What are your thoughts after more than one year of boosted 5* in PvPs?

Options
1235»

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,268 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I would guess that level gap is there deliberately to create a gulf between the tiers that is intended to make the 4* player feel aspirational about moving up, and the 5* player to feel rewarded for graduating out of the minors into the big leagues. I think the way y’all are choosing to play comes with the downside of  exposure to the higher tier by design. I could be wrong though.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,066 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I think your probably right. Very few people progress entirely through the 4* tier as we are doing. Most jump to the 5* tier as soon as they can.

To be honest, I'm probably going to have to make the leap to 5* land sooner rather than later as I'm almost finished the 4* tier with my top 10 characters.  I looked at my 5* roster again after posting last night and I can champ 28 5*s immediately (they'd be L450-460) and if I cashed in uncollected 5* shards from quests I'm guessing I could finish another 2 or 3 more.

It's just that once you do, all the 4* releases are essentially meaningless unless they are like America or Polaris and fit perfectly on 5* teams.

KGB
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Yeah; as a champ-em-all player with all but 5 of the vintage 5s champed, I wouldn't say that the entire 4* tier is as irrelevant as the 3* tier is, but if you have the right characters you can definitely do PVE with a 1-cover required and PVP with a loaner (offensively) without any real trouble. I have 6 max-champ 4*s now that I've chosen to hang on to because when their events come around, a max-champ (or highly champed) character will definitely continue to matter for survivability in PVP and it just takes way too long to re-grow them compared to the 2 and 3* tiers beneath them. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2022
    Options
    I would guess that level gap is there deliberately to create a gulf between the tiers that is intended to make the 4* player feel aspirational about moving up, and the 5* player to feel rewarded for graduating out of the minors into the big leagues. I think the way y’all are choosing to play comes with the downside of  exposure to the higher tier by design. I could be wrong though.

I have always felt that the decision to make the jump to 5*s so big was a strange one, especially the ~2x increase in match damage relative to total health, which totally changes the flow of the game compared to lower tiers.

I always presumed it was done to create a justification for the extreme levels of rng introduced with 5*s (no direct cover rewards, only a 5% drop rate on ultra rare tokens, and then later with direct cover buys with cp that could not be purchased directly with $).  And then (i assume) once buy clubs took off and mpq became wildly successful beyond all hopes and dreams, they were sort of trapped.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    Yeah I seem to recall somebody said back when they were launched that the intent of the 5* tier was that they’d be useful even at a single cover. So it feels likely to me that was a very intentional bit of design relative to the state of the game back then that maybe he or hasn’t scaled to the current roster depending on your viewpoint.
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 546 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Yeah I seem to recall somebody said back when they were launched that the intent of the 5* tier was that they’d be useful even at a single cover. So it feels likely to me that was a very intentional bit of design relative to the state of the game back then that maybe he or hasn’t scaled to the current roster depending on your viewpoint.
    I remember the 3-v-1 where you played as a Silver Surfer and took on Jean Grey, Hulkbuster, and Iceman. I replayed that node multiple times, and only lost when I let them win, which took a bit of effort. I also smile when I see 525 5* shards for sale since they were never going to sell 5* covers directly.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    I just champed Surfer this weekend. Haven’t used him yet because he has max-champ 4* health lol
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,493 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I remember the 3-v-1 where you played as a Silver Surfer and took on Jean Grey, Hulkbuster, and Iceman. I replayed that node multiple times, and only lost when I let them win, which took a bit of effort. I also smile when I see 525 5* shards for sale since they were never going to sell 5* covers directly.
    Yeah,  they did say that about 1-cover 5*.  Of course, then they nerf OML because of 1 cover yellow.  Man I really miss those try out nodes.  They were the best part of a 5* release.
  • 658_2
    658_2 Posts: 231 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Big fan of boosted 5s. Adds much needed variety to pvp. I do wish they’d shuffle the characters every cycle so the same characters aren’t boosted together all the time. That’s one of those low hanging QOL improvements that you’d think wouldn’t cause too much extra work for anyone
  • LucasRaven
    LucasRaven Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    Options
    658_2 said:
    Big fan of boosted 5s. Adds much needed variety to pvp. I do wish they’d shuffle the characters every cycle so the same characters aren’t boosted together all the time. That’s one of those low hanging QOL improvements that you’d think wouldn’t cause too much extra work for anyone
    Agreed. Another iceman/prof x5 week and I'll go nuts
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    Phumade said:
    Yeah,  they did say that about 1-cover 5*.  Of course, then they nerf OML because of 1 cover yellow.  Man I really miss those try out nodes.  They were the best part of a 5* release.

They certainly did say that about 5*s, but it wasn't really ever true except for a very few characters (mostly true healers like OML).  The boosted match damage was sometimes helpful, but it was mostly overshadowed by the pathetically weak powers, leaving 1-5 cover 5*s as useless as under-covered  characrers from the other tiers.
  • Vhailorx
    Options
    658_2 said:
    Alas, I think randomizing the boost list might be a fair bit more work than just having a fixed rotation (especially relative to how much money it brings in the door). It's another moving part and point of failure  that they have to monitor as part of themlove service.

• StanleyBurrell
    StanleyBurrell Posts: 143 Tile Toppler
    Options
    'Not the hugest fan but it’s not the worst thing either. Variety is nice but I wish it was mixed up a bit more.