mThor dillemma.

Options

Comments

• Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 720 Critical Contributor
    Options

That is why I brought it out. My perspective is not anybody's else. If I do not disscuss mine with Yours (plurar) who's gonna understand each other? Nobody has my roster and I have nobody's roster but mine. My problems isn't yours etc. The spending differ. The goals. Preferences and so many other things. Maybe I am wrong? Maybe I am not? And I can only found out by speaking aloud.

We all should care about sim and LR - it's rewards. Quite a few times that 2* cover from sim progress gave me a level up and ISO to champ someone. I don't have time for LR but I do it from time to time. It's iso and tokens and stuff. But on the other hand, let's not chase all the white rabbits.

• JoeHandle
    JoeHandle Posts: 196 Tile Toppler
    edited 11 April 2024, 04:58
    Options

@entrailbucket said:

@KGB said:

@DAZ0273 said:
    The worst thing about playing MPQ is waiting for your turn to happen. There is absolutely nothing more muscle twitchingly polarising than watching the enemy Jane (or other characters who delay the players action) explode cascade after cascade firing powers left right and centre and feeling like you are being pummelled without any way to respond. It doesn't happen all the time but when it does I can see how it triggers the rage switch.

So much this.

More than anything else I wish you could just turn off the AI turn entirely. So that right after your turn ends, the board just changed quickly (say 1 second delay tops) to show the updated board after the AI turn (regardless of how long it was) so that you could immediately move again. The delays when facing certain enemies (mindless ones, sentries, sentinels, attack tiles, mThor) are interminable. Being able to turn off the AI turn would help a lot.

And yes, I am aware of what that would do to the PvE race and shield hopping etc. But I don't care. The number of people that matters for is 1-2% of the players (top 10 in any event) and they'd adjust and just learn to twitch even faster.

KGB

I wouldn't mind this at all. I play really fast anyway (mostly out of force of habit at this point) and an instant AI turn would make me even faster. It'd hugely benefit players with more match-3 skill, which is exactly what the game should be rewarding at the high end.

Skillful players being able to snipe cupcakes or multi-snipe single-match hops would upset some folks, though. I'd tell them they should learn to play faster.

The game has gotten MUCH faster over the past 10.5yrs. Even faster should be welcome relief I would think. Sure some would bail out of the merry go'round, but that churn happens anyway. Anyone exiting is/was likely already just looking for a reason to do so.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,009 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@JoeHandle said:

@entrailbucket said:

@KGB said:

@DAZ0273 said:
    The worst thing about playing MPQ is waiting for your turn to happen. There is absolutely nothing more muscle twitchingly polarising than watching the enemy Jane (or other characters who delay the players action) explode cascade after cascade firing powers left right and centre and feeling like you are being pummelled without any way to respond. It doesn't happen all the time but when it does I can see how it triggers the rage switch.

So much this.

More than anything else I wish you could just turn off the AI turn entirely. So that right after your turn ends, the board just changed quickly (say 1 second delay tops) to show the updated board after the AI turn (regardless of how long it was) so that you could immediately move again. The delays when facing certain enemies (mindless ones, sentries, sentinels, attack tiles, mThor) are interminable. Being able to turn off the AI turn would help a lot.

And yes, I am aware of what that would do to the PvE race and shield hopping etc. But I don't care. The number of people that matters for is 1-2% of the players (top 10 in any event) and they'd adjust and just learn to twitch even faster.

KGB

I wouldn't mind this at all. I play really fast anyway (mostly out of force of habit at this point) and an instant AI turn would make me even faster. It'd hugely benefit players with more match-3 skill, which is exactly what the game should be rewarding at the high end.

Skillful players being able to snipe cupcakes or multi-snipe single-match hops would upset some folks, though. I'd tell them they should learn to play faster.

The game has gotten MUCH faster over the past 10.5yrs. Even faster should be welcome relief I would think. Sure some would bail out of the merry go'round, but that churn happens anyway. Anyokne exiting is/was likely already just looking for a reason to do so.

Some folks just don't like change, and the previous devs changed so slowly that they ended up cultivating a group of hardcores that want to play the same fights, at the same times, using the same characters, forever and ever.

I'm in favor of shaking things up to keep the game interesting.

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 671 Critical Contributor
    Options

I have read all of your comments, some well reasoned others bordering on confrontional.
    I sat here thinking how could I diffuse this situation? Is there something I could contribute to help?
    Then I remembered that life is short and we'll all be dead soon and none of this will matter.

• Nero
    Nero Posts: 31 Just Dropped In
    Options

Create a diversity of charachters with usefull kits, not garbage.
    For me it's not Mthor or others characters like that are "to good" but why are so many others charachters so insignifiants in the game. Rebalance them and refresh the game.

I'm not sure create a Omega red, or Mthor, make money on it and finally say "nerf" it is the best thing for people that give you money.

• entrailbucket
    Options

@Nero said:
    Create a diversity of charachters with usefull kits, not garbage.
    For me it's not Mthor or others characters like that are "to good" but why are so many others charachters so insignifiants in the game. Rebalance them and refresh the game.

I'm not sure create a Omega red, or Mthor, make money on it and finally say "nerf" it is the best thing for people that give you money.

If they made every character in the game as strong as m'Thor, isn't that the same thing as nerfing her? Isn't she the best now because she's better than everyone else?

I'd be fine with balance achieved in this way, it just seems like it'd be a ton of unnecessary work getting there -- you can either buff/redo 100+ characters or nerf/redo 3 or 4.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,444 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I'm not sure she is the best. She is very strong, but the best? Not so sure...probably not.
    She is easily dealt with and Col5 is arguably better than her 1v1.
    This isn't a 1v1 game though, but even in pairs she is easily dealt with.

