Is Wanda Top Ten for sure?

Options

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Are people mirror-matching Hulkoye? because that NEVER seems to work well for me. I need to switch to a counter team to win, which I'm happy to do; right now it's some BRB-based team while I work on building up 5Witch; we'll see if she ends up working out for me in the end.
  • entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,903 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So if I wrote a post saying "I enjoy playing with Starlord, to me Starlord is the best MPQ character of all-time, what does everyone else think?" everyone should agree that he's the best because it's my own personal opinion? 

No one would point out the reality that Starlord is actually not that useful in a competitive environment?
  • magicbeaned
    magicbeaned Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    Options
    So if I wrote a post saying "I enjoy playing with Starlord, to me Starlord is the best MPQ character of all-time, what does everyone else think?" everyone should agree that he's the best because it's my own personal opinion? 

No one would point out the reality that Starlord is actually not that useful in a competitive environment?
    That's completely different. First of all, we are talking about a new character with unproven worth and some people have used her a lot more than others.  Again, check my original post.  This is not strictly about any format or competitive level. Thanks.

And we all know who WOULD butt into the conversation and start screaming again about competitive environment even after he says he doesn't even play competitively any more!  We know what gets you off, and we know you just have to do it in public.

All good.  Your reality is your reality and I sincerely hope you enjoy it fully.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    If 5*-Lord's yellow didn't cost 10ap, I'd try running him as an anti-hulk
  • magicbeaned
    Options
    He was good with Thanos and Grocket in PvE for a long time, even though I rarely fired any of his powers.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I have played a few matches against Wanda after her boost worn off. As a baby champed 5* player, I find her slightly irritating because she slows down offenses. Unless you stun her or get rid of her repeater and then spam your powers on the same turn, else you have to fire one power per turn and then spam your powers when you are confident that she will be downed. This also means you don't really want to bring anyone who deals passive damage every turn or create attack tiles somehow. 

Her Mystical Feedback is merely chip damage (think of it as Carbage making an extra match that turn)  unless you got a cascade.

Is she top 10 in PvP? Yes, she is.

Currently, in PvPs, the common opponents that I can remember now are:

BRB/Apocalypse
    Ihulkoye
    Onslaught/Apocalypse
    Onslaught/Prof $
    Polaris/BRB
    Kitty/R4G

There are 9 of them. I'm not including Thor even though he's a meta because I seldom see this guy in pvp now.

As you can see, she slows down every team above, except Kitty/R4G and Polaris/BRB. So, she's in there as a defensive meta. 

PvE-wise, she will be helpful if you need some extra protection to reduce damage in SCL 10, if you don't have the other meta tools. 

• entrailbucket
    Options

That's completely different. First of all, we are talking about a new character with unproven worth and some people have used her a lot more than others.  Again, check my original post.  This is not strictly about any format or competitive level. Thanks.

And we all know who WOULD butt into the conversation and start screaming again about competitive environment even after he says he doesn't even play competitively any more!  We know what gets you off, and we know you just have to do it in public.

All good.  Your reality is your reality and I sincerely hope you enjoy it fully.
    Well that escalated quickly!

If you like Wanda, use Wanda.  Let's see what the dominant meta looks like in a few months, after everyone unhoards for these 3 latest and tests them out. 

I'd love to be wrong about them and I'd happily admit it if I am.
  • magicbeaned
    Options
    Is she top 10 in PvP? Yes, she is.

Excellent analysis, thanks.

I can already beat anything I see in PvP with 460 Wanda and 460 Apocalypse.  Her feedback damage gets significant with his boost, or obviously Okoye.
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2021
    Options
    I have played a few matches against Wanda after her boost worn off. As a baby champed 5* player, I find her slightly irritating because she slows down offenses. Unless you stun her or get rid of her repeater and then spam your powers on the same turn, else you have to fire one power per turn and then spam your powers when you are confident that she will be downed. This also means you don't really want to bring anyone who deals passive damage every turn or create attack tiles somehow. 

Edit: To be a little more useful, to beat 5*Wanda you want a team that hits like a truck but only once per round. The opposite of what you want with Okoye. I've found the theoretical Match damage meta to be the best choice against her. Colossus+America Chavez, for exemple. Despite Chavez having a passive attack, the conditions for it are within your control. And, in a pinch, Colossus' blue can burn out her Repeater.

