New clue: Flight Risk...

1235»

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,072 Chairperson of the Boards

Hmm.

Genuine question:

So does that mean we cannot post images of say Mephisto as he is a depiction of a form of the Devil which would be religiously offensive to (some) Christians? Is Magik not problematic under several categories - a child kidnapped by a demon and corrupted? So Magik should be off limits?

I'm also not sure that Reed asking Sue to hoover quietly really meets the standard of "domestic violence" but OK.

• DAZ0273

Oh I got flagged? And for something not even connected with any of those rules! Ha ha, I thought it was a bit weird to get moderated days and days after posting CCA approved material (which was literally the publishing code that said for 40 years of Marvel: These images are FINE!) but now it makes sense coz of a different agenda that was deployed!

• dxanders
    dxanders Posts: 120 Tile Toppler

@DAZ0273 said:
    Oh I got flagged? And for something not even connected with any of those rules! Ha ha, I thought it was a bit weird to get moderated days and days after posting CCA approved material (which was literally the publishing code that said for 40 years of Marvel: These images are FINE!) but now it makes sense coz of a different agenda that was deployed!

I can't speak to the pictures in question and the removal in this thread, but... Considering the CCA was traditionally used to broadly censor the presence of queer characters and people of color in comic books, I'm not sure it's a great guide post for what's appropriate.

• DAZ0273

@dxanders said:

@DAZ0273 said:

I can't speak to the pictures in question and the removal in this thread, but... Considering the CCA was traditionally used to broadly censor the presence of queer characters and people of color in comic books, I'm not sure it's a great guide post for what's appropriate.

Well that is an entirely different argument and certainly not one I would support the CCA on. In fact I am not trying to say that I think the CCA was a good thing but it is true that it was the standard that comic book publishers followed for a very long time. Times have moved on and literally everything posted in this thread was used as an example of how sexist/mysogynistic/glorifying of the poor portrayal of women and black characters was - not in support of it.

I'm not particularly concerned that the comic book pages were removed - I also understand why I was flagged which might have had something to do with pages posted but DEFINITELY had something to do with something said - the post in question was left intact which I am glad to see is the case because THAT would have been draconian.

• dxanders

@DAZ0273 said:

@dxanders said:

@DAZ0273 said:

Well that is an entirely different argument and certainly not one I would support the CCA on. In fact I am not trying to say that I think the CCA was a good thing but it is true that it was the standard that comic book publishers followed for a very long time. Times have moved on and literally everything posted in this thread was used as an example of how sexist/mysogynistic/glorifying of the poor portrayal of women and black characters was - not in support of it.

I'm not particularly concerned that the comic book pages were removed - I also understand why I was flagged which might have had something to do with pages posted but DEFINITELY had something to do with something said - the post in question was left intact which I am glad to see is the case because THAT would have been draconian.

100% agree that everyone was dunking on the inherently outdated prejudices of those books, and that's great to see. I'm just saying a standard created as a response to the threat of government censorship isn't necessarily a great bar for appropriateness. That said, I think the risk of anything from that era actually offending anyone IS super low.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 5,607 Chairperson of the Boards

Absolutely anybody can flag any post for any reason or no reason at all -- try it! You can flag this post right here for abuse or spam!

People used to use it as a downvote button after the actual downvote button was removed. I think sometimes the mods will clear out the flag if they review a post and find it wasn't flag-worthy, but there are only two of them and they're volunteers.

• DAZ0273

@dxanders said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@dxanders said:

@DAZ0273 said:

100% agree that everyone was dunking on the inherently outdated prejudices of those books, and that's great to see. I'm just saying a standard created as a response to the threat of government censorship isn't necessarily a great bar for appropriateness. That said, I think the risk of anything from that era actually offending anyone IS super low.

No I agree. It is the old Star Wars argument - the original was a U rating in the UK and yet somebody gets an arm graphically cut off! All that proves is the inefficiency of the Film Censor ratings of the time and not whether or not severed arms by way of laser sword are a more acceptable method for the family!

• DAZ0273

@entrailbucket said:
    Absolutely anybody can flag any post for any reason or no reason at all -- try it! You can flag this post right here for abuse or spam!

People used to use it as a downvote button after the actual downvote button was removed. I think sometimes the mods will clear out the flag if they review a post and find it wasn't flag-worthy, but there are only two of them and they're volunteers.

Sure they can. I don't mind if the flag stays - I would rather have made the joke than pretended the joke wasn't true! ;)

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

Lol I found that flagged post.
    Some people really can't take the truth 🤣

• fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,962 Chairperson of the Boards

@DAZ0273 said:
    Hmm.

Genuine question:

So does that mean we cannot post images of say Mephisto as he is a depiction of a form of the Devil which would be religiously offensive to (some) Christians? Is Magik not problematic under several categories - a child kidnapped by a demon and corrupted? So Magik should be off limits?

I'm also not sure that Reed asking Sue to hoover quietly really meets the standard of "domestic violence" but OK.

A good rule of thumb for this issue is to ask yourself whether the image in question would be deemed appropriate to appear in the game. Does it fit into the established lore and iconography found in the game? If a player does find something problematic about the game's lore or depiction of characters, they are free to post here or contact Customer Service regarding their concern. There have been instances where iconography and wording have been changed because they were determined to be inappropriate.

• DAZ0273

@fight4thedream said:

@DAZ0273 said:
    Hmm.

Genuine question:

A good rule of thumb for this issue is to ask yourself whether the image in question would be deemed appropriate to appear in the game. Does it fit into the established lore and iconography found in the game? If a player does find something problematic about the game's lore or depiction of characters, they are free to post here or contact Customer Service regarding their concern. There have been instances where iconography and wording have been changed because they were determined to be inappropriate.

Thank you - that is genuinely excellent advice.

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards

What is Vulture (Armor Wars)? Is this from the comic or are we expecting Vulture to appear in the upcoming Armor Wars show?

• dxanders
    edited August 2023

@Punisher5784 said:

What is Vulture (Armor Wars)? Is this from the comic or are we expecting Vulture to appear in the upcoming Armor Wars show?

I'm guessing it's an MPQ original like horseman Omega red. The Armor wars show sounds like it's a way off. it would be cool to see some payoff for Michael Keaton's Vulture but I don't suspect BCS have some inside scoop here.