Wouldn't it be:

Edit 1 by Grimm to add preliminary powers
    Edit 2 by IceIX to add the full list
    Edit 3 by Grimm to add the poll
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,311 Site Admin
    Moon Roach wrote:
    IceIX wrote:
    Posted the pre-release stats for him in the OP.

Interesting, the OP still says: Last edited by Ben Grimm on Fri Sep 26, 2014 6:52 am, edited 3 times in total.

That's my TZ, of course, your post was at 9:43 am.

Does this mean that edits by super-duper admin accounts of other person's posts aren't recorded anywhere? Just wondering because noticing that kind of thing triggers my OCD.
    Yep, unless I go and manually put in an edit note, admin edits don't trigger a "Last edited". Us admins can change history! Your post never said that, look! It hasn't even been edited!
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh hey, his green does exactly as much damage as I thought it would haha. Pretty easy 5/5/3 I believe, as they are clearly his best abilities. I misread blue: it actually destroys the tile if the tile was SELECTED to be swapped, I thought it just did damage if the swap resulted in a match 3 that destroyed the tile. Green 3->5 seems marginal since its what, an extra 300 team damage, 2 AP destroyed, and 2 turns of stun? Compared to doubling blacks effectiveness or making blue work vs goons. There might be merit in 5/3/5 since not sure if having 2 134 attack tile is that much better than 1 134 attack tile, but green just has reprieve written all over it so it's probably 5/5/3.
  • Pwuz_
    Pwuz_ Posts: 1,213 Chairperson of the Boards
    While a rebalance is obviously needed, I can come up with a couple of moves that counter WR pretty easily on offense while still having value elsewhere:
    2. Passive - As soon as a single enemy CD tile activates, end the turn immediately (they don't get a match or anything)

That pretty much perma-stuns any AI Human Torch Team starting on the 2nd turn (1st with a cascade or match 5).
  • TazFTW
    TazFTW Posts: 695 Critical Contributor
    Countdowns are considered "special" right?

First read it would seem that Doc Ock is a PVE machine.
  • CrookedKnight
    CrookedKnight Posts: 2,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    Oh, he is going to eat goons for breakfast. And he'll make a better than average counter to AI Sentries, it's just that you need to boost/rush blue to make it happen so the defending AI won't pull it off more than one time in six.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,311 Site Admin
    TazFTW wrote:
    Countdowns are considered "special" right?

First read it would seem that Doc Ock is a PVE machine.
    Yep, Countdown tiles are special tiles.
  • This is one of the characters who seems to be designed in a world without Sentry, Thor, X Force, or The Hood. I don't think the design is bad, but problem is those guys do exist.
  • He's no beast, but he's no sentry or l daken either. Beast's green, dp's black, colossus yellow, and now doc ocks.... All these characters are so close to being great and useful, but they all seem to have one ability that is not as good as it should be, so the whole character suffers and end up being sub par. The potential is there for all these characters to be great and used frequently, instead they don't measure up and just sit on my bench.
  • 553 or 544 are both good to me. Depends on how you want to use him.

4 black makes 2 strike tiles for 2/3 the damage, which isn't that bad of a trade for an extra turn of stun. Black is a high priority color for a lot of the bad guys in PvE (Venom/Daken/Bullseye, etc). Very spammable though, finally a good counter to the morale boost coming out every turn from HAMMER.

Green is a targeted stun when there is only one enemy left, useful . Even the random shot could be fine on some of the nastier teams, since it means you can take a break denying for the second or third character.
  • NorthernPolarity
    553 or 544 are both good to me. Depends on how you want to use him.

4 black makes 2 strike tiles for 2/3 the damage, which isn't that bad of a trade for an extra turn of stun. Black is a high priority color for a lot of the bad guys in PvE (Venom/Daken/Bullseye, etc). Very spammable though, finally a good counter to the morale boost coming out every turn from HAMMER.

Green is a targeted stun when there is only one enemy left, useful . Even the random shot could be fine on some of the nastier teams, since it means you can take a break denying for the second or third character.

The problem is that green costs 11ap and well, is green. Youre either going to never cast it becsuse its a low priority color that costs 11, or because you have a better green ability. It just seems like a mediocre ability in general because d3 overvalues defensive stats.
  • Phaserhawk wrote:
    Obviously with Dr. Octopus being on the title screen, he's coming. But....why Dr.Doom, Hulk, Doom Bots? I Think with the 1yr anniversary there is something more brewing.

