boosted 5* in pvp: how are you feeling about it after a few weeks

Options

Comments

• BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,009 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    Options
    Looks like the prior few weeks might have been a test, or our complaining has convinced them they went too far with the boost… cause the House of X PvP boosts the 5*s only 9 levels instead. 
    House of X is a special pvp event where only mutant characters are boosted, just like the villain boost pvp, or the god related characters are boosted pvp.  It was always just a small level boost in those pvps.  I would wait and see whether the next "normal" pvp has the super boost before we make any conclusions.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,917 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I can't imagine them doing this just to bring back a few old PvP players.  My guess would be that they've done this to create variety and force people to recruit and use different characters, rather than using the same characters for every fight in every mode.

Of course there is no variety within a week, but week to week the changes are enormous, which results in more variety than the game has ever had.

Many players hate the change, and that's understandable -- it's quite resource-intensive to recruit and level more than two characters.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2021
    Options
    I can't imagine them doing this just to bring back a few old PvP players.  My guess would be that they've done this to create variety and force people to recruit and use different characters, rather than using the same characters for every fight in every mode.

Of course there is no variety within a week, but week to week the changes are enormous, which results in more variety than the game has ever had.

Many players hate the change, and that's understandable -- it's quite resource-intensive to recruit and level more than two characters.

You keep making that same point this is gonna really hurt players who only pump up the 5* meta characters. That's just not the case. Unless you have the boosted 5*s near or at 550 the hulkoyes, brb/kittys, Wanda/colossuses, Wanda/okoyes, Apoc/Wandas & et all are still gonna hit and win matches.

In karolina pvp my thor was 606 & AA was 589. I tried floating at 1k & all those teams listed above hit me just fine. As you know, if your worth 65+ points in PvP people gonna hit you. If you have dual 670s a little less.
  • entrailbucket
    Options

You keep making that same point this is gonna really hurt players who only pump up the 5* meta characters. That's just not the case. Unless you have the boosted 5*s near or at 550 the hulkoyes, brb/kittys, Wanda/colossuses, Wanda/okoyes, Apoc/Wandas & et all are still gonna hit and win matches.

In karolina pvp my thor was 606 & AA was 589. I tried floating at 1k & all those teams listed above hit me just fine. As you know, if your worth 65+ points in PvP people gonna hit you. If you have dual 670s a little less.
    So why are those players complaining?  If they're not having any problems successfully hitting the boosted guys with their meta teams, then everything is fine.  Something doesn't add up.
  • Bergen
    Bergen Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    edited June 2021
    Options
    from what i see this killed almost all 4* play at scl9-10 pvp.because low level 5* chars are getting huge boosts, i stoppped playing 4* chars may be apart from gritty even for under 400 points (i did sometimes play that). it made 4* play really redundant, if they are going for that they may stop releasing 4* chars altogether, because even boosted they are not a match for boosted 5*s. i generally play meta teams (not much okoyeihulk though) still manage fully boosted team somewhat but reasource usage is really high for effectively no gain on any front. from what i see they should make pvp more appealing not less. and for huge part of 4* players these changes are no go and these only work for old players which will not play the game a few weeks later. i will still play pvp because i still have positive reasource gain but it became less appealing, and made progression on my part harder... they really need to work on mmr and progression on pvp...
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well this week was hard because thor is a absolutely popular character and people have him leveled. I had a baby champed daken but that was not enough. 
    Finally I racked my points but actually I lost some critical battles.
    If some people happen to own AA too, then the match damage and powers make it a dangerous battle, plus thor possibly will activate his passive. 
  • Bergen
    Bergen Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    Options
    yes thor will have what 100-150K hp = you need to do 50-75K damage in under 1-2 rounds otherwise he will wipe your team + add another 5* there with 100K more hp to grind, definetly no go for a 4* player even 4-5 mixed player. they need to adjust the mmr and should let more people getting full progression, as an example the amount of pve players getting full progression should not significantly differ from full pvp progression players, ireally suspect it is only a fraction of the former...
  • BriMan2222
    edited June 2021
    Options

So why are those players complaining?  If they're not having any problems successfully hitting the boosted guys with their meta teams, then everything is fine.  Something doesn't add up.
    Those players aren't the ones complaining.  Most of the complaints I've been seeing have been from small rosters.  I actually went through the thread and looked for complaints to see if I was missing a bunch of people with strong meta teams complaining.

