Why Developer inaction kills playerbase activity within the game.

Options

Comments

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Imo LR is perfectly fine and accomplish its goal. Also is played enough, and I played today 4 seasons.
    If you want new content, a new pvp similar to LR, then perfect for me.
    But don't look down LR. And don't touch LR.
    If you want to change all 3*s then I'd need to max all 3*s and is a thing I won't be happy to do.
    If you are too advanced in game, if you don't need heroics nor iso, it could be the possibility that LR is not for you anymore. 
    But there it is for others.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,917 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Right, the problem is that phumade is asking for a change, and a lot of MPQ players just really don't like change.  At the same time, many players complain about stagnation (and hilariously, the same players who complain about stagnation often complain about change).

Consider puzzle gauntlet.  It's manifestly extra. The rewards are ok but nothing to write home about.  It's certainly not necessary to progress.   But a ton of players feel like if there is an event, they *must* not only complete it, but mine every possible reward out of it, or they'll "fall behind" others somehow. 

Thus you end up with the current situation, where players complain about being "forced" to play an event they don't enjoy. 

If the devs added a new type of LR with better rewards, a certain group would feel compelled to play it constantly to avoid falling behind, and they would complain loudly about this.  If the rewards were the same or worse, those players would ignore them, as they do current LR.  The devs can't win.
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 432 Mover and Shaker
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Puzzle Gauntlet is pretty necessary imo, given how integral supports can be to top PVE placement. I think most of the complaints revolve around it being the same thing over and over (true outside of the tug-o-war run) and how it often doesn't feature actually important supports, which goes back to how unbalanced and weird that whole system actually is. It could probably be boiled down to a year-long rotation that would cover every "needed" support and all basic token rewards should just get flipped over to advanced if there's no plan for actual tier upgrading. There's also the education issue, the people it most benefits might not even realize what they're missing out on.
    I play the hell out of current LR because that extra 30-some weekly heroic tokens does a lot to move my shard economy along. I only complain when I screw up and forget to play it. I'd also happily play some mega bonus LR too, if offered.
  • Bad
    Options
    In the past I've suggested global alliance events, wave alliance modes, gauntlet Challenge Nodes, LR variation on weekend.
    I think I've suggested all types of new content possible. 
    The last time was 2 weeks ago, and I suggested a gauntlet running on a week and banning characters, for to add diversity. 
    One player popped saying there is already Puzzle gauntlet wich does that.
    I know! But it is possible to have more new content.  The game is capable of adding more small screens to roll to the side.
    It is not needed to cancel an event for to run another new one.
    And the game is about crushing foes. An event like that could be funny.
    But I suppose it's better to wait years for more new content. 
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    I think a lot of players just prefer the game to be *predictable*, so they can make very long-term plans and not have to change them.

Look at Bad's post above, not to call him out specifically.  He's optimized his roster around the current set of LR featured 3*, because those characters are predictable.  They'll be the same every week, on and on forever.  If those characters were to change, he'd have to re-optimize his roster.

If, suddenly, they started running a different kind of event that required different characters, or they massively changed the power levels of certain characters, or even something much smaller like changing up the way points regenerate in PvE fights, the game is no longer predictable.  Long-term planners and optimizers have to throw out or revise their plans.

A synonym for "predictable" is "stagnant."
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sounds like the devs need to pay more attention to event design?

or Why Developer inaction kills playerbase activity within the game.

• Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So while I agree with your premise as it pertains to LRs. I think the devs have not been inactive within a wider perspective and that has increased player participation more globally. One reason LRs are not the best iso source is the advent of Shield levels. The amount you get from each new level is way larger than the same time playing LRs. As far as I can tell especially at lower Shield levels there is a lot of engagement on getting higher The addition of champ levels also showed action to give us something to do instead of throw away covers of character we had maxed. The addition of them as feeders to the next tier above helped battle the dilution within the 4*tier. Shards were the devs response to a desire for colorless tokens from the players. They actively created a new mechanism  which has allowed a player to go after the exact character they want. That increases engagement because you are playing towards something you want. Much of what has been done has not been a product of developer inactivity and much of what has been done had increased player participation. 

