*** Captain Marvel (Modern) ***

Comments

• ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    For the people that think her Yellow is not going to trigger, remember that opponent AoE attacks do happen at times, especially after an unlucky cascade.

While I think Human Torch is a better pairing for her Red/Black generation, I'd like to try Daken/Psylocke/Marvel for fun.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Her yellow passive looks stupid (idea is fine, but the numbers is what makes it silly), taking 275 damage at lvl 40, how often does that happen unless it's a big hit from a power or critical tile match up. Then at max level 648 damage taken before it procs. Basically means she needs to be hit by a very big power or a critical tile match up before she generates any AP for either red or black.

But if it works like Hulk's anger by generating multiple times when she takes very big hits, then it may be worth putting points in right now. But from the way it's worded I don't think it will proc multiple times if say she was hit by Thor's call the storm. There's not much that hits that high on a standard tile match up which for me means that this ability may be used even less than 5% of the time if at all.

Her most useful ability for me has to be her red by far. There's nothing more annoying than having to remove all of Bullseye's protect tiles that are scattered everywhere

What special attack does less than 648 damage? Ennemy has strike tiles, or attack tiles, no problem here is 5 red AP and 3 black. A 648 attack can put you over the top for Hypersonic Punch 2504 dmg 2 turn stun and pick your favorite red? 5 in yellow is a must as a passive ability as on the 3* level 648 damage is not that much and the AP generated gives you a huge counter attack.
  • The damage needed to trigger isn't really that much more than 5% of Hulk's health, and at any rate there's virtually no special attack at level 166 that does less damage than that. It won't trigger on regular matches without a lot of strike tiles but unlike Anger, you can't stop this ability by just killing Captain Marvel since whoever else is still alive still can use the AP. This also means AE attacks now have a significant drawback. Whereas against Hulk you can hit the team with an AE and then attempt to get rid of the Anger tile, there's no such option here. The Punisher is likely most affected by this since Molotov will trigger it. Power of Attorney will also trigger it, and of course anything bigger will always trigger it too. Since AE attacks are kind of overpowered in general, this gives you a viable defense against them at the 3* level. It's going to be pretty hilarious if Captain Marvel somehow survived a Sacrifice + World Rupture combo.
  • Did they give a release date for Captain Marvel? We know it will probably be the next PvE event but did they list that start time? Didn't see anything at the top of the Events Discussions. Just news of Season 4's start time with Fresh Cut.
  • fsentell wrote:
    Did they give a release date for Captain Marvel? We know it will probably be the next PvE event but did they list that start time? Didn't see anything at the top of the Events Discussions. Just news of Season 4's start time with Fresh Cut.
    Tomorrow because she will be the main prize for the iso event.
  • MikeyMan wrote:
    fsentell wrote:
    Did they give a release date for Captain Marvel? We know it will probably be the next PvE event but did they list that start time? Didn't see anything at the top of the Events Discussions. Just news of Season 4's start time with Fresh Cut.

Thanks MikeyMan. You wouldn't happen to know if that picture of Captain Marvel floating around is actually artwork in game or just something from the internet?
  • Nemek
    Nemek Posts: 1,511
    fsentell wrote:
    MikeyMan wrote:
    fsentell wrote:

Thanks MikeyMan. You wouldn't happen to know if that picture of Captain Marvel floating around is actually artwork in game or just something from the internet?

The devs sent out that picture in an e-mail hyping up her release, so it's assumed to be in-game artwork.
  • Nemek wrote:
    fsentell wrote:
    MikeyMan wrote:
    fsentell wrote:

The devs sent out that picture in an e-mail hyping up her release, so it's assumed to be in-game artwork.

I thought it might be in game artwork because it looks like a similar pose to one of Sentry's moves. The red power I believe. Thanks Nemek.
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Baltias wrote:
    It seems 5 black is a must for a cheap stun and a somewhat useful black ability.

On defense, 5 yellow seems a no brainer cos people tends to hit harder. I can see the AI will use red regardless how many protect tiles are out there.

On offense though, the only time 5 red is useful is when fighting falcon or bullseye. 3* spidie caps at 4 protect tiles. And I doubt Cap will be able to put more than 3 protect tiles at one time, given most people build him as 3/5/5.

For red, it's either 3 or 5 covers, 4 is just meh~~
    Same for black.

So the viable builds are either 5/5/3 or 3/5/5 imho.

For red it's either 3 or 4, never 5. 5 red is terrible, why would you give up extra black dmg or more free AP for being able to destroy all protect tiles when there may never be any or more than 3. The strongest builds are going to be 4/5/4 or 3/5/5. And the difference in these two is how much you value red and black. If you think you will be using red alot then I would go 4/5/4, you get the max dmg from red and full AP from yellow, black will be slower but still powerful. going 3/5/5 says I have another decent red user and/or I'm okay with low dmg red because I feel having less dmg in red is worth gaing 3black AP to speed up my black. Never ever ever put 5 in red, ever. Unless all you ever play against are Falcon's and Bullseyes you will never see more than 3 protect tiles out at once. And even if there was, Marvel will get red back really quick to destroy 3 more again.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Phaserhawk wrote:
    Baltias wrote:
    It seems 5 black is a must for a cheap stun and a somewhat useful black ability.

On defense, 5 yellow seems a no brainer cos people tends to hit harder. I can see the AI will use red regardless how many protect tiles are out there.

On offense though, the only time 5 red is useful is when fighting falcon or bullseye. 3* spidie caps at 4 protect tiles. And I doubt Cap will be able to put more than 3 protect tiles at one time, given most people build him as 3/5/5.

For red, it's either 3 or 5 covers, 4 is just meh~~
    Same for black.

So the viable builds are either 5/5/3 or 3/5/5 imho.