What I saw was that most people seem to like the boosts.   Of the ones unhappy with it I counted 9 people who don't like it because they are not 5 star players or are small 5 star players and are being hit by big 5 stars and 7 people who don't like it simply because they find matches too drawn out/ boring with such high hp to go through. 

I couldn't find anyone saying I can't beat the boosted 5's with my meta team.   Who are these players complaining they can't win with meta teams that you're referring to?
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    I assumed that all the players complaining that fights take too long are complaining because they're trying to use the same old meta teams to fight the boosted guys.  I have heard that specific complaint from other players in other venues.

Maybe that's not a correct assumption!  I'm typically talking to a certain type of player, but the population on the forum is more diverse than Line chats.

If fights are taking too long/are boring, is it because you're fighting the boosted characters with non-boosted guys?  Are you using them because you don't have the boosted guys?
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 432 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    @BriMan2222 I'm complaining that the 4* scene has been straight up leveled, not so much that I can't beat top 5* teams with my usual 4s (duh) but that I'm now being matched against god-boosted 5's for no obvious reason. I'd actually rather have the 550 teams knocking me around because I could rarely take a win back on them if I wasn't valuing my health packs, this 650 nonsense sucks and will only get worse when modern 5s cycle in.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

Those players aren't the ones complaining.  Most of the complaints I've been seeing have been from small rosters.  I actually went through the thread and looked for complaints to see if I was missing a bunch of people with strong meta teams complaining.

What I saw was that most people seem to like the boosts.   Of the ones unhappy with it I counted 9 people who don't like it because they are not 5 star players or are small 5 star players and are being hit by big 5 stars and 7 people who don't like it simply because they find matches too drawn out/ boring with such high hp to go through. 

I couldn't find anyone saying I can't beat the boosted 5's with my meta team.   Who are these players complaining they can't win with meta teams that you're referring to?

I really like the 100+ level 5* boost. I would've lost money betting I'd never use AA or Thor again in PvP. Was fun using DD too. I would've gotten my PvP points just fine if I didn't use those boosted 5s, & using them didn't give me some magical immunity from getting hit.

If you only have 4*s then this boost makes your PvP life more difficult (though do you really Q double high level boosted 5* teams??). If your solid in the 5* game this just opens up more combination of teams to use. It does help the open only classics folks to compete better but doesn't kill the hoard for meta teams folks.

Though *not* looking forward to a wanda & colossus god boost week!
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This thread is gonna be fun when we see the likes of Okoye, Apocalypse and iHulk get boosted :)
  • entrailbucket
    Options

I really like the 100+ level 5* boost. I would've lost money betting I'd never use AA or Thor again in PvP. Was fun using DD too. I would've gotten my PvP points just fine if I didn't use those boosted 5s, & using them didn't give me some magical immunity from getting hit.

If you only have 4*s then this boost makes your PvP life more difficult (though do you really Q double high level boosted 5* teams??). If your solid in the 5* game this just opens up more combination of teams to use. It does help the open only classics folks to compete better but doesn't kill the hoard for meta teams folks.

Though *not* looking forward to a wanda & colossus god boost week!
    It's funny...reading it all back, the number of complaints is *far* less than I thought.  It does seem like the majority of feedback to this change has been pretty positive, and most players are enjoying it.

I guess I'm just used to overwhelmingly negative feedback to any MPQ change, and I'm seeing it even if it's not there.
  • Timemachinego
    Timemachinego Posts: 432 Mover and Shaker
    Options

The problem is that there isn't anyone else to Q; not sure if it's because they're the only stable targets or what but I can know similar rosters are jumping but I can go through 50 skips just to find one of them, it's 95% boosted 5s which get to float free above the actual 4s.
    I'd say the ideal teams for just floating your way to top25 without doing much at all are weak boosted 5s now because they hit too hard and last too long to be worth bothering with for anyone lower but they don't hold enough points for the big bois to care about either. At least back in the day I could run high on my champ 4s and get beat back down a bit, now I just live in this fart-scented nebula where I can't do anything worthwhile.
  • Sekilicious
    Sekilicious Posts: 1,766 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Boosted Polaris is screwing with my health pack consumption in the House of X
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    For people complaining that boosted 5* slow the game down, I don't know what game you're playing.  The House of X event was the slowest PvP they've had since boosted 5* started and it's not even close.

