MPQ needs to move to NFTs

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
    No, it’s just an auto given title based on post count.

the characters don’t have to be finite to be tied to NFT, it just allows them to be sold between players, with a record of who owned it in the past. Honestly I think the only things people would maybe spend big bucks on amongst themselves would be infinity stones and 550 characters. Potentially costumes since they seem to be so rarely attainable these days.
  • Sam99
    Sam99 Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    hothie said:
    Higher-level characters in this game are already, shall I say, not easily obtainable. They can be obtained, yes, and champing them normally takes a considerable amount of actual time and in-game resources to complete. If you can champ them quickly, that usually means that you have saved up resources for at least a year, and/or spent actual money, to be able to do so. It's doable, but it generally takes a while.

Now if D3 were to limit those characters to a finite number of attainable covers, that would push many players right out of the game instantly, especially if they have to pay large sums of actual money to obtain them. Thus you would be creating a "market" for in-game characters, where initially obtaining one would seem like a lottery win.

Yeah, i don't see this happening, and I'm not on board. Sorry. Hard pass.
    A 5* character can be acquired infinity but only a finite number of max champed characters can be turned into NFTs. MPQ/D3 could also do an annual thing where they release a finite number of NFTs to the max champed characters. They could even do this randomly. Eg I can end up with a 4* Wolverine while u can end up with a 5* Thanos which is tradeable at the marketplace. MPQ could even throw max support tile on top to maximize its strength in the game. VeVe has come up with NFTs and now building a game around it. MPQ has a game and can turn it into an NFT. Again if any of the devs get a chance to read this, please do give it a thought. That's all 
  • dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,588 Chairperson of the Boards
    It’s a title based on post count 
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 1,018 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sam99 said:
    Don't want to sound silly, is Chairperson of the boards part of the Dev team ?
    The titles are based on number of posts.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    How do you think we can potentially earn from selling max champed 3*, 4* and 5*?
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 586 Critical Contributor
    One of the most common requests over the years has been to let people trade resources or covers among their alliance.  A very long time ago, when the devs used to talk to us, they frequently told us that they were dead-set against ever doing this, because they didn't want to create a gold-farming or cover-farming industry.

Of course, they don't tell us... anything now, so we don't know if they still feel that way, but they've never implemented anything like it.  This feels like a hyper- monetized version of that, so based on what they said 5-6 years ago, I think it's unlikely.

While it would be nice to help out others and/or get rich playing MPQ, one of the main rationales for gifting covers was that extras were being binned. They've basically removed it now that we can save covers for our 1/1/12 character builds, get rewards for covers after having champed a character, and live out our lives like a farmer in the dell.
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 790 Critical Contributor
    One of the most common requests over the years has been to let people trade resources or covers among their alliance.  A very long time ago, when the devs used to talk to us, they frequently told us that they were dead-set against ever doing this, because they didn't want to create a gold-farming or cover-farming industry.

Of course, they don't tell us... anything now, so we don't know if they still feel that way, but they've never implemented anything like it.  This feels like a hyper- monetized version of that, so based on what they said 5-6 years ago, I think it's unlikely.
    So, I don't know how many of you have ever heard of the mobile game Rage of Bahamut, but I played that back in the day (it's dead now). Rage permitted players to trade characters in a digital in-game marketplace. This, however, was part of it's downfall because some really weird economics started to happen. In the beginning it was barely noticeable, but after a couple of years, the price of new characters was hundreds, if not thousands. Older characters (even the ones in the last release) were worth almost nothing. If devs permitted covers to be sold, I predict 4 things:
    1. Odin, for example, which was just released not long ago, would depreciate so quickly and to such a degree that he would be worthless.
    2. Gamora, being newly released, would require someone to break the bank to get her.
    3. In order to keep the value up for classic legends, devs would need to update them, or make all new characters slightly overpowered.
    4. Due to point 3, power creep would increase exponentially. This would further depreciate the value of that Odin that just left LL.
    As far as in-game trading of covers, cp, hero points, etc., I say don't do it. As far as NFTs, I suppose it depends on how exactly it's done. I suppose it could be done in a way that minimally impacts the game. I still say no to NFTs, though, Why risk it unnecessarily. If the goal was to create something for the sole purpose of making as much money as possible, then fine. Devs want to make money, but mostly they want to make a cool game that others enjoy.

• Sam99
    Akoni said:

So, I don't know how many of you have ever heard of the mobile game Rage of Bahamut, but I played that back in the day (it's dead now). Rage permitted players to trade characters in a digital in-game marketplace. This, however, was part of it's downfall because some really weird economics started to happen. In the beginning it was barely noticeable, but after a couple of years, the price of new characters was hundreds, if not thousands. Older characters (even the ones in the last release) were worth almost nothing. If devs permitted covers to be sold, I predict 4 things:
    1. Odin, for example, which was just released not long ago, would depreciate so quickly and to such a degree that he would be worthless.
    2. Gamora, being newly released, would require someone to break the bank to get her.
    3. In order to keep the value up for classic legends, devs would need to update them, or make all new characters slightly overpowered.
    4. Due to point 3, power creep would increase exponentially. This would further depreciate the value of that Odin that just left LL.
    As far as in-game trading of covers, cp, hero points, etc., I say don't do it. As far as NFTs, I suppose it depends on how exactly it's done. I suppose it could be done in a way that minimally impacts the game. I still say no to NFTs, though, Why risk it unnecessarily. If the goal was to create something for the sole purpose of making as much money as possible, then fine. Devs want to make money, but mostly they want to make a cool game that others enjoy.

