**** Ghost Rider (Johnny Blaze) **** Updated (8/22/17)

Comments

• CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    He said back on page 2 that all AOE damage counts. So 3K damage to the whole team = 9K for purposes of Penance Stare.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    I'm going to go out on a limb and hope I'm proven wrong: Making Ghost Rider take damage to make damage means he's a health pack eater, and thus won't see massive usage (except on Scarecrowing and for whales with heaps of health packs).

I'd rather him have a reverse Righteous Uppercut; that he deals more, CONSISTENT damage, if his teammates are downed.
  • BlackSheep101
    BlackSheep101 Posts: 2,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Damage is displayed and dynamically updated on the ability before you fire it, so you can always tell what it's going to deal at base.
    Would love to see this on every ability!
    Well, probably not every ability, but we added the tech to allow dynamic ability updates with R88. So yes, we'll be updating abilities as we get the time.
    Wel, yes, not every ability needs it. Thanks for putting a light at the end of the tunnel, though. cMags blue and red would be great candidates for first power to be updated!
  • JVReal
    JVReal Posts: 1,884 Chairperson of the Boards
    IceIX wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Damage is displayed and dynamically updated on the ability before you fire it, so you can always tell what it's going to deal at base.
    Well, probably not every ability, but we added the tech to allow dynamic ability updates with R88. So yes, we'll be updating abilities as we get the time.
    Wel, yes, not every ability needs it. Thanks for putting a light at the end of the tunnel, though. cMags blue and red would be great candidates for first power to be updated!
    I'd like a % displayed next to their health when you click on them to see their details... so you can tell when they are at 40% for using Punisher's retribution, and when groot is at 25% for his heal. But I am happy that the ability descriptions are becoming dynamic!

I'm kind of excited for GR.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    ronin-san wrote:
    I'm going to go out on a limb and hope I'm proven wrong: Making Ghost Rider take damage to make damage means he's a health pack eater
    He doesn't have to be the one to take the damage to deal the damage. You could let healers take the damage.

But that still doesn't make him good.
  • ArcanaMoon
    ArcanaMoon Posts: 72 Match Maker
    I actually like this guy, looks like a 4* icon_punisher.png medium cost abilitys wich you can spam over and over again, and the damage keep staking with those attack tittles. I really looking foward for this guy icon_e_smile.gif
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Perhaps the saddest thing is that this is basically 4* Punisher, so with its low-to-situationally-ok power level, we can assume that 3* Punisher's own lowish power level won't ever be buffed.

I agree with a previous poster that said he'll be useful for someone just starting 4* transition as it will allow for otherwise impossible comebacks against enemies above one's punching level, pretty much like Punisher was really useful for me when I started my 3* transition. The problem is that back then, Punisher was one of the few 3*s around so it was normal for transitioning players to have him as one of the first well-covered 3*s. However, now that there are 40 3*s and 20+ 4*s, there's no way to ensure that beginner-friendly characters like these will find their ways into the hands of the beginners before other covers. And if you got first of the many better other characters, there's little point in maxing these characters, other than for essential and featured use.
  • Blahahah
    Blahahah Posts: 738 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2015
    Ice!
    I love you icon_redface.gif
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    People, the thread is only 5 pages long, couldn't you bother skimming through it, or at least through Ice's posts, instead of asking the same questions over and over and over and over...?
  • IceIX wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    My first thought was that Surgical Strike needed this update the most. CMags red is a great candidate as well. His blue will usually deal max damage, so it's not as necessary, though it will obviously still be nice to have.
  • Co-sign the Punisher sentiment...and concerns.

I actually like the design, just the numbers feel 'weak'. It's like Antman to me, a lot of annoyance, can stack up to be a problem, but not a real 'threat'. At thoise numbers, I'd be tempted to cut green to 6 AP to help ramp up.
    - Unreall
  • Ruinate
    Ruinate Posts: 528 Critical Contributor
    An early Overdrive with well placed Overdrive tiles will quickly close out a match. So will an early Surgical.

With this freaking guy however, you wait and sit on your 12 black ap. He seems pretty poopie to me.
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    Just looking at the wording, Penance Stare looks like it should count self-inflicted damage as well, yes? So HB Overdrive should count towards the total, same with Sentry's Sacrifice, etc...
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
    Jathro wrote:
    Just looking at the wording, Penance Stare looks like it should count self-inflicted damage as well, yes? So HB Overdrive should count towards the total, same with Sentry's Sacrifice, etc...
    It's only damage dealt to the team that contains Ghost Rider. Self-frying some electronics by an Overdrive isn't exactly a sin.
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    IceIX wrote:
    Jathro wrote:
    It's only damage dealt to the team that contains Ghost Rider. Self-frying some electronics by an Overdrive isn't exactly a sin.

