Black King (Sebastian Shaw) 4*

Options

Comments

• Jinx
    Jinx Posts: 211 Tile Toppler
    Options

Best teammates for him? Seems like you would want to use characters who don’t need to fire powers in a lot of colors so he will have a pool for his purple to draw on. Could use some protection/healing for him would be nice. He’ll be a beast once he’s ascended like all the other match damage 4*s, but that’s going to take a long, long time.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,406 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

What I run depends on who Thor is paired with.
    Collosus Omega Red for some matches, Beta Ray Bill Polaris, Chasm Spiderman India, and some Kang/Evo Deathlok.
    I didn't run one exclusive team but it was generally the same thing.
    I just ran a few more matches and its basically the same.
    1st turn board blow up, then nothing. The giant cascades aren't happening and it allows me to take out her partners first.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,920 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Bzhai said:

@Mr_F said:
    IMO, he proves a simple thing: how busted mThor is. We already have counters for her but apparently - and may be wrong - that wasn't enough. I have tested him after I already has champed him and mThor just became a match-bot. And he is even better counter to Shang Chi than P5Collosus.

It was wise to release such strong counter to her as 4* as that is a perfect solution to a problem: how to release a counter without making countered character instantly obsolete. If he was 5* that would make mThor totally inreveleant but as a 4* he can be easily defeated in 5* land unless ascended - which will take some time to happen.

So I predict that before he will shift something in meta/mThor omnipresence, some long time will pass.

They had to make him a 4* and more accesible to the majority of the player base coz people with smaller rosters are having it toughest with undercovered mThor/polaris teams wrecking them.

Well, I feel dumb! That perfectly explains what they might be up to with him.

When I'm farming low point teams in PvP, I see tons and tons of low-level m'Thor/Polaris teams. That team must be really good for lower level players -- I bet they don't have access to good counters for it. Shaw can attack both characters in that team, so I bet he's meant as a targeted counter to it for lower level players.

He may or may not do something for us after he's ascended, but I bet he's meant to solve a current problem for newer/lower level rosters.

• dianetics
    Options

He neuters Wong and the Low Level AI support too. He is good against basically all tile boosters because nobody will boost past his reduction.

If he was a natural 5 he would be a meta counter, as he is he is a problem child.

• Falconfreak
    Falconfreak Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options

So what teams are good with Shaw in it? Love him in the comics as he has one of the coolest powers and love his classic look.

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,547 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Falconfreak said:
    So what teams are good with Shaw in it? Love him in the comics as he has one of the coolest powers and love his classic look.

Well, you want him to tank, so I would bring defensive characters to keep him alive or maybe crit tile generators to maximize his match damage. Karnak? Chavez? Maybe bring Moon Knight to punish opponents trying to stun Shaw.

• Pantera236
    Pantera236 Posts: 381 Mover and Shaker
    Options

@Borstock said:

@Falconfreak said:

Well, you want him to tank, so I would bring defensive characters to keep him alive or maybe crit tile generators to maximize his match damage. Karnak? Chavez? Maybe bring Moon Knight to punish opponents trying to stun Shaw.

Moonknight doesn't hit for trying to stun his allies.

• dianetics
    Options

@Pantera236 said:

A common pair is SheThor/RiRi and Moonknight/Shaw punishes both of them. It worked well for me in sim the two times I saw them together.

• Borstock
    Options

@Pantera236 said:

@Borstock said:

@Falconfreak said:

You're correct. I worded myself wrong. Since teams will bring stunners to Shaw fights, you would use Moon Knight and get him out front right before the AI plans to stun.

• Falconfreak
    Falconfreak Posts: 119 Tile Toppler
    Options

I just find it odd people are like "Shaw is amazing!" and yet we don't see any teams for him? Been using any charged tile creators for him but it feels like there is a synergy I'm missing.

• Borstock
    Options

@Falconfreak said:
    I just find it odd people are like "Shaw is amazing!" and yet we don't see any teams for him? Been using any charged tile creators for him but it feels like there is a synergy I'm missing.

You can't even favorite him yet.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,311 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 30 March 2024, 20:45
    Options

Saw a 275 Shaw in Sim. I didn’t note the team he was on. Skipped.

• entrailbucket
    Options

I don't think he really combos with anybody. He fits in a lot of teams. Let him tank, soak up hits, do match damage, counter m'Thor and the special tile guys.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,292 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited 31 March 2024, 00:04
    Options

@bluewolf said:

I mean this in the interest of curiosity and not questioning your MPQ ability: Curious why you skipped him if you didn't even notice who else he was with. Did you think he might take long to down?

• entrailbucket
    Options

I don't think he's terribly dangerous for most of us as a 4*. When ascended, yes, for sure. If you're a mostly-4* player, then he could also be problematic if you only use certain teams.

• dianetics
    Options

@Falconfreak said:

Shaw is amazing at what he does, and he does something that nobody else does. Until there is another character that decharges tiles we wont have anyone to compare him to.
    Mine is 280 he sits behind for most of the match but then starts hitting heavy by the end of the match.
    You aren't going to see a lot of him yet, and maybe not for a while. I doubt a lot of people already have him champed. In his PvP I only saw a few champed Shaws, and very few people tried to hit me. Once people ascend him you may see him, but again probably not. He will be used to shutdown Thor and headhunt the Thor/Shang teams.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,311 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@LavaManLee said:

@bluewolf said:

I mean this in the interest of curiosity and not questioning your MPQ ability: Curious why you skipped him if you didn't even notice who else he was with. Did you think he might take long to down?

Honestly I was looking for a team I could use my flavor of the month team (OR, Kitty, Goose) against and he would have made it take longer.

• HuracanDolor
    HuracanDolor Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    Options

Dear developers,
    WHY ARE WE CREATING 4* characters to address 5* problems?
    1st Cosmo, now this guy. What are we doing here?

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,631 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

This very thread answers your question - JaneThor is a much bigger problem for smaller rosters than she is for 5* players so they created a counter for those players. If the big boys want Shaw at 5" level they will waste no time getting him ascended.

• Zalasta
    Zalasta Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Maybe they'll come out with a 5-star that also counters mThor. It would make sense to bring out the 4-star first. Not really holding out much hope though.