*** Daredevil (Man Without Fear) ***

Comments

• Is 3/5/3 dd good?
  • clay_peterson
    clay_peterson Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Ah, I didn't realize that the countdown CD had a different stun that the original one. Ok, 5 blue it is.
  • Cyclopes wrote:
    By a 2 turn stun do you mean off the countdown tile? Because my blues at 3 covers and it's already stunning for 2 turns.
    Yes, the countdown has a 2-turn stun at 5 covers. It doesn't always resolve, so it's not a huge jump in usability, but it does make it more useful -- and more likely to survive if there's only one enemy character.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    I hadn't really played with DD in the past, partly because of a lack of covers but also because he was viewed as underpowered and therefore not worth the iso8.png . After playing the Gauntlet with him, I think I have changed my tune quite a bit. I still don't have him fully covered at this point 4 purpleflag.png 3 blueflag.png 5 redflag.png lvl 95, but he was a TON of fun. I ran him in almost every battle that I could use him. He works really well with X-Force and Patch, and the stun saved my butt several times, even at 3 covers.

There are other guys that I have as a higher priority on my leveling list, but he now has a spot someday. To people with him maxed, would you say the above build at lvl 185 (the Gauntlet boost) is a rough approximation of how he might play at 166? I do want to get the blueflag.png to 5, but that being said, his purple helped quite a bit against guys like Blade and even just killing Cage's enemyprotect.png before big moves.
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    ZeroKarma wrote:
    I hadn't really played with DD in the past, partly because of a lack of covers but also because he was viewed as underpowered and therefore not worth the iso8.png . After playing the Gauntlet with him, I think I have changed my tune quite a bit. I still don't have him fully covered at this point 4 purpleflag.png 3 blueflag.png 5 redflag.png lvl 95, but he was a TON of fun. I ran him in almost every battle that I could use him. He works really well with X-Force and Patch, and the stun saved my butt several times, even at 3 covers.

There are other guys that I have as a higher priority on my leveling list, but he now has a spot someday. To people with him maxed, would you say the above build at lvl 185 (the Gauntlet boost) is a rough approximation of how he might play at 166? I do want to get the blueflag.png to 5, but that being said, his purple helped quite a bit against guys like Blade and even just killing Cage's enemyprotect.png before big moves.
    I had my Daredevil at 5/3/5 before the redesign and then moved to 3/5/5. Don't regret that change one bit. The stun is very powerful at 5 covers and should be maxed. The main reason to not max Radar Sense is that you won't run into special tiles in every game, but stunning and direct damage is always useful. Even at 3 covers Radar sense can still wipe out 3 tiles, which is plenty in my opinion. If you want him as a niche character who you mostly bring out against special tile users 5/5/3 is a decent build too, particularly if you have a strike tile maker.
  • Ryz-aus
    Ryz-aus Posts: 386
    ZeroKarma wrote:

You are probably getting a good feel for him there - I have found 3 purple to be sufficient (for things like mags/falcon I just bring loki), and love his red.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    In the DD essential nodes in the Gauntlet, I found DD's redflag.png worked surprisingly well within the MNMags purpleflag.png --> Mystique blueflag.png board-flooding combo. Amidst all the cascades, I'd inevitably get enough to cast DD's red once or twice, which would stay as red trap tiles amongst the purple and black, eventually being triggered by my own match-4s/5s.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    edited March 2015
    Daredevil is still not great. But his red/blue skills are relatively cheap and use practically no AP if tiles don't get lost. And when he's buffed?
    Level 395 Hulk/Luke Cage/oBW essential in Gauntlet which I simply whaled on during the speedrun: tried to help teammates beat it and wiped 2 good teams there, AP boosted and all: Punisher/Spider-Man/Loki and Punisher/Mystique/MMN.
    Cue Punisher/Daredevil/Hood with g/k and b/p ISO boosts, the only damage I took was from matching:

R4N0BYrl.png

Lvl 395 oBW took quite a few Ambush kicks to the face, Billy Club was as handy as usual, and with DD having cheaper skills than Captain America, you don't risk too much by using Judgement and its minor board shake up. Ambush even got overwritten by Cage a couple times, but it was no tragedy unlike when you get Cap's shields destroyed.
  • ZeroKarma
    ZeroKarma Posts: 513 Critical Contributor
    I have him spec'ed at 5/3/5, not because I was shooting for a specific build but because that was how the covers fell. Now I'm making him a priority for leveling because he's just fun to play.

While he may be more situational than great, my A team for Cage Match has been 249 icon_wolverine.png /166 icon_blade.png /130 icon_daredevil.png . I have been tearing people up, and going through the Thoress teams pretty quickly, and it is mainly because of Radar Sense with Berzerker Rage. Not only do you get rid of the enemy strike tiles immediately, but Radar Sense gets a big damage boost with Rage tiles on the board.

Might prefer to have someone other than Blade. Thoughts?
  • dkffiv
    dkffiv Posts: 1,039 Chairperson of the Boards
    Anyone else feel destroying special tiles should do knock-out level damage? I'd love to see DD's purple do 1k damage per tile destroyed at 5 covers (Captain Marvel's red doing damage per tile destroyed would be nice too). DD + Patch would almost be like a 4hor smite combo but the AI can't auto-pilot it and I don't see a problem with giving 3* players a nice combo in PvE.

