MPQ Halloween 2021 Activities

Options

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,917 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2021
    Options
    I don't remember 5* Captain America getting buffed. 

Yes, no one does, because he went from awful to merely mediocre. 

Here's his initial power set:

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/43513/captain-america-first-avenger

I can't find the announcement thread for his buff, but it was in January 2017.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 691 Critical Contributor
    Options
    They are probably only changing Robbie right now due to the Halloween season. None of the characters that really need a rework are spooky enough. (For the record, those characters are Polaris, Immortal Hulk/Okoye, Bruce Banner and 5* Wasp.)

And Robbie could certainly use a rework. Robbie's green is so disappointing. It sounds good in the description but in practice the repeaters quickly fall to the bottom of the board and stop converting tiles. And Damnation is damn boring.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Jan 2017... I haven't played MPQ yet.  It looks like Archangel-like buff. That explains why I don't remember anyone bringing up his buff until today.  :D

I also conclude that if the buff is not significant, it will get negative impression overall. However, their intention to buff older 5* gets a 5-star rating.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There was (very) briefly a time when reworking older characters was something we were told was a priority, but it didn’t last long at all.
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,290 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2021
    Options
    To me, I think they could probably monetize the re-working of old characters if they chose to do so on a semi-regular basis.  In fact, it is probably a better option for them than trying to do 6*.  It would probably be a better initiative than their current plan of rolling out mostly poor to mediocre 5* with a very few good to meta 5*.  In fact, they could actually put the rebalanced and re-worked classic 5* back into new Latest Legends and that would also help out newer players who missed out on them from before.  Perhaps for every 2 or 3 new 5*, they can re-work and rebalance one older and/or bad 5* and re-enter them into LL rotation.  Most of the poor characters would need total re-works and the mediocre character could get the more minor re-work to make them more competitive.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Buffs to old characters are welcome, but ultimately insufficient to solve the massive balance problem they have.

Compare Gamora to Apocalypse (the comparison almost invites itself -- they do the same stuff).  When you compare Gamora to 95% of the 5*, she's pretty good.  When you compare her to Apocalypse she looks terrible.

Is that a Gamora problem or an Apocalypse problem?

If you think every character should be Apocalypse, they would need to change 60+ characters.  If you think every character should be Gamora, they need to change probably 5 or 6.  Which seems more likely?
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 432 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Slipping reworked 5s into new release stores seems like the best of both worlds to me, hope this isn't a special occasion and more will follow!
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

If you think every character should be Apocalypse, they would need to change 60+ characters.  If you think every character should be Gamora, they need to change probably 5 or 6.  Which seems more likely?
    Neither seems likely at all. Balance has never been a goal in this game. If Gamora ends up being like Sabertooth in 4* (counter to Grocket but easily countered himself) land then PvP will better for it while PvE will continue to be unaffected. But boosted characters seem to be the main answer to characters like Apocalypse.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    If balance isn't important, why do so many people complain about bad character releases?
  • Sekilicious
    Options
    If balance isn't important, why do so many people complain about bad character releases?
    I said goal of the game. The vocal minority people who complain about releases want every character to be as good as Apocalypse, though if they were then the vocal minority would complain they aren’t as good as Okoye. The developers have done thematic and playability reworks of characters in the past. We probably shouldn’t expect that every month another character will be the target. I will change my expectations if more than one is reworked per year.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    I said goal of the game. The vocal minority people who complain about releases want every character to be as good as Apocalypse, though if they were then the vocal minority would complain they aren’t as good as Okoye. The developers have done thematic and playability reworks of characters in the past. We probably shouldn’t expect that every month another character will be the target. I will change my expectations if more than one is reworked per year.
    Of course balance has been a goal of the game!  They've made like 40 character balance changes over the years. 

In the past, if a character was ever the best, they were virtually guaranteed to get nerfed into the ground.  The cycle happened over and over again through the years: Loki, Ragnarok, Magneto, Spidey, Sentry, X-Force, 4Thor, OML, Gambit, Bishop.  I'm sure there are even more that I'm forgetting. 

Nearly every dominant metagame in the game's history ended due to catastrophic nerf.
  • Sekilicious
    Options
    Of course balance has been a goal of the game!  They've made like 40 character balance changes over the years. 

In the past, if a character was ever the best, they were virtually guaranteed to get nerfed into the ground.  The cycle happened over and over again through the years: Loki, Ragnarok, Magneto, Spidey, Sentry, X-Force, 4Thor, OML, Gambit, Bishop.  I'm sure there are even more that I'm forgetting. 

Nearly every dominant metagame in the game's history ended due to catastrophic nerf.
    We clearly aren’t playing the same game then. Good luck in yours.
  • entrailbucket
    Options

We clearly aren’t playing the same game then. Good luck in yours.
    Are you saying those changes didn't happen?  I can dig up the threads for every one of them.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The operative word is complain …..I just read in another post players come here to complain about how incompetent the devs are in releasing bad characters , and that they aren’t doing it intentionally to keep the game profitable , they’re just complete idiots . Pragmatically I don’t understand the logic to that opinion , so I presume I’m in the same boat as the devs . 
  • Beast1970
    Beast1970 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker
    Options

Storm Classic, back when Sim was just forever ongoing instead of a season event. 
  • St_Bernadus
    St_Bernadus Posts: 591 Critical Contributor
    Options
    They solved Hulkoye without a nerf.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    They solved Hulkoye without a nerf.
    They did, and there were a couple other dominant teams that met a similar fate. 

That's why I said "nearly" all.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Do we know what the Robbie rebalance is yet? Or is it expected to drop Thursday this week?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,166 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I imagine it will precede his PVP, which doesn’t appear on the event schedule yet. Gamora is giving out bolt shards, I don’t know if 5* pvp rewards work like the 3 and 4* ones to predict if it’s next or not.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    5* shards are also given out alphabetically. I think it will be revealed tomorrow and go lives on Thursday.