Darkveil (Darnell Wade) 4*

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,088 Chairperson of the Boards

@rainkingucd said:

@ThisisClemFandango said:
    Just to prove that children can't draw my 3 year old granddaughter brought me a picture from nursery, it was me standing next to a house and a tree.
    We were all the same size, I told her it was beyond poor and threw it in the bin.

Wow! A 3 year old is already drawing perspective and distance, with you closer to the observer with a tree in the middle distance? That is amazing work! You must be very proud!

My youngest is 14 and I think he would struggle to do better than this. He would probably have said something like "Alexa, draw me a picture of Dad, least effort possible".

So I think the 3 year old deserves way more props.

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 806 Critical Contributor

@DAZ0273 said:

@rainkingucd said:

Just to prove that children can't draw my 3 year old granddaughter brought me a picture from nursery, it was me standing next to a house and a tree.
    We were all the same size, I told her it was beyond poor and threw it in the bin.

Wow! A 3 year old is already drawing perspective and distance, with you closer to the observer with a tree in the middle distance? That is amazing work! You must be very proud!

My youngest is 14 and I think he would struggle to do better than this. He would probably have said something like "Alexa, draw me a picture of Dad, least effort possible".

So many problems with this
    How does Alexa know what you look like? Alexa can't draw as she has no hands
    I'm not one to criticise parenting but maybe break out a bit of 1950's dad to liven him up, it's fathers day soon get the kid sorted or punish him with adoption or something, he'll thank you in the end or never talk to you again.

Also there will be no props at any point in time, not then not now. Don't tell me you've spent the afternoon drawing me a picture and then show me that disgrace, trees aren't purple either.

This may have gone off topic so....spiderman amirite?!

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,386 Chairperson of the Boards

@DAZ0273 said:

@rainkingucd said:

I'm not one to criticise parenting but maybe break out a bit of 1950's dad to liven him up, it's fathers day soon get the kid sorted or punish him with adoption or something, he'll thank you in the end or never talk to you again.

Also there will be no props at any point in time, not then not now. Don't tell me you've spent the afternoon drawing me a picture and then show me that disgrace, trees aren't purple either.

Jacaranda Trees. She's clearly a budding young botanist

• ThisisClemFandango
    edited 13 June 2024, 17:41

@rainkingucd said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@rainkingucd said:

Jacaranda Trees. She's clearly a budding young botanist

+1
    Well played, I see you've dealt with my lunacy before

• DAZ0273

@DAZ0273 said:

@rainkingucd said:

I think you may have missed the "least effort possible" angle here. As far as he is concerned it is Alexa's problem now. The only possible way to engage his attention beyond that will be to beat him at Fortnite and quite frankly I would rather use Abigail Brand as my only boosted character for a month than play Fortnite. As for adoption - eh my wife is still fond but I guess I could put out some feelers. "One second hand kid, makes surprisingly good pizza rolls, knows how to ask Alexa very stupid things, likes to watch something called Skibidy Toilets. Free to a good home".

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,727 Chairperson of the Boards

This thread's direction says all one needs to know about how much Darkveil will contribute to your game.

It seems like a reasonably OK kit that won't really work against your efforts but also doesn't do much to improve them.

If you're a fan of the character it seems like a decent representation.

• ThisisClemFandango

Probably my bad
    But as a great man once said "I had my fun, and that's all that matters."

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,636 Chairperson of the Boards

@bluewolf said:
    This thread's direction says all one needs to know about how much Darkveil will contribute to your game.

It seems like a reasonably OK kit that won't really work against your efforts but also doesn't do much to improve them.

If you're a fan of the character it seems like a decent representation.

How did you figure this out?

I have at best a vague idea of what this character is supposed to be doing, based on several close readings of the 3,000 words of power descriptions.

I have no idea if Darkveil is trash or the best character in the game right now. I look forward to trying out the power set when championed but until then, my rating is ????/10.

• bluewolf
    edited 14 June 2024, 01:07

So.

The character gives yellow AP which is nice but usually is of the least value in game to get more of quickly.

They send away teammates who are taking dmg which is kinda good except then they can’t do dmg (although they do extra upon returning). I guess you could be strategic about it so you can save a character who is low on health. Also they send away enemies for 2-3 turns as an uncontrollable passive which draws out the match unless I guess you run with Kang.

Their dmg numbers are pretty minimal and largely tied to a repeater tile.

There’s also some healing and random ap tied to repeater tiles. Oh, and some specials are generated sometimes.

I see nothing that particularly speeds things up not overcomes/counters meta characters.

It reads like a mess of stuff thrown in a blender to me although all the away-ing is in character from my understanding. They are a support character with some novel combinations of abilities but nothing particularly compelling.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,636 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 14 June 2024, 12:35

@bluewolf said:
    So.

The character gives yellow AP which is nice but usually is of the least value in game to get more of quickly.

