*** Captain Marvel (Modern) ***

Comments

• wade66
    wade66 Posts: 212 Tile Toppler
    Her cover reminds me too much of the Blink-182 cd cover for Enema of the State.
  • BearVenger
    BearVenger Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    I really thought it was a bad(tinykitty) cover...

Until it started reminding me of the cross-eyed stray Siamese cat that prowls our neighborhood.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Ghast wrote:
    She has the look of someone who is about to do a full-cavity search - for fun.
    You can always make time for a prostate exam icon_e_wink.gif
  • kidicarus
    kidicarus Posts: 420 Mover and Shaker
    While I'd like every female character in the game to be drawn by Adam Hughes, I quite like the character cover.

Also the character art does project a rosie the riveter vibe.
  • kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    She did this to poor Cartman
    391313785a3941197248b642122929l.jpg
  • Dayv
    Dayv Posts: 4,449 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ghast wrote:
    There, it took me five minutes to find a cover without bar codes or promotional schmaltz on it. No need to thank me. Just doing your job for you.
    I thought you were gonna complain about the art they chose. All that promo noise on it? Yeah, totally with you there.
  • If you look at your roster you can see that a lot of the existing covers have bar codes and other **** on them as well. It's just the way they decided to go, I guess to give it a more authentic, fresh off the shelf kind of look. Yours is better, though, for sure. Tinykitty bar codes. Get 'em the **** outta here.

While we're at it get that cover the **** outta here too, and her derpy junior high-school marching band costume. Get Carol her Ms Marvel costume, and get her some better powers. And while we're at it I've got some other complaints too. For starters....hey, where's everybody going? Come back. icon_redface.gif
  • Thoughts:

-- Captain Marvel is Psylocke 2.0, with similar skills, at roughly similar speed and Power (Black is more powerful because of 9 (3-match) cost, compared to Psylocke's 6 (2-match) cost.)

** Red: Swap Psylocke's Strike tile generation for Marvel's defense tile destruction.
    ** Black: Sap Psylocke's Attack tile generation for Marvel's stun and strike tile generation for the enemy.
    ** Yellow: Bonus power, that unlike Psylocke's Blue, is actually useful. It's Hulk's Anger that generates Red/Black, instead of Green (and without the messy board reset as well).

-- I didn't see this mentioned anywhere on these three pages, or in the OP, but one of Marvel's greatest potential advantages is Hood/Bullseye/Hawkeye level critical hits (4.5x). This is the first time that a 4.5x critical value has been issued to a tank-type character. Pair her up with the appropriate critical tile generators and watch the damage fly.

So, Psylocke/Hulk hybrid, with a 4.5x crit multiplier? I'm pretty sure I could build a team around that.
  • vudu3
    vudu3 Posts: 940 Critical Contributor
    Clintman wrote:
    Now if only we could get better than "Archie Comics" quality in the cover.
    It's still better than the 3* Cap cover.
  • vudu3 wrote:
    Clintman wrote:
    Now if only we could get better than "Archie Comics" quality in the cover.
    It's still better than the 3* Cap cover.

I actually like it.
  • I would feel so much better about her red power if it extended to other kinds of special tiles as well. Even if it prioritized protect tiles first, the ability to knock out enemy strike and attack tiles as well would make her so much more versatile. If it's going to do mediocre damage as a red power it better have great utility. If for 7 red I could cleanse the world of all that ails me that would be a reason to go for 5 covers in this power, and make her a legit counter to a lot of bad stuff. As it stands, likely the only people you will see with her red maxed out are those who haven't had a choice yet to do otherwise.
  • Anyone have a record of old cover? I haven't seen it.
  • elusive
    elusive Posts: 261 Mover and Shaker
    I personally don't like the character art they made for in-game use; the hair (seems to be extra wavy/stringy compared to how she usually looks) and face just look wrong to me. It's still not as bad as poor Steve's, though.

I'm just being nitpicky because I'm normally a fan of her look, don't pay me any mind.
  • Thugpatrol wrote:
    If you look at your roster you can see that a lot of the existing covers have bar codes and other **** on them as well. It's just the way they decided to go, I guess to give it a more authentic, fresh off the shelf kind of look. Yours is better, though, for sure. Tinykitty bar codes. Get 'em the tinykitty outta here.

