Puzzle Gauntlet

Options
1235»

Comments

• Mayo
    Mayo Posts: 156 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I like you need to think to win instead of powerplaying.

It would be nice to integrate this system into pvp and pve so players could get extra progression points to climb each and every event. 

More puzzles please! 
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,743 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    So, i took my time, and made two videos on this...

The first 5 nodes -
    https://youtu.be/2d2vFxfUkg0

And the last 5 nodes (the ones where required/restricted character choices come into play) -
    https://youtu.be/uvaGwl23mSA

I made sure to never use a 5* character, and i used a different solution nearly every fight.  These nodes are totally winnable... Just might take some extra time or thinking or what-have-you.

I do admit... There are times in the vids where i'm thinking for a moment, sometimes out loud, sometimes not.  One particular fight beat me after a long battle, and had to redo it.  Also, i thwarted my own plans a time or two, but i usually bounce back pretty well.

I hope these videos help anyone who still needs ideas.  And for the record, i pulled a 4* RTF.  Thats a 2 rank upgrade for me... I'll take it!
  • Ugh
    Ugh Posts: 83 Match Maker
    Options
    Am I the only one finding this thing to be pure torture?  Collect x of whatever color and every time the color practically disappears from the game.  Any suggestions on the team up one?  Been playing for like 20 hours and haven't even gotten into the double digits as there are just no team up tiles.  Easier to just kill the other team
  • NemoAbernnigan
    NemoAbernnigan Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Ugh said:
    Am I the only one finding this thing to be pure torture?  Collect x of whatever color and every time the color practically disappears from the game.  Any suggestions on the team up one?  Been playing for like 20 hours and haven't even gotten into the double digits as there are just no team up tiles.  Easier to just kill the other team
    That s kind of the point. It's supposed to be harder to reach the wincon than to win. If you have BRB with the passive to generate green AP I'd recommend pairing him with Polaris and 3* Storm. Both the Storm's green and yellow can help get you to the total and once you go winfinite it is easy enough to match what you need. 2* Captain Marvel also works, especially with Valkryie and someone who makes yellow your strongest color.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,066 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Ugh said:

In addition to 2* Captain Marvel, Okoye's Yellow also generates Team Up tiles.
    If you've already gotten the Royal Talon fighter make sure to put in on whomever has team ups as the strongest color so you get a chance for 2 extra.
    Make sure at least 1 of your 3 characters has a long stun (Gamora, 2099 etc) so you can keep Mags stunned. He is the biggest drain on team up tiles with his Red.
    KGB
  • Mayo
    Options
    Ugh said:
    Took me around two hours while i was watching a movie. Know your characters powers better and you will see the light. 

Cheers!
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Ugh said:

Some advice on this specific node:
    1. You need a team-up generator.  2* Captain Marvel are the 2 best Okoye.  Just bring one of them
    2. If you have the Royal Talon Fighter support (at least level 2), equip that.
    3. 5* Prof X is nice because he will get you bonus AP for every 4+ match
    4. You need a yellow-generator to power the Team-up generator from #1.  Cloak & Dagger, 5* Prof X, Half-Thor, The Hood (to reduce/steal AP from the opponent).
    5. If you have room because you don't have one of the above, bring a stunner or an AP stealer.  1* Widow, G4mora, Iceman (4 or 5) are all decent options.  Icem4n is nice because his purple denies red and depletes it to prevent the opponent Magneto from removing all the TU's.
    6. The biggest thing is no matter which TU generator you bring... stockpile your yellow first.  Do NOT fire the yellow to generate TU as soon as you have enough AP.  Save it up until you can fire it several times in a row.  That, especially if paired with ProfX 5*, will get you all your TU at once and not allow the opposing team to match them away
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 981 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I would advise bringing Cap M4rvel along with Okoye. Yellow will probably be your strongest color, so it's nice to get those yellow (for Okoye's yellow power) sort of for free.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I cleared all levels. For me the most difficult was mockingbird chavez and loki. I did it after some trying with gamora and yelena, for to stun and to mess their AP. They are really hard to deal with them if not.
    Also it is posible to down 2 of them and the game continues. And I had to use a team up for gaining the last green and not killing the last foe.
    Obviously I was pretty hyped with my win.
    For the node collecting 30 TU I did it easy with northstar and Miles. 
    Lot of tactics, combinations and fun. Great event. 
  • Tanglefoot
    Tanglefoot Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    Options
    The puzzle quest was an awful, impossible event for a newer player. Like 9 champed 2* and 1 champed 3*. Most nodes in the puzzle were impossible, and killed my heroes so limited their use in other events. Not really playable with an immature roster - no scaling...
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 981 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The puzzle quest was an awful, impossible event for a newer player. Like 9 champed 2* and 1 champed 3*. Most nodes in the puzzle were impossible, and killed my heroes so limited their use in other events. Not really playable with an immature roster - no scaling...
    An incentive to get stronger for the next gauntlet. Not all events should be scaled, or if they decide to, adjust the rewards accordingly. 