You mentioned it earlier and I think LRs are just the next rung after the prologue missions. They show up every week and they are there for any who want them. I wouldn’t have wanted them to have forgone anything I listed above to work on LRs.
  • hothie
    hothie Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    Options
    If, as Phumade wants, we go down the rabbit hole of changing something about LRs, I think the easiest way to "un-stagnate" (revitalize?) LR's would be to vary the required characters. Have a different character each time, which rotates between 3* and 4* characters. We get loaners anyway, so anyone who doesn't have the character can use the loaner for that 90 minutes. As the schedule is now, there are 24 events each week. Among 3* and 4* characters, there are currently 165, so you're looking at what, 7 weeks before repeating a character, if we keep to the exact same schedule that they have now? And with a new character every 2 hours, people might actually pay attention to see which character comes up next time. That might actually be fun, like opening up a present. "Who's it going to be next?! Oooooh, 4* Iron Fist, I have him champed but never use him. Cool!"

As Bad said, for people that optimize their rosters based on the current LR characters, sure they might have to re-configure their rosters a bit, but they could also use the loaner if they didn't have the required character. 

But just changing the required character would in a sense force people to use the characters that are taking up slots that never see play, and possibly allow people to find new combinations that may work that they hadn't seen before. You make LRs fresh by using "new" (meaning old, but never used) characters, rather than the same 10 week after week. I think that would be the easiest to implement, and would almost be like a mini 3-day pvp event crunched down into 90 minutes. 

"But we already have that with our pvp events." True, but are those stale, too? Same rewards that you can earn every time, only the characters change. I dunno. If we're trying new things to make LRs better, this might at least be a good start.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2021
    Options
    I'm not fixated about rewards but your dedicated players are. Puzzle Gauntlet was an interesting event and apart from the guaranteed specific R3 or better Supports, Advanced and Beginner tokens given, every other rewards are trash. Again, if it's not a meta support, the entire event is trash. You can see it when players have difficulty solving puzzles and called the reward trash or an event not worth their time. Some players expect 100 5* shards for completing Introducing... Events. And so on. You don't care but they care. Some players expect better than usual rewards when you want them to showcase their expertise when clearing new events. I think there's a term for this phenomena.

I wonder why we need to limit the change to only LR and not implement it in day-2-day pvp instead. Think about all the interesting pvps like Evergreen, Snowball Fight and more etc, I think it's easier to implement there than to reinvent LRs completely. 

As far as finding new combination is concern, I believe that it should come from players' willingness rather than forcing them to find new combinations.
  • Phumade
    Options
    I'm not fixated about rewards but your dedicated players are. Puzzle Gauntlet was an interesting event and apart from the guaranteed specific R3 or better Supports, Advanced and Beginner tokens given, every other rewards are trash. Again, if it's not a meta support, the entire event is trash. You can see it when players have difficulty solving puzzles and called the reward trash or an event not worth their time. Some players expect 100 5* shards for completing Introducing... Events. And so on. You don't care but they care. Some players expect better than usual rewards when you want them to showcase their expertise when clearing new events. I think there's a term for this phenomena.

I wonder why we need to limit the change to only LR and not implement it in day-2-day pvp instead. Think about all the interesting pvps like Evergreen, Snowball Fight and more etc, I think it's easier to implement there than to reinvent LRs completely. 

As far as finding new combination is concern, I believe that it should come from players' willingness rather than forcing them to find new combinations.
    Have you ever considered that liking an event is totally different than playing and participating in an event?  Lots of people dislike various events and yet they consistently engage and play the event to the fullest extent of their rosters.  As difficult and challenging 5* Switch PVP is,  I'm pretty sure lots of people where fully engaged trying to lockdown how they will approach Wanda/Colossus in future matchups.  I myself used that event as an opportunity to lockdown my play approach against Wanda/Colossus/Odin combos in the future.   (Specifically,  I skipped Wanda/colossus/Odin in shield sim because there are easier and faster TTK combos to hit to get to 2k.  I.e. I will always hit an ihulk/okie combo in Shield precisely because that team is so consistently beaten by Wanda/Colossus)

I see lots of complaints on the difficulty of Welcome to Shield (especially the 2nd layer),  and I'm pretty sure they are one of the most consistently played mini-events.  I also have a strong suspicion that Puzzle Gauntlet is actually pretty high on the engagement factor simply because it requires different approaches and rewards using lower tier chars.  Even in my alliance, there usually a saved discussion note with which chars are optimized for the various tasks. 

