Webslinger - 20-22.06 - Season III

1234568»

Comments

• kensterr
    kensterr Posts: 1,277 Chairperson of the Boards
    at least the spelling is correct and not a typo with the letter H instead. icon_e_smile.gif
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    laoahpeh wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    I was dreading that you were going to jump both my wife and me...

that sounded... wrong...

Or very, very right... eyebrows.gif
  • HairyDave wrote:
    laoahpeh wrote:
    Bowgentle wrote:
    I was dreading that you were going to jump both my wife and me...

that sounded... wrong...

Or very, very right... eyebrows.gif
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rsa7t6AT1ps&feature=kp
  • After reading some of the above posts I must've gotten a really lazy bracket. Due to the ending time of the event, I shielded with 904 points with about 6 hours to go, in 1st place. Just after I shielded, someone passed me and shielded just ahead of me with 906 points. I then scored 2 defensive wins in 2 minutes to push me to 936 points and back to 1st place, but still with just under 6 hours to go. I went to bed expecting to finish maybe top 10 somewhere, but I ended up finishing in 1st, with pretty much no movement from the entire top 10 (who were all shielded when I went to bed). I expected someone to make a push while I was asleep, but I guess the entire top 10 of my bracket were just happy to stay where they were. Suits me though, not won a PvP for a few weeks so it's nice to get back to winning ways.

Funny old game though. In the Storm tourney I scored 1111 and only finished 8th, battling to right near the end. Here I shield with 6 hours to go with 936 points and end up winning. Bizarre!
  • Spoit
    Spoit Posts: 3,441 Chairperson of the Boards
    Spoit wrote:
    Also, not only are retaliations bugged by matching you with defensive wins, apparently retreating still puts your defensive team in now. I retreat tanked to push one of my alliance members out of the no-node MMR buckets, but in the couple minutes it took to do another fight, I lost 400 points, and even an hour later I'm still getting random hits from random 2* teams

Yeah, you gave me a def win as well (+5 I think) and it put you in my queue for a thank you retaliation. I did go after your loaner spidey/fury/iw team at the last minute just to see what points it would give. Hope that 1 point loss didn't hurt you. icon_lol.gif
    wait.....what? I don't think I ever used fury while tanking in this event, since i bought extra slots to rotate 1*s to tank. And I certainly didn't get as far as IW. Much less both of them together
  • DaveyPitch wrote:
    After reading some of the above posts I must've gotten a really lazy bracket. Due to the ending time of the event, I shielded with 904 points with about 6 hours to go, in 1st place. Just after I shielded, someone passed me and shielded just ahead of me with 906 points. I then scored 2 defensive wins in 2 minutes to push me to 936 points and back to 1st place, but still with just under 6 hours to go. I went to bed expecting to finish maybe top 10 somewhere, but I ended up finishing in 1st, with pretty much no movement from the entire top 10 (who were all shielded when I went to bed). I expected someone to make a push while I was asleep, but I guess the entire top 10 of my bracket were just happy to stay where they were. Suits me though, not won a PvP for a few weeks so it's nice to get back to winning ways.

Funny old game though. In the Storm tourney I scored 1111 and only finished 8th, battling to right near the end. Here I shield with 6 hours to go with 936 points and end up winning. Bizarre!

I was the person who passed you and shielded on 906 icon_e_smile.gif . When I shielded for the night on 906 I was also expecting to fall a lot and was just hoping to get lucky and stay in the top 10 but when I checked this morning and saw I finished 2nd I was really surprised. Usually there are a few late surges from people that push up to around 1,000+ but I guess we got the bracket full of people not willing to break shield and have a late run.

Congrats on getting the IW, although I am a little disheartened that you beat me with two defensive victories! I suppose it would have been worse for you had I finished top by 2 points especially shielding a few minutes after you did.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is this where we post about 1st place finishes in this event icon_question.gif I finished 1st with 1103 and want a cookie! icon_lol.gif

Sorry, after finishing top 10 for as long as I can remember... Nice to finally snag a 1st place finish. Great job to everyone as well. icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • I was the person who passed you and shielded on 906 icon_e_smile.gif . When I shielded for the night on 906 I was also expecting to fall a lot and was just hoping to get lucky and stay in the top 10 but when I checked this morning and saw I finished 2nd I was really surprised. Usually there are a few late surges from people that push up to around 1,000+ but I guess we got the bracket full of people not willing to break shield and have a late run.

Congrats on getting the IW, although I am a little disheartened that you beat me with two defensive victories! I suppose it would have been worse for you had I finished top by 2 points especially shielding a few minutes after you did.

Yeah, I was shocked that no-one in the top 10 made a final surge. Not complaining though icon_e_smile.gif

If I was still only 2 points behind when I went to bed, I probably would've broke shields and made one more quick attack, so I'm grateful for those defensive victories, they saved me some HP icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Infrared
    Infrared Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    I unexpectedly got first in my bracket with 1201 points. Five minutes before the end, I was still over 50 points behind the leader. No way I could leapfrog in just one match, but I still wanted the 1000-iso progression reward.

It so happened that the leader was in my queue for just enough points to get me there, and I saw their shield was up so I went for the last minute push. When the match ended I was in first place, they had unshielded and lost almost a hundred points. I felt bad as I had not intended to snipe, but the result would have been the same without me since there must have been at least 2-3 others who also had the same match queued up.