They send away teammates who are taking dmg which is kinda good except then they can’t do dmg (although they do extra upon returning). I guess you could be strategic about it so you can save a character who is low on health. Also they send away enemies for 2-3 turns as an uncontrollable passive which draws out the match unless I guess you run with Kang.

Their dmg numbers are pretty minimal and largely tied to a repeater tile.

There’s also some healing and random ap tied to repeater tiles. Oh, and some specials are generated sometimes.

I see nothing that particularly speeds things up not overcomes/counters meta characters.

It reads like a mess of stuff thrown in a blender to me although all the away-ing is in character from my understanding. They are a support character with some novel combinations of abilities but nothing particularly compelling.

That's about what I saw too, but I'm willing to give them some benefit of the doubt on these bizarre, complicated, super wordy characters now. I still feel bad about completely whiffing on High Evolutionary! Sometimes 3000 words of hodgepodge nonsense mysteriously turns into something when you put it together.

If not, eh, she's a 4*.

• DAZ0273

Is there an origin story for her? She is a mutant with a magic fan? If she is a mutant why does she need the fan to connect to dark force? Can she use other objects to open up portals? Also how does she create light in the world using Dark Force? Wouldn't that be creating dark in the world?

• DeNappa
    DeNappa Posts: 1,390 Chairperson of the Boards

@DAZ0273 said:
    Is there an origin story for her? She is a mutant with a magic fan? If she is a mutant why does she need the fan to connect to dark force? Can she use other objects to open up portals? Also how does she create light in the world using Dark Force? Wouldn't that be creating dark in the world?

The only thing a quick duckduckgo reveals is that he was 'snubbed' by his best friend on national TV in some kind of drag queen event, and then he discovered his mutant powers while sulking at home, and it gave him control over Darkforce energy to teleport himself and others.

• DAZ0273

@DeNappa said:

@DAZ0273 said:

The only thing a quick duckduckgo reveals is that he was 'snubbed' by his best friend on national TV in some kind of drag queen event, and then he discovered his mutant powers while sulking at home, and it gave him control over Darkforce energy to teleport himself and others.

Hmm. Well I'm not gonna lie, it isn't exactly up there with the greatest story ever told and I still can't work out what the point of the fan is. But that is still a better origin than your average Power Man & Iron Fist baddie which normally just involves them picking something up and then naming them selves after that very same thing.

• bluewolf

It’s not uncommon for darkforce users to have an item (Cloak, Shroud) that they use to access it. Also, Silver Samurai uses his sword with his mutant power. I’m not sure he can use that same ability with any other item.

So, a fan seems fine to me as far as using one’s mutant powers.

• rainkingucd
    rainkingucd Posts: 1,386 Chairperson of the Boards

There's a lot of "item to channel" with mutant powers if I recall correctly. I was also going to mention Silver Samurai as he comes to mind first.

And doesn't Havok's costume play a role in channelling the cosmic energies that power him?

Forge's powers are externally tied as he can't do anything with machines if machines don't exist.

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,229 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 14 June 2024, 12:49

The "I need this item to focus my powers" trope is nearly as common as the "You didn't really need the item, the power was inside you all along" trope.

• DAZ0273

Neither Shroud or Cloak are mutants though.

Silver Samurai doesn't need a sword to use his powers, his body creates a "Tachyon Field" that he can focus through objects (a bit like Gambit can charge up objects), the sword is just his choice as, well, a samurai.

Havok's costume used to monitor the build up of his cosmic radiation that his body is always absorbing. There is plenty of examples of Havok using his mutant powers without it.

Surely Forge's mutant power is "super invention" so if machines didn't exist, could he not just invent them?

The "I need this item to focus my powers" trope is nearly as common as the "You didn't really need the item, the power was inside you all along" trope.

This is true but being a mutant tends to invalidate it because the mutation not the o0bject is the source of the powers.

It is entirely possible that the fan is just a psychological prop to assist with opening the portals, I was just curious.

• slidecage
    slidecage Posts: 3,401 Chairperson of the Boards

Did this cover break anyone else game

Got free cover the entire game froze. Had to force close it to play again

Just another **** thing hogging a slot lol 😂

• S0kun
    S0kun ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 641 Critical Contributor

Updated her feeder flow chart to throw a little secondary shade at our other goddess, Storm (Ororo Munroe) 5*.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,189 Chairperson of the Boards

@slidecage said:
    Did this cover break anyone else game

Got free cover the entire game froze. Had to force close it to play again

Happened to me too and it's not the first time it's happened.

It happens whenever they create a new information pop-up that's never been displayed before. The game displays the pop-up before the game assets are fully loaded on your phone. Force closing is one way to fix it (causes the asset to be loaded again) but I've found another is to wait a couple of seconds then hit the 'back' button on your phone. For me on Android that reloads the page which then gives me close button.

KGB