The robot devil argues frying some electronics is a terrible sin. Punching some meatbags in the face on the other hand is perfectly acceptable behavior.
  • Is there a list of essentials for hearts of darkness or just the weekly boosted so far !??
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is there a list of essentials for hearts of darkness or just the weekly boosted so far !??
    IceIX revealed it in another thread. It's X-force Wolverine, Daredevil and Original Black Widow.
  • D4Ni13
    D4Ni13 Posts: 745 Critical Contributor
    edited November 2015
    Lets take a simple ability display example: Ghost Rider + Black Panther

#0 Trigger Hellfire, and wait 1 turn (8 red).

#1. Black Panther's Battleplan (9 yellow):
    3 strike tiles (at least +525 dmg on every match or ability)

#2. Ghost Rider's Burning Rubber (7 green):
    1423 + 525 = 1948 damage to all enemies / puts one 151 attack tile on the board / no bonus right now
    Tile match damage rises to base+525+151 = base+676

#3 tile match: base+676
    TOTAL DMG on first active turn =>
    damage to all enemies: 1948
    damage to specific target: base+676
    strike tiles on the board: 4

#4 Ghost Rider's Hellfire Triggers:
    1810 + 525 + 151 = 2486 damage / yet another strike tile (235) / 362 + 676 = 1038 bonus damage for villans
    Tile damage rises to base+676+235 = base+911

#5 Ghost Rider's Burning Rubber (7 green):
    1423+911 = 2334 damage to all enemies / puts one 151 attack tile on the board / no bonus right now

***If we'd had 6 attack tiles, the bonus would have been at least 435+911 extra damage to all enemies. So if you have an extra stike tile generator (like Daken) in your team before this point, you could easily earn the bonus.

Tile damage rises to base+911+151 = base+1062

#6 tile match: base+1062
    TOTAL DMG on second active turn =>
    damage to all enemies: 2334 (+1346 if bonus stike tiles) to all enemies
    damage to specific target(s): 2486 (+1038 if bonus villains) + (base+1062)
    strike tiles on the board: 6 (or 7 if bonus for strike tiles was triggered)

Conclusion: in 2 active turns, you can potentially deal 5628 damage to all enemies and (3524 + (base+911) + (base+1062)) damage to specific target(s), and have over 6 strike tile on the board, for 8 red, 9 yellow and 14 green (which is a decent amount of color in any above-average game).

For the gauntlet I played with Hulk, Human Torch & Black Panther and I fired at least 20 red, 12 black, 18 yellow and 20 green in a serious match. So the above color count is very decent.

So is Ghost Rider weak? Answer: NO.
    Yes, you need to play smart, and you'll probably be conditioned sometimes, but he's not week at all. He's pretty good and fun.
    Imagine if you keep Hellfire on the board for more than 2 turn. The damage dealt will always go higher because of the strike tiles. And also the general tile match damage.

LATER EDIT: What I showed is an example of what 2 active turns can be like after you gather your necessary AP
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    D4Ni13 wrote:
    Lets take a simple ability display example: Ghost Rider + Black Panther

#0 Trigger Hellfire, and wait 1 turn (8 red).

#1. Black Panther's Battleplan (9 yellow):
    3 strike tiles (at least +525 dmg on every match or ability)

#2. Ghost Rider's Burning Rubber (7 green):
    1423 + 525 = 1948 damage to all enemies / puts one 151 attack tile on the board / no bonus right now
    Tile match damage rises to base+525+151 = base+676

#3 tile match: base+676
    TOTAL DMG on first active turn =>
    damage to all enemies: 1948
    damage to specific target: base+676
    strike tiles on the board: 4

Where the hell are you getting all that AP from?
  • Handoftheking26
    Handoftheking26 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    I know every new char takes some getting used to...but I believe this to be a pretty original set of abilities and a classic marvel char that most of us really wanted in the game....I do not think i will have time during the holidays to put in the work required to get him, which I am super bummed about, but I am anxious to add him to my roster....his black is the one i think everyone will be going crazy for, as it may be the only ability that can equal the playing field with 5*s...when he is "powered up" and fully covered he will be an automatic skip in PVP for most of us (like IMHB)... icon_e_biggrin.gif