Upcoming Character Rebalances: 3* Doctor Octopus, 4* Dazzler, 5* Magneto

Options

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:
    No, Magneto need to take his queue number. Hit-Monkey has been waiting for months.

What’s his bug again?

5* Kang is also still bugged in that he’s not getting AP when you match countdowns. Only when they expire or are destroyed by means other than a match.

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

His teamup has not been downing infinite revivival character for good since December 2022.

• Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

When sent airborne by other powers, magneto still pops opponent tile placements. Also, sometimes he’ll pop a tile that was there before he went airborne.

• HoundofShadow
    Options

I was happily flying until I got hit by She-Hulk's red passive. :D

• djperry1973
    djperry1973 Posts: 24 Just Dropped In
    Options

@HoundofShadow said:
    His teamup has not been downing infinite revivival character for good since December 2022.

Is this a bug? The team-up is triggering the power, not Hit-Monkey, and there are other team-ups that have character-specific effects that don’t trigger if the character isn’t present.

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@djperry1973 said:

@HoundofShadow said:

Is this a bug? The team-up is triggering the power, not Hit-Monkey, and there are other team-ups that have character-specific effects that don’t trigger if the character isn’t present.

Yes, it's been reported.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/87889/known-issue-hit-monkeys-team-up-monkey-business-not-keeping-enemies-downed#latest

• AlexR
    AlexR Posts: 427 Mover and Shaker
    edited April 2023
    Options

Okay, I'm finally getting around to looking at this.

Dazzler suffered from 3 main things: Her black is wayyyyyyyy too hyper specific and her red could not provide the requirements for her black from the get-go, plus was too expensive for tile generation in general.

The latter issue has improved, with her red being much more reasonable now-- her entire kit relies on there being friendly tiles, so her way to make friendly tiles should not be the most expensive part of her kit. Yay! It... still does not really work for her passive though. You need a revenge-passive to be active from turn 1-2 at most. So, she will still require help for that. Still, her red being cheaper is a good thing.

Her main problem remains intact, however, which is all the requirements on her black.

The point of a revenge passive is to be used vs immediatly threatening opponents. Empowering tiles on a revenge passive is entirely irrelevant, because a one-time strengthening tiles effect won't do much in the sort of situations you want to use a revenge passive.

She was originally released in the 4* Kitty/GRocket era where her revenge passive was tailored to the meta-- the meta team you needed to counter had special tiles to remove and partially-covered 5* Kitty needed to be incapacitated asap because 4* land had no ability to deal with her. Enter the revenge passives, Bishop, Dazzler, etc. You needed to team Dazzler with GRocket of course for instant tiles, but then you could revenge-stun Kitty (AND remove her tiles!) right off the bat. Specific, sure, but useful and made sense.

Problem: Many 4* counters vs threatening special teams (usually Grocket-based) were released after her that are just... better on all accounts, less finnicky to make work, more reliable, and don't require a second character to do their job: Sabretooth, Morbius, Gorr, even partially-covered Chasm.

That means Dazzler's passive is outclassed now at countering the things she's meant to counter.

She's definitely not unusable-- but IMO, the best way to use Dazzler these days is with Polaris. Dazzler now has a Polaris-starter on red, her AoE works very well with Polaris and becomes powerful boosted by strike tiles. Problem is, Polaris has SO MANY better partners than Dazzler, that Dazzler's not gonna be able to break into that niche. She's not really noteworthy for what she does with special tiles or Polaris. Her main selling point is her revenge passive, which as noted is difficult to work with.

What was needed for her black to become better was a change that made it less hyper specific super niche, not to add a random effect onto it when you do manage to proc it.

So while the red becoming cheaper and green hitting harder is appreciated, I don't think this moved the needle much here unfortunately.

Don't have a useable Mags, but I still intend to go test 3* Dr.Ock. I have slightly higher hopes for him tbh. Provided they fixed the bug where DrOck was procc'ing on all sorts of friendly tiles as well including friendly cds going off, lol.

• HoundofShadow
    edited April 2023
    Options

I'm sure there are players using iHulk in 4* land? Pop her with Valkyrie or R4G and you stun him on turn 1. She doesn't need to tank for her stun to trigger. Random attacks should trigger her stun as well. We are talking about a passive 4-turn stun here.

