MPQ needs to move to NFTs

Comments

• Sam99
    Sam99 Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    No I'm not. I actually wish MPQ did it rather than everything ending up with VEVE. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’m aware of what they are, and I’m not bought in. More power to those of you who are I guess.
  • UNC_Samurai
    UNC_Samurai Posts: 402 Mover and Shaker
    Anon said:
    I had no idea what NFTs were until I looked it up just now.

Seems like an incredibly stupid idea to be honest.
    You caught on quick.  You don't actually buy something, you buy access to a JSON label that says you own the thing, and that's the only right you purchase (since you don't acquire the rights to disseminate or display the work). 
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2021
    Is it even legal for players to sell Marvel's IP material without a license agreement with them? Will Marvel even allow this to happen? 

Currently, the dev is given the license to use Marvel characters in MPQ. This doesn't make them owner of those IPs. This makes them merely the licensee. The ultimate ownership of those IP still belongs to Marvel/Disney 

If you are excited about this, why not email Marvel about this, and let us know what they replied you. 

permissions@marvel.com

I know there are people becoming millionaires by selling NFTs. So, I understand why you want this to happen. You just want a quick way to become rich.

• dianetics
    dianetics Posts: 1,588 Chairperson of the Boards
    The whole thing sounds like a late night infomercial pitch.

There are serious issues with this though.

First, why would any dev of a video game ever tie a real world economy to a secondary platform they have no control of?

If the devs wanted trading in the game, then they would implement in their own manner.

What happens if the network for the nft  dies?

What actual value does it bring to the game?

Why would the devs introduce market scarcity to the game? How does that benefit the game?

Why would the devs allow “ownership” in a licensed game that they don’t hold the rights to?

If the game shuts down what value does the nft hold on the network?
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 790 Critical Contributor
    Is it even legal for players to sell Marvel's IP material without a license agreement with them? Will Marvel even allow this to happen? 

Currently, the dev is given the license to use Marvel characters in MPQ. This doesn't make them owner of those IPs. This makes them merely the licensee. The ultimate ownership of those IP still belongs to Marvel/Disney 

If you are excited about this, why not email Marvel about this, and let us know what they replied you. 

permissions@marvel.com

I know there are people becoming millionaires by selling NFTs. So, I understand why you want this to happen. You just want a quick way to become rich.

I'm not a lawyer, so I could be incorrect. In addition to what you said, Marvel may own the IP, but game content is not owned by Marvel. Devs can't sell NFTs of anything Marvel related without Marvel's explicit permission and Marvel cannot sell NFTs of MPQ content without explicit permission.
  • HoundofShadow
    And even if Marvel allows the dev to do that, and the dev allows it to happen, how many of us can afford to pay the six-seven figure licensing fees?  :o
  • dianetics
    We haven't even touched on the potential competitive issues this brings up either.
    A small group of dedicated players could essentially lock other players out of the "best" characters in the game and in turn create a glass ceiling for everyone else.

I'm still waiting for an answer the most basic question though.

What value does it bring to the game?
  • HoundofShadow
    edited October 2021
    The OP just need to be honest and admit that the reason why he's proposing this is because he want to make use of MPQ to become a multi-millionaire. It's as simple as that. He knows that if he were to approach Marvel/Disney with this idea, they won't even bother to entertain him.

Apart from that, he admitted he's been playing MPQ for more than 6 years. So, if there's 1000 limited new characters, chances are he and those long time vets will be the one completing new characters and getting filthy rich. If you think that dev selling 525 5* shards for $40-$50 is expensive, wait till you see all these vets jacking up 5* shards to 4 - 6 figures digit. 
  • Sam99
    First off I'm a nurse by profession. I don't expect to get rich overnight really. I just believe all good ideas for a NFT shouldnt just lie with only one company. Now if I'm going to talk about the other company and their latest deals with other brands, I'll be deemed as their fanboy. As an individual who has spent good years playing MPQ since 2013  (1639 days in MPQ, sorry my bad I thought I spent 6+ years on it) I feel a championed max character comic cover shouldn't just be a cover. It could be an actual digital comic which is a fightable character as well. 

