R226 UI Update: Main Menu (Updated 4/28/21)

Options

Comments

• IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    Options
    Updated initial post with more information on the next UI update!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,187 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My first reaction to this is that it's SO busy as to be overwhelming. Whoever is doing this new UI's design sensibilities do not at all allign with my own. I'm sure I'll figure it out and get used to it, but this has completely shattered my mental map of how to navigate the game.

Generally speaking, these "hollow" new buttons don't really read as buttons anymore, and their relative enabled/disabled states are not clear. I will always favor consistent, obvious buttons that share behaviors and design elements to things that look graphically cool. The vine getting buried in an unlabeled folder while Quests increased into a first class nav item is strange considering that you spend a TON of time in game applying or selling covers if you're playing at all, and Quests are either done by the time you're finished with DDQ or they're super long term ones like Milestones that eventually are just gone altogether.
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Having Quests along the bottom buttons is nice, but otherwise it looks super busy and I'm not 100% sure I like it. Will have to get the update and see how it plays.
  • IceIX
    IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,313 Site Admin
    edited April 2021
    Options
    <Snip good feedback>
    The vine getting buried in an unlabeled folder while Quests increased into a first class nav item is strange considering that you spend a TON of time in game applying or selling covers if you're playing at all, and Quests are either done by the time you're finished with DDQ or they're super long term ones like Milestones that eventually are just gone altogether.
    To note, the Vine isn't exactly buried, it's still also where it usually is. This is another button that acts as a shortcut to it.
  • revskip
    revskip Posts: 966 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Looks interesting.  I'm sure the majority of neophobes will be angry for a little while until it is no longer new to them but as a neophile I'm stoked for the change.  Hopefully no unintended dimming.  
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited April 2021
    Options
    How does it decide what event is featured? Because I play on a phone and I’m right handed, I do like that story and versus are vertically aligned on the right side of the screen for easy biomechanics to thumb click, but were I left handed i’m not sure I’d feel the same.

also the quest in progress - do I get to pick which one I’m working on (milestone) or is it whichever is closest (daily)?
  • Punter1
    Punter1 Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Options
    So from the Story Select Chapter screen I can't move easily to the PVP Select screen?  have to back out to the main page to then access.  Seems like that's an obvious thing that's missing.
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My first reaction to this is that it's SO busy as to be overwhelming. Whoever is doing this new UI's design sensibilities do not at all allign with my own. I'm sure I'll figure it out and get used to it, but this has completely shattered my mental map of how to navigate the game.

Totally agreed, waaay too busy.  There's only so much room on a phone screen.  The Steam version does look good though  B)
  • mbaren
    mbaren Posts: 220 Tile Toppler
    Options
    My first reaction to this is: what update?  I play on Steam, and I've confirmed my client has updated to the latest version, and I can't see any change to anything.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    It hasn’t come out yet, we are opining on the update to the first post in this thread at this point.
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,561 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    My first reaction is that it's WAY too busy. The screen is completely filled with non-uniform imagery. I don't know what to look at first. Some have thick purple outlines and some don't, there are at least 5 different dimensions on sections of the screen, and there's a ton of dead space at the top.
    But I'll reserve judgment. My first reaction to almost every UI update has been negative, but I've gotten used to most of it.
  • mbaren
    mbaren Posts: 220 Tile Toppler
    Options
    It hasn’t come out yet, we are opining on the update to the first post in this thread at this point.
    Ah, got it, thanks.
  • McPosterson
    McPosterson Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    Options
    Reminds me of other app I use.  Let’s change name

Marvel Pinterest Quest
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Options
    So I have the update, but not the UI; should it be there on iOS?
  • Chrynos1989
    Chrynos1989 Posts: 298 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    So when does this roll out? Cause I updated and nothing changed
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    It looks fresh and modern.
    I like continued changes looking good.
    And we are getting a lot of communication lastly. Interesting. 
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So when does this roll out? Cause I updated and nothing changed
    same. 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I kinda like the new layout.  It reminds me of comic strip or the front page of physical newspaper.

• MathiasTCK
    MathiasTCK Posts: 65 Match Maker
    Options
    I want fast switching between PVP and PVE, make it easy to interrupt PVE to hit a red retal node in PVP then resume PVE, and have MPQ remember what team I used on what node.
  • UNSHMD
    UNSHMD Posts: 25 Just Dropped In
    Options
    MPQ remember what team I used on what node.
    This is the kind of changes we need and want improve game play and forget about ui design