[SPOILER] Upcoming characters & contents /2505/

Options

Comments

• Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    bcas76 wrote:
    So now I have to pay attention to my Moonstone and Bullseye pulls? This game demands so much...

I know, right? LOL. I have covered and sold 2 star.png Bullseye several times. Maybe now I'll finally build and keep one.

And finish leveling Moonstone. Sooooooome day.....

That day comes ~6 months after they have stopped releasing new characters, but the servers are (somehow) still on and hosting events - so I have earned the ISO to finish everyone higher than them on the character ranking sheet? (and I banked another million ISO in the hopes they start releasing new characters - some of which almost have to be better than them too?)

I guess.. if they could make a required node.. and the prize was good enough.. nope - gonna stop myself. probably never gonna happen.

Admit it Aesth; even if you hit an MPQ ISO lottery, you'd just swim in the ISO, Scrooge McDuck style, instead of giving any to those 2.

LOL, hey Faust. I wish you were right. I never saw an ISO I couldn't burn. There are toons I disparage, but once I adopt em, I invest. I only have 2 maxed 3 star.png s cause I just love the cheap levels sooooooo much. 39 guys over 100, only 2 maxed LOL

120 is where it gets expensive, it is like 500iso a level until then.. so you can add some more levels to those 100's!
  • aesthetocyst
    aesthetocyst Posts: 538 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    120 is where it gets expensive, it is like 500iso a level until then.. so you can add some more levels to those 100's!

Don't I know it! 31 of the 39 are 120+. The cost ratchets back up to where it always was by lvl 128. Before the recent discount, 128 was the level at which you had finally paid half the ISO cost of maxing the character. 22 guys are over 128 or higher. The handful that are 100 - 120 are either short on covers, or low priority (IM40, Capt. Marvel).

Even before the recent discount, I blew all my ISO at the low end of the roster icon_lol.gif

Anyway, back to new characters.
  • bcas76
    bcas76 Posts: 81 Match Maker
    Options
    Right! So, I recently saw a couple of screenshots for four new character releases: two already confirmed here with the same wording for the abilities as found here, a long-rumored character, and one that's out of left field. The images just had the character names, star-level, and abilities with a speculated associated colors (or so the text in the upper right reads). The images of the two not confirmed here could easily have been doctored by anyone with Photoshop and at least 12 years of being alive. They could also have been old, as one looks vaguely like a preliminary design whose skills were later assigned to other releases, while the other could have been released by now but is also potentially game-breaking (or worthless, you don't know until values are assigned, I get that now).

So have there been characters in the games code that were not later released? Has there been evidence of characters being developed but later changed with reworked abilities to fit the new character? Or simply put, how much faith should I put into non-turul rumors and speculation?
  • Unknown
    Options
    It's hard to say. There are several characters who appear to have been developed but not deployed (Dark Elves), and there's speculation that Marvel nixed certain characters and they got developed into someone else (assumptions that Quicksilver was Mr. Fantastic or Colossus was Thing, for example), plus characters (like Iron Patriot and 2* Cyclops) that have been all but confirmed.

There's also been some very official-looking art (some of which showed up in the who's next picture) that implies there might have been variants for a few characters like Dr. Doom and Wolverine that either got cancelled, adapted, or shelved. And there are traces of stuff that have turned up in code dumps (like a third ability for Juggernaut) that no one really knows why they were put in.
  • Malcrof
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    It's hard to say. There are several characters who appear to have been developed but not deployed (Dark Elves), and there's speculation that Marvel nixed certain characters and they got developed into someone else (assumptions that Quicksilver was Mr. Fantastic or Colossus was Thing, for example), plus characters (like Iron Patriot and 2* Cyclops) that have been all but confirmed.

There's also been some very official-looking art (some of which showed up in the who's next picture) that implies there might have been variants for a few characters like Dr. Doom and Wolverine that either got cancelled, adapted, or shelved. And there are traces of stuff that have turned up in code dumps (like a third ability for Juggernaut) that no one really knows why they were put in.

Not to mention icon_ironpatriot.png
  • aesthetocyst
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:

Make one wonder how much time is spent on characters that never quite make it ... and how serious some of the signs of potential wonder are. That Iron Patriot tease from last year was so cruel. Was that ever explained? Like he was going to be released then yanked, or never really developed at all, just a July 4th "celebration"?
  • Unknown
    Options
    My guess on Iron Patriot is that there's going to be some sort of Dark Reign wrap-up at some point (possibly more than one PVE) and that's when he'll be introduced. But new story PVEs have been pretty low priority lately (was the last one Enemy of the State?) so who knows when that will be.
  • Malcrof
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    My guess on Iron Patriot is that there's going to be some sort of Dark Reign wrap-up at some point (possibly more than one PVE) and that's when he'll be introduced. But new story PVEs have been pretty low priority lately (was the last one Enemy of the State?) so who knows when that will be.