Sorry, cleo mcdowell. I didn't think you would break shield at the end. Your team of MN.Mags + C.Storm was the easiest to beat in my queue.
  • HairyDave
    HairyDave Posts: 1,574
    Infrared wrote:
    Sorry, cleo mcdowell. I didn't think you would break shield at the end. Your team of MN.Mags + C.Storm was the easiest to beat in my queue.
    MNMags + CStorm and over 1100 points (I assume) is just asking for trouble.
  • Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards
    HairyDave wrote:
    Infrared wrote:
    MNMags + CStorm and over 1100 points (I assume) is just asking for trouble.
    That means that MNMags/CStorm team must have been at 1250 if Infrared was 50 behind at 1201.
    Getting greedy with that team is... stupid.
  • Heh, I entered this event last night before going to bed and was somewhat suprised to see 5hrs left on the clock instead of the 17hrs I expected to see (I somehow thought they might have given Europe a decent PvP finish for once). I was quite amazed how easy it was to grind from 0 to 840 points in a little over an hour even with my lv15 Spidey. Started my grind at midnight, finished at 01:15am, threw up a 8hr shield, went to sleep and finished 6th in my sub - HAPPY DAYS!
  • Learned that someone in my alliance finished 3rd in his bracket for this one. Meanwhile, I scored higher than him, and landed in 22nd in my bracket. Really could have used that black Human Torch too. Kinda frustrated about it.
  • Was able to get 4th with 953; #5 was 80 points back and #6 was almost 130 back. About 11:15, I thought "I can go to bed and probably get top 5, and get a bit more sleep, and probably not lose a anything important, or I can stay up and maybe push for #1." I chose sleep and have four HT covers and no regrets to show for it.
  • hex706f726368
    hex706f726368 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Spoit wrote:
    Spoit wrote:
    Also, not only are retaliations bugged by matching you with defensive wins, apparently retreating still puts your defensive team in now. I retreat tanked to push one of my alliance members out of the no-node MMR buckets, but in the couple minutes it took to do another fight, I lost 400 points, and even an hour later I'm still getting random hits from random 2* teams

Yeah, you gave me a def win as well (+5 I think) and it put you in my queue for a thank you retaliation. I did go after your loaner spidey/fury/iw team at the last minute just to see what points it would give. Hope that 1 point loss didn't hurt you. icon_lol.gif
    wait.....what? I don't think I ever used fury while tanking in this event, since i bought extra slots to rotate 1*s to tank. And I certainly didn't get as far as IW. Much less both of them together

wait, no that wasn't you, that was someone else. sorry, i did hit you in this pvp, but that was way earlier, sorry got confused there icon_e_confused.gif
  • HailMary
    HailMary Posts: 2,179
    Infrared wrote:
    I'm thinking cleo's 1100+ CStorm + MN Mags team was an insta-hit for basically everyone. Unshielding with it in the last few hours is simply unwise.
  • HailMary wrote:
    Infrared wrote:
    I'm thinking cleo's 1100+ CStorm + MN Mags team was an insta-hit for basically everyone. Unshielding with it in the last few hours is simply unwise.

I had cleo lined up for an easy few points but ended up needing it. The others I had queued ended up with substantially higher points by the time I got around to hitting them.
  • daveomite
    daveomite Posts: 1,331 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is this where we post about 1st place finishes in this event icon_question.gif I finished 1st with 1103 and want a cookie! icon_lol.gif

Sorry, after finishing top 10 for as long as I can remember... Nice to finally snag a 1st place finish. Great job to everyone as well. icon_e_biggrin.gif

congrats aces! Awesome run bud. I knew you could do it! Oh...I uh...really like that banner, lol
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    I know I said I wasn't going for the cover, but...

I started my first push with max Patch/max Magneto/90 Spidey. This was a bad team to run in this tourney because most opponents were running a low Spidey/max OBW team. OBW's Espionage would always trigger, so I could not gather enough AP for either MT/MF, much less TBTI. Since Spidey also laid down protect tiles, MP would barely tickle either one of them. Pretty soon, OBW would start her AR/AGD cycle, and Spidey would throw in a heal as well. Not good.

Decided to switch it up by replacing Patch with OBW. This went pretty well, going from 500ish to 900 with very few attacks, and finishing all battles close to full health. Unfortunately, once I got to 950, lots attacks started to roll in. I tried to keep up, but I ended up dropping to 750. I was ready to call it quits, but decided to give it another shot.

For my last push, I once again swapped out my third. This time I went with max Mags/135 Hood/90 Spidey. Now we're talking! Hood would steal enough red for me to spam MP and take out enemy OBWs. With her out of the way, I could easily match blue and pink. Once the board was starved, Hood would have enough for Twin Pistols, which allowed me to shake the board up AND refuel Mags at the same time. This team allowed me to get to 1100 in no time. I was tempted to push higher, since I had no attacks come in this time, but I choose to not be greedy, so I purchased a 3hr shield. (Spent way too much on full day shields in the last two tourneys)

I was surprised to get a few defensive wins after my shield went up. One was +8, the other might have been +15. It was from someone with 1050 points.

In the end I won Top 1 with a grand total of 1135. This was the most fun I've had in this game for quite a while. Felt pretty good trying out different team compositions and finding a wining combo. But I suppose I could have a different attitude if this was an End-of-Season 2 tourney and my score would have been barely enough for Top 10.