*** Daredevil (Man Without Fear) ***

Comments

• Wobby
    Wobby Posts: 286 Mover and Shaker
    john1620b wrote:
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    While I do like the new Daredevil I think Billy Club is stronger. Billy Club has saved me more times than not and Ambush at level 3 is still good at removing tiles. There's 2 things I don't like about Ambush. 1) it doesn't destroy CD or trap tiles, 2) it costs 10 AP to me that's really expensive. Plus it's 2870 vs. 1253 and that's assuming you have 5 tiles out. Its 417 vs 574 per tile from lvl 3 to 5 vs giving up 1 one less timer on blue, 1 less stun and an extra AP on match. To me not going 5 blue is worse than not going 5 purple, plus we have Squirrel Girl who, while not destroying the tiles like DD does a lot more damage and her's costs 9
    Having played with a 5/3/5 since his buff, I agree with every one of Phaserhawk's points. There are too many conditionals for purpleflag.png , and blueflag.png is pretty much useful all the time. 3/5/5 is definitely his best build in my mind now.

Agreed, I liked icon_daredevil.png for utility with berserker Rage but now that icon_loki.png is the hotness to bring into a match there's no reason not to make him 3/5/5.
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wobby wrote:
    Agreed, I liked icon_daredevil.png for utility with berserker Rage but now that icon_loki.png is the hotness to bring into a match there's no reason not to make him 3/5/5.
    You could argue that DD's purple after BR deals almost 4k damage. Loki's black doesn't deal any damage at all. Depending on the opponent, the damage might be more valuable than the protect tiles.
  • Trisul
    Trisul Posts: 887 Critical Contributor
    simonsez wrote:
    You could argue that DD's purple after BR deals almost 4k damage. Loki's black doesn't deal any damage at all. Depending on the opponent, the damage might be more valuable than the protect tiles.
    Dat passive though.
  • I'm currently building a daredevil and from what I saw on the forums I read that trap tiles are terrible. So I was under the impression that the best way to go was 5/5/3. By the end of rocket and groot i'll have 2/3/2 either way. I'm just curious why people favor the trap over radar sense here
  • Quebbster
    Quebbster Posts: 8,070 Chairperson of the Boards
    Cyclopes wrote:
    I'm currently building a daredevil and from what I saw on the forums I read that trap tiles are terrible. So I was under the impression that the best way to go was 5/5/3. By the end of rocket and groot i'll have 2/3/2 either way. I'm just curious why people favor the trap over radar sense here
    You may have read about the old version of Daredevil. The new Ambush is great particularly if you have strike tiles. The old one did neglible damage if you matched it yourself, but the new one lets you keep pumping out extra hits.
  • Cyclopes wrote:
    I'm currently building a daredevil and from what I saw on the forums I read that trap tiles are terrible. So I was under the impression that the best way to go was 5/5/3. By the end of rocket and groot i'll have 2/3/2 either way. I'm just curious why people favor the trap over radar sense here

The real value of Ambush isn't waiting for the opponent to activate it; it's deliberately activating it yourself, over and over and over, doing 3000 damage every time. Radar Sense isn't bad, but it's more of a niche power.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    Cyclopes wrote:

The real value of Ambush isn't waiting for the opponent to activate it; it's deliberately activating it yourself, over and over and over, doing 3000 damage every time. Radar Sense isn't bad, but it's more of a niche power.
    Maybe it's just the people that i'm pairing him with but I don't see a lot of red to make this a thing. Besides that oftentimes the trap tile at least for me goes into a corner in a spot where I have no use for it. It'll simply never get matched.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    Cyclopes wrote:
    Maybe it's just the people that i'm pairing him with but I don't see a lot of red to make this a thing. Besides that oftentimes the trap tile at least for me goes into a corner in a spot where I have no use for it. It'll simply never get matched.

For THAT exact situation... I'm really looking forward to pairing Daredevil with Cyclops and his "create red" power. Potential cascades + Ambush at the same time? YES PLEASE.
  • Cyclopes wrote:

For THAT exact situation... I'm really looking forward to pairing Daredevil with Cyclops and his "create red" power. Potential cascades + Ambush at the same time? YES PLEASE.
    Oh yea i'm definetly looking forward to Cyclops. He combos so well with a lot of people I think. I don't know I have a while before I even start considering these situations. But at the very least is blue good to fully cover out?
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    Yes, despite the major damage-buff to red, DD's blue is fantastic and absolutely worth having at 5 covers in any build for him.

