*** Iron Man (Model 40) ***

Comments

• The Ladder wrote:
    Same here. Level 72 and building icon_e_smile.gif

Anticipating that a Level 141 IM 40 is going to do some serious damage, judging by the counts I'm seeing even at Level 72. Just the aforementioned problem of amassing the AP to unload it!

Ya, I think this is why Model 40 and Thor are basically going to be best buddies for a while.
  • I think Thor might just be one of those characters who's REALLY better at 5/5/1 or 5/5/2.

I certainly don't see myself levelling his blue skill beyond two and I doubt the extra few max levels the third point gives will be that crucial.
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    Sooty wrote:
    I think Thor might just be one of those characters who's REALLY better at 5/5/1 or 5/5/2.

I certainly don't see myself levelling his blue skill beyond two and I doubt the extra few max levels the third point gives will be that crucial.

Do you mean Iron Man? And do you mean the yellow skill?

I'm also on the fence about going to 5/5/3. I'm currently at 5/5/2 and I like it the way it is. If anybody gets to max level with 5/5/3, I'll have yo do some stat comparisons, but I suspect it's something like 800 more health and similar increases to red/blue damage.
  • 5/5/1 definitely feels like an optimal Model 40 build to me. At level 1, his Recharge skill is a low-cost battery for Red AP, which is perfect if I start a board with few red tiles. I have no desire to increase the cost of this skill beyond 6 AP.

I doubt I'll ever use his red or blue skills, but leveling him up is very worthwhile because his damage output and HP get insane.
  • I'm having fun with a combo of Thor / mk40 / Spidey.

Thanks to winning my bracket this week, I've got mk40's Recharge at 2, which means it generates 3x (3 blue + 3 red). The plan is to match a couple blue and yellow, then go into combo mode.

Stun the team with Spidey to protect the Recharge tiles, and generate nine red and blue. That's 1.5 charges of Thor's red skill, which does decent damage and adds yellow tiles to the board. Yellow tiles match (frequently on their own) for more recharges. Recharges generate more blue to keep everyone stunned, and red, to make more yellow tiles.

Whomp, whomp, whomp, gg.

It doesn't automatically go infinite; the board needs to cooperate a little bit, especially at the beginning. Still, I think this team has a lot of promise, and I'll be playing around with it in the weekend tourney.
  • bringing his yellow skill to 3 is good for thor/storm teams as it feeds red, green, and blue.
  • cepage wrote:
    5/5/1 definitely feels like an optimal Model 40 build to me. At level 1, his Recharge skill is a low-cost battery for Red AP, which is perfect if I start a board with few red tiles. I have no desire to increase the cost of this skill beyond 6 AP.

I doubt I'll ever use his red or blue skills, but leveling him up is very worthwhile because his damage output and HP get insane.

I felt that 9 Red AP early isn't enough for me to end a match by itself, so it's better to just a little more for just an extra 9 Blue AP.

Moreover, you tend to want to get rid of yellow tiles on the board before using it, which usually means you'll end up with more than 6 yellow by the time you want to cast it, especially more so if you boost.

That said, given how good Iron Man 40 is for this purpose, I can imagine getting extra cover slots just to make use of multiple low-level thors with level 1/2 blue abilities (since you won't be using them to level the same iron man).
  • Occasionally, when I play against someone in the Iron Man Model 40 tournament, I will make a move with someone and all of the sudden, the game will make an odd sound and 10 or so tiles will disappear, leaving my team (55 Ragnarok/40 C. Storm/35 IM40) with around 200 health (it killed my classic storm all 3 times that it's happened). The board flashes like a special power was used on the other team, but it wasn't the opponent's turn. All 3 times, it has caused me to lose a match I would ordinarily have won. Anyone else have this issue?
  • My guess would be an environmental power. Buffed IM40 gathers 8 Env AP per tile and if he manages to match Env tiles with it crit, it can easily result with 200+ Env AP. And those higher Env skills are really nasty.
    The skill you described is most likely 'System Failure' - destroys 21 random tiles and deals 150 dmg to each enemy.
  • i've been enjoying the new Iron Man model 40, the red and yellow abilities certainly have their use. The blue ability needs a tweak though.