With a new Secret Wars happening now, this is the perfect time to wrap up Dark Reign.
  • DaveR4470
    DaveR4470 Posts: 931 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Iron Patriot was never, to my knowledge, explained fully. (I do believe, though, that it was officially acknowledged that IP had been meant to be a released character and was pulled... am I right?) Which means I suspect that the real reason was (a) Marvel-related and can't be disclosed, or (b) balance-related and would just annoy people.

If you want my totally, utterly unfounded and speculative speculation.....
    Maybe it was Marvel's decision to reboot the comics universe that triggered it? I think that added "promote the keystone franchises of the 'new' universe" to "promote characters familiar from the movies" to MPQ's plate, and maybe that crowded out the original plan to faithfully recreate the Dark Avengers storyline.

Or they just decided that IP was basically the same as Iron Man, and there's no need for a clone.
  • Unknown
    edited May 2015
    Options
    DaveR4470 wrote:
    Iron Patriot was never, to my knowledge, explained fully. (I do believe, though, that it was officially acknowledged that IP had been meant to be a released character and was pulled... am I right?) Which means I suspect that the real reason was (a) Marvel-related and can't be disclosed, or (b) balance-related and would just annoy people.

If you want my totally, utterly unfounded and speculative speculation.....
    Maybe it was Marvel's decision to reboot the comics universe that triggered it? I think that added "promote the keystone franchises of the 'new' universe" to "promote characters familiar from the movies" to MPQ's plate, and maybe that crowded out the original plan to faithfully recreate the Dark Avengers storyline.

Or they just decided that IP was basically the same as Iron Man, and there's no need for a clone.

I thought IceIX or one of the others said the only issue they got from Marvel about him was to make sure it was obvious he was Norman Osbourne. I don't remember where I saw that though.

EDIT: Found the post:
    viewtopic.php?f=7&t=24426&p=305409
  • aesthetocyst
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:

With a new Secret Wars happening now, this is the perfect time to wrap up Dark Reign.

That wrap-up is loooooong overdue IMO!
  • Malcrof
    Options
    Malcrof wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:

That wrap-up is loooooong overdue IMO!

"Battleworld" would open up SOOOOOO many new PVE opportunities!!!

Edit: http://www.newsarama.com/22828-marvel-r ... world.html
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    The last one was Ultron *kappa*
  • Unknown
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:

There wasn't a story there, though - just a new mechanic. It was well-designed (slightly less well-executed) and interesting, but I wouldn't call it a story PVE.
  • Unknown
    Options
    Ben Grimm wrote:
    raisinbman wrote:
    Ben Grimm wrote:

There wasn't a story there, though - just a new mechanic. It was well-designed (slightly less well-executed) and interesting, but I wouldn't call it a story PVE.
    you missed the kappa
  • Unknown
    Options
    raisinbman wrote:
    you missed the kappa

Sorry, I'm elderly and had to look that up.
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Invisible woman, Spidey4, and venom. Web tiles, protect/invisible tiles, and spider crits. Every spidey ability generates webs, which makes an unkillable venom hungry.
  • Unknown
    Options
    So. Ghost Rider, huh
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    ArkPrime wrote:
    So. Ghost Rider, huh

Thanks to a team-mate, who found these somewhere on FB (where apparently they were flying around yesterday) and took posterity shots. I assume these are the same as the shots that were pulled when posted several pages back.

Knowing who to look for I went back through - I must be looking in wrong spots, I can find two of the five (including the one that supposedly will be offered in the upcoming PVE event) but I can't seem to see the other three.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    SnowcaTT wrote:
    ArkPrime wrote:
    So. Ghost Rider, huh

Thanks to a team-mate, who found these somewhere on FB (where apparently they were flying around yesterday) and took posterity shots. I assume these are the same as the shots that were pulled when posted several pages back.

Knowing who to look for I went back through - I must be looking in wrong spots, I can find two of the five (including the one that supposedly will be offered in the upcoming PVE event) but I can't seem to see the other three.

As far as I can see, he havent appeared yet!
This discussion has been closed.