When I started out, I could only manage a few nodes in DDQ. Over time I got a better and deeper roster and I can finish easily now. It just takes time, but you'll get there eventually if you hang in there long enough.
  • PiMacleod
    Options
    Dogface said:
    An incentive to get stronger for the next gauntlet. Not all events should be scaled, or if they decide to, adjust the rewards accordingly. 

When I started out, I could only manage a few nodes in DDQ. Over time I got a better and deeper roster and I can finish easily now. It just takes time, but you'll get there eventually if you hang in there long enough.
    Agreed.  This should be incentive to rise up.  Grab the rewards you can, and next time, you'll grab even more if you've improved your roster enough.  

This is why progression rewards get better the more nodes you can complete -- it rewards those that have come a long way and dedicate their time (money).
  • Mayo
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Hope another gauntlet comes at the end of the current season. 💪🏻
  • Tanglefoot
    Tanglefoot Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2021
    Options
    PiMacleod said:
    Dogface said:

Agreed.  This should be incentive to rise up.  Grab the rewards you can, and next time, you'll grab even more if you've improved your roster enough.  

This is why progression rewards get better the more nodes you can complete -- it rewards those that have come a long way and dedicate their time (money).
    Except it was not “grab the rewards you can”, it was “don’t play the Gauntlet event at all”. The entire game is built around building your roster and getting stronger, but I thought it ill conceived to have an event which was basically “hey, if you are a newer player, or have not dropped real $$ on the game, YOU CANT PLAY”
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,493 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    PiMacleod said:
    Dogface said:

Except it was not “grab the rewards you can”, it was “don’t play the Gauntlet event at all”. The entire game is built around building your roster and getting stronger, but I thought it ill conceived to have an event which was basically “hey, if you are a newer player, or have not dropped real $$ on the game, YOU CANT PLAY”

Devs probably need to do a better job setting roster expectations. I definitely agree puzzle quest is hard for the 1*-3* roster. But a widely developed 4* roster should have had no issues and a deep 5* roster has already maxed out the puzzle quest awards. Honestly it was geared to a 3-6 year roster player
  • PiMacleod
    Options
    Well, i will admit, im mighty curious to see what it would've been like to play with that YOUNG of a roster now...

Heres why.  It was a PUZZLE.  Not a 'kill the opponent' game.

As such, ive personally watched seasoned players (this is not a joke) fail on these with 5* champs in the roster because they dont "puzzle".... They just smash the opponent with a meta, not even understanding the mechanics.  Like a noob Tekken player picking Eddy Gordo, and mashing kicks all day, thinking they're amazing for their win(s).

Now the win isnt damage based, but a puzzle.  Making the best match isnt always the available match 4... Or even your strong color.  Or a SAP for Polaris to abuse.  Etc.  Theres a lot more tile denial needed, as well as focus on the task at hand your team should be built around.

Anyone couldve failed these, no matter the roster.  And i understand it would be harder for younger rosters.  But impossible?  Im interested and wish i couldve watched.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    There were pretty doable nodes and of course there were the hard ones. It was a 1 week event. Anyone willing to complete it had plenty of time to try it.
    Rewards were quite good. But no one can expect to win the best rewards for free.
    I suppose all it comes into the personal will to progress of each player, I say from my 832 days of play.