***** Wolverine (Samurai Daken) *****

Comments

• ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    bluewolf said:
    ammenell said:
    so when is batista wolverine expected to enter latest?
    im going to crack my hoard for apoc but still want to bh anti venom and/or misty
    Should be Sept 7th.  Anti-venom and Misty will be in tokens by then.  I wouldn't bother targeting either IMO as you'll get plenty of covers from PVE (and apparently Anti-Venom in PVP rewards), but to each their own.
    thank you. 
    except those two and anniversary characters, namor is my only 4* left to champ, not that much of a choice.. 
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    A Wong Support (Rank 2 or higher) is a much better option for dealing with those annoying tiles.  If you have Thorkoye you obviously can use her red and target the row where that pesky tile is, if it isn't auto-destroyed from firing powers with Wong.

I mean OMD is kind of interesting but less efficient  I suppose you could combine him with a Wong Support.....I appreciate their attempt to make a new set of abilities but I don't see how OMD is any better than the tools I already have.

If you have put together a team of OMD and Carnage....more power to you, but everything I see is a non-meta team or BRBitty and Hulkoye.  And I'd rather be running Prof/Onslaught as a fun non-meta PVP team.  Using Carnage isn't fun, ever, for me and I have only used him as a way to put out an annoying team that some might skip.
    A Wong support is good but only works a percentage of a time when a friendly power is fired.  This is best used with a Hawkey type character who will fire lots of powers so even CD tiles are removed.  With OMD you can remove 4 speed tiles and get 8 strike tiles.  If you add in Okoye buff it should also do decent damage.  The issue with Wong is you might still be removing CD instead of that attack tile doing massive damage or Protect tile eliminating match damage.  

I am also not saying he is great and meta.  I am saying he can be useful and help make a good team especially against certain special tile PVE teams.  He becomes much more useful.

i also tried a Carnage, Thor team in PVP against a BRB/ Kitty team.  I crashed hard as OMD abilities at 1,1,1 are not good but the concept is sound.  I was getting enough special tiles out to keep Kitty’s tile removal from hurting me but I could not do enough damage with OMD red.  Overall is was good synergy just not good at 1,1,1 OMD
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards

wymtime said:
    bluewolf said:
    A Wong Support (Rank 2 or higher) is a much better option for dealing with those annoying tiles.  If you have Thorkoye you obviously can use her red and target the row where that pesky tile is, if it isn't auto-destroyed from firing powers with Wong.

I mean OMD is kind of interesting but less efficient  I suppose you could combine him with a Wong Support.....I appreciate their attempt to make a new set of abilities but I don't see how OMD is any better than the tools I already have.

If you have put together a team of OMD and Carnage....more power to you, but everything I see is a non-meta team or BRBitty and Hulkoye.  And I'd rather be running Prof/Onslaught as a fun non-meta PVP team.  Using Carnage isn't fun, ever, for me and I have only used him as a way to put out an annoying team that some might skip.
    A Wong support is good but only works a percentage of a time when a friendly power is fired.  This is best used with a Hawkey type character who will fire lots of powers so even CD tiles are removed.  With OMD you can remove 4 speed tiles and get 8 strike tiles.  If you add in Okoye buff it should also do decent damage.  The issue with Wong is you might still be removing CD instead of that attack tile doing massive damage or Protect tile eliminating match damage.  

I am also not saying he is great and meta.  I am saying he can be useful and help make a good team especially against certain special tile PVE teams.  He becomes much more useful.

i also tried a Carnage, Thor team in PVP against a BRB/ Kitty team.  I crashed hard as OMD abilities at 1,1,1 are not good but the concept is sound.  I was getting enough special tiles out to keep Kitty’s tile removal from hurting me but I could not do enough damage with OMD red.  Overall is was good synergy just not good at 1,1,1 OMD

Won't Daken's red proc BRB's passive, since it is currently destroying tiles?  That seems like a very high risk strategy.  you have to spam red to stay safe from Kitty's purple, but doing so feed's BRB, so you will eat a whole lot of his green/blue.  Other than the healthpack-demoilishing stunner bros, it's not like there are great options for fighting BRBitty in pick2 (they are meta for a reason), but this doesn't sound like a particularly good option. 
  • wymtime
    Vhailorx said:

wymtime said:
    bluewolf said:

