***** Deadpool (Spirit of Vengeance) ***** - An MPQ Original Character

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    Also, off the top of my head, Daredevil is his best partner. He tanks green/purple/yellow. The yellow AP can be used for Penance Fare. He’ll tank, add strikes and Deadpool can hit back all the damage Matt tanked with his cheap black. The stun on red will also trigger DD’s Sonar Strike bonus. 

The problem is since Daredevil lacks new school health, AP costs, match damage, ability damage, etc. it’ll be a fun team but will get crushed by the OP meta teams sadly. 
  • Rosraf
    Rosraf Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    scottee said:
    Me want.

I love that black. 6 AP for 150% damage? Depending on how Okoye works with IH, it could be a quick one shot on her. 

I love repeating countdowns that stun (3* Daredevil).

I love AP stealing passives.

I don't really see any meta-level synergies, but I just love these type of abilities.
    Agree entirely. He looks good, not great.  Perhaps niche.  But most importantly, he seems FUN.  And, he will be useable at 1-1-1, for those of us that still need a year or more to fully cover a 5-star. 
  • Rosraf
    I think people are missing that his black is bad match insurance.  You just save all the black. If the match goes south, fire it off three times toward the end.  
  • Rosraf
    Omegased said:
    Can we stop making up fake characters and just focus on comic/movie characters that are still not in this game.

Considering there is what, 300 characters in the game, and there are only THREE that aren't in the comics... you're exaggerating a bit.

Personally - I have no problem with unique characters, in any shape (be it made up, or Multiple Man)

"All [characters] are made up." -Thor
  • Rosraf
    DAZ0273 said:
    I guess the argument could be that he doesn't have the heal because he isn't Deadpool any more, he is a Spirit of Vengeance which brings with it a different power set.

Except that the Spirit of Vengeance grants its hosts a superb regenerative healing factor plus invulnerability to basically everything except divine weapons like the Holy Hand Grenade! Oh boy...need to stop myself before I let my inner comic geek run amok in righteous indignation.

He CAN regenerate over and over, it just costs you 1 health pack (more of that 4'th wall DP shenanigans everyone loves so much). 
  • Rosraf
    Also, off the top of my head, Daredevil is his best partner. He tanks green/purple/yellow. The yellow AP can be used for Penance Fare. He’ll tank, add strikes and Deadpool can hit back all the damage Matt tanked with his cheap black. The stun on red will also trigger DD’s Sonar Strike bonus. 

The problem is since Daredevil lacks new school health, AP costs, match damage, ability damage, etc. it’ll be a fun team but will get crushed by the OP meta teams sadly. 
    As usual, Okoye is the best partner.  She will likely tank black (given 2-year head start on levels), and cam absorb endless damage (and heal) for Ghostpool to hit back with. 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Is being able to choose his Penance Fare that bad? Unless your teammates' active power colours don't require yellow, green or purple ap, I thought this would give you control on which additional power to choose. If Penance Fare drains other three coloured ap automatically, it could mess up your gameplay. You could be forced to play active power in any of those three colours earlier than planned. 

Animation wise, I think his passive ability  looks the best, and its sound effect  :D.
    Here is why only choosing 1 knocks him down a tier in my book.  

First yellow is his best and if you are down to the last opponent does not fire.

2nd  If this character has done little to no damage the black is kind of useless.

3rd his green and Purple are not that great.  Green destroys a couple of tiles and Purple is a CD.  If this goes in a corner the CD resolves and does nothing.  If Kitty over writes it it does nothing.  
    This makes black a very situational power kind of like a bad cascade counter attack.  Nice to have as insurance but not really necessary.

red Is good but there are much better reds in the game.  Apocalypse, Havok, IHulk, Okoye, Thor.  The one turn stun seems nice but in reality is only ok.  If it was a 2-3 turn stun at level 5 now you are talking about a much better power.

blue is his most consistent ability and it reminds me of a slightly better Killmonger red passive.  In theory Killmonger helps do 150% more match damage on the other teams strongest color but if it is not a color you need. You might no use it.  DP is better since it is damage and can get boosted by Apoc and Okoye.

