Puzzle Gauntlet

Options

Comments

• Captain_Carlman
    Captain_Carlman Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2021
    Options
    Borstock said:
    The old Gauntlet was pretty much impossible to finish unless you had a great roster. There were no cheap metas like Polaris-BRB-Th4nos to help bail you out on the hardest nodes. You really had to earn it.
    I remember being so proud of myself when I was able to finally beat round 3 of the Gauntlet.  I only got like, two nodes in to round 4 before I was just slapped all around by the teams at that point, but I did feel like progress had been made.  Like he said, you had to play smart as "cheesy" metas weren't really a thing back then.  You couldn't just Hulkoye or Rocket/Polaris your way through them.  It was really a different change of pace and I can totally understand why people have been asking for it back for years now.

About Puzzle Gauntlet, I was finally able to beat the whole thing after I got the recommendation to use 3* Hawkeye a page or so back and got a 4* RTF, so that was cool.  I enjoyed it and I hope they run this often or run it with the old Support Circuit event and offer different rewards for this one or something.  I really hope this isn't one of those events that eventually falls to the wayside like the aforementioned Support Circuit or Gwen Prix.
  • Chrynos1989
    Chrynos1989 Posts: 313 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    LakeStone said:
    Loosie said:
    That was tough, but I managed to get a 3* and 5* RTF!!

One question though @LakeStone The support tokens given out are a different store than the current one, is this one static or will it rotate?
    The beginner support tokens given out in Puzzle Gauntlet are for an outdated Support store. We will have this fixed for future runs of Puzzle Ops.

So there will be more gauntlets for other supports? Would be nice
    you guys maybe plan doing them for stones too?
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 992 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I got the Talon 4 so yellow is now Okoye strongest color . But I used Bloodstone and Rey Mysterio to generate a ton of yellow, I thought this was my quickest battle 

Nice reference to the 619!
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 1,116 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Borstock said:
    The old Gauntlet was pretty much impossible to finish unless you had a great roster. There were no cheap metas like Polaris-BRB-Th4nos to help bail you out on the hardest nodes. You really had to earn it.
    I remember being so proud of myself when I was able to finally beat round 3 of the Gauntlet.  I only got like, two nodes in to round 4 before I was just slapped all around by the teams at that point, but I did feel like progress had been made.  Like he said, you had to play smart as "cheesy" metas weren't really a thing back then.  You couldn't just Hulkoye or Rocket/Polaris your way through them.  It was really a different change of pace and I can totally understand why people have been asking for it back for years now.

About Puzzle Gauntlet, I was finally able to beat the whole thing after I got the recommendation to use 3* Hawkeye a page or so back and got a 4* RTF, so that was cool.  I enjoyed it and I hope they run this often or run it with the old Support Circuit event and offer different rewards for this one or something.  I really hope this isn't one of those events that eventually falls to the wayside like the aforementioned Support Circuit or Gwen Prix.
    I remember being able to beat the gauntlet for the first time and being so proud to get that one 4 star cover.  Then being able to beat the gauntlet the next couple times that it rolled around and being happy that I was confident that I could beat the gauntlet in the future only for them to never bring it back again :/
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Fun addition to the game. The hardest was the yellow ap one since I didn't have any good options for someone who will make yellow my strongest color to pair w 4* Captain Marvel and Valkyrie. I hope this becomes a weekly thing and that they introduce more win conditions.

Enter Adam Warlock!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,268 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I found purple to be the hardest, since there is nobody that auto-collects it, so I had to rely on making it my strongest color and using a Valkyrie/Jessica Jones/4* Cyclops to gather it through other means. I have to say that BRB/polaris or BRB/Thor was the all-star for me on green and blue for sure.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 3,066 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    LakeStone said:
    Loosie said:
    That was tough, but I managed to get a 3* and 5* RTF!!

One question though @LakeStone The support tokens given out are a different store than the current one, is this one static or will it rotate?
    The beginner support tokens given out in Puzzle Gauntlet are for an outdated Support store. We will have this fixed for future runs of Puzzle Ops.

So there will be more gauntlets for other supports? Would be nice
    you guys maybe plan doing them for stones too?

I hope not on the stones. They are badges of honor earned for doing something very specific (winning a season) and when you see someone with one you know what they've accomplished. I've seen several players who've gone really hard at PvP to earn all 6 at Rank 4 and then again at Rank 5 when CL10 became available.
    If anything I wish there were more badges of honor to earn (could be unique costume, support etc).
    KGB
  • NemoAbernnigan
    NemoAbernnigan Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I found purple to be the hardest, since there is nobody that auto-collects it, so I had to rely on making it my strongest color and using a Valkyrie/Jessica Jones/4* Cyclops to gather it through other means. I have to say that BRB/polaris or BRB/Thor was the all-star for me on green and blue for sure.
    I used 4* Captain Marvel and Switch with 4* Professor x  and both BRB and 4* Captain Marvel with a Polaris and Medusa combo I think. If you use Marvel's yellow to drop Switch's countdown tile early then Prof X will boost the gain even more. With the other teams, I had Polaris at the highest level, so with Marvel enemy matches made blue to help spam the stun with Polaris, and BRB was an early and strong blue generator as well, while Medusa just generated purple and even more blue off the enemy tiles Polaris spawned.

