihilium wrote:
    Honestly Im currently not playing him at all ^^""

Im just hoping collect all of his covers, than dump iso on him and than err... use him to generate AP? lol
    Its honestly the best Idea I have for him, to throw him into a team with e.g. widow and punisher and generate loads of AP xD

I guess being able to generate green wont be a bad thing, if u think of all the green-strike time attacks?

As someone with a team of exactly that (5/5/3 Widow, 4/5/3 Punisher, and 5/3/3 IM40), it works great. Fueling Punisher's green and red, plus some AP steal, is usually enough to win. Plus the blue means I never have to use health packs.

Only issue I'm having is eventually Widow will only be matching purple, so no AP steal for me. Guess I'll have to find a 3 star to fill the slot.
  • grimeon wrote:
    As someone with a team of exactly that (5/5/3 Widow, 4/5/3 Punisher, and 5/3/3 IM40), it works great. Fueling Punisher's green and red, plus some AP steal, is usually enough to win. Plus the blue means I never have to use health packs.

Only issue I'm having is eventually Widow will only be matching purple, so no AP steal for me. Guess I'll have to find a 3 star to fill the slot.

The Hood, at the right level Punisher and IM can tank all of his colors so his low hp doesn't matter and he and IM have great countdown tile synergy.
  • Can anyone comment on 5/5/3 versus 4/5/4? I'm debating since I don't use Unibeam much and both builds would still require 4 yellow matches to execute.
  • Can anyone comment on 5/5/3 versus 4/5/4? I'm debating since I don't use Unibeam much and both builds would still require 4 yellow matches to execute.

I'd go with 5/5/3. If the +3 boost is back, i'll go 4/5/4.
    Yellow at 10 ap is already hard to go off because the board usually only has 3 matches of a color before it run out of any match of that color, at 12 it is almost impossible to go off without boost. Ironman is only there to tank damage or a late game finisher kind of character. I would keep yellow AP as low as possible.
  • I left him at 5/5/2. There are plenty of other characters who can generate green (Hulk, Thor, BWGS).

Maybe one day when all my other characters are maxed out I'll get him that last yellow cover, but I prefer the reduced cost to fire off recharge and I don't have the iso to max his level out anyway.

Even at level 84, I find to be very useful in conjuction with Patch (recharge fuels his BTIS attack and stuns IM so board flips to mostly patch tiles for full effect)

Also like using him with Spidey in those hard to beat PVE matches. (recharge fuels the stun locks and attacks for the damage dealer)
  • I have a question...

If we compare IM40's skills across characters...

Red (Unibeam VS 2* Wolverine's Adamantium Slash)

Damage: 3,559 @ Level 141 VS 2,884 @ Level 85
    AP Cost: 13 (+2 drain) VS 12

Why is a 3* Red sorely lacking compared to a 2* Red?

Similarly...

Blue (Ballistic Salvo VS 3* BWGS Sniper Rifle)

Damage: 2,669 VS 3,336
    Stun: 2 turns VS 0 turn(s)
    Destroys: 3 tiles VS 6x6 (approximately) tiles
    AP Cost: 20 (+2 drain) VS 19

I get that they are different Heroes, but given the comparisons, what makes IM40 worth using? I ask this because I realise there are a lot of L141 IM40s (well, more than I expected anyway) running around, and people have invested in these Heroes. So... what's the redeeming factor?
  • Doragon wrote:
    So... what's the redeeming factor?

Mostly high HP's (and his ability to be a tank for Red/Blue characters) and he gets buffed/featured a lot in PvP/PvE.

Also, he was easy to get covers for (at one time).
  • Doragon wrote:
    I get that they are different Heroes, but given the comparisons, what makes IM40 worth using? I ask this because I realise there are a lot of L141 IM40s (well, more than I expected anyway) running around, and people have invested in these Heroes. So... what's the redeeming factor?

He's tanky as hell, that's what makes him different. BWGS is incredibly squishy by comparison, so for her to deal that much damage, it's completely fine. Wolverine is similarly squishy unless he focuses on making yellow matches at < 50% (which is a color he can't use, and if he's at 50%, he's in killing range with any mediocre ability).
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Doragon wrote:
    I have a question...

If we compare IM40's skills across characters...

Red (Unibeam VS 2* Wolverine's Adamantium Slash)

Damage: 3,559 @ Level 141 VS 2,884 @ Level 85
    AP Cost: 13 (+2 drain) VS 12

Why is a 3* Red sorely lacking compared to a 2* Red?

Similarly...