This is something the devs need to look into. Id say only give NFTs to ppl who have earned a championed character champ maxed a character. Don't drop it on everyone.

WilliamK1983 said:
    "A fool and his money are soon parted."
    Thanks for the input.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    How many max champed 4* and 5* do you have since that has been your proposal? And how much do you expect to make?
  • Sam99
    How many max champed 4* and 5* do you have since that has been your proposal? And how much do you expect to make?
    Truthfully no 5*. I've got five 4* championed characters but they are not maxed. As I'm a clinician, it's not always for me to be playing MPQ all the time. There are others who've spent more time in the game. They could get the opportunity of getting a numbered digital comic/NFT. 
  • purplemur
    purplemur Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Watched the Hot Ones where Mila Kunis was  interviewed and she said her latest animated series is entirely crowd-funded by NFT’s. Made me think of this thread.

I still don’t understand the whole thing but it isn’t all get rich quick elite artbuying scams. I think there is something to the artist having some control by having those unique id’s. You can say this is the Official digital artwork. You can’t heist it - sure you can bootleg and ctrlc/v and good on you for downloading pirated media but it’s not the real deal with Bill macneill. 
    What if D3 sold the animations as an NFT for unreleased chars to fund the development cycle? Let’s get 10k players to purchase the same 5$ NFT pack and get Paste-pot Pete (or whoever the forum votes for- think LEGO IDEAS) for the whole game. Don’t tie it to any gameplay at all, don’t offer a marketplace because you certainly don’t want a cabal of players to coordinate on a 3rd party platform to gain advantages over PvP  ;), don’t play with limited release or have rarity, just offer your custys an additional way to spend. By purchasing official artwork. 
    However;
    We have to talk about the blockchain energy vampirism though. Even though I can see the benefits and fully support the idea and discussion of alternative funding sources and want to see artists get credit; until &unless I can see the environmental impact statement that says this process isn’t just pure ecological devastation. Pass. 
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 790 Critical Contributor
    purplemur said:
    ... Paste-pot Pete...
    You made some really good points, but this is ultimately all I'm going to remember. :D

I know devs aren't making anymore 1, 2, or 3* characters, but if they can make a one-time exception for Paste-Pot Pete, or maybe a 4* Trapstr, I'd be happy. Ok, rant over. Back to NFTs. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2021
    Sam99 said:
    *redacted*
     But like what did you buy, exactly? A cell on a spreadsheet with your name in it?

**Mod note: Removed quote since post has been removed. - fight4thedream
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,083 Chairperson of the Boards
    Sam99 said:
    Guys please Google sky news VeVe. VeVe is doing a Disney + virtual event. Just bought a Wall-E NFT today
     But like what did you buy, exactly? A cell on a spreadsheet with your name in it?

I was reading up and it seems these things are only avilable from a "blind box" which sounds to me like another name for a lootbox. So you can't even directly choose what you want?
    These collectables are only offered for purchase in a blind box, meaning you won’t know which collectable or rarity you have acquired until after your purchase.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,588 Chairperson of the Boards
     we grant you, for so long as you own that Asset, a personal, non-commercial, non-exclusive, non-transferable”

Wow amazing, such value, many exclusives.

Again, what value would this bring to the game?
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited November 2021
    Sam99 said:
    *redacted*
    Sounds an awful lot like advertising to me.

**Mod note: Removed quote since post has been removed. - fight4thedream
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    After the pandemic and the severe crisis it seems there are lot of people desperately searching for benefit, and it seems comic collectors would be the eligible fools to rob.
    I don't know much about crypto coins but I know a lot about pyramidal scheme.
    The movie ready player one also talks about the metaverse, and that is what Zuckerberg is desperately working on for to become richer and more powerful then ever.
    Facebook is a global company who hurts 360 million users and hurts sleep, work relationship or parenting for about 12.5% users, and the company knows it.
    Apart from giving disinformation and messing with other goverment countries, and the company knows it but it gets huge benefit from this behaviour and minor punishment. 
    About the NFTs, I don't give a damn for it, honestly. Reading a single comic doesn't mean for me paying a lot of money, for much property of it that I could have, and if the system is a blind box, then the thought of me paying money for that is extremely laughable. 
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,962 Chairperson of the Boards
    **Mod note: Removed inappropriate post and scrubbed it from other posts that had quoted it.  A warning has been issued. Please refrain from posts that advertise other games, products or services as such posts are a violation of rule 14. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation. Thank you.
  • Sam99
    **Mod note: Removed inappropriate post and scrubbed it from other posts that had quoted it.  A warning has been issued. Please refrain from posts that advertise other games, products or services as such posts are a violation of rule 14. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation. Thank you.
    I hope you are part of the developer team. I am trying to speak to someone to say that MPQ should give us a NFT option. If I've given an example, its just for the devs to look into that product and how they can being that feature into MPQ. If you could help pass across my message, I really appreciate that. I'm not trying to cause any trouble or anything. I'm just saying give the players a chance to trade their comic cover that are readable or in the future soldable if champion maxed.