Edit: Wait, no, I'm conflating one of my blue puzzle strats and a team I tried in the simulator. The purple is the solo against Polaris and Medusa. I just used Hawkguy for that and beat it in one. It was pretty easy with his black at level 5.
  • Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Jacklag said:
    Fun addition to the game. The hardest was the yellow ap one since I didn't have any good options for someone who will make yellow my strongest color to pair w 4* Captain Marvel and Valkyrie. I hope this becomes a weekly thing and that they introduce more win conditions.

Enter Adam Warlock!
    Despite my own suggestion, Adam Warlock was not the best idea against the 5*Deadpool team. Definitely need a stun spammer on that one. So I tried again (and again and again, but let's cut to the end) with IM40, Mysterio and Iceman. Mysterio continually turns the Blue into Yellow for IM40 to turn back into more Blue. Iceman uses some of this blue to stun Deadpool while Mysterio kept The Hood permanently stunned so he wouldn't steal my AP.

Took a little while, but it worked.
  • Spudgutter
    Spudgutter Posts: 743 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Kitty Pryde, 4* Capt Marvel and 2* Black Widow.  Kitty tanks and collect yellow and purple, slowly overwrites the tiles from Cloak and Dagger, and protects Widow so she can use the purple to steal AP.
  • NemoAbernnigan
    NemoAbernnigan Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Jacklag said:
    Jacklag said:

Enter Adam Warlock!
    Despite my own suggestion, Adam Warlock was not the best idea against the 5*Deadpool team. Definitely need a stun spammer on that one. So I tried again (and again and again, but let's cut to the end) with IM40, Mysterio and Iceman. Mysterio continually turns the Blue into Yellow for IM40 to turn back into more Blue. Iceman uses some of this blue to stun Deadpool while Mysterio kept The Hood permanently stunned so he wouldn't steal my AP.

Took a little while, but it worked.
    I went with 4* Captain Marvel, Medusa (making yellow my strongest) and Northstar on my best run at it I think. Medusa heals or gens blue occasionally and Northstar uses his blue to make more blue, yellow, and black, which you can use to put annoying enemies airborne or for Marvel, if you want to try and just delete them instead. With the occasional jump from the enemy matching their strongest it went quickly.
  • Theghouse
    Theghouse Posts: 315 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    This was a great event - seems to take inspiration from the Gauntlet event, the Support Circuit, and of course the Fireside Puzzles they debuted over the holidays. 

I much prefer the way they incorporated the challenges here - gaining AP against a well-paired team of enemies that makes it more difficult - as opposed to some of the holiday ones which were just preset boards that looked liked a checkerboard or battleship game but otherwise really posed no challenge.  It also made me dig deep into my roster to pull out some combos and characters that aren't competitive enough for regular PVE or PVP use.  I bet Talos might even have been good here but I wasn't that desperate to try him.

The support rewards were a great addition including the new special token.  Overall the devs hit a home run.
  • Captain_Carlman
    Captain_Carlman Posts: 208 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Theghouse said:
     I bet Talos might even have been good here but I wasn't that desperate to try him.
    I hope this event becomes a regular thing and start making characters that excel at this type of thing, rather than waiting for the next meta.
  • tupacboy
    tupacboy Posts: 126 Tile Toppler
    Options
    Thanks devs that was fun
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    The ghostpool, c&d, and hood team is hyper tricky, any of them mess your yellow  and penance its not a funny thing for long battles.  After trying some times I beat it with BRB polaris and misterio.
    Tomorrow I will try that increased red and collecting 30 TU.
    This is a great event combines tactics with a good roster but it can be completed by 4* or 5* players. Plus it has the relaxing effect of running in a week and being able to play it at totally free pace.
    And yes, the challenge is what makes you to clench your fist and show them what you can do this time.
    (For that reason Im always asking for it on my usual loneliness)
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    I got a 4 Talon which greatly improved my Okoye, and a 3 Korg so no complaints 
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 992 Critical Contributor
    Options
    The puzzle gauntlet was fun, pulling nothing but duplicate supports as my reward much less so.
  • Blackstone
    Blackstone Posts: 603 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Used Hawkeye and coulson to gather both reds and blues.  Just adding because I didn't see them suggested...(may have missed them)

I only got red iso from the support tokens, but it was fun playing something different than the daily norm.
  • Kross
    Kross Posts: 86 Match Maker
    Options
    Same for me, only red ISO. Was fun and challenging though.
  • Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 398 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I liked the fireside puzzles.  I HATED this event.  This wasn't so much a puzzle as trying to push your car out of the mud while it's raining while a bunch of strangers throw tomatoes at you.  Plus your pants are falling down.

I was able to get all but the very last reward but UGH, such a horrible pain in the ****.