God no...not Mandrill.

I wonder which face Bi-Beast eats with and what he uses the other face for

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2023

@DAZ0273 said:

@bigjojo04 said:

@Alfje17 said:
    As for dodgy characters, what about Marcus Immortus who manipulated Carol Danvers into giving birth to himself?!> @DAZ0273 said:

You and Tigra are right. I should be more understanding. Let's check back in on Tigra, I am sure everything is fine.

Or not I guess?

I don't see a problem with two consenting adults having some fun together, it's a lot better than say, Marcus Immortus who manipulated Carol Danvers into giving birth to himself!

I was wondering when some one was gonna bring this up. I know standards and such were different back in the 80’s than they are now, but I’m not sure how they were able to get away with publicizing that storyline in a major comic and try and sell that to fans.

We are joking around but all of this is problematic.

This got brought up on Jim Shooter's blog a few years back and there seemed to be a bit of buck passing around who wrote what. Shooter did say it was appalling and as he was EiC at the time then he should have nixed the storyline but that rings cold after the fact.

There are at least two other examples (of which I am not going to post the comic panels here) that show Marvel's very questionable judgment to issues over sexual violence towards female super heroes - the first is to Sharon Ventura/Ms Marvel in Captain America #330-331 where it is heavily implied there is some sort of serious sexual assault (and this is followed up in later issues of Fantastic Four) and Uncanny X-Men #235-236 the Genosha storyline also very heavily promotes that Rogue has also fallen to a similar fate. Wolverine who is in a similarly vulnerable position is of course not treated in such a manner.

I consider it to be an Editorial failing that all of these stories saw it to print intact as they were.

Edit: Actually it might be even worst what happened to Mockingbird in West Coast Avengers. Also it is pretty disappointing that Chris Claremont made such an issue about what happened to Carol Danvers in Avengers #200 in the subsequent Avengers Annual #10 that he then went and wrote that Rogue story which was of course hardly ever referred to ever again, like, y'know, it didn't need to happen in the first place.

Yeah, that's super fair. I have to say, I want to a Sci Fi Con back in the 90s (Lunacon, I forget the number,) and attended the most cringey panel that probably ever existed - it was a panel staffed by male writers about female characters (they had a panel staffed by female writers about male characters immediately before,) and it was basically Jack Chalker and Chris Claremont spending an hour boasting about how they created the "real, three dimensional female character" in their respective genres. None of the other writers could get a word in edgewise.

In retrospect the panel idea was terrible but those two made it so much worse...

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor

@DAZ0273 said:

I assume the bird people taught him good table manners and so at the dinner parties he'd inevitably be invited to he can make polite small talk with one mouth while the other deals with the salmon mousse or whatever.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,072 Chairperson of the Boards

@DrClever said:

@DAZ0273 said:

I assume the bird people taught him good table manners and so at the dinner parties he'd inevitably be invited to he can make polite small talk with one mouth while the other deals with the salmon mousse or whatever.

Perfection. Also I bet this makes him an incredible ventriloquist because he can genuinely claim that his mouth is not moving with clever use of a scarf.

If it isn't Bi-Beast then I may have to downvote on the Play Store.

• DAZ0273

@GrimSkald said:

@DAZ0273 said:

@bigjojo04 said:

@Alfje17 said:
    As for dodgy characters, what about Marcus Immortus who manipulated Carol Danvers into giving birth to himself?!> @DAZ0273 said:

You and Tigra are right. I should be more understanding. Let's check back in on Tigra, I am sure everything is fine.

Or not I guess?

I don't see a problem with two consenting adults having some fun together, it's a lot better than say, Marcus Immortus who manipulated Carol Danvers into giving birth to himself!

I was wondering when some one was gonna bring this up. I know standards and such were different back in the 80’s than they are now, but I’m not sure how they were able to get away with publicizing that storyline in a major comic and try and sell that to fans.

We are joking around but all of this is problematic.

This got brought up on Jim Shooter's blog a few years back and there seemed to be a bit of buck passing around who wrote what. Shooter did say it was appalling and as he was EiC at the time then he should have nixed the storyline but that rings cold after the fact.

There are at least two other examples (of which I am not going to post the comic panels here) that show Marvel's very questionable judgment to issues over sexual violence towards female super heroes - the first is to Sharon Ventura/Ms Marvel in Captain America #330-331 where it is heavily implied there is some sort of serious sexual assault (and this is followed up in later issues of Fantastic Four) and Uncanny X-Men #235-236 the Genosha storyline also very heavily promotes that Rogue has also fallen to a similar fate. Wolverine who is in a similarly vulnerable position is of course not treated in such a manner.

I consider it to be an Editorial failing that all of these stories saw it to print intact as they were.

