*** Doctor Octopus (Otto Octavius) ***

Comments

• kozmikpr wrote:
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not that crazy about Doc Ock. I thought they would have put more thought into his abilities. I'll be playing the story just because I know he's going to be needed for future events. But, he's really not someone I'm going to waste ISO on to build. Pretty disappointed... icon_e_confused.gificon_e_confused.gificon_e_confused.gificon_e_confused.gificon_e_confused.gificon_e_confused.gif
    I feel they put thought into him, just like many other characters, creating abilities that sound cool, but in play, don't work.
    Just feels like they simply don't play test them long enough.
    All they do is release characters that need to be buffed.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    kozmikpr wrote:
    I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not that crazy about Doc Ock. I thought they would have put more thought into his abilities. I'll be playing the story just because I know he's going to be needed for future events. But, he's really not someone I'm going to waste ISO on to build. Pretty disappointed... icon_e_confused.gificon_e_confused.gificon_e_confused.gificon_e_confused.gificon_e_confused.gificon_e_confused.gif
    I feel they put thought into him, just like many other characters, creating abilities that sound cool, but in play, don't work.

Just to give you guys a heads up, he is going to be a major pain when the AI is using him in PvE. Sure he's not powerful for the player to use, but when he's matching all your Daken strike tiles and he's buffed to 295, those attack tiles are going to hurt, and when he grabs all your Sentry tiles and blows them up while nuking you in the process because some goon is feeding him blue, you will say the Dr. is overpowered.

This guy is a counter character, which is great, except, in PvP he's useless as that enviornment is too fast, and when attacking with him in PvE he's also too situational. But when you are attacking into him in PvE he will be smacking us around, just be prepared for one of the worst new AI combatants. Seriously he counters the Daken/Falcon PvE powerhouse as he will just destroy all your tiles.
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    kozmikpr wrote:

Just to give you guys a heads up, he is going to be a major pain when the AI is using him in PvE. Sure he's not powerful for the player to use, but when he's matching all your Daken strike tiles and he's buffed to 295, those attack tiles are going to hurt, and when he grabs all your Sentry tiles and blows them up while nuking you in the process because some goon is feeding him blue, you will say the Dr. is overpowered.

This guy is a counter character, which is great, except, in PvP he's useless as that enviornment is too fast, and when attacking with him in PvE he's also too situational. But when you are attacking into him in PvE he will be smacking us around, just be prepared for one of the worst new AI combatants. Seriously he counters the Daken/Falcon PvE powerhouse as he will just destroy all your tiles.

So basically... Its another ploy to sell more health packs.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    kozmikpr wrote:

So basically... Its another ploy to sell more health packs.

Imagine Doc Ock with Maggia, just feeding his blue, ugh, not looking forward to that. Just keep him away from the Doombots, or we are screwed, which scares me since Doc Ock and Doombots are on the load screen.

The only way to counter him is to run straight damage no frills guys like Thor
  • NorthernPolarity
    You know what would be the ultimate health pack seller? Imagine a sim where daken is the featured, essential nodes, and thise nodes have doc ock + goons on them. Youd be forced to use daken, and give oct ock fuel for his attack tiles and blue. its a health pack goldmine!
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    locked wrote:
    His powers appear to be specifically targetted against Human Torch in particular. Especially his green, to dispatch the one Torch CD tile and remove 5 red, and his blue and black to deal with Torch's black. Weird in that he's supposed to be nemesis of Spiderman instead of Torch.

Then again its not easy to design a character to deal with Spiderman without being too niche, like web-tile specific attacks.
    I think Doc Ock will play nicely enough against Spider-Man. He utilizes blue, too, and Spidey depends on protect tiles to be useful. More than that, attack tiles work through stun which Spidey specializes in. Would be nice if webtiles were recognized as special tiles, though.
    Yes, because icon_spiderman.png is such a threat that he needs a counter. Do webs even count as special tiles?
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    kozmikpr wrote:

I find it a bit weird to proclaim a character won't work when no one outside of the dev team has actually played him yet. Sure he won't see any use ever in PvP but that's less a testament to how 'bad' Doc Ock is and more how dominant the top teir characters are.
  • FierceKiwi wrote:
    kozmikpr wrote:

I find it a bit weird to proclaim a character won't work when no one outside of the dev team has actually played him yet. Sure he won't see any use ever in PvP but that's less a testament to how 'bad' Doc Ock is and more how dominant the top teir characters are.

This is the new world order. All characters are either OP or total garbage. Judgement is instant and infallible. Playing with a different roster, a different style, or for 'fun' is strictly prohibited. We have always been at war with Eurasia.
  • NorthernPolarity
    FierceKiwi wrote:
    kozmikpr wrote:

It's pretty easy to predict how a character will do based off of initial community reaction and looking at his skills. I don't recall the general community consensus ever really be wrong for any recently released character.
  • FierceKiwi
    FierceKiwi Posts: 505 Critical Contributor
    I seem to recall most people calling Captain Marvel complete rubbish up untill her latest tourney when people actually had her decently covered. No one is calling her game breaking now but a lot of people seem to have changed there view of her to being at least somewhat good.
  • NorthernPolarity
    FierceKiwi wrote:
    I seem to recall most people calling Captain Marvel complete rubbish up untill her latest tourney when people actually had her decently covered. No one is calling her game breaking now but a lot of people seem to have changed there view of her to being at least somewhat good.