While we're at it get that cover the tinykitty outta here too, and her derpy junior high-school marching band costume. Get Carol her Ms Marvel costume, and get her some better powers. And while we're at it I've got some other complaints too. For starters....hey, where's everybody going? Come back. icon_redface.gif

I like her Captain Marvel look a lot, and I'm glad they went with it. The good news for you is they'll probably do a 2* Ms Marvel bathing suit version at some point.
  • eidehua
    eidehua Posts: 521 Critical Contributor
    I actual don't really like skills that have an "all" tag-- Cap Marvel's Red, Loki's black, Hood's Black, etc.. It's in the same category for me as DD's red-- the Potential damage is very high, but really MPQ is about doing as many matches as possible in a short timeframe-- skills that have potential to be amazing don't really cut it, since they usually have a big tradeoff. I'd rather the 5th point for marvel give her more damage, and Hood's black to decrease cd's by 2 or something like that.

5 black hood is only good with sentry, and before him there was no point for 5 black hood.
    Loki's black has huge potential, but for that potential the skill costs a lot of AP.
    Cap Marvel's Red has a lot of potential, but it's only for protect tiles which aren't that strong in the meta game now and also has lackluster damage because 2 covers go to protect tile destruction.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thugpatrol wrote:
    If you look at your roster you can see that a lot of the existing covers have bar codes and other **** on them as well. It's just the way they decided to go, I guess to give it a more authentic, fresh off the shelf kind of look. Yours is better, though, for sure. Tinykitty bar codes. Get 'em the tinykitty outta here.

While we're at it get that cover the tinykitty outta here too, and her derpy junior high-school marching band costume. Get Carol her Ms Marvel costume, and get her some better powers. And while we're at it I've got some other complaints too. For starters....hey, where's everybody going? Come back. icon_redface.gif

I like her Captain Marvel look a lot, and I'm glad they went with it. The good news for you is they'll probably do a 2* Ms Marvel bathing suit version at some point.
    Moonstone icon_lol.gif
  • orionpeace
    orionpeace Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
    Maybe they are going to rework Invisible Woman to have powerful protect tiles and they are inserting her counter prior to that change.

Wishful thinking, I know. But it would be nice to think that they actually intend to fix heroes that are subpar.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Narkon wrote:
    Time will tell, but I am not too impressed with CM. The problem is that the abilities don't seem to complement each other. Black gives to the enemies a Strike tile, but 53 Strength tiles are unimportant in the current meta with most new characters having high health. This means it does nothing to help trigger the yellow. Additionally, because black is her best ability you have to maximize the number of times she uses it, so 5 in black is almost a necessity and 5 yellow gives 3 black AP which is very useful. However, 5 in yellow gives more red than black AP and in a 3/5/5 build her red is very, very bad, and since her red is cheap the AI will use it all the time. She is one of those rare cases where a higher cost (for red - like 10 AP) would actually make her better overall.

That being said, her yellow is unlikely to trigger on defense. People will leave her last, hit her with 2-3 heavy abilities and kill her outright. Even on offense (and with Prologue healing removed) I don't think you want her to take more than 2 ability hits per match, unless you are near the end of a push and you don't care about healing packs. Since red is a high value color and 90% of the time you want to match it yourself, all you have to do is deny black and if you need black for one of your abilities then this not even a problem. As an enemy, she will probably use her red 1-2 times which is good for you considering other red abilities hurt much more, so she will be doing you a favor.

Summary: Meh abilities for another character who is saved (again) by her high health.
    It seems high health is the dev answer to the very strong character of the first generation (Pun, Patch, CMags). They have probably decided to avoid strong nerfs and to nerf the older heroes by making their abilities almost too weak for the current meta. Too bad because it makes the games longer and boring.

I'm curious though how the AI will play her if you pair her with Human Torch. Sure Marvel's red is less, but Torch's is 8. But how many times will you have only 7 AP vs. 8 or 9? If the AI gets standard red tile matches then you would have 9 red, assuming the AI programing is smart enough I do beleive it would utilize the highest damaging skill first, thus it may cast Fireball. The same could be true for Psylocke as well, especially if you paired Daken in the mix, biggest problem with that is then you have Psylocke's black being used over Marvel's. I'd be willing to gamble that when you get 8AP or more it will cast the most damaging.

In short I think a guarenteed pairing with Marvel is Thor. She will tank both red and yellow for Thor, and if you get more than 7 AP I think the AI will cast Mjolnir's Might over Psionic which will further create yellow helping to speed up Lightning Strike. If you want the rainbow you need a blue/purple user. At this point I beleive that's only C.Mags, who will be spamming Magnetized Projectile like crazy if used. I would probably go with Daken, he has an active blue, could tank green keeping Thor fully protected, and he'll get crazy strike tiles.
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thor is my first thought too, but it'll be a really long time before cap marvel is covered enough to actually tank for him. And TBH, even if he is still exposed on green, that should be plenty to keep him safe for most play sessions.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    QMAtjVY.png