At 20AP i'll never be using that and its not something you can count on in battle. even if i had yellow recharge maxed, its far too slow. Recently you changed Hawkeye (Modern) Blast Arrow down to Red 10 AP, this made that ability useful. I would propose the same treatment to Iron Man (Model 40) Ballistic Salvo - it's currently Blue 20 AP. I would think something like 11AP or 13 AP would be a good balance and make all 3 of his skills useful. reduce the dmg if you need to, he already has his red power as a big bang, his blue is more of a utility AoE in my mind but that needs to be cost effective to be useful
  • Blue ability doesn't need to be changed. It is BIG damage(at higher levels) to WHOLE team + stun for current target. And IM has his recharge skill, which already at lvl 2 gives you 9 blue AP. Sou we could say that it's effective cost is already 11. So with IM 40 you have to collect exactly the same amount of blue AP as with Classic Storm's attack. It may take a little longer with yellow AP but to me IM 40's blue skill is balanced. Changing cost of IM's skill would be like changing cost of Classic Storm's blue skill from 11 to like 7 or 8.
  • Shuino
    Shuino Posts: 164 Tile Toppler
    Reremnu wrote:
    Blue ability doesn't need to be changed. It is BIG damage(at higher levels) to WHOLE team + stun for current target. And IM has his recharge skill, which already at lvl 2 gives you 9 blue AP. Sou we could say that it's effective cost is already 11. So with IM 40 you have to collect exactly the same amount of blue AP as with Classic Storm's attack. It may take a little longer with yellow AP but to me IM 40's blue skill is balanced. Changing cost of IM's skill would be like changing cost of Classic Storm's blue skill from 11 to like 7 or 8.

I agree with you completely, the move is just devastating and the cost is defiantly justified.
  • Sure they could reduce the cost to that, but they would have to reduce the damage by a ton or remove the stun. Grey Suit's green skill costs 19 green AP and does huge damage to all, but doesn't stun.. so I think that the cost is pretty justified
  • That's what recharge is for. The skill is practically a game-ender. Personally, I wouldn't mind longer games. Not ones that end in 5 matches.
  • I'm really going back and forth about this guy.

He seems like he may be my future icon_e_confused.gif since he's the only decently tanky 3* character with 3 abilities in the game right now. Ragnarok is tanky but he only has the 2 skills and caps at 114 while my other characters, both of whom are squishy, will eventually cap at 141. I was planning to switch over to Rag once the Thor tourney ended, but I dunno now.

I have all 3 colors of Model 40 and leveled mine to 30. I've since gotten him to 3/1/1 so I could level him to at least 43 if I wanted.

I get that he's supposed to be heavy artillery, slow to rev up but a potential game-ender if you can get him charged.

And yes, after being forced to play him, I have a new appreciation for his level 1 yellow, just like everyone else. Generating 9 red AP while the enemy team is stunlocked so I can Unibeam (red skill) 2 turns later is a great way to take down high health enemy characters safely.

However, I hate, hate, HATE that upgrading his yellow makes it cost more AP. icon_mad.gif Leveling his yellow to 3 brings the cost to 10 yellow AP (!!). Costing 10 really seems to defeat the purpose. I mean, 8 at level 3 I could maybe see, but 10?? That's very, very hard to justify using...

I agree that 5/5/1 may be the best way to build him but IMO it's really dumb to have to intentionally **** a character under his natural level cap to get the best use out of him. See also: Venom.

Now that the tourney is over, has anyone else warmed up to this guy? Aside from the obvious usefulness of his level 1 yellow, I mean.
  • all right ill guess ill reserve full judgement until i play with it a bit longer. i only have yellow recharge at lvl 1 right now. just have this natural aversion to 20 cost abilities as game always ends for me well before that. thanks for the comments icon_e_wink.gif
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Try playing him with AP generators like The Hood and his twin pistols (he can also shorten Model 40's yellow countdown tiles). 2* Magneto has a purple skill that (at lv 5) allows you to place 6 blue tiles on the board; when used right this can net you well over 10 blue AP when matched with blue tiles already on the board.
  • Black Widow Grey Suit's Sniper Rifle fully upgraded is 19 green. It's almost as powerful as Ballistic Salvo. Ragnarok helps makes her ability more accessible.
  • I have ironman model 40 with the blue power, I was wondering if it was limited edition or if I would be able to get another with the red power or something so I can level him up?
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
    He's currently limited as in he's not regularly available in normal old Standard or Heroic Comic Packs. He's not limited as in that's the only one you'll ever be able to get. We trickle the new characters into event rewards and other packs as time goes on.