New clue: Flight Risk...

Comments

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,569 Chairperson of the Boards

@IrisRyu said:
    I personally wasn’t offended by RDJ in Tropic Thunder, but given the very, very long history of explicitly racist and offensive examples of blackface being performed under the guise of humor, I don’t find it surprising that some people would take offense regardless of the satirical intent.

Back on topic, I’m thinking the clue is for a 5* Vulture. There’s got to be some reason for that Archangel “rebalance”.

There's no real-world synergy with Vulture that I'm aware of, but some people on LINE seem to think it's going to be Vulture, and that would make the Archangel rework make sense. I was kind of hoping for another Alpha Flight member, particularly since it seems as if Marvel is re-launching the title...

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,845 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2023

@GrimSkald said:

@IrisRyu said:
    I personally wasn’t offended by RDJ in Tropic Thunder, but given the very, very long history of explicitly racist and offensive examples of blackface being performed under the guise of humor, I don’t find it surprising that some people would take offense regardless of the satirical intent.

Back on topic, I’m thinking the clue is for a 5* Vulture. There’s got to be some reason for that Archangel “rebalance”.

There's no real-world synergy with Vulture that I'm aware of, but some people on LINE seem to think it's going to be Vulture, and that would make the Archangel rework make sense. I was kind of hoping for another Alpha Flight member, particularly since it seems as if Marvel is re-launching the title...

We need the OG Vulture!

I imagine the 3* will be the old school version and 5* will be a Symbiote cause that's what they do

• bigjojo04
    bigjojo04 Posts: 411 Mover and Shaker

From what I remember of reading Amazing Spider-Man Vulture at one point became young again before having it taken away from him so the 5* could be the old version and the 3* could be the young version of him.

• TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 439 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2023

@bigjojo04 said:
    From what I remember of reading Amazing Spider-Man Vulture at one point became young again before having it taken away from him so the 5* could be the old version and the 3* could be the young version of him.

It would be great to see classic Vulture show up, though logically 'young' vulture should be the 5* as he's older than classic old Vulture and had absorption powers/tech.
    However, in the absence - I believe - of a canon symbiote version of Vulture, I guess the devs would go for the recent Savage Six costume for the 5* as the closest theme for a Spider-Man 2 game tie-in (Kraven is going to be hunting animal-themed heroes & villains).

• dxanders
    dxanders Posts: 120 Tile Toppler

Noir Vulture or bust.

• MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 969 Critical Contributor

@TheVulture said:
    However, in the absence - I believe - of a canon symbiote version of Vulture,

That just means it will be an MPQ Original character.

• Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 603 Critical Contributor

@ThisisClemFandango said:
    Love the thanos copter

@IrisRyu said:
    Abe Jenkins, the original Kirk Lazarus, is very problematic, indeed.

I can't figure out how people are offended by this. It is making fun of method actors and how ill conceived it can be. Rdj was amazing in this movie, no that doesn't make me or rdj racist.

I didn't take that comment as being offended by RDJ. I thought he was just acknowledging the Abe Jenkins situation with a more well known example of race swap. (I could be wrong, though)

Abe was problematic because they turned a white character black, so he could avoid incarceration... (Different kind of flight risk)...But his white girlfriend had an issue with the change, and he experienced other negative social interactions making it more problematic then anything in RDJs role.

It could be argued they were trying to highlight issues faced by people of color Abe never noticed until his white privilege card was revoked, I suppose, but that could have been addressed in less offensive ways.

With that said, I'd like to change my guess to...

Mr. Immortal.

He doesn't have the power of flight, but he does face the risk of being sent flying anytime a powerful character hits him... And I can't think of any trigger warnings that should accompany him.

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards

Isn’t the home release of Spider-verse set to drop? 3* Classic Vulture / 5* Renaissance Vulture.

Yes please!!

• IrisRyu
    IrisRyu Posts: 173 Tile Toppler

A bit more fuel for the 5* Vulture predictions…

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor

Good work.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,072 Chairperson of the Boards

The animation artwork for Vulture in Across the Spiderverse was sublime so I would echo @Daredevil217 there.

Maybe next time Thanos Copter.

• ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2023

Classic Vulture and Spider-Verse Vulture would be awesome.

Also 5* Peter Parker has two feeders, one of which currently being Vulture.

Edit: and 4* Vulture appears to have no 3* feeder.

