**** Ghost Rider (Johnny Blaze) **** Updated (8/22/17)

Comments

• Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    I think they should have stuck closer to the concept of the Spirit of Vengeance and gave him a passive ability that activated with damaged received a la X-Enforcer
    I love this!!! Good job, f4td.
    Maybe something like it can be used on Ghost Rider (Danny Ketch) if they ever add him too down the road -- I personally would love that, as I'm a huge fan of the Ghostriderverse and they could easily be designed as drastically different characters.

Plus, it would give them an excuse to use the famous glow-in-the-dark GR#15 as his in-game cover:
    detail.jpg
  • GrumpySmurf1002
    GrumpySmurf1002 Posts: 3,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    I think people are underselling how ridiculous his black can be offensively.

In most high-level matches (where you're using a 4*), you're looking at 150-200 match damage per turn, without accounting for crits, match-4, etc. So from the word go he's adding 300-400 per turn, with no ceiling and no reduction. It won't take much in the way of damage to get his black into quintuple digits.
    Irrelevant. The character dealing all that damage isn't going to have quintuple health left, unless you specifically target a lesser threat, and let the main threat beat the **** out of you while you collect 12 black. To be useful, this ability needs to work off total team damage, not individual damage.

Hmm, I thought it did work off team damage. I hate these stupid vague wordings.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    simonsez wrote:
    I think people are underselling how ridiculous his black can be offensively.

In most high-level matches (where you're using a 4*), you're looking at 150-200 match damage per turn, without accounting for crits, match-4, etc. So from the word go he's adding 300-400 per turn, with no ceiling and no reduction. It won't take much in the way of damage to get his black into quintuple digits.
    Irrelevant. The character dealing all that damage isn't going to have quintuple health left, unless you specifically target a lesser threat, and let the main threat beat the **** out of you while you collect 12 black. To be useful, this ability needs to work off total team damage, not individual damage.

The way it works is whatever each character does. So if you are fighting IMHB/JG and 3* and JG hits you wither her AoE, you are going to be able to return 10K worth of dmg or more, but only to her, if you were targeting IMHB and she does this, you have to use it on her, IMHB will only take dmg based on him. If he hits you with a Repulsor Punch, you are going to be able to hit him back for that or 150% of that or 200% of that, but only to him, if you hit 3*, you would do little to no dmg.

Ghost Rider is definitely a guy you want to bring in against AoE's, but even at lvl3 it would 1 shot any current AoE dealer
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Same here. Until I saw a clarification from Ice in one of these threads...
  • spccrain
    spccrain Posts: 249
    I dont know if its been asked yet but how does aoe damaged dealt affect Penance Stare? Will it be the total damage dealt to everyone (ex. CoTS approx 8000) or just the damage dealt to one person hit by the aoe (ex Cots again approx 4000)
  • He's instant whale. He's going to be the best 4 against 5s by a mile. One trick pony sure, but what a trick. Any team running one 5 will no longer be that scary, and the 5s are going to be all over SIM this season. He's going to eat OML's lunch.

Anybody transitioning and having trouble with JG and RH should get some black covers. Hard counter. At 3 black covers, JG is almost gone after one mind over matter.
  • simonsez
    Quarg321 wrote:
    At 3 black covers, JG is almost gone after one mind over matter.
    By the time I collect 12 black, she'd pretty much be gone if I'm using HB, and I don't have to wait for her to hit me for 12k damage.
  • That takes all your red too. One OD starting with 0 red won't one shot her. Also, note, did say for people who are transitioning and having trouble with JG, who presumably don't have a very useful HB.
  • simonsez
    Quarg321 wrote:
    That takes all your red too. One OD starting with 0 red won't one shot her. Also, note, did say for people who are transitioning and having trouble with JG, who presumably don't have a very useful HB.
    The last thing I would do is tell someone to whale GR instead of HB.
  • Buy two covers is whaling? He's instant whale for those who play at the top end.
  • simonsez
    Quarg321 wrote:
    Buy two covers is whaling? He's instant whale for those who play at the top end.
    I can't keep track of exactly what you're arguing. You're going back and forth between saying what whales will do, and what transitioners should do. Either way, unless they buff him pre-release, he's awful.

I'd like to hear from actual whales. They probably will whale him, since that's what they do, but I've got to assume it's because they're completionists, not because they think this character is any good.
  • I am an actual whale, lol. A bunch of us in X1 have already said we're whaling him.
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    Quarg321 wrote:
    Buy two covers is whaling? He's instant whale for those who play at the top end.

I'm a 3-4* transitioner, and I'm pretty if I'm at 900+ points and trying to get 1k, trying to buy 2 covers so that I can throw up a 0/0/3 (or whatever undercovered ghost rider I may have) to try to beat a jeanbuster combo is not going to work very well.

a) if hes that undercovered, he may not even survive long enough
    b) even if he survives, letting jean or hb use their powers might mean the rest of my team may be dead/half-dead and unable to finish the fight
    c) everyone else will see I'm tossing up an undercovered ghost rider and laugh as they quickly take me out
  • 900 to 1k should take eight minutes, max. You're not getting hit on an eight minute hop. What sub 200 teams can keep jeanbuster from getting a power off? "Let"?
  • cyineedsn
    cyineedsn Posts: 361 Mover and Shaker
    Quarg321 wrote:
    900 to 1k should take eight minutes, max. You're not getting hit on an eight minute hop. What sub 200 teams can keep jeanbuster from getting a power off? "Let"?

If we're talking just for a one match hop? Used Hood or loki + whichever 3* is boosted to get through jeanbuster lots of times
  • Fair enough. 003 GR hiding to just take out JG is viable, imo, but you are right it would certainly not be optimal.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
    SangFroid wrote:
    Does black count damage as dealt or actually received. i.e opponent fires a power that does 2K Dmg, I have a shield of power 500. Does black count this as 2k (dealt) or 1.5k (received)?
    Post Protect or reduction. So in this case, 1.5K.
  • IceIX
    IceIX wrote:
    Damage is displayed and dynamically updated on the ability before you fire it, so you can always tell what it's going to deal at base.
    Would love to see this on every ability!
    Well, probably not every ability, but we added the tech to allow dynamic ability updates with R88. So yes, we'll be updating abilities as we get the time.
  • IceIX
    Xenoberyll wrote:
    How does Penance Stare work with instant kill abilities like Punishers red? Is "downs that character" = dealing as much damage as that characters health?
    Remaining health, yes.
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    SangFroid wrote:
    Does black count damage as dealt or actually received. i.e opponent fires a power that does 2K Dmg, I have a shield of power 500. Does black count this as 2k (dealt) or 1.5k (received)?
    Post Protect or reduction. So in this case, 1.5K.
    If that character does an AOE Attack like GSBW and her Sniper Rifle... and GR does Penance Stare... does she get the damage done to her equal to the damage she inflicted to all 3 opponents combined?