If you watch the movie READY PLAYER ONE, it's the inspiration to digital NFTs. Again MPQ/D3 will have to make another deal with Marvel to get an NFT license just for the covers they're displaying on the game. Trading can be in-app or Opensea if Marvel allows it. If companies want to make things happen, they can get someone familiar to the NFT ecosystem. 

I was in an alliance that died cause the leader of the group left for months and never came back to play. Literally like 8/20 players were active. I suggested someone to open another alliance so that the active players could move there. Imagine if MPQ moves into the NFT space, it would bring back old accounts back online and give new life to the game. Even a 1* char can have value added to itself. Eg. Use the 1* char 100 times in a fight and then get the digital comic which is tradeable in game. 

The other company that I've invested in have made a multiyear deal with Disney for digital NFTs. I could post again but I don't want my post to be marked as spam. Hence please look into it. I hope one of the devs reads my comment and gets back to me as to where their opinion lie regarding NFTs. 
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 10,083 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are multiple news reports on this happening, I would say it is probably unlikely that MPQ will get involved.
    The whole thing seems like an enormous waste of money to me.

• dianetics
    If you are rewarded with an NFT for achieving a certain goal I would be ok with something like that as long as it is not tradable / giftable / sellable.

If you champ a 5* and they reward you with an NFT for a digital version of the comic, or something along those lines I would be fine with it.

Bringing NFT into the core gameplay and allowing trading and selling of in games items is a non-starter though.

Bringing real world money into a competitive or co-operative online game is just asking for trouble.

It happened in Diablo 3, I made a good chunk of money in that game when it released, but it made the game worse for it.
  • Srheer0
    Srheer0 Posts: 510 Critical Contributor
    Bringing real world money into a competitive or co-operative online game is just asking for trouble.

They already do that though? The weekend deals for 4star characters at like £15. The tiered LL offer that was on recently, every offer that pops up trying to sell you 1 and a bit 5star cover, some 4star things, other currency and a LL?

I like the idea of having comic gifts though. 
  • Sam99
    DAZ0273 said:
    There are multiple news reports on this happening, I would say it is probably unlikely that MPQ will get involved.
    The whole thing seems like an enormous waste of money to me.

Well VeVe made $4million by selling 28000 digital collectibles of Spiderman on the app in like 5 minutes on releasing the drop. The common ws for $40 USD and the interactive Secret Rare is for $400 (which is selling for 11.9k now at the marketplace ) for reselling of the NFT, Marvel, VeVe and the user is making money off the NFT. 

Again I say the devs in D3 need to look into this as NFTs is in its initial stage. Image the first championed 5* character selling for a good amount of money and given a mint no by D3. 

• dianetics
    Srheer0 said:

They already do that though? The weekend deals for 4star characters at like £15. The tiered LL offer that was on recently, every offer that pops up trying to sell you 1 and a bit 5star cover, some 4star things, other currency and a LL?

I like the idea of having comic gifts though. 
    You’ve taken my point out of context. I was specifically referencing trading and selling of in game items.

A community controlled marketplace can be highly manipulative, especially if the goods are finite.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,385 Chairperson of the Boards
    They just want to be “collectibles” of some sort because at least in the US, those are taxed at a lower rate than short or long term capitol gains. I feel pretty strongly the big price sales are tax haven moves myself.
  • hothie
    hothie Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    edited October 2021
    Higher-level characters in this game are already, shall I say, not easily obtainable. They can be obtained, yes, and champing them normally takes a considerable amount of actual time and in-game resources to complete. If you can champ them quickly, that usually means that you have saved up resources for at least a year, and/or spent actual money, to be able to do so. It's doable, but it generally takes a while.

Now if D3 were to limit those characters to a finite number of attainable covers, that would push many players right out of the game instantly, especially if they have to pay large sums of actual money to obtain them. Thus you would be creating a "market" for in-game characters, where initially obtaining one would seem like a lottery win.

Yeah, i don't see this happening, and I'm not on board. Sorry. Hard pass.
  • Sam99
    Don't want to sound silly, is Chairperson of the boards part of the Dev team ?