Blue (Ballistic Salvo VS 3* BWGS Sniper Rifle)

Damage: 2,669 VS 3,336
    Stun: 2 turns VS 0 turn(s)
    Destroys: 3 tiles VS 6x6 (approximately) tiles
    AP Cost: 20 (+2 drain) VS 19

If you can get yourself a fully leveled Wolverine (Patch) you will see one of the best 1:2 combo's in the game. This work's much better when your 3rd guy/gal is dead, and you have a 5/5/3 IM40 and for max damage a x/5/x Patch The goal is build your yellow AP fast, Activate IM40 yellow, which gets you enough Red AP, to activate Patches Red, which because your support is dead and IM40 is on stun, all tiles have Wolvie's symbol and thus he does a **** ton of damage
  • nihilium
    Phaserhawk wrote:

If you can get yourself a fully leveled Wolverine (Patch) you will see one of the best 1:2 combo's in the game. This work's much better when your 3rd guy/gal is dead, and you have a 5/5/3 IM40 and for max damage a x/5/x Patch The goal is build your yellow AP fast, Activate IM40 yellow, which gets you enough Red AP, to activate Patches Red, which because your support is dead and IM40 is on stun, all tiles have Wolvie's symbol and thus he does a **** ton of damage

Awesome plan xD
    Prolly would work with a very weak 3rd member as well, maybe an unlvled hood that only steals AP, wouldnt it? o.o

... I put my 3rd yellow cover on IM and I have to say OK, the higher AP suck, but the green? AWESOME o.o
    I always have someone who can throw out something great for green AP in the current event (Storm, Wolverine~~) and getting 6green AP too is very much helping me to actually win matches. Especially in those where u just cant match ANY usefull colors for several rounds >.>

xD
  • nihilium wrote:
    ... I put my 3rd yellow cover on IM and I have to say OK, the higher AP suck, but the green? AWESOME o.o
    I always have someone who can throw out something great for green AP in the current event (Storm, Wolverine~~) and getting 6green AP too is very much helping me to actually win matches. Especially in those where u just cant match ANY usefull colors for several rounds.

I think I might end up respecing him to 4 yellow. Ultimately depends on what happens to Classic Magnetos Purple.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just having finally gotten my first blue icon_lol.gif I was looking at IM40 and he needs to be at least 5/3/2 that leaves you with 3 points.

Red 5 why: You get the most benefit while reducing other AP by the least so 5 is mandatory

blue 3 why: You get the most benefit while reducing other AP by less

Yellow 2 why: (obviously you will have at least 3 if you max him out) but yellow at lvl 2 gets you red and blue, both you need.

where to put the other 3 covers? well we know one has to go into yellow even if you max blue so we have a 5/3/3 build and 2 slots left.

level 4 yellow nets you 2 purple but costs 2 more AP skill would be 12. this isn't an issue, assuming a match nets you 3, you would need 4 matches for 12 AP and at lvl 3 it's 10 AP, this also requires 4 matches, although with new boost system you could spend one AP yellow boost and drop this to 3 matches

level 4 blue nets you more damage, great, however, it still costs 20 AP. At best yellow nets you 9 blue, you still need 4 matches unless you have a blue generator (Magneto MN)\

So that means we have 3 possibities at this point however

5/5/3
    5/4/4
    5/3/5

I was orginally leaning towards 5/5/3 but how often will I need the 2 turn stun with a 20 AP skill?

5/3/5 seems suboptimal as you reducing damage in blue, increase cost to yellow and of the champions that would love to have black, Punisher, Loki, Hood, Psylocke, Doom, and Black Panther...Doom Doesn't need IM40 to get him black and the blues would be fighting, Punisher's and Psylocke's black are low enough in cost they don't need IM40 to get it, Loki does benefit but it gets you black for a character whose black is conditional to the board. So the only champ at the moment that could potenitally benefit from a lvl 5 yellow is black panther, but seeing as how Black Panther's yellow is a main skill for him, you'll never get the 14AP to cast IM40's yellow to benefit black panther's black, therefore as of 02/27/2014 do not get more than 4 in IM40's yellow

So that leaves me with 5/4/4 or 5/5/3 as the only two options. So the question to be asked, how important is generating purple compared to not being able to stun current target for 2 turns on a 20AP skill?

well you can help all black widow's, Magneto's, Daredevil, Loki, Moonstone, Venom, Yelena, Hawkeye classic and Bagman

Of those guys. OBW, BWGS, Magneto's, Daredevil, Loki, Moonstone, and Venom are remotely playable, if we are considering only top tier champs then

OBW, BWGS, Magneto Classic, (Daredevil needs work and he fights IM40 for the other colors)

BWGS best fits IM40's play, they only share red, and BWGS' red is not as good as IM40's so they wont' compete there. In this comp I say 5/4/4 IM40 is better, but is giving up stunning current target 2 turns worth increasing yellow cost and allowing a good combo with BWGS?

That I don't know. What's the community's thought on 5/5/3 vs 5/4/4????