People don't play LRs because they already know the required chars,  and what their best combo options will be to play the event.  I suspect that if there was some magical new "surprise" (I have no idea what) in the existing 2*/3* LRs.  All the vets would come try it out just to see what the surprise is.

Again just because people don't like an event's rewards doesn't mean they won't come play it to see some new game interaction/feature/essential.  I even turned on my animations on one time just to see what some players were talking about.

I certainly wouldn't mind some new innovations to normal pvp.   Offseason is usually great for trying out new rulesets.  In fact, its the only time I alter my playstyle because I know my traditional start times/hop patterns won't be sufficient to accomplish my expected goals.

• Phumade
    Options
    hothie said:

"But we already have that with our pvp events." True, but are those stale, too? Same rewards that you can earn every time, only the characters change. I dunno. If we're trying new things to make LRs better, this might at least be a good start.
    The real beauty of LRs is that alliance and season ranks aren't at risk.  That completely changes the calculus of how people approach play.  That fact alone is the biggest differentiator in how people approach regular season and off season events.
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 432 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Phumade said:

Again just because people don't like an event's rewards doesn't mean they won't come play it to see some new game interaction/feature/essential.  I even turned on my animations on one time just to see what some players were talking about.

I turn on animations for Introducing... and then instantly become annoyed that I forgot to turn them off when I try to do anything else, haha
    Phumade said:
    The real beauty of LRs is that alliance and season ranks aren't at risk.  That completely changes the calculus of how people approach play.  That fact alone is the biggest differentiator in how people approach regular season and off season events.

Personally, I still don't hit friendlies because why would I... maybe in 5* it's different but in 300ish MMR you can play a pretty reliable formula and manage t50 every single time. I'm not saying this because I want that to go away, but to illustrate that different tiers of play really do experience very very different things.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Phumade said:

Have you ever considered that liking an event is totally different than playing and participating in an event?  Lots of people dislike various events and yet they consistently engage and play the event to the fullest extent of their rosters.  As difficult and challenging 5* Switch PVP is,  I'm pretty sure lots of people where fully engaged trying to lockdown how they will approach Wanda/Colossus in future matchups.  I myself used that event as an opportunity to lockdown my play approach against Wanda/Colossus/Odin combos in the future.   (Specifically,  I skipped Wanda/colossus/Odin in shield sim because there are easier and faster TTK combos to hit to get to 2k.  I.e. I will always hit an ihulk/okie combo in Shield precisely because that team is so consistently beaten by Wanda/Colossus)

I see lots of complaints on the difficulty of Welcome to Shield (especially the 2nd layer),  and I'm pretty sure they are one of the most consistently played mini-events.  I also have a strong suspicion that Puzzle Gauntlet is actually pretty high on the engagement factor simply because it requires different approaches and rewards using lower tier chars.  Even in my alliance, there usually a saved discussion note with which chars are optimized for the various tasks. 

People don't play LRs because they already know the required chars,  and what their best combo options will be to play the event.  I suspect that if there was some magical new "surprise" (I have no idea what) in the existing 2*/3* LRs.  All the vets would come try it out just to see what the surprise is.

I certainly wouldn't mind some new innovations to normal pvp.   Offseason is usually great for trying out new rulesets.  In fact, its the only time I alter my playstyle because I know my traditional start times/hop patterns won't be sufficient to accomplish my expected goals.

I don't play LR because they're not fun, and these days, I just don't play events that aren't fun for me (I did 500 points in the SW PvP...I intended to just do the seeds and quit, but I found a few non Colossus teams).

Let's say they change LR so a different set of characters is featured.  What does that look like for us?  Here's what it looks like for me, guaranteed: 3 seed teams, and then an infinite queue of essential/550 SW/550 Colossus. 

Before those guys, it would've been an endless wall of 550 Okoye + Hulk.  Before that it was Bishop.  What's the point of changing the essentials around when every match is the same? 

Yes, theoretically players can experiment and try out all kinds of stuff, and players love to talk about doing it, but in practice nobody ever does that if there's even a chance of getting rewards.

Now, if you put random, constantly-shifting 5* boosts in LR and shield sim...then we're talking.
  • Phumade
    Options

I don't play LR because they're not fun, and these days, I just don't play events that aren't fun for me (I did 500 points in the SW PvP...I intended to just do the seeds and quit, but I found a few non Colossus teams).