• AlexR
    Options

No, actually, there really aren't. Unless that changed in the literal 1 month I've been out of 4* land, undercovered iHulk in 4* land is simply not a thing. Mthor/Polaris is, Chasm sometimes, but not iHulk.

• HoundofShadow
    Options

She can be useful against big or boosted Juggernaut, or even Polaris etc. It all depends on the situation. I remember using Dazzler to counter one of the meta teams in 4* land. I can't remember which one. Kitty based?

• AlexR
    edited April 2023
    Options

You can definitely use her to counter Polaris, yes! I tried this when I tested her recently (pre-buff). You need to run Polaris/Dazzler vs enemy Polaris. It does work.

But... again, there's so many other Polaris counters now that are less finnicky, don't require you to tank or take damage. So while this worked, it's generally somewhat outclassed.

And if you're running her in pick-2 vs boosted Juggs, that means you have to run Dazzler/GRocket (Grocket to enable Dazzler's revenge stun) in pick-2 which kinda struggles with offensive capability tbh. Dazzler's only good damage ability is green and Grocket's actives aren't that great.

I remember using Dazzler to counter one of the meta teams in 4* land. I can't remember which one. Kitty based?

Yes. I mentioned this above. She released in the Kitty/Grocket era and that's where her passive actually was pretty good!: Stunning Kitty immediately and removing the tiles, because 4* land at the time had very little ability to deal with Kitty's buffing of GRocket's tiles.

• HoundofShadow
    Options

Nowadays in 4* land, there are 4* with highly boosted match damage. I can even find a use for her against Chasm/iHulk in Pick-3.

• AlexR
    Options

Telling me you can find a use for her in x situation is great, I like that! But the use case you describe for her would have been the exact same pre-rebalance. If you're using her vs Chasm/iHulk, you're not using her green/red which got buffed, and you're not using her to buff tiles like they added. I'm not even sure you're making use of the fact that her passive procs easier because 5* iHulk would have probably dented her enough either way. Same thing vs boosted Juggs or Polaris/MThor and the like we mentioned before. None of these rebalance changes are relevant to the use cases you're describing to me.
    No, you're using her to revenge stun. Of course, since that's her selling point. 100%, I agree with you.

Which was my point. That still remains the main reason to use her despite the drawbacks (like being shackled to outside help that provides turn1-2 tiles for her, otherwise she cannot actually use her revenge passive against oppressive threats like the above) and those drawbacks remain the same. The rebalance didn't help her in this regard at all, which is why I don't think it really did much for her.

• Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,025 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

While airborne Magneto does NOT destroy created charged tiles. I don’t know why I thought it would but just confirming.

• Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 597 Critical Contributor
    Options

@Tiger_Wong said:
    While airborne Magneto does NOT destroy created charged tiles. I don’t know why I thought it would but just confirming.

To be fair, he doesn't destroy anything at all after proccing a few times. It's liked he gets tired and says nevermind.

• MrDupaTM
    MrDupaTM Posts: 64 Match Maker
    Options

I played around with Magneto a lot and he’s sometimes very useful but overall he’s a bit mid.

He’s also bugged: sometimes he destroys a tile that was created prior to him going airborne (can’t complain) and other times his red just doesn’t get triggered at all. He’s also good at giving the enemy a lot of free ap.

He’s fairly ineffective against Chasm.

• mdreyer93
    mdreyer93 Posts: 144 Tile Toppler
    Options

@Scofie Has there been any update on when Magneto's bugs will be fixed? His yellow passive still isn't working and his red doesn't destroy webs or abyss (explicitly stated it would) not to mention charged or crits, which I think he should.

• ThisisClemFandango
    ThisisClemFandango Posts: 662 Critical Contributor
    Options

Add another to the still doesn't work pile

• Scofie
    Scofie GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,159 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

@mdreyer93 said:
    @Scofie Has there been any update on when Magneto's bugs will be fixed? His yellow passive still isn't working and his red doesn't destroy webs or abyss (explicitly stated it would) not to mention charged or crits, which I think he should.

I've not seen anything. @IceIX is this still in the process of being fixed?

• fractalvisions
    fractalvisions Posts: 306 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Don't forget the Dazzler and Dr. Ock bugs too!