I have a 335 Shaw and he shuts her down completely. Previously, using Col5 and OR shut her teams down as well.

She has no damage reduction, no healing, and no power scaling. By herself she is pretty mid, and if you remove her charged tiles (Chasm or Shaw) she has few benefits.

Compare her to the other nerfs...Chasm, Gambit, or Bishop and you realize she isn't in the same league.

• entrailbucket
    edited 9 April 2024, 22:07
    Options

@dianetics said:
    I'm not sure she is the best. She is very strong, but the best? Not so sure...probably not.

I have a 335 Shaw and he shuts her down completely. Previously, using Col5 and OR shut her teams down as well.

She has no damage reduction, no healing, and no power scaling. By herself she is pretty mid, and if you remove her charged tiles (Chasm or Shaw) she has few benefits.

Compare her to the other nerfs...Chasm, Gambit, or Bishop and you realize she isn't in the same league.

If she's not that good, then why are so many players using her? How many other characters can punch up 100+ levels?
    Why are so many players so upset about the mere suggestion of a nerf?

Edit: Actually...I'll leave this here, but forget it. I'm not getting baited into this nonsense again where I'm debating 18 people all making different contradictory arguments.

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,925 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 9 April 2024, 22:23
    Options

@dianetics said:

I’m with you. I don’t think she’s the best character either. But the argument isn’t about how hard she is to beat but how easily she punches up. I do think defense is a big part of ranking a character in this game and is why defensive nuisances like Chasm and Bishop got dealt with and offense only glass cannons like Thorkoye and Polaris have been seen as fine. But defensive annoyance isn’t the end all be all. Why she gets the angst of the vocal minority and not say Shang Chi, Okoye, or Kang who all also punch above their weight class is a whole other question.

• Zalasta
    Zalasta Posts: 272 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Part of the problem with relying on boosted characters is that we have weeks like this week with no interesting characters, and all of them have significant color overlap. I’ve been using non boosted characters all week.

• entrailbucket
    Options

If I opened PvP and found a wall of Kang, or Okoye, or Colossus, (or Heimdall, or Dr Strange, or Howard the Duck, or anyone else) I'd suggest they be nerfed too.

Everyone I see is using m'Thor every single week, for every single event, so she needs to get knocked down.

If someone replaces her as part of a wall, then they need to get knocked down too. There are way too many characters in this game to have the metagame be dominated by one character or team.

• Zalasta
    Options

I don’t mind seeing mThor in PvP often as I almost exclusively target those teams. They’re much faster to beat than most of the boosted teams. We just need to have a solid counter at all levels for players without a deep bench.

• Hellblazer666
    Hellblazer666 Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Options

Just do something about Mthor 's blue ability that is really annoying. That Blue Ability can go off like 5-6 times an a row. It's really bad on teams with Polaris and BRB

• entrailbucket
    Options

@Zalasta said:
    I don’t mind seeing mThor in PvP often as I almost exclusively target those teams. They’re much faster to beat than most of the boosted teams. We just need to have a solid counter at all levels for players without a deep bench.

If everyone decided to run a character that had 10HP and died to one hit, that'd be just as bad. I don't care how easy or hard anybody is to beat, I want to play the game to play the game, not to rack up easy points or wins. I want interesting matches against diverse teams.

The wall of m'Thors is just as bad as the wall of Chasms, or the wall of Gambits, or the wall of Okoyes, because they invalidate all the other characters.

• Zalasta
    Options

We must be seeing different teams due to our levels. I never see a wall of mThor teams. It might be only 1 in 6 or more teams with mThor. It’s far less frequent than it used to be. Then again, I also only play to 500 points.

• TheXMan
    TheXMan Posts: 152 Tile Toppler
    Options

I think others have mentioned but OR/Colossus already is showing up more and more in PvP. I would much rather play against mThor than that.

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,925 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Hellblazer666 said:
    Just do something about Mthor 's blue ability that is really annoying. That Blue Ability can go off like 5-6 times an a row. It's really bad on teams with Polaris and BRB

I think at most it can go off 4 times in a row and that’s pretty rare. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen it personally. You’ll get the beginning of the turn proc and then if she happens to fire her blue, red and yellow in the same turn, you’ll get it 3 more times (4 total). The AI doesn’t fire the same power more than once, so that should be the max, though I get it can feel like a lot more.

• Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 524 Critical Contributor
    edited 10 April 2024, 01:11
    Options

@TheXMan said:
    I think others have mentioned but OR/Colossus already is showing up more and more in PvP. I would much rather play against mThor than that.

Ditto. I'm routinely hitting an OR wall where he's paired with Chasm, Colossus, or iHulk.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,992 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Daredevil217 said:

@Hellblazer666 said:

I think at most it can go off 4 times in a row and that’s pretty rare. I don’t know that I’ve ever seen it personally. You’ll get the beginning of the turn proc and then if she happens to fire her blue, red and yellow in the same turn, you’ll get it 3 more times (4 total). The AI doesn’t fire the same power more than once, so that should be the max, though I get it can feel like a lot more.

Not if you are running her with BrB/Polaris when every one of her powers destroys a ton of protects which triggers tons of Blue/Green AP gain from BrB plus tons more protect tiles to keep the winfinite going.

KGB

• Hellblazer666
    Hellblazer666 Posts: 128 Tile Toppler
    Options

@KGB said:

@Daredevil217 said:

@Hellblazer666 said:

Not if you are running her with BrB/Polaris when every one of her powers destroys a ton of protects which triggers tons of Blue/Green AP gain from BrB plus tons more protect tiles to keep the winfinite going.

KGB

exactly I was dealing with that **** earlier today