What are your thoughts after more than one year of boosted 5* in PvPs?

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2022
    Most 550 players definitely don't care. Since majority of the 5* players are non-550 players, I'll ignore those 550 players.  :D  

I think the weakness of our mmr is lack of players and players not playing for high enough points. Currently, our opponents are determine by top 3-5 highest levelled characters, our current scores, our slice chosen and number of non-shielded players. If we have 100,000 active players playing pvps, I believe that players would be able to see the "appropriate" opponents  more frequently and would be able to climb more easily. As of now, mmr looks unfair to some. I'm not sure if throwing AI into pvps in higher level works. Theoretically, the dev could create 60,000 different teams for players to play against but it won't be called pvp anymore. It would be more like simulator pve.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    Right - SHIELD Sim is a bad example because nothing has changed there in years - once you are up to a certain point your are blocked by a wall of whatever the meta of choice in Pick 3 currently might be. It never REALLY alters! This is partly why I gave up bothering with SS, by the time you had slogged through it you normally had already champed the 4* anyway.

How is it a bad example?

It is exactly how PVP used to be before god boosts. A wall of the same teams past a certain point every single event. 

There will always be a meta, and people will always gravitate to it because it’s the best option. 

God boosts make the “best option” different every week, thus infusing variety week to week and people are using and seeing more of their roster overall. 

I remember losing weekly 4* boosts was the hardest thing about leaving 4* land and champing 5s. I’m so glad to have that variety back. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,088 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    Right - SHIELD Sim is a bad example because nothing has changed there in years - once you are up to a certain point your are blocked by a wall of whatever the meta of choice in Pick 3 currently might be. It never REALLY alters! This is partly why I gave up bothering with SS, by the time you had slogged through it you normally had already champed the 4* anyway.

How is it a bad example?

It is exactly how PVP used to be before god boosts. A wall of the same teams past a certain point every single event. 

There will always be a meta, and people will always gravitate to it because it’s the best option. 

God boosts make the “best option” different every week, thus infusing variety week to week and people are using and seeing more of their roster overall. 

I remember losing weekly 4* boosts was the hardest thing about leaving 4* land and champing 5s. I’m so glad to have that variety back. 

I think we are on the same page aren't we? I am saying that god boosts are a good thing and I am also saying that there is always a meta and that meta dominates in the absence of options! SHIELD Sim is exactly what PvP was like before it got 5* boosts.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    My roster: every 5* at least baby champed (except the 3 latest), one 550 but it’s Okoye and she’s irrelevant for PvP now except for boost week. Apoc is getting there (53ish).

I like the boosts. I actually called for them in a post I made a while ago. I like the variety of needing to find new team combinations, but I do think it would be better if (as someone else in this thread suggested) the combinations changed. So have a lottery every week where 5-6 5* get drawn at random to be that week’s boost list. Let RNGeezus take the wheel.

As for changing values-the game has to keep people chasing. Eventually the current top team of 550 Wanda/550 Colossus needs to have a strong counter/alternative or those players will grow bored and leave.

This is key for me as with even a single 550, I don’t get a lot of enemy variety. There are events where I will skip 50+ times only to be offered the same 3-5 opponents over and over (not teams-I mean the same 3-5 players). That to me is still current worst thing about PvP.
  • DAZ0273
    Unfortunately one of the only ways to improve the amount of players available is to either change or remove shields and let it be a bloodbath or herd players into playing at specific times somehow - maybe an incentive points bonus multiplier or points lost reducer if you play at certain times. I dunno. MMR can only work with what it has available and if a large majority of players are shielded it is either out of game co-ordination or scraping around with a target on your face.
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 587 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:
    Unfortunately one of the only ways to improve the amount of players available is to either change or remove shields and let it be a bloodbath or herd players into playing at specific times somehow - maybe an incentive points bonus multiplier or points lost reducer if you play at certain times. I dunno. MMR can only work with what it has available and if a large majority of players are shielded it is either out of game co-ordination or scraping around with a target on your face.
    Why not let players queue up those who are shielded? Naturally they'd also have to remove defensive win points, but I don't think that anyone plans on those anyway.
  • HoundofShadow
    I think it will lead to reduction of shield usage.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,495 Chairperson of the Boards
    Personally, I wish they would change the boost list on a per event basis.  And or spend some time curating the boost list.

Full disclosure,  I have a full roster and post hp, iso etc.

When the boost week is good for the pvp.  The event is alot of fun and engaging.  When the boost week is bad for the required synergy, then the matches are less fun than running an older meta, like shang/slaugh, hulkoye, Wanda/collossus.