• dxanders
    dxanders Posts: 120 Tile Toppler

@TheVulture said:

@bigjojo04 said:

It would be great to see classic Vulture show up, though logically 'young' vulture should be the 5* as he's older than classic old Vulture and had absorption powers/tech.
    However, in the absence - I believe - of a canon symbiote version of Vulture, I guess the devs would go for the recent Savage Six costume for the 5* as the closest theme for a Spider-Man 2 game tie-in (Kraven is going to be hunting animal-themed heroes & villains).

Harry Osborne with a Venom variant strikes me as a good way to close out the symbiote event and nod to the new PS5 game.

• GJSchaller
    GJSchaller Posts: 21 Just Dropped In

I got into Marvel in the late 80s, specifically West Coast Avengers, which covered the Tigra w/ two souls storyline, and the Mockingbird / Wild West Ghost Rider assault storyline. At the time, I was too young to truly get a grasp on what was going on. Now I'm looking back and... yeeeeesh.

I'll be happy with Monica Rambeau as Photon / Spectrum / Captain Marvel, given The Marvels is on the way. I'm not fond of facing off against 4* Vulture, but I'll begrudgingly accept a 3/5 of him.

As for @GrimSkald - Lunacon... there's a name I haven't heard in a long time...

• Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 603 Critical Contributor

@GJSchaller said:
    I got into Marvel in the late 80s, specifically West Coast Avengers, which covered the Tigra w/ two souls storyline, and the Mockingbird / Wild West Ghost Rider assault storyline. At the time, I was too young to truly get a grasp on what was going on. Now I'm looking back and... yeeeeesh.

I have those WC Avengers comics in a box upstairs. When I was younger I understood more than I should have due to some family situations... But it was therapeutic if I can admit that. Yes, it was a sensitive topic, but it helped getting through real life situations seeing characters who were brave and strong going through similar hardships.

Clint was a father figure to me... His super powers are literally hardwork and dedication, which allowed him to improve himself from the bad situation he was born into. No accidents, no millions, just focus and a refusal to stay down.

I cried when Bobbi was going through what she experienced in those pages, because I knew what was happening between the panels...I won't give details on my family and life, but it resonated.

Today, people would call that a trigger, but I had a different view of it. It gave me permission to examine real life situations, instead of pretending things weren't happening like so many people seemed to prefer.

And it saved me from suffering the same fate.

That story... And this is not an exaggeration ... Saved me from things we're not allowed to talk about anymore. I can't give details on how because it just wouldn't be appropriate here.

I can appreciate recognition of problematic themes in media, including comics, but I honestly can't group this particular story as problematic due to what it meant for me.

• fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,962 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2023

Mod note: Removed a number of off-topic posts. Please keep this thread on topic and remember the forum is meant to be a family friendly environment. We ask that you keep that in mind when posting images on the forum. Thank you.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,072 Chairperson of the Boards

@fight4thedream - Sorry but which images posted violated the family friendly part of the forum? Every single one was from an existing Marvel or DC comic book available at time of printing from a news stand or shop, all of whom were printed under the Comics Code Authority seal of approval and none of which had been altered in anyway. I know I can be guilty of taking things off topic but if contents of actual Marvel comic books are not going to be allowed I guess we had better know in advance as I doubt anybody was intending to breach forum rules, which seem a bit unclear in this case.

The comic book panel that was left featuring Tigra and Graviton is from the same issue of West Coast Avengers #13 as the one removed featuring Tigra and Graviton.

The panels from Uncanny X-Men #111 and Fantastic Four #281 were part of best selling runs and were presented as published. Here are the covers which you can clearly see carry the CCA seals:

The Fantastic Four panels with Sue and Reed all come from Stan Lee and Jack Kirby's legendary FF run. The All Star Squadron cover, which is definitely distasteful, was still published by DC under the Comic Code Authority seal and written by Roy Thomas, not exactly renowned for pushing the boundaries (although his Conan was a bit more adult).

I am not posting this as a complaint and I 100% accept that the moderation of the forums is by the house rules but if Marvel, DC and the CCA considered those comic books to be suitable for reading by "the 9 year old" comic book reader as published then I am a bit surprised they would violate the posting conditions here?

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor

@DAZ0273 said:
    Oh! I can't believe we have been so dumb with this clue when there is an obvious candidate!

Thanos Copter!

It's real:

• fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,962 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2023

@DAZ0273 said:
    @fight4thedream - Sorry but which images posted violated the family friendly part of the forum?

Images of sexual harassment, domestic violence, and sexual coercion are not acceptable on the forum.

Additionally, anything that could be considered racially, religiously, or sexually demeaning or insulting is also off-limits. (Please refer to rule 7)