***** Omega Red (Horseman of Pestilence) *****

Options

Comments

• Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,556 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Seph1roth5 said:
    I really like his powers and the fact that he's omega red. But I'm going to wait to unload the hoar until he's ready to leave, because I don't really care about the dinosaur or uhhh whoever else will be there with him lol, gwenom?

Colossus and Magneto was a decent store.

• Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Problem is I have colossus already champed, otherwise I would pour a lot in. I did throw maybe 150-200CP at it just cause. Got a couple OR (no black though!) and a couple magnetos. But I'll have a nice stockpile when he and the 2 guys after are in LL.

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Seph1roth5 said:
    Problem is I have colossus already champed, otherwise I would pour a lot in. I did throw maybe 150-200CP at it just cause. Got a couple OR (no black though!) and a couple magnetos. But I'll have a nice stockpile when he and the 2 guys after are in LL.

I pulled 6 OR.. no black.. it feels like Kang's release when I couldn't pull blue

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I got 2 Omega Red for 100CP and I know well enough to stop there.

• Borstock
    Options

@Seph1roth5 said:

I had him champed, too. I guess I'm in a different situation than you because I enjoy using Colossus in PvP. So, adding 30ish levels to Colossus in the process of champing OR was ok by me.

• DrClever
    DrClever Posts: 584 Critical Contributor
    Options

Yeah, Colossus is one of those that never feels like a bad choice.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@Borstock said:

@Seph1roth5 said:

I had him champed, too. I guess I'm in a different situation than you because I enjoy using Colossus in PvP. So, adding 30ish levels to Colossus in the process of champing OR was ok by me.

Colossus is definitely someone who always benefits from levels, so that part is an easy call in a vacuum. This is a solid release store now that magneto isnt absolute ****. Even so, +10 champ levels for colossus is not worth giving up a 5* champ for those who live closer to the edge in terms of rostering everyone as they release.

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,948 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Health and match damage matter, and they matter A LOT.

It makes sense, too -- think about how much it'd cost in AP (and how fragile a board state you'd have) to put out strike and protect tiles equivalent to Colossus's passive. You get all that value for free.

• Punisher5784
    Punisher5784 Posts: 3,837 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2023
    Options

@Vhailorx said:

@Borstock said:

@Seph1roth5 said:

Colossus is definitely someone who always benefits from levels, so that part is an easy call in a vacuum. This is a solid release store now that magneto isnt absolute ****. Even so, +10 champ levels for colossus is not worth giving up a 5* champ for those who live closer to the edge in terms of rostering everyone as they release.

I'll likely sound dumb asking this, but I have 5* Colossus covered, but not champed. Is he better when champed? I don't see much impact having him on my team, or when I fight against a covered one.

I understand everyone is better champed, but I usually see the potential in a fully covered 5* like MThor

• Borstock
    Options

@Punisher5784 said:

@Vhailorx said:

@Borstock said:

@Seph1roth5 said:

I'll likely sound dumb asking this, but I have 5* Colossus covered, but not champed. Is he better when champed? I don't see much impact having him on my team, or when I fight against a covered one.

The match dmg % increase doesn't change, but the baseline numbers go up with additional levels. So, you're starting from higher numbers.

Also, since he nullifies so much of the enemy's match dmg, it can be difficult to chew through a lot of health.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2023
    Options

@Punisher5784 said:

@Vhailorx said:

@Borstock said:

@Seph1roth5 said:

I understand everyone is better champed, but I usually see the potential in a fully covered 5* like MThor

What cover distribution do you have on him? At the proper 5/5/3 build he is pretty useful, even as a baby champ. His match damage boost of 126% means that he can 4-6k damage when matching his high colors (even unboosted), and he reduces all enemy match damage by 83%. That means that a level 450 colossus with ~82k health has an effective pool of ~482k health if you can avoid enemy powers/attack tiles (this applies to teammates too!).

And as borstock said, while his % abilities don't get stronger with more levels, his base health and match damage does, so he scales quite well.

Back on topic, has anyone figured out a better counter for OR than fosthor? Kitty can pretty quickly be overwhelmed by additional special tiles (especially in pve when he has goon companions), and his damage pretty quickly outstrips the aoe negation of quake or electro. I think knowing how to minimize healthpack consumption will be very useful when/if chasm gets knocked down a peg and OR becomes a premium defensive option.

• entrailbucket
    Options

Do you think he'll be a premium defensive option? He's guaranteed damage, for sure, but when he's not boosted I don't know if he'll really be a deterrent, except for the most healthpack-obsessed.

• DrClever
    Options

MThor's a character you'd quite plausibly want to play anyway so she's probably the best answer.

Electro plus Okoye plus HEvo or a mirror OR gives you healing and damage boosts.

I can see OR being a bit of a pain but not really a major hindrance as things stand.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

I haven't tried her but wont Scarlet Witch punish him too?

• DrClever
    Options

Yes, good call. She could also lay down black to help with matching his damage tile away.

• LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,295 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

SC/MT is quite good against him, especially if SC is tanking. His red gives him self heal and there are good odds MT destroys OR's CD in a turn or two.

• fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

As others have already pointed out, there are already good counters against him so I don't see him being much of a problem defensively unless godboosted, and even then high level Shang-Chi/Mighty Thor should still be able to keep him in check.

He needs a better booster character if you are looking for defensive viability.

With that said, if he does manage to put a significant dent into the Chasm/iHulk meta, it should ideally open the gates to some other team combos. Scarlet Witch, Electro and maybe even Kitty may see more play if he becomes a significant presence in PvP.

• entrailbucket
    Options

It's extremely difficult to predict this sort of thing, because it's based on so many factors beyond "is this guy any good?" but I'd be very surprised if Omega Red put any sort of dent in the Chasm wall.

The problem he has is the same problem every other Chasm counter has: Chasm easily beats him on offense. Until we get a guy that Chasm can't beat, I don't think he'll become less prevalent.

• Jimsta_rooney
    Jimsta_rooney Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Options

@Punisher5784 said:

@Vhailorx said:

@Borstock said:

@Seph1roth5 said:

Omg yes!
    The higher u have him the more you will love him

• Jimsta_rooney
    Jimsta_rooney Posts: 167 Tile Toppler
    Options

@entrailbucket said:
    Do you think he'll be a premium defensive option? He's guaranteed damage, for sure, but when he's not boosted I don't know if he'll really be a deterrent, except for the most healthpack-obsessed.

Hes not great on defence