Won't Daken's red proc BRB's passive, since it is currently destroying tiles?  That seems like a very high risk strategy.  you have to spam red to stay safe from Kitty's purple, but doing so feed's BRB, so you will eat a whole lot of his green/blue.  Other than the healthpack-demoilishing stunner bros, it's not like there are great options for fighting BRBitty in pick2 (they are meta for a reason), but this doesn't sound like a particularly good option. 
    When I tried it I should have paid attention to see if it was feeding BRB blue and green.  You need to take out BRB first so he cannot use his blue and green powers.

also facing BRB/Kitty really is not that bad.  Kitty with either Professor X/JJ/Apocalypse/high damage 5* will work.  It is not a huge health pack suck.  The big health pack suck is typically facing BRB Bishop teams for me.
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    @bluewolf

It’s interesting. We get the occasional new 5 that really shakes up the meta for vets, but sometimes we get a 5 that alters the course of 4 land players’ rosters as they make their way into 5. Daken is an interesting character for the post-Apocalypse LL set, but it feels like he needs to be tweaked. His green, while unique, really feels like another power trying to do too much. Even champed, the 25% health threshold seems too easily overcome. I’m not sure how the active portion works at champ levels, but it could be effective against certain heals on tap teams.

I could see some vets pulling him out on the occasional PvP, but I don’t see him dethroning anyone in SCL10. For characters just starting their 5 star roster, he seems to be an obvious answer to Grocket.

Personally, I would much prefer a James Howlett 5* Wolverine to a potential I am my own great great great great great great great great grandpa character.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,243 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2020
    I am all for interesting characters.  Maybe there'll be some use for him I haven't seen yet but I have enjoyed some other recent characters more (even if they weren't the fastest).

Yelana 
    Sinister
    Onslaught

Apocalypse and Hulk are obviously very strong and useful characters.

I feel right now like OMD falls more on the Havok of the 2020 character scale; someone that isn't bad exactly, but I'm not sure why I'd pick him over other options.  Killmonger also kind of feels that way to me, but I haven't really started using him yet.

I did just start OMD's PVP so it's possible my opinion will evolve even before I start covering him.

-----

On a different topic, I am kind of unclear how this version of Daken gets to interact with our other heroes? There is always, I suppose, an issue when you have so many versions of characters representing in some cases different universes or what have you, but in general you can argue that all of their adventures generally take place in the modern day.  So you can imagine some dimension hopping going on.

Or?  I know the super soldier serum slows aging....Is Peggy supposed to be like 80 years old, or more like 95 years old, in the game?  If not (and she ages normally), then the Peggy in game would be adventuring in the decade or so after WWII.  In that case, I guess it makes as much sense to have her teaming up with our other characters as a version of Daken that seemingly only existed in feudal Japan doing the same thing.
  • darkwatcherDEZ
    darkwatcherDEZ Posts: 109 Tile Toppler
    bluewolf said:
    ... On a different topic, I am kind of unclear how this version of Daken gets to interact with our other heroes? There is always, I suppose, an issue when you have so many versions of characters representing in some cases different universes or what have you, but in general you can argue that all of their adventures generally take place in the modern day.  So you can imagine some dimension hopping going on.

Or?  I know the super soldier serum slows aging....Is Peggy supposed to be like 80 years old, or more like 95 years old, in the game?  If not (and she ages normally), then the Peggy in game would be adventuring in the decade or so after WWII.  In that case, I guess it makes as much sense to have her teaming up with our other characters as a version of Daken that seemingly only existed in feudal Japan doing the same thing.
    Wolverine Old Man Logan is technically 197 years old and fought with Captain America during World War II. Japan's Feudal Era lasted up to the 1860s. As old Wolvies progeny, Daken could easily warp back and be present in the modern era . Although, he would be alive around the time when the Howlett parents were around...weird). 

Guess all that age lends to his in game delayed healing factor. 
  • wymtime
    bluewolf said:
    I am all for interesting characters.  Maybe there'll be some use for him I haven't seen yet but I have enjoyed some other recent characters more (even if they weren't the fastest).

Yelana 
    Sinister
    Onslaught

I feel right now like OMD falls more on the Havok of the 2020 character scale; someone that isn't bad exactly, but I'm not sure why I'd pick him over other options.  Killmonger also kind of feels that way to me, but I haven't really started using him yet.