Mine was 5/3/5 before the rebalance, but after too many matches where his purple was useless or near-useless, I switched to 3/5/5 and haven't looked back.
  • hurcules
    hurcules Posts: 519
    The only problem with new Ambush is if DD tanks red in your team. Matching that Ambush tile will open up DD to next attack. Sadly 6800 health is the new squishy in the current meta.
  • Quebbster
    hurcules wrote:
    The only problem with new Ambush is if DD tanks red in your team. Matching that Ambush tile will open up DD to next attack. Sadly 6800 health is the new squishy in the current meta.
    That's why I always pair him with Patch who tanks red for him. Strike tiles are a nice bonus.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Quebbster wrote:
    hurcules wrote:
    That's why I always pair him with Patch who tanks red for him. Strike tiles are a nice bonus.

yeah, I have my DD 3/5/5 and he really goes with Patch well, sure you can't benefit from DD's purple as much, but blowing up 3 strike tiles still halves the return damage, and your own strike tiles can mitigate the losses, plus you can lock down better with 3/5/5 but yeah, Patch can tank all the red and shrug it off. Deadpool is another decent one, he doesn't regen in the match, but his accelerated healing lets him come back sooner, plus he tanks purple too.
  • So 3/5/5 is the new optimum, huh?

It's too bad - I have a 5/3/5 which should be optimal for Patch, but I never run him with Patch...
  • Quebbster
    kalirion wrote:
    So 3/5/5 is the new optimum, huh?

It's too bad - I have a 5/3/5 which should be optimal for Patch, but I never run him with Patch...
    Radar sense is trickier to use than Billy Club or Ambush, so it makes sense to max the powers you'll use most. For use with Patch I could see a 5/5/3 build though since you'd be relying on the strike tiles for damage.
  • kalirion wrote:
    So 3/5/5 is the new optimum, huh?

It's the same for me, I just have now a 5/3/5 Daredevil, and I think he is considerably better in 3/5/5. But in the gauntlet event, I think he will be useful against opponents like Magneto, Falcon, Patch, etc..
    I remember last time the fight against Falcon + Magneto was almost impossible when Magneto launched Coercive Field. This time with Radar Sense you can almost cancel it.
  • clay_peterson
    clay_peterson Posts: 46 Just Dropped In
    Why isn't anyone suggesting 4/4/5? The only benefit of 5 blue over 4 is an extra AP when you match the countdown tile. Well, I would never match that tile away intentionally so that extra AP would very rarely be seen.

But 4 in purple means extra damage and, more importantly, an extra enemy special tile destroyed (with a slight extra chance for a cascade). That could be crucial against someone like Daken or CMags. Or after I cast Beserker Rage.

And I wouldn't want to go down to 3 in blue because the CD tile increases, which makes it must less useful. So unless I see a really good argument otherwise, 4/4/5 is the way to go.
  • Quebbster
    Why isn't anyone suggesting 4/4/5? The only benefit of 5 blue over 4 is an extra AP when you match the countdown tile. Well, I would never match that tile away intentionally so that extra AP would very rarely be seen.

But 4 in purple means extra damage and, more importantly, an extra enemy special tile destroyed (with a slight extra chance for a cascade). That could be crucial against someone like Daken or CMags. Or after I cast Beserker Rage.

And I wouldn't want to go down to 3 in blue because the CD tile increases, which makes it must less useful. So unless I see a really good argument otherwise, 4/4/5 is the way to go.
    5 blue also means the countdown stuns for two turns instead of one, and that's a big deal. It makes it a lot easier to stunlock the enemy.
  • Why 4/4/5 is not as good:

At 5 covers in blue, the stun increases to 2 turns, which is just 1 less than the countdown tile. This means it's more reliable in stun-locking at level 5, which is important if you're using it for that purpose.

Also, like has been mentioned earlier, it's rare to have more than 3 special tiles out that you can use Radar Sense on. Even if there are, a single extra tile removed and a few hundred points in damage isn't likely going to swing a battle like an extra turn of stun can.
  • john1620b wrote:
    Why 4/4/5 is not as good:

At 5 covers in blue, the stun increases to 2 turns, which is just 1 less than the countdown tile. This means it's more reliable in stun-locking at level 5, which is important if you're using it for that purpose.

Also, like has been mentioned earlier, it's rare to have more than 3 special tiles out that you can use Radar Sense on. Even if there are, a single extra tile removed and a few hundred points in damage isn't likely going to swing a battle like an extra turn of stun can.
    By a 2 turn stun do you mean off the countdown tile? Because my blues at 3 covers and it's already stunning for 2 turns.

Either way i'm inclined to agree that 5 in blue is a necessity. I'm starting to think that 5 red is the way to go as well considering how useful it's been in the gauntlet thus far. And how even when i'm up against teams with tiles, pretty much useless purples been.