Why are all those characters Green?
    Why are 3 of those characters Dr.'s?
    Why do they all have or made from something metal? (Chassis, armor, pants, tentacles)

I think with the 1yr and Halloween rolling around there may be a trick up their sleeve.

Perhaps Green Goblin or Dr. Strange? Green Goblin seems most fitting, but I just think there is more to that cover page than meets the eye.
    Half Life 3 confirmed icon_e_biggrin.gif

At first I read the in-game pop-up as Doctor Doom reward fro the first time and didn't realize for a long time while playing the PvE until I checked the rewards tab.
  • NorthernPolarity
    Pwuz_ wrote:
    While a rebalance is obviously needed, I can come up with a couple of moves that counter WR pretty easily on offense while still having value elsewhere:
    2. Passive - As soon as a single enemy CD tile activates, end the turn immediately (they don't get a match or anything)

That pretty much perma-stuns any AI Human Torch Team starting on the 2nd turn (1st with a cascade or match 5).

Touche.
  • After seeing the numbers, 5/5/3 is clearly the best build.

Green doesn't seem to matter much as it doesn't deal a ton of damage anyway.
  • Pwuz_ wrote:

I don't see why they just don't make a 3* version of OBW's heal/countdown timer increase. Even if they remove the heal or change it to something else that would be a very useful skill, and not just for WR.
  • Using a X-force and a chemical reaction and he's a goner... He's just a ok char for pvp and a great pve char. D3 could've created better powers for him and like colossus and beast he's just going to be used mostly on pve and his buffed pvp.
  • unbemator wrote:
    Using a X-force and a chemical reaction and he's a goner... He's just a ok char for pvp and a great pve char. D3 could've created better powers for him and like colossus and beast he's just going to be used mostly on pve and his buffed pvp.

Maybe that's their plan!! lol

We always complain about PvE events and their scaling, so they give us characters that can help deal with those pains

ala icon_colossus_new.png and icon_doctoroctopus.png

as for icon_beast.png .........welllllllll I dunno.
  • Ben Grimm wrote:
    IceIX Edit:
      Manipulation - Blue 11 AP
      Dr. Octavius reaches out with his mechanical arms to use controls and devices, smashing enemy plans easily. Swaps 8 pairs of random tiles, destroying any swapped enemy Attack tiles and dealing 110 damage for each tile destroyed.
      Level Upgrades
        Level 2: Also destroys enemy Strike tiles. Level 3: Deals 146 damage for each destroyed tile. Level 4: Also destroys enemy Protect tiles. Level 5: Destroys any enemy special tile when swapped.
      Max Level: 463 damage per special tile swapped

So, basically, against anyone but Sentry this power is a more expensive less useful version of Illusions? 11 AP is WAY to expensive for this power, unless it has a preference for special tiles in it's randomness, which I doubt. If there were 3 special tiles on the board and I had 5 covers in this, if I used it and got 0 damage I would be pissed off. I would much MUCH rather have a power that did targeted elimination of special tiles, 0 damage, which is more in line with a blue power anyway. How many blue powers actually do damage?

If, instead of swaps, it just destroyed X random specials from among the list of Attack tiles at 1, plus Strikes at 2, plus Protects at 4, plus CDs at 5, and then maybe a lower damage per tile destroyed I would be much happier. If this destruction then also triggered his passive it would be worth something like 11 AP, but an 8 random tile swap for 11 AP? Seriously?
    • john1620b
      john1620b Posts: 367
      edited September 2014
      Yeah, I agree with Lerysh. I voted for 3/5/5, because there's no guarantee that special tiles will be swapped -- if there's only a few special tiles on the board, you have a ~1/4 chance of matching them. It'd be good against Storm or Sentry, but less useful everywhere.

Then again, green isn't that hot going from 3 to 5 either, so I'm not completely set on the build I voted for, either.

Edit: Upon further consideration, I'm changing my vote to 5/5/3. His blue is still extremely situational (I'd say it's even less useful than Loki's Trickery, considering the chance that you're actually going to switch & destroy a special tile) but there are so many good green abilities, his won't ever be used unless you have nothing else to spend it on.
    • I'm torn on 3/5/5 or 5/5/3 too. Having a strong Blue slightly weakens his black. Getting 2 of World Rapture's countdowns in a grab isn't too big of a deal; you're more likely to get cascades by the swaps rather than destroying tiles. Will have to see how it works though.