Is Wanda Top Ten for sure?

Options
magicbeaned
magicbeaned Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
In my humble opinion, Wanda is legit. If you like her as much as I do you will be able to play her as much as you want if you have Apoc or Okoye. She may be the best 3rd for Hulkoye in PvE, I won’t ever play anything else there. She could be the most enjoyable quality of life improvement in the game because of her purple allowing you to choose your boost. Especially with Apoc where you can pick any one of his colors depending on the board and the game state.

I rate Wanda as high as any character ever, because of my deep love for Wandavision itself, but she is actually Top Ten for sure.

Agreed?

Comments

• entrailbucket
    entrailbucket Posts: 4,902 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I'm not sure there are 10 5* in the "playable in the current meta" tier, so you're setting a pretty low bar there.

As far as the best 3rd in PvE, that's gonna be pretty situational depending on the enemy team and what else you've got.  Wanda doesn't help you as much against goons compared to Dr. Strange, for example, and goons still make up a disproportionate amount of PvE fights.
  • magicbeaned
    Options
    I like her better than Strange against goons because she can get more green for iHulk, which is the only thing that slows him down.

I guess my idea of Top Ten would have to be a historical rather than current thing.

1. Okoye
    2. iHulk
    3. Thanos
    4. Beta Ray Bill
    5. Dr. Strange
    6. Kitty
    7. Apocalypse 
    8. Thor
    9. Wanda
    10. Hawkeye
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    1. Okoye
    2. Hulk

(Tied for last). Everyone else.

You can spend a bunch of time and write a bunch of words, argue and split hairs over the relative rankings of the bottom tier, but ultimately, in a game where most of the time you only get to pick two, doing a full set of rankings is a purely theoretical exercise.
  • magicbeaned
    Options
    And so much fun!
  • magicbeaned
    edited May 2021
    Options
    The last spot is the only one that I wrestle with, Professor X could be better than Hawkeye but Hawkeye has saved my bacon too many times in tough PvE situations.

The order could be shifted, for personal taste.  I don't like BRB or Kitty but I gave them the credit they deserve.  Thor was much higher for a very long time, but that half health trip was always an asterisk for me.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    1. Okoye
    2. Hulk

You can spend a bunch of time and write a bunch of words, argue and split hairs over the relative rankings of the bottom tier, but ultimately, in a game where most of the time you only get to pick two, doing a full set of rankings is a purely theoretical exercise.
    Personally think you’re underrating Apocalypse.  I’d rather hit (try hitting at least) a 550 Okoye/Hulk than a 550 Apoc.  3 actives, all cheap and potentially game ending.  Combined with a crazy high health pool.
    And because of color order, the ai will fire off Yellow -> Red -> Black so he's ai proof.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,544 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I mean.... Probably. But she's not as great as I thought she'd be, at least not on defense. She's very manageable at baby champ levels.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ok top 10.  Here are the characters I actually use in PVP 1200 and PVE CL10.

1 Okoye
    2 IHulk
    3. Apocalypse 
    4. thor
    5 ice.
    6 BRB
    7 Kitty
    8. Hawkeye
    9 Professor X
    10 Onslaught

my go to Challenge node teams Okoye,Ice, Thor. Or Hawkey Coulson Gamora

hard nodes Apocalypse,IHulk, Thor. My Okoye is too low level.

PVP I will run a little Professor X Onslaught to start things off then Apoc IHulk.  When facing Okoye/IHulk I dump my IHulk and run BRB.  When facing BRB I add Kitty with Apoc.

I will be interested to see how much I use Wanda, Colossus, Knull once I pull my hoard 

• magicbeaned
    Options
    Excellent list, thanks. I agree about Ice and PX being good enough, haven’t ever covered or played Onslaught. 

I predict that you will use Wanda a lot, and you will really enjoy it. Her feedback hits harder than I expected, especially with Apoc.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    1. Okoye
    2. Hulk

Personally think you’re underrating Apocalypse.  I’d rather hit (try hitting at least) a 550 Okoye/Hulk than a 550 Apoc.  3 actives, all cheap and potentially game ending.  Combined with a crazy high health pool.
    At extremely high levels some different things start happening with a few guys, but...my list was "best," not "guys I want to hit the least."
  • Pantera236
    Pantera236 Posts: 380 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I really like Wanda. Will she replace my A team in PVP. No. Am I glad to finally have a fool proof way to take down even a 550 okoye/apoc and 550 ihulk. YES!!! My apoc is 507 but Wanda only 451 right now. So YMMV but even at low level she seems great to me.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    1. Okoye
    2. Hulk

Well, as usual I'll argue that BRB level 500 beats any character in the game basically every match, so......

However, as to the topic at hand: if those two are the very top, and Wanda typically beats those two easily, then Wanda must move into the discussion for T10, if not higher. Yes, I think she's in the top 10 characters.....and to EB's earlier point very possibly top 3-5 (for PVP), since T10 is stretching it for sure.

PVE is a different animal. If all you want is something to beat the challenge nodes and you couldn't before - SW might help. But if you want something to speed you up to compete for placement....nothing in the visible latest pipeline is really going to help you there.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Wanda will help me to reduce those damage from team Cascade Machine: Prof X and Onslaught. They have the ability to down my full health baby champed 5* within 1 turn. That's the best use I have for her now.
  • Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    1. Okoye
    2. Hulk

Maybe extend it to top 3 since Hulk sometimes get locked out if another hulk is an essential
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I don't know about using her in PVE, but in PVP she seems to be a solid choice for shield sim teams.  

Wanda + Kitty and BRB is the most frustrating way I have seen her used currently.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    1. Okoye
    2. Hulk

I have never understood applying the Ricky Bobby mentality to a game, or any other aspect of life for that matter. Especially to the point where it needs to be reiterated every time a character discussion comes up. We obviously get it, you only play with two characters. Some will agree, most understand that it is more nuanced than this severely reductionist philosophy. 
    Personally I don't use Okoye/Hulk, because I'm a contrarian, I find it boring, and I'm not that competitive these days.

I wish that the game wasn't this way, but it is and it always has been.  Competitive players all run the same team and they have since the beginning of the game.  This has the practical effect of obsoleting almost every other character in the game. 

There have been brief periods of time when the meta was slightly more diverse, and those coincided with relatively "weak" best characters.  We are not in one of those periods right now, and I'd like that to change.  Pointing out that every new character is useless compared to a massively overpowered top two might be a way to bring about that change.
  • magicbeaned
    Options
    Not likely, but whatever floats your boat. People have always complained incessantly, or just enjoyed the game. One thing is sure: harping constantly has never seemed to be an effective strategy.
  • entrailbucket
    Options
    The alternative is just living in an alternate reality, and it's also giving people bad advice.  For newer players, if you want to be competitive at the highest level, Wanda/Colossus/whoever is simply not going to get you there, not without changes to Okoye or Hulk or both.