he is unique and creative I just wish his black would have been like the old Fury Avengers assemble where if you have the AP all the powers fire.  I would also like Yellow to be able to fire on the last target standing.  If you could fire all he would be solid B tier now he is low B maybe high C tier. From recent releases more useful than Killmonger and OMD and less useful than Onslaught or Yelena
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2020
    wymtime said:

red Is good but there are much better reds in the game.  Apocalypse, Havok, IHulk, Okoye, Thor.  The one turn stun seems nice but in reality is only ok.  If it was a 2-3 turn stun at level 5 now you are talking about a much better power.
    It is 2 turns at level 4 and above.
    Edit: Matching or destroying the countdown gives a 2 turn stun at 4 and above.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Actually his black is just a penance with some little effect chosing the one you need on your game. That makes him worse? Not at all. A penance just for 6 AP can stomp anyone with some small retaliation.
    His blue being a great supportive way of gaining AP or reduce a enemy power you dont want , if it could be posible.
    His red being creative and with a partner destroying/modifying boards he can stun a lot.
    So overall I would not put him in B tier at all, at least on the same boat as yelena.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Rosraf said:
    As usual, Okoye is the best partner.  She will likely tank black (given 2-year head start on levels), and cam absorb endless damage (and heal) for Ghostpool to hit back with. 
    This only works if you don't plan to champ DP (or your Okoye is huge). My 462 Okoye vs the 450 Deadpool: Okoye tanks only Yellow over DP. Even DP's TU match damage is higher, which removes one of the best features of Okoye's best support (RTF) because the chance to gain additional TU only kicks in if Okoye makes the TU match. Think about it: you just went from making a TU match and possibly gaining 2 extra to making a TU match and losing 1 on the next turn because Okoye won't be in front.

And since she'll only be tanking 1 cover, she won't be taking all the damage. Ironically though, she has more health than DP. So if you're lucky enough to have Yellow on the board when the enemy fires a nuke so that you can move her to the front (assuming it doesn't one-shot her), that might work. But if you left Yellow on the board for that possibility, you likely don't have enough Yellow to heal her back up.

Apocalypse maybe, because he's got a deep health pool and doesn't need to be in front for his damage boost to work.

@Daredevil217 's idea to use daredevil (wait..is this a conflict of interest :smile:) is the best one I've seen so far, and for variety might be an interesting team, but in general I think you're going to struggle.

Still don't see this DP as meta in any way.
  • Rosraf
    @helix72 - Yes, my suggestion assumes Okoye is tanking.   Any team where Ghostpool is taking probably isn't going to work out well. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Helix, won't okoye still tank teamup thanks to her black passive boosting her teamup match damage?
    She still won't play well with 5dp for lack of tanking black and red, but I don't think it's quite as bad as your post suggests.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    @Vhailorx You are correct! Thank you for pointing that out and embarrassed that I missed it. I think I was so down on DP I was in a rush to prove how bad he was. I'll be more thoughtful/careful in my analyses in the future.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2020
    I am pretty disappointed, I think he is going to be another okeish 5 that sadly I will only use when featured.
    His black is decent and in scl10 can be pretty useful, the problem is that he is very squishy and tanks a lot pf colors over Okoye. With Apoc is different BUT they share red and black as active colors, so why bring him over BRB or Thor? And as a third I dont see him being more useful than SB or Polaris.
    In PvP, absolutely no reason to use him over the other meta chars. Maybe as a third in shield? But probably not even there.

I dont see him bringing anything really interesting to the tier (at least HD, OMD or Killmonger do something “new”). He also doesn’t have a good partner to make him shine.

Since Apoc we have had a series of decent but ultimately forgettable chars (5 already?), if we dont get somebody good/great soon I am going to lose the interest completely :(
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    Polares said:
    I am pretty disappointed, I think he is going to be another okeish 5 that sadly I will only use when featured.
    His black is decent and in scl10 can be pretty useful, the problem is that he is very squishy and tanks a lot pf colors over Okoye. With Apoc is different BUT they share red and black as active colors, so why bring him over BRB or Thor? And as a third I dont see him being more useful than SB or Polaris.
    In PvP, absolutely no reason to use him over the other meta chars. Maybe as a third in shield? But probably not even there.