Let's say they change LR so a different set of characters is featured.  What does that look like for us?  Here's what it looks like for me, guaranteed: 3 seed teams, and then an infinite queue of essential/550 SW/550 Colossus. 

Before those guys, it would've been an endless wall of 550 Okoye + Hulk.  Before that it was Bishop.  What's the point of changing the essentials around when every match is the same? 

Yes, theoretically players can experiment and try out all kinds of stuff, and players love to talk about doing it, but in practice nobody ever does that if there's even a chance of getting rewards.

Now, if you put random, constantly-shifting 5* boosts in LR and shield sim...then we're talking.
    IF the devs change the format (and we all know how big that IF actually is).  Its more than likely that it won't matter for the biggest rosters.  and Thats okay!

The Devs can at least legitimately claim they updated LRs in 7 years and hopefully, some tier of players will benefit/enjoy from the change no matter what direction they go.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Currently, LR is infested with Colossus/Wanda when you hit high point regardless of which 3* is featured. So, rotating 3* or 4* won't change the way these high end players play. Maybe Polaris will cause the players to change enemy team to consisting of Carbage/Kitty/BRB/R4G.

In the Wanda PvP, I have trouble finding high pointers (60-70) after hitting past 1000. For many other pvps, this wasn't a problem. There were fewer engagements either due to Colossus/Wanda being a pain or it's because it's off-season.

As for engagement, pvp engagements are always low. You need to move out of your top alliance and stay in a top 5000-10000 alliance to see what I'm talking about.   The only type of players that will enjoy that kind of plays are largely players with big rosters or top alliances who love to do all the sniping and whatever activities they play among themselves. Even the bar set for T100 pvp alliance is pretty low. It seems to me that the type of player that push for change to LRs seem to be those long time players.

Here's my counter proposal, simply insert BOP/BFF/Combined Arm rules into all LRs and we'll probably see more varieties. And shake up pvps held during season with special theme pvp instead of waiting for off seasons. Unleash bloodbath with coloured themes like Evergreen during season. We have six stones. So, why not have a coloured theme pvp that is related to every season?

• entrailbucket
    Options
    Phumade said:

IF the devs change the format (and we all know how big that IF actually is).  Its more than likely that it won't matter for the biggest rosters.  and Thats okay!

The Devs can at least legitimately claim they updated LRs in 7 years and hopefully, some tier of players will benefit/enjoy from the change no matter what direction they go.
    Ah, but see...the problem is that you and I probably don't know what they would enjoy or benefit from!  Certainly LR are stagnant, annoying, and useless to me, but some players appear to like them as they are.

If they were changed to suit me (with RNG determining which 5* are megaboosted every round) then the players who like them now might no longer like them. 

This kind of thing is always so much more difficult than it seems, because they're almost guaranteed to make someone angry every time they change anything.  Personally, I prefer big, frequent, potentially-insane changes in MPQ and I have a lot of fun when these things happen, but very few others seem to feel that way. 

I do feel like change has been quite slow over the past several years, but I believe that's what most players prefer.
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 504 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Phumade said:

Ha! About a fifth of my LR retals are champed Wanda/Colossus.
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Count me as an only when I want to claim the daily quest reward NOW and there just happens to be an open LR, but ….
    How fondly doth I ‘member thee sweet Bulls3ye and Fist!  Havin some nice memories of the evening shift where I could time the LR starts and get up to 235 on seeds: good times grinding for standards. 
    came for the iso stayed for the Bag-Man;
    This thread makes me want to play LR and rack up some more Yelena trolphies.If they had 1:244 or whatever the Sakaar arena rates were but dropped a Taskmaster as a rando prize; I would go out of my way to play more.
    They should add all the Limiteds as req’ds/Loaners and let me get my dapper on! Heh careful what you wish for; they might update the req’d when they hype the new She-Hulk show!
  • Phumade
    Options
    Currently, LR is infested with Colossus/Wanda when you hit high point regardless of which 3* is featured. So, rotating 3* or 4* won't change the way these high end players play. Maybe Polaris will cause the players to change enemy team to consisting of Carbage/Kitty/BRB/R4G.

In the Wanda PvP, I have trouble finding high pointers (60-70) after hitting past 1000. For many other pvps, this wasn't a problem. There were fewer engagements either due to Colossus/Wanda being a pain or it's because it's off-season.