Radar Sense should destroy traps (by definition isn't that the whole point of the move?) and I'd really like to see it take out CD tiles at 5 covers. If that were the case I'd seriously consider going 5/5/3.
  • Mine is 5/5/3. Not in a hurry to re-spec him. There are much better red attacks to use then one that has to be matched. Plus, usually the reason I put him on a team is for his purple. He was great in the cage match tourney. took out quite a few high level Patch's with a bezerker rage/radar sense combo.
  • I like DD more than his actual skills probably merit. Having played with him a lot, Loki and Cyclops are good compliments as each greatly increases the likelihood of the red trap getting matched early and often.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    I really don't understand the love for the red ability. For 8 AP you get barely the hopes of some day maybe getting 3k damage. But then the trap is put on a tile on a bottom corner where it is never matched or eventually destroyed by an ability without triggering it. And I personally haven't managed to match it myself more than once. Not to mention that is absolutely useless against Daken, Blade, Luke Cage, Magneto, 4hor and anyone else who can place red special tiles that overwrite it. So let's recap:

-Cannot be used against a significant number of the top characters.
    -More often than not doesn't deal damage immediately.
    -There's a significant risk of it actually never doing anything at all during the game.
    -It's not even a particularly efficient AP-to-damage ratio if triggered by yourself.

Radar Sense, on the other hand it's an awesome companion to Berserker Rage and a great counter to many characters, including all the ones that Ambush is bad against. It's not particularly great damage, but it's decent, reliable utility.
  • If you use his red carefully - not just launching it as soon as you have the ap - it's very easy to get it to go off. I had a match a few days ago where I triggered it, then the AI triggered it after it moved, and it took out a 10k hit point character. You have to wait until most of the red on the board is matchable to launch it.
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    Yeah, I love his new red. Especially since by the time I have a red rich board, I often have enough red to drop it twice or more. Setting off two Ambush traps on high health targets is just lovely. Though there do seem to be instances where both traps won't respawn when I've made the match. Sometimes I'll only get one back.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    If people are still talking about best-spec for Daredevil [which is fine!], then I think the devs did an excellent job with his rebalance.

With his covers being so plentiful before and after the rebalance, I've tried all three abilities at 5 since, and would never begrudge anyone choosing or sticking to 5/5/3, 5/3/5, or 3/5/5 for whatever reasons they may have or playstyle they enjoy. 5 purple was great against certain opponents or when I used him with my 5-green Patch, but not so great in or against other groups. 5 red is very powerful, but sometimes even with trying to plan properly, a match will end without it going off at all. Both abilities to me offer an equal tradeoff of usefulness vs. risk of uselessness. I personally settled on 3/5/5, as I do enjoy the occasional challenge of trying to manipulate the enemy into setting off the trap(s) -- the playstyle's a refreshing break from the autopilot of my usual PVP grind.
    (I do as well now find his blue @ 5 essential, after initially dismissing it at first after the rebalance.)

Daredevil will never be an ultra-competitive PVP character, but he is fun to use in any configuration in PVE or lower-ranks PVP -- so choose whichever spec most jives with your personal playstyle. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Even though they share the same colours, I'm wondering if MNMags has gotten even better with Daredevil. His polarity shift can often shoot the red ambush tile and create more red to match against it, while also generating blue for stuns.
  • Trilateralus
    Trilateralus Posts: 251 Mover and Shaker
    Pylgrim wrote:
    I really don't understand the love for the red ability. For 8 AP you get barely the hopes of some day maybe getting 3k damage. But then the trap is put on a tile on a bottom corner where it is never matched or eventually destroyed by an ability without triggering it. And I personally haven't managed to match it myself more than once. Not to mention that is absolutely useless against Daken, Blade, Luke Cage, Magneto, 4hor and anyone else who can place red special tiles that overwrite it. So let's recap:

-Cannot be used against a significant number of the top characters.
    -More often than not doesn't deal damage immediately.
    -There's a significant risk of it actually never doing anything at all during the game.
    -It's not even a particularly efficient AP-to-damage ratio if triggered by yourself.

Radar Sense, on the other hand it's an awesome companion to Berserker Rage and a great counter to many characters, including all the ones that Ambush is bad against. It's not particularly great damage, but it's decent, reliable utility.

As Ben Grimm said Ambush requires the right timing. If you find you have trouble matching it bring someone who can move it for you. Loki's Illusions is a great choice but CMags blue can work in a pinch.
  • The thing with 5 purpleflag.png Daredevil going with 5 greenflag.png Patch or against enemystrike.png / enemyprotect.png spammers is that you'd better off using Loki that for 1 AP more will clear and give you every single one on board. Sure, he won't get rid of eattack.png, but that's even more niche. I don't really see much sense into giving up half damage on red, turning him into full support, just for extra 2 tiles erased. Maybe if there were countdowns...
  • I was blown away by how strong daredevil became during the last event where he was buffed. I regularly avoid maxed lazy Thor x force combos because who really wants to chew threw twenty thousand health? But using an OBW and a 166 daredevil and 200 Xforce, I was regularly surgical striking away the main color, which was usually green and then dropping Ambush traps. Even if I was matching it, I was still doing 3k for 8 red ap. And when the lazy Thor would match it, there goes Lazy Thor, one shot into oblivion.