I dont see him bringing anything really interesting to the tier (at least HD, OMD or Killmonger do something “new”). He also doesn’t have a good partner to make him shine.

Since Apoc we have had a series of decent but ultimately forgettable chars (5 already?), if we dont get somebody good/great soon I am going to lose the interest completely :(
    I think you are underselling the recent releases a bit. If  the PvP meta becomes dependent (1) on a character or team that relied on tile spamming (a la fistbuster or oml/Phoenix), then KM will become meta as the best 5* counter, or (2) on fortified tiles then heimdall becomes meta.  And heimdall is already super useful as the best true healer to be released since okoye.
    If they shake up the meta every few months I think people would also be upset due to the difficult of keeping pace with every release.
    5dp is unlikely to shake things up, IMO.  If his stun was better, then he might challenge. Ice for a role in pve, but ice is still better.  And while his black will definitely have some niche uses, 6ap to reflectots of damage that you have already absorbed just isn't going to cut it when the alternative is almost passive insta-damage with hulkoye.  Plus the combo of low health and high match damage really hurts him righ now.  That problem will fade over time as match damage goes up, but he will then be even further behind the curve on health.  Having 5* v1.0 (or at least 1.5) health, but 5* 2.0  match damage is just a bad combination, especially without true heal.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited October 2020
    My quick/dirty breakdown is: A pain to face but not as fun/effective to play yourself.  I hate these types of characters honestly.

Whenever I face 4* boosted up Ghost Rider in PVE he’s the first target. If you let him hang around he can just wreck you with his Penance Stare. Having that on a 5* is just killer. If you have one main damage dealing tank and two supports (or one and a 3* essential deadweight in PvP), Pool can clap back on that character HARD for cheap. So defensively that can get annoying when it triggers. Offensively, it’s more situational as the person who dealt the most damage is not always the person you want to kill- especially true in the Hulkoye meta. 
    Red is okay but ultimately forgettable as red is probably the best color in the tier in terms of powerful outlets. This one does decent damage and a small stun. Also a small chance to stun again. Tying it to a CD tile means Kitty (you know, half of the “other” meta team) will just use it against you. 
    Blue will be annoying to face when they cascade into your tank’s strongest color, your Ap drops and you are dealt passive damage. Again, offensively to get the most out of it you have to know your target’s strongest colors and go hunting them which may involve a lot switching targets, attacking people you don’t want to attack, and/or matching colors you don’t want to match. It is a boostable passive like 2099’s tile match, but the red/black overlap with Okoye and Apoc really really hurt him here. 
    Deadpool is low health (with no healing factor) and he tanks a ton. Not a problem in the AI’s hands but a hinderance to players like me who play a ton and thus value their health packs. Overall I wanted to like him. I think he can still be fun, but his shortcomings are very apparent (not the least of which is the lack of a standout partner.  I think he’ll be a tougher opponent to face than people are giving him credit for right now (like Yelena or Carnage) but clearly not enough there for him to shakeup the meta. Where a character like Heimdall COULD be a contender if we get a 5* fortified tile spammer (and really we should as it could elevate both Heim and Archangel!), I don’t see anything in Pool’s kit that may be exploitable down the road even. 
    Okay that ended up not being a quick/dirty breakdown. 
  • Bad
    edited October 2020
    About his tanking issue, there are solutions. Using characters who jump in front like rogue. Or heimdall sending him airborne, and when he lands, clobbering time enabled.
    He could be paired with KM and if they match the right color, the tricky 1 AP and posibly dealing 10k damage without adding any bonus.
    Lets consider the usual situation on which brb fires clash of worthy. DP could return him, plus matching damages, 25k easyly just for 6 AP.
    So he could open a new tactical scenario, just waiting for another character either who makes him shine, or either who could stop ihulk for once(edit: one who could destroy green tiles ala howard).
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,014 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looks like that blue passive is Apoc approved!
  • Bad
    Playing his pvp, truth is I never had 20 AP for to fire penance 2 times. Now having 12 AP: the damage of penance never resets. And the loaner is just 90%. So at the middle of the match 2 repeated penances can crush almost everyone.
  • Hellblazer666
    Hellblazer666 Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    I have to say throwing Mexican food at your opponents is very fun. Also that penance  thing is awesome