New Feature - Champions 2.0 (Live with R287)

Options

Comments

• Riguez
    Riguez Posts: 22 Just Dropped In
    Options

@Scofie said:

@Bowgentle said:

@Scofie said:
    Can I be the first to say "I love it"? So excited to ascend the whole roster! Roll on the next 10 years! 😆

You'll probably be the only one, too.

🤣 touché

Not alone at all... I am LOVING this!

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Interesting. This does weird things to farming since to an extent you have to make another version at some point, but I think you're probably better off combining max-champs since you get to "double dip" on the rewards. I.e. I have a 370 4* Miles and a 280 4* Miles - I can combine them now and get myself a 5* Miles at 452.5 (spider-man, instead of Carnage symbiote,) but if I hold off until I get my second Miles to 370, I get all the extras of leveling miles from 280 to 370 (including some Miles/Carnage covers,) then get my 5* Miles at 475 with all those attendant rewards.

Very interesting system. It's also going to take forever to get characters to 550, which is fine, really. I guess I'm rostering more 1*s for the fun of it...

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,972 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Once again, I'm really, really glad that I've been getting 20% more 4* covers for 8 years or whatever, instead of playing the "optimal" way.

I should have a bunch of new 550s Day 1!

• Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 723 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2023
    Options

I still remain to be convinced this is worth it for anything other than 1*s and maybe the odd 1 or 2 character from the lower tiers

1* s - cool gives something for these covers to do other than 100 ISO. Though it looks like a pain to manage in the later stages. It does mean as you ascend 1*s you can get some decent rewards in place of selling for ISO.

I don't need or want a 2* Wolv etc as a 3* or higher. I think it's likely better to stick with normal farming at 1:1 ratios, rather than the convoluted ascend process and diluted rewards return at 1:2 and 1:3 conversions

• Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,723 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Add in support changes and PVP will be unplayable for me, I'm not a huge fan anyway so it might be the final push to make me a pve only player.

I would only be interested in a few 4s ascending, the other tiers to 5 would take me far far longer to do than I can be bothered worrying about. Some people are going to mash those 4* dupes together and create some utterly game breaking teams that you have no chance of getting.

Then what happens, they nerf/re-balance a game breaking 4* that was previously a lot of fun or manageable in their designed tier. Again, add on supports and you are taking half a day to analyse your next pvp target.

• pino
    pino Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    Options

Entonces, mas maneras de gastar ISO y menos maneras de conseguirlo.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,189 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

There are so many 4* powers that only exist in that tier, I’m going to be so curious to see who “ascends” to the meta once some of these characters hit the streets. I do have some concerns about how many characters will ultimately need to be rostered if events are going to require specific ascension levels, but I’m massively curious who will be the first with a 550 Bagman

• allen_koholic
    allen_koholic Posts: 103 Tile Toppler
    Options

I’m going to assume that this is in no way retroactive.

• bbigler
    bbigler Posts: 2,115 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Question! Do you lose a roster slot when binding 2 characters into 1 ascended character? This is very important info.

• WilliamK1983
    WilliamK1983 Posts: 723 Critical Contributor
    Options

@LavaManLee said:
    This entire endeavour seems designed to illustrate the Law of Unintended Consequences. Especially the part about rebalancing when, and if, they see fit.

Let's take an example of Ares. He's a great 2 character that does damage but gives AP, AOE at a decent scale and a power that harms him but does solid damage to another character. He's a great 2 character for a new player.

Now, how will Ares work as a 5? Is it too much? Maybe they need to nerf Ares. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with him in 2 land. He's great. But to nerf the 5 with a 2 shell, they have to nerf the 2. Now the 2 land has lost a decent character only because he got too big for 5.

Now maybe Ares will be just fine. My point isn't Ares specifically, it's that there are never any calls to nerf a 1/2/3 because they do what they do and let a player advance. Make them a 5, and we might be asking for trouble but then they can't be changed without upsetting the original 1/2/3.

Excellent example. I have zero confidence that everything was thoroughly thought out about this and it's bound to cause more headaches than it will ultimately be worth.

• Venomous
    Venomous Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    Options

Honestly, as mentioned, I am going to love how much this will screw up the meta. All the 4 stars that countered 5 stars, are suddenly able to do so. And suddenly 4 stars that are completely broken, suddenly got stronger.

What will the meta look like? And will it change after every new wave of Ascensions?

• WhiteBomber
    WhiteBomber Posts: 120 Tile Toppler
    Options

Talk about a bold move. I... think I like it? Since it MIGHT open up more viable abilities at lower levels, but holy man, I don't think I personally will ever see a 4 star pushed to 5.

I am curious, how does this play out now that you've made 3star and 5 star variant characters with basically the same abilities? Please stop making them the same?

• Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Options

@mooken said:

@Blackstone said:

... If she can be convinced to spend a week opening tokens."

Use Quick Claim, close the app and reopen. You'll skip all the animations.

I think she's going to give me her phone and let me mess with it... Which could be fun honestly.

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,511 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I have a question - how will retroactive rewards be handled? For example, I have two 370 America Chavez. If I bind the two of them, that will get me a 475 America Chavez. Let's say down the line an actual 5* America Chavez is released -- will I get 6 retro covers (because my America Chavez is technically just 475 which has passed by those 6 covers on America Chavez,) or will I get 12 retro covers (since I could have theoretically gotten the two sets if I kept them separate?)

I have a feeling it's going to be the former, but woof, that's a non-trivial number of covers.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,305 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@IceIX said:
    Nope, these characters are built specifically on the back end to avoid this. If we need to nerf 2Ares4, we can do that without touching others.

Thanks. Appreciate the response.