Colossus + Prof X is good too, if you restrain yourself to making 4-matches ONLY when Wanda's Repeater would be included. When you have the AP, you can use X's blue to call Cyclops to destroy that row and then go to town. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Anybody try Carbage/Morbius against her? Too slow/chippy?

I found a 47X Apocalypse/450 5Witch team in MODOK to try it against, and even with a 5/4/3 lvl 70 Morbius I was able to take them out. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,546 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I just stun her with Polaris+BRB and down her before she can get back up. It's an easy win.
    The negative is I can't leave that defensive team out for very long or I get wrecked by Hulkoye teams. The positive is that Bill is usually the only character of mine who takes significant dmg (barring RNG shenanigans that favor the AI). So, I find I use fewer health packs than when I'm just hitting the highest Hulkoye teams over and over.
  • killahKlown
    killahKlown Posts: 578 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Not impressed.  She goes down quick and easy.  I will not be pulling for her.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Not impressed.  She goes down quick and easy.  I will not be pulling for her.
    You might be the only player who believed that since 90% now use her. 
  • TheRiddler
    TheRiddler Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I use her with Colossus quite a bit in PVP. I'm able to go after the Hulkoye teams with them and have 3 good go-to teams of Hulkoye, Colossus/Wanda and BRB/Kitty or Polaris.
    Also for me in PVP I'm now mostly seeing boosted 5s, BRB/Kitty and Wanda/Colossus teams. I don't see the Hulkoye teams too much in PVP anymore.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    It's pretty interesting how fast boosted 5* changed the meta -- this was way back in May, and everything was still a wall of Okoye/Hulk.

I still don't think Wanda/Colossus is a good team (Wanda wants a power booster to do any real damage with her passive, and the defensive overlap between the two of them isn't necessary or helpful), but a lot of people pulled for them (and Knull) so they got used (but not Knull, ever). 

I tend to target them when I see them just to remind people there's no safe "float team," but with boosted 5* I really almost never see them.
  • TheEyeDoctorsWife
    TheEyeDoctorsWife Posts: 829 Critical Contributor
    Options
    It's pretty interesting how fast boosted 5* changed the meta -- this was way back in May, and everything was still a wall of Okoye/Hulk.

I still don't think Wanda/Colossus is a good team (Wanda wants a power booster to do any real damage with her passive, and the defensive overlap between the two of them isn't necessary or helpful), but a lot of people pulled for them (and Knull) so they got used (but not Knull, ever). 

I tend to target them when I see them just to remind people there's no safe "float team," but with boosted 5* I really almost never see them.
    I’ll get a milestone 700 purple shards this week which would champ my Knull . Or I could get Colossus to 8/13. Should I do either or neither ?
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,017 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Yeah that’s great. But your incredibly obnoxious (and incorrect I might add) talk of Hulkoye being the top and nothing else matters turned out to be wrong. The meta changed. There’s more colossus and Wanda out than any team out there. You’re talking “theoretical”. The facts are there’s more colossus/Wanda teams out there than any other team in pick 2 and especially pick 3. 

It’s funny how people like to run their mouth about how “easy” it is to project top tier/meta and yet, more often than not, they’re wrong. 
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    Yeah that’s great. But your incredibly obnoxious (and incorrect I might add) talk of Hulkoye being the top and nothing else matters turned out to be wrong. The meta changed. There’s more colossus and Wanda out than any team out there. You’re talking “theoretical”. The facts are there’s more colossus/Wanda teams out there than any other team in pick 2 and especially pick 3. 

It’s funny how people like to run their mouth about how “easy” it is to project top tier/meta and yet, more often than not, they’re wrong. 
    Okoye/Hulk *was* the top, and nothing else *did* matter.  Or was I playing some other game back in May?  Back then, 100% of PvP teams were Okoye/Hulk.

Boosted 5* are the meta now.  I seriously do not ever see SW/Colossus.  I mostly don't play pick-3 PvP because the rewards for shield sim are trash and everyone just runs their most annoying troll teams -- it's not worth anyone's time.

Anyway, there's a new meta now, and a new tier list.  It goes:

1. Anybody boosted +100 levels that week

Tied for last: Everyone else.
  • Codex
    Codex Posts: 216 Tile Toppler
    Options

Anyway, there's a new meta now, and a new tier list.  It goes:

1. Anybody boosted +100 levels that week

Tied for last: Everyone else.
    I would love to see a boost week with wasp, rescue, iron man and banner to see if this holds true.