I did just start OMD's PVP so it's possible my opinion will evolve even before I start covering him.

-----

On a different topic, I am kind of unclear how this version of Daken gets to interact with our other heroes? There is always, I suppose, an issue when you have so many versions of characters representing in some cases different universes or what have you, but in general you can argue that all of their adventures generally take place in the modern day.  So you can imagine some dimension hopping going on.

bluewolf said:

Yelana 
    Sinister
    Onslaught

I agree with you on Killmonger.  I have him champed and he isn’t great.  I would put OMD in the Carnage tier.  In the right situation can be really good.  In the wrong situation can be useless.  In his PVP he will be bad for the most part.  

If you want to see him do well in his introducing event use 4* carnage and 4* Luke Cage.  You can try and see how many special tiles you can get out.  In the introducing events you really need to use 4* instead of 5* since your 5* will just do too much match damage
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Since when an easy thing like warping ages mattered on mcu? Look at the new store coming : time warp (on placement HOD rewards).
    And who could be the 2 5*? I would bet for captain Marvel. 
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2020
    Bad said:
    Since when an easy thing like warping ages mattered on mcu? Look at the new store coming : time warp (on placement HOD rewards).
    And who could be the 2 5*? I would bet for captain Marvel. 
    Click on the Token, and it shows the 5-stars are Cable, Dr Strange, and OMD.  Makes sense...

My 2/1/2 Cable might get a boost out of this store.  My LVL 458 Dr Strange (second highest leveled char, after iHulk) would find it somewhat less useful, no doubt.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    My experience in his PvP basically boiled down to "he doesn't play well with Apocalypse". 5* Carnage does have some potential, tho. I played against a team with them, and I could def see it doing some work with a fully covered OMD.
    And yeah, as it works right now, he's absolutely terrible against BRB.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Could the level of enemies be increased for each repeated win? I wanted to try Domino with OMD in the last node but they were down easily because they were at capped at level 220.
  • Bad
    My experience in his PvP basically boiled down to "he doesn't play well with Apocalypse". 5* Carnage does have some potential, tho. I played against a team with them, and I could def see it doing some work with a fully covered OMD.
    I think the opposite, he plays well but in a slow way, because apocalypse is slow. For being fast, gritty team where he can be a great reinforcement providing strike tiles or red AP when things could look not good. And his repeaters delivering punishment really soon.
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    Could the level of enemies be increased for each repeated win? I wanted to try Domino with OMD in the last node but they were down easily because they were at capped at level 220.
    Domino and Cloak and Dagger worked well.  His red ability was very useful when the Teisatsu died and turned to smoke.  Three enemy attack tiles?  Nope...six friendly strike tiles, to go along with all of the attack tiles that C&D put out thanks to all the black on the board.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bad said:
    I think the opposite, he plays well but in a slow way, because apocalypse is slow. For being fast, gritty team where he can be a great reinforcement providing strike tiles or red AP when things could look not good. And his repeaters delivering punishment really soon.

It was mostly because he kept draining my black AP. A bunch of those fights would have been over way faster without him along.
  • Bad

It was mostly because he kept draining my black AP. A bunch of those fights would have been over way faster without him along.
    Having apocalypse champed is posible a strategical swicht of powers.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    i rocked my 435 Apoc and half-Thor in there.  Get Apoc's yellow out... and let SamDak use that black.  Boosted tiles each time??  Yes, please.

Not to mention, SamDak is turning it into RED?!  So, yeah... Apoc will punch the tinykitty outta people.  Was very efficient for me.  Can't wait to champ Apoc.
  • Loosie
    Loosie Posts: 397 Mover and Shaker
    So we have a boss event that coincides with a 5* release, but instead of given tokens to the special 5* store we are getting regular LL tokens...
  • BriMan2222
    BriMan2222 Posts: 982 Critical Contributor
    Loosie said:
    So we have a boss event that coincides with a 5* release, but instead of given tokens to the special 5* store we are getting regular LL tokens...
    Im good with that.  I'd rather have more chances to make my apacolypse bigger than any of the special store 5's.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    C&D crossed my mind but he can't spam black tiles as well as Domino. Once there are 9/10(?) black tiles on the board, he stops. 

OMD seems like a good replacement for Hela, if he didn't destroy those enemy tiles instead.