boosted 5* in pvp: how are you feeling about it after a few weeks

Options
15678911»

Comments

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sometimes I think you all are playing a different game. Is that really only because I play time slot 5?
    There never were less people active in competition as in House of X. I was only able to reach 16 wins which gave me 461 points and was in T100 with that!

The main change with boosted 5* is that I see less Polaris and less ThorKoye which is a pity since they were some of the few I could win against. Maybe if MMR would work I would see things different but as it works now, the difference is I now see just lots of 5* boosted to 600 while mine are boosted to 550 or something comparable.
    But maybe MMR is still favourable for people with slim rosters and people like me who try to have the roster as complete as possible are treated as bad as always. In PvP that is. In PvE, which is the reason why I still play the game, things look different. At least I do not get punished for the roster and the farming there.
    550. Vs 600 is a good matchup tbh.  Obviously I don’t know the points involved, but anything within 50 levels is a winnable match.  Obviously you need to know who counters who and how to play appropriately but it’s a winnable match regardless of the chars.

pointwise you need to know how your slice runs,  but a 50 level difference is sorta irrelevant past 550 land.  People with experience at that tier know all the counter chars and tactics
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2021
    Options
    House of X was run during off season. So, players are not playing as hard. Also, Slice 2 and 5 have the lowest scoring. Jump to Slice 1 if you want to have more points/win. 
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,913 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Sometimes I think you all are playing a different game. Is that really only because I play time slot 5?
    There never were less people active in competition as in House of X. I was only able to reach 16 wins which gave me 461 points and was in T100 with that!

The main change with boosted 5* is that I see less Polaris and less ThorKoye which is a pity since they were some of the few I could win against. Maybe if MMR would work I would see things different but as it works now, the difference is I now see just lots of 5* boosted to 600 while mine are boosted to 550 or something comparable.
    But maybe MMR is still favourable for people with slim rosters and people like me who try to have the roster as complete as possible are treated as bad as always. In PvP that is. In PvE, which is the reason why I still play the game, things look different. At least I do not get punished for the roster and the farming there.
    Matchmaking works.  The problem is not the matchmaking algorithm, it's other players.  The game can only show you other players' actual teams, it can't create fake players.  Also, it's always trying to show you fights that are worth 40+ points. 

So what you're seeing is that at your roster tier, at your point total, players are running less Polaris and Okoye and more boosted 5*.  There may be weaker teams out there, but they'd have fewer points.  The game won't bother showing you 10-point fights, because most players won't take them.

Actually, if you just want to hit win-based progression by fighting easy teams, you could try climbing until teams are too strong, then dumping points until you see weak teams again.
  • BeetleGeorge
    BeetleGeorge Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    Thanks for all the friendly comments.

1. It's right that 50 levels difference is winnable but I have to use the same boosted characters because otherwise it would be 150 levels and the main problem is not whether a match is winnable but the probability to need 2 or 3 health packs after the match.

2. Slot 5 is the only one where I can get the cheap wins at the start and the only one where I have a chance to be online at the end. BTW, what I would like and I think that would not destroy game balance too much would be they have at some financial investments: a safety net that reduces your losses to a certain amount, e.g. the game could remember your peak points of the event and at the end of the event you get at least half of that.

3. About the point dumping tactics, I really did that for a while but to intentionally loose 10 fights after winning one is not something you do as normal tactics and simply wait until I got clobbered enough anyway works at lively events but not when nobody plays as is often the case in slot 5. But maybe I'm a bit too negative because of the between seasons events and it will be better now again during season.

• BeetleGeorge
    BeetleGeorge Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    Just played a bit of the America Chavez event. The boosted Killmonger seems to make every team not using him easy prey. Needed just a single health pack for him after 5 wins. So it seems with the boosted 5* the difference between good days and bad days is just getting more extreme.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    If you are not playing for placements and you are not shielding, I don't think you need to limit yourself to Slice 5. Since slice 1 is a high scoring slice, theoretically speaking, your floating point should be higher than in slice 5. You might want to give slice 1 two or three runs and record your observations.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,626 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The America Chavez PvP has started to play out a bit like SHIELD Sim used to in that I have hit a wall of god boosted 5's and can't seem to punch through it to get more points. I guess we see what happens with Electro as I think that might be back to being a bit more normal maybe.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Play at 550+ is a different experience for even experienced pvp orcas.  Health packs are sorta meaningless at that tier.  Those players have spicy tokens and such a high surplus of gold that everyone just buys health packs 200 a pop like it’s a skip tax.

this isn’t meant as a flex,  but most 550 elder whales can generat 15-20k gold between every 5* release.   I know this because I buy a 5* 40 pack during every new release, buy slots for the 5* and 4* releases, plus 600 or so in shields for event etc.

yes I’m a full hybrid player but I stoped farm LRs for gold years ago.
  • Bergen
    Bergen Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Options
    i get  about same points,  about same rank with substantialy increased time to be there. they need to fix this time spent aspect by improving the progression rewards or mmr or point system or some mix. why do i get the same thing by putting %50 more time to get there?... apart from that this change seems good. 
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,286 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Bergen said:
    i get  about same points,  about same rank with substantialy increased time to be there. they need to fix this time spent aspect by improving the progression rewards or mmr or point system or some mix. why do i get the same thing by putting %50 more time to get there?... apart from that this change seems good. 
    Totally agree.  I am spending 50% more time to get the same level of reports I did before the boosts.  It doesn't matter if I have the boost, everyone else does also and so I see the same teams over and over that all take longer to play.