As for engagement, pvp engagements are always low. You need to move out of your top alliance and stay in a top 5000-10000 alliance to see what I'm talking about.   The only type of players that will enjoy that kind of plays are largely players with big rosters or top alliances who love to do all the sniping and whatever activities they play among themselves. Even the bar set for T100 pvp alliance is pretty low. It seems to me that the type of player that push for change to LRs seem to be those long time players.

Here's my counter proposal, simply insert BOP/BFF/Combined Arm rules into all LRs and we'll probably see more varieties. And shake up pvps held during season with special theme pvp instead of waiting for off seasons. Unleash bloodbath with coloured themes like Evergreen during season. We have six stones. So, why not have a coloured theme pvp that is related to every season?

The Wanda event was quite instructional for me as well.  I shielded out with 18 hours and 1260 ish points.   Yes I do have access to Colossus, Onslaught and Odin at 460+.  So I had lots of options and I knew this event would be tricky so I gave myself lots of time and played matches conservatively to make 1200 pretty easy.  (I only did 30 matches and 3 hops)

The LRs are incredibly unbalanced with S tier 5* paired with woefully under health essentials.  That alone breaks any asembalance of fun for anyone.  It really is 2v2 with you wondering why your spending health packs on a bad 3* every other match.  As the default LRs should be limited to Chars under 369.  I.e. Block Maxchamped 4* and make everyone play with their Farming 4* (and deal with whatever level they are currently at).  Long term players want to see change, because they already know they can dominate these events and its just not fun playing stale combos in a low pressure low consequence event.  Granted if season or alliance points were at risk, I'd run my best combos just like everyone else.  

It amazes me that the middle tier rosters aren't at the forefront clamoring for change and protection from rosters near my size.  Keep that in mind when you see the long term rosters like entrail or Colog pushing for change to benefit all.  We already know we can perform, and we still want change to keep things fresh for everyone (us included)  Also keep in mind, I know I can beat everyone I need to beat at my MMR.  I have consistently advocated for better MMR protection for smaller rosters to help them get to their goals be it 900 or 1200.

I haven't looked into 5* Gamora yet, I only have her at 1/1/1 so I will wait until her last cycle in LL before I can explore her play in depth.  But from the event, it was really obvious that you needed your own counter Wanda/Colossus, or Shang Chi to take control before Wanda's Green could grind you down.  I also had to focus on giving the AI the multi-matches so I could benefit from my wanda's green.  Definitely a big mindset change from how I usually view the board.  From sim, I know that Onslaught/PX and a good board can take out most baby Wandas.  

All of those suggested events are great candidates for a fast 90 min sprint session.  I'd love to see the ultimate paper rock scissors and have a solo character event.  We've had those themed seasons before (anniversary for example) so Its not unheard of and would be a welcome change of pace.

They definitely have plenty of event options to choose from.
  • Bad
    Options
    Just a reminder that threads like this one can actually cause changes in game (*).
    I will describe LR: it's a mode wich not only gives a normal token and 250 iso on progression, and not only more iso or heroics on rank, it gives for each battle from 140 iso to 500, and 1* or 2* characters. This reward per battle always happens, so playing consistently LR makes a great difference. 
    In this thread it's talking about to change LR because it's not funny to players who actually don't need LR. Perhaps it would be nice to consider about LR that is a mode wich it's really useful to new players for to have a help to get easy resources to their rosters, and iso is quite expensive. WITHOUT NEW PLAYERS THE GAME COULD HAVE A ROUGH TIME FOR TO CONTINUE RUNNING.
    If it was implemented a rotation of 3*s or 4*s, that only would benefit players with a developed roster and harm players who were playing LR until now. It's not my case anymore, but a year ago that would harm my play.
    As I mentioned above, it's not needed to cancel an event or to change it for to implement new content: there is a lot of time in the week and those variations to LR could be added on weekend on a new variation of LR wich could be funny to players but with other type of rewards. 

(*): nobody can be sure at 100%, and even devs could claim they were thinking about it before, but oh coincidency! changes like weekly buffed 5*s, 5* and 4* favorite shard rewards, SW countering Ihulk, powers ignoring damage reduction, all that happened after talking about them on this forum, so actually providing good ideas bears fruits.