For red it's either 3 or 4, never 5. 5 red is terrible, why would you give up extra black dmg or more free AP for being able to destroy all protect tiles when there may never be any or more than 3. The strongest builds are going to be 4/5/4 or 3/5/5. And the difference in these two is how much you value red and black. If you think you will be using red alot then I would go 4/5/4, you get the max dmg from red and full AP from yellow, black will be slower but still powerful. going 3/5/5 says I have another decent red user and/or I'm okay with low dmg red because I feel having less dmg in red is worth gaing 3black AP to speed up my black. Never ever ever put 5 in red, ever. Unless all you ever play against are Falcon's and Bullseyes you will never see more than 3 protect tiles out at once. And even if there was, Marvel will get red back really quick to destroy 3 more again.

I think you will always have a better red option than Captain Marvel's. In PVP you will need a green powerhouse and every green powerhouse has a red ability that would be better. 3,5,5 is the best build. Black does more damage and stuns and 5 in yellow is the only way to feed black.
  • OnesOwnGrief
    OnesOwnGrief Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    That yellow looks pretty good in all honesty. That's rounded to roughly 8% of her health to trigger. That's almost every skill in the game for 3* that does damage that could trigger it.
  • DD-The-Mighty
    DD-The-Mighty Posts: 350 Mover and Shaker
    That yellow looks pretty good in all honesty. That's rounded to roughly 8% of her health to trigger. That's almost every skill in the game for 3* that does damage that could trigger it.
    agreed. problem is, much like falcon her moves synergise off of one another so shes going to need all three of her abilities (or at least red and yellow) to be functional. so its gonna be a while before most players are going to have real fun with her. I wish they would let your characters start 1/1/1... icon_e_sad.gif
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    Just realized that she's built wrong. She's listed as Red/Black/Yellow, but the way her tile strength plays she's actually

Red/Yellow/Black. This changes things in terms of who she tanks for.

Red: Obviously if you put her in primary she will tank all red.

Yellow: She will tank for IM40, Sentry, Thor, Wolvie

Black: She will tank for Hulk, Hood, Mohawk, Psylocke, and Black Panther.

While this doesnt change a whole lot, she wasn't able to tank for Thor before, so this is a nice change. However she can't tank for Human Torch, Daken however, having her tank for Thor is nice, as you can match yellow, get red for dmg, use Thor's Mjolni'r Might to create more yellow to match. She could accelerate Thor in the same way Hood does.

Current list of messed up tile matches and characters.
    Daken--In reality he should be purple 79, black 70, blue 61 but is 79g/70b/61p
    C.Mags is 79u/70r/61y should be 79u/70r/61p
    BWGS is 79p/70u/61b should be 79g/70r/61p
    Spidey is 79y/61u/70p should be 79y/70u/61p
    She Hulk is 79u/61g/70r should be 79u/70g/61r

Also Hawkeye Modern is messed up, as well as Venom

Mags and BWGS are most messed up. The others just are more confusing then anything else since it makes it harder to figure out who will tank what. In theory Spidey shoudl be Yellow/Purple/Blue and She-Hulk Blue/Red/Green. If She-Hulk wasn't so new I would chalk this up to old vs. new but both She-Hulk and Marvel are very new, it's odd they would do this and not shift their colors.
  • Captain Marvel is the first new character in a long time that doesn't have her strongest color match the order of her abilities, not counting characters whose abilities didn't even match their strong colors. There are far too many characters that follow this pattern to be a coincidence, but I wonder why we randomly have deviation from this pattern which makes it much harder to figure out who will have what color at a glance.
  • Time will tell, but I am not too impressed with CM. The problem is that the abilities don't seem to complement each other. Black gives to the enemies a Strike tile, but 53 Strength tiles are unimportant in the current meta with most new characters having high health. This means it does nothing to help trigger the yellow. Additionally, because black is her best ability you have to maximize the number of times she uses it, so 5 in black is almost a necessity and 5 yellow gives 3 black AP which is very useful. However, 5 in yellow gives more red than black AP and in a 3/5/5 build her red is very, very bad, and since her red is cheap the AI will use it all the time. She is one of those rare cases where a higher cost (for red - like 10 AP) would actually make her better overall.

That being said, her yellow is unlikely to trigger on defense. People will leave her last, hit her with 2-3 heavy abilities and kill her outright. Even on offense (and with Prologue healing removed) I don't think you want her to take more than 2 ability hits per match, unless you are near the end of a push and you don't care about healing packs. Since red is a high value color and 90% of the time you want to match it yourself, all you have to do is deny black and if you need black for one of your abilities then this not even a problem. As an enemy, she will probably use her red 1-2 times which is good for you considering other red abilities hurt much more, so she will be doing you a favor.

Summary: Meh abilities for another character who is saved (again) by her high health.
    It seems high health is the dev answer to the very strong character of the first generation (Pun, Patch, CMags). They have probably decided to avoid strong nerfs and to nerf the older heroes by making their abilities almost too weak for the current meta. Too bad because it makes the games longer and boring.
  • 7zVumg4.jpg?1

There, it took me five minutes to find a cover without bar codes or promotional schmaltz on it. No need to thank me. Just doing your job for you.

Anyway, you can go back Hearthstone now. Naxxramas expansion, huh? Sounds pretty cool.
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Now if only we could get better than "Archie Comics" quality in the cover.
  • Clintman wrote:
    Now if only we could get better than "Archie Comics" quality in the cover.

Betty and Veronica have both had better days than poor Carol is having on that cover. Poor, poor Carol.
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    While I don't like the actual comic cover, I was actually elated that they didn't just reskin moonstone. It seems that she would have her own animations and all.

And the military uniform gives Carol a certain charm to it.

In short, I like it.
  • She has the look of someone who is about to do a full-cavity search - for fun.