Fair enough. Its also hard to really say what "community consensus" is in the first place, i might be biasd more towards my personal opinions. I think i placed marvs as slightly better than hulk tier since shes not as worthless on offense as hulk while accomplishing the same defensively as hulk, and thats what her place seems to be now.
  • Spoit wrote:
    Yes, because icon_spiderman.png is such a threat that he needs a counter. Do webs even count as special tiles?
    They don't; at least I tried to test that with my 5/5/3 Moonstone or someone else who deals with all enemy special tiles, failed to grab an enemy webtile.
    Nope, Spidey is not a huge threat icon_e_biggrin.gif Still, hey, Ock is playable against Spidey! It's something!
  • Phaserhawk
    FierceKiwi wrote:

The only reason she was decent was that if you did not calculate your Sentry Bomb math correctly you just gave her a ton of red and possibly black AP and if you couldn't finish them, KABOOM!!!! Pluse she just slowed the game terribly
  • Hm, what about Mohawk storm? I seem to recall her having a more favorable reception before her covers came out. Might be mistaken, though.

I do agree with your overall hypothesis that initial reaction is fairly accurate, at least as far as I've seen.
  • Hm, what about Mohawk storm? I seem to recall her having a more favorable reception before her covers came out. Might be mistaken, though.

You are correct about the change in tone on Mororo, but I think it was more due to her enviro/TU nerf, rather than an organic change in tone.
    Captain Marvel, however, that was a complete 180. People were down on her from the outset, but are more high on her now. (I, for one, am still not overly impressed)
  • From the Doc Ock interview: "So when you match up that tile, which can also be caused by the Blue ability, Manipulation, he then adds Attack Tiles to the board." IF that means tiles destroyed by blue = attack tiles, then 5/5/3 just got even more solid.
  • Nellyson
    Nellyson Posts: 354 Mover and Shaker
    Lerysh wrote:
    From the Doc Ock interview: "So when you match up that tile, which can also be caused by the Blue ability, Manipulation, he then adds Attack Tiles to the board." IF that means tiles destroyed by blue = attack tiles, then 5/5/3 just got even more solid.

Right!? I like the direction they're going with new characters. They're getting very interesting to use. Of course, this is moot because icon_sentry.png is so ridiculous, but that'll work itself out eventually.....I think.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Nellyson wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:
    From the Doc Ock interview: "So when you match up that tile, which can also be caused by the Blue ability, Manipulation, he then adds Attack Tiles to the board." IF that means tiles destroyed by blue = attack tiles, then 5/5/3 just got even more solid.

Right!? I like the direction they're going with new characters. They're getting very interesting to use. Of course, this is moot because icon_sentry.png is so ridiculous, but that'll work itself out eventually.....I think.

Sentry will be gone, and then everyone will move onto X-Force and the new status quo will have arisen. There is really just no hope for situational characters like Doc Ock in PvP unless the PvP structure itself dramatically changes.
  • Nellyson
    Nellyson Posts: 354 Mover and Shaker
    Nellyson wrote:
    Lerysh wrote:

Sentry will be gone, and then everyone will move onto X-Force and the new status quo will have arisen. There is really just no hope for situational characters like Doc Ock in PvP unless the PvP structure itself dramatically changes.

Very true, but he's not on the same level as Sentry in terms of speed kills. Yeah, icon_wolverine.png is super powerful, but you can't kill the entire team in 3 moves. So yeah, we may see a shift to X-Force, but that's not as bad and I think we'll see more mix of teams again. Maybe, maybe not. We'll see.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    Let's see, the Doombot is a Robot.
    Doom has a Robot mask (I guess he used to be the front man in some techno metal band?)
    Doc Ock has Robot Tentacles.
    Hulk wears Robot pants (otherwise his jolly green giant would be showing every time he Hulks out.)

No one else has any robot parts in the game.

Sounds like an opportunity for some new characters!

Gender Bender
    2Dq0Mnc.gif
    purpleflag.png I'm a real toughie! 8 AP
    Bender throws your sense of gender into chaos. Changing all of a random single color basic tile into another random color.
    Upgrades: changes strike tiles as well, changes attack tiles as well, changes protect tiles as well, choose which color tile changes, changes a 2nd random color tile as well.
    redflag.png Bendering Time! 7 AP
    Bender uses his superior bending ability to bend the very board itself. Destroys a selected 3 x 3 triangle of tiles, doing damage, but not generating AP.
    Upgrades: Bigger affected area till it destroys a 7 x 7 triangle of tiles.
    blackflag.png Bite my shiny metal ****! (Passive)
    Each time Bender takes damage, does x damage to opponent causing damage.
    Upgrades: Increased damage, max level is equal to a match 3 of primary color.