Edit: Actually it might be even worst what happened to Mockingbird in West Coast Avengers. Also it is pretty disappointing that Chris Claremont made such an issue about what happened to Carol Danvers in Avengers #200 in the subsequent Avengers Annual #10 that he then went and wrote that Rogue story which was of course hardly ever referred to ever again, like, y'know, it didn't need to happen in the first place.

Yeah, that's super fair. I have to say, I want to a Sci Fi Con back in the 90s (Lunacon, I forget the number,) and attended the most cringey panel that probably ever existed - it was a panel staffed by male writers about female characters (they had a panel staffed by female writers about male characters immediately before,) and it was basically Jack Chalker and Chris Claremont spending an hour boasting about how they created the "real, three dimensional female character" in their respective genres. None of the other writers could get a word in edgewise.

In retrospect the panel idea was terrible but those two made it so much worse...

Then Chris dressed them in bondage gear and had them mind controlled. The Rogue thing really bugged me considering her powers - I wouldn't want any of my heroes to be in that situation but her specifically seemed a bit messed up.

Bi- Beast though! He would be blinding on Man Vs Food!

• DrClever

Or indeed Man As Food.

• DAZ0273

I guess if Bi-Beast was on a trans Atlantic plane there would be a risk he might eat all the peanuts on the flight. Because of the two mouths. I don't know why I needed to explain that? Unless Daredevil is reading this in which case - STOP IT Matt! Also how? I knew he wasn't really blind.

I am becoming more convinced about this. Bi-Beast. If it isn't I may consider shutting up for 1 whole day (no chance).

• MultipleMan98
    MultipleMan98 Posts: 62 Match Maker

When I made this thread I didn't expect it to go down this rabbit hole but while we're here the biggest flight risk I can think of is the mighty Fin Fang Foom

• DAZ0273

@MultipleMan98 said:
    When I made this thread I didn't expect it to go down this rabbit hole but while we're here the biggest flight risk I can think of is the mighty Fin Fang Foom

On the one hand we are sorry. On the other hand we are really sorry. By we I mean Daredevil but mostly Graviton.

• Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 603 Critical Contributor

@DAZ0273 said:

@MultipleMan98 said:

On the one hand we are sorry. On the other hand we are really sorry. By we I mean Daredevil but mostly Graviton.

Yeah... Not the direction I was expecting when I threw out Graviton as a guess.

I'd switch my guess to Mach 5 (Abe Jenkins) but that would bring in a whole new kind of problematic.

• SuperCarrot
    SuperCarrot Posts: 181 Tile Toppler

Considering Claremont, maybe there is a reason I can’t recall Mastermind showing up much outside of comics.

Anywho…maybe Kamikaze. He had a risky flight in X-cutioner’s song and Archangel got/is getting a rework.

• Bowgentle
    Bowgentle Posts: 7,926 Chairperson of the Boards

My god, society has come a long way.
    Even if it doesn't look like it most of the time.

• DAZ0273
    edited August 2023

@DrClever said:

@DAZ0273 said:
    It does raise the question as to why Superman has a machine for this very purpose though...

That particular feature seems less than necessary, but I guess if you are superman and get carried away in the throes of whatever, you might leave a friend in need of body remoulding.

This is a good point.

If you have ever watched the Super Friends TV Show then you know that he also has a very loose grip on the concept of Science. He thinks nothing about shoving the Moon out of its orbit to use it to deflect a Lex Luthor death ray and he rarely worries about putting it back whilst the earth dies screaming behind him so possibly even Superman doesn't know why he made that machine. It was just a Thursday and he had popped to the DIY store.

Which makes me think - Superman - he is definitely a flying risk! So it could be Hyperion!

• DrClever

Risk is a board game of strategic global domination, so we're getting 5* Helicarrier (and 3* Quinjet).

• DAZ0273

Considering the Helicarrier basically crashes/explodes/gets shot down/invaded by HYDRA every time it is in anything it doesn't tend to do much in the way of flight but that thing is a high risk menace to anybody in the general vicinity.

• DAZ0273

Oh! I can't believe we have been so dumb with this clue when there is an obvious candidate!

Thanos Copter!

• DrClever

OMG. I've never seen that.

Do you think he painted his name on the side himself?

• DAZ0273

I think he must have done. As far as I can tell it is basically just a helicopter with Thanos name on it but it is still one of the greatest things ever.

• Alfje17
    Alfje17 Posts: 3,746 Chairperson of the Boards

@DrClever said:
    OMG. I've never seen that.

Do you think he painted his name on the side himself?

It made a cameo in the Loki TV series, so it's in the MCU canon now!

• GrimSkald
    GrimSkald Posts: 2,569 Chairperson of the Boards

@DAZ0273 said:
    Oh! I can't believe we have been so dumb with this clue when there is an obvious candidate!

Thanos Copter!

That's the next Support... :)