So for me personally, running the boost week chars with good synergies or a 5* intro is a good fun event.
  • Ares76
    Ares76 Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    I wouldn't play this game anymore without 5* boosts introduces a year ago! Brings variety to PvP and made me chase all classic 5-stars till they were champed. It's great! 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,939 Chairperson of the Boards
    What if they had the boost list where the oldest rotates out and someone new rotates in each event. So a person gets 4 events boosted but with one new (and losing one) partner each event?

• HoundofShadow
    I think they can experiment with monthly rotating boost: no boost, single 5* boost, and 4 5* boost. 

Single 5* boost could bring out an interesting scenario. It could simulate pick-1 in new 4* release shield training nodem
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the best buffed 5* list is pretty much the current one. 2 old cĺassics buffed and 2 more moderns. That helps long vet players and more newer ones.
    And then, buffing together really bad characters like sometimes happens, causing that one of those 5*s sees some use. And the opposite, buffing all damage multipliers characters on the same week. 
    Another type of combination could be funny and interesting but it would help some players a lot and others nothing at all. 
    I.e this week kingping, loki, storm and Phoenix. The first 3 are not really characters for pvp, and the one I see the most is Phoenix after her rebalance. If you'd put in this week ronan instead of Phoenix, nobody would use the others 3.
  • DAZ0273
    Storm has actually saved the day in PvP for me in at least 4 battles this week - her black can be pretty good.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    Storm has actually saved the day in PvP for me in at least 4 battles this week - her black can be pretty good.

It's fine, if you have no other black outlet, but I really think it should have a higher damage cap, since it can't be spammed easily and is really only useful as an end-of-match finisher.  What I really like about Storm is her board control with yellow and green.

She is rarely good enough to justify bringing along relative to the meta, but when one has to use her it's definitely enjoyable
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,413 Chairperson of the Boards
    The challenge with boosted Storm is that her yellow/green don't really benefit from more levels.  She basically does the same at 450 as 550.  And agree the cap on her black hurts.  It's not nearly as useful as I would like it to be.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was running her on my early climb with un-boosted Sersi, and that team was very fun. I wish i had an active way to force down Sersi's CDs additional, but the board control and cascade potential was stellar.
  • HoundofShadow
    Agent Coulson can do that beautifully.

I think I made a winfinite team with Sersi + AC/Monica.

And Sersi+Storm can definitely create winfinite.
  • DAZ0273
    Agreed on the black cap hurting her. I also like her board manipulation. Mine isn't even champed but she did pretty well in a boost week that sucked for me.
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 631 Critical Contributor
    I just wish they'd shuffle the boosteds more.  I have a 550 Jessica Jones who's boost has been wasted each time because it has always taken place at the same time as boosted Wanda.
    I like that the boosted week makes me look at using more of the characters, but this point is spot on.
  • AlexR
    AlexR Posts: 453 Mover and Shaker
    Thinking about it more, even as a 4* player I don't think I mind the boosts themselves.
    Really, my only problem with it is that mmr finds it appropriate to show lots of 50k+ health opponents to a 4* player without their own 50k health 5*. But that's a mmr problem, not necessarily a problem with the 5* boosts themselves. Getting rid of the 5* boosts would solve this for 4* players, sure, but that may be throwing out the baby with the bath water.
    Mabye a slight mmr adjustment would help this? I absolutely don't mind still seeing those teams; I just wished mmr would prioritise showing me actual 4* teams or at least boosted 5* teams that are still comparable to boosted 4* . Not sticking me into a sea of 50k health boosted Elektra teams. But then, if every single other 4* player is running boosted Elektra, maybe it's unavoidable for mmr to show me something different? Idk.
    I have been enjoying the boost list this week a lot, both 4* and 5* . For one, a bunch of old non-meta classics being boosted means there's less of them you encounter in pvp as a 4* player. This made it pleasant variety instead of the slog that was everything being boosted 5* Elektras. This, I don't mind at all! If it could stay like that, I'd be perfectly happy. Took on a few Jeans, one Kingpin, one Loki and otherwise mostly 4* teams, it was great. 
    I took the opportunity to run my 5* Loki too. But then, my Loki is unleveled, his boosted health (28k) fits right in with the boosted 4*! He was still a lot of fun to run with boosted Valkyrie.
    So yeah. My problem really isn't with the 5* boosts, it's how mmr deals with the 5* boosted teams in 4* land.