We haven't had a non-boosted 5* event since the entire playerbase pulled their multi-year hoards for Scarlet Witch and Colossus, two characters *specifically designed* to slow the game to a snail's pace. 

The only way we have to deal with those two in a reasonable amount of time is boosted 5* -- without the boosts every fight is against 500+ Colossus SW and every fight takes 20 minutes to win.
  • BriMan2222
    edited July 2021
    Options
    I know our subjective experiences are different, but objectively TONS of people are actually breaking out these characters that the developers spent a lot of long hours creating. You don’t know how happy it makes me to scroll through my queues and instead of 50 Colossus/Switch and 50 Hulkoye, seeing freaking Archangel!? Seeing Doc Ock?!  Having to remember how to best use and fight against these characters.  Strategy!? This is super cool. And yes it might suck when those meta are god boosted, but I’m still here for the diversity. 
    I feel the same way.  One of the things I miss most about being in 4 star land was seeing who was boosted for the week and figuring out what 4 stars from the boost list worked well together and what teams I was going to try out.  That was the reason I didn't jump into 5 star land as early as I could have. 

I had thanos and panther at 13 covers at the time that they had just become the new meta but I didn't champ them because I didn't like the idea of having to use nothing but panthos for every match all day every day. 

These new boosts make things more interesting.  It was fun bringing out my oml, panthos, daredevil, gambit, spider-man, and ghost rider and using my champed arch angel for the first time.  I actually had to read through his powers to find out what exactly he does before I used him. 
  • BeetleGeorge
    BeetleGeorge Posts: 76 Match Maker
    Options
    Sometimes I think you all are playing a different game. Is that really only because I play time slot 5?
    There never were less people active in competition as in House of X. I was only able to reach 16 wins which gave me 461 points and was in T100 with that!

The main change with boosted 5* is that I see less Polaris and less ThorKoye which is a pity since they were some of the few I could win against. Maybe if MMR would work I would see things different but as it works now, the difference is I now see just lots of 5* boosted to 600 while mine are boosted to 550 or something comparable.
    But maybe MMR is still favourable for people with slim rosters and people like me who try to have the roster as complete as possible are treated as bad as always. In PvP that is. In PvE, which is the reason why I still play the game, things look different. At least I do not get punished for the roster and the farming there.
  • Venomous
    Venomous Posts: 225 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I am a 4 star player straight up. I only have 1 5 star even close to champion and they are halfway finished. 

My experience with boosted 5 stars has honestly been rather good. Of course for me Polaris teams appear almost everywhere but the buffed 5 stars honestly helped with that. I do have 1 or 2 Polaris counters, mostly my Kraven, but it is refreshing fighting teams that aren't her. I am in clearance level 9 and from my experience I found there has been less Polaris teams because of the buffed 5 stars. Instead of Polaris, I found myself fighting a lot of buffed 5 stars instead. Then we had the America Chavez pvp where Killmonger got buffed. He is only 1 1 0 for me and I have been winning every single game. Polaris stands no chance against his raw match damage. My fear though is in those who don't have a variety of 5 stars, but in truth I don't know what a roster would look like in clearance 9 besides my own. ( I don't play like most people should when it comes to PQ )

My experience has been this. Buffed 5 stars has been super helpful. I've been able to use those I do have to beat a lot of what should be difficult meta teams. And I know it was briefly stated before, but I think it does help those around my spot to not build meta teams because now they may not always work. It doesn't take a direct counter to destroy what should be a powerful team. If you only build and upgrade a few set characters, you'll be screwed when someone who even slightly counters them ends up ruining you. 

I really was worried this would be dangerous and game breaking but it's been pretty good. Final note however. Is I am terrified for when the big name 5 stars get buffed. It will be scary fighting tons of Immortal Hulk teams or Okoye teams. But this can be easily countered if they specifically choose to buff 5 stars that could counter them. I don't mean like Scarlet Witch gets buffed on IHulk. I mean more subtle counters that simply won't make the match as difficult. Someone like Daken for IHulk instead.