***** Wolverine (Samurai Daken) *****

Comments

• Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 678 Critical Contributor
    edited August 2020
    bluewolf said:
    pheregas said:
    JHawkInc said:
    Wouldn't have expected another Daken, or a 5-star version at that, but I like him better than the other two in the game, so he's got that going for him. 

Question: When did he kill Wolverine? Because we just had a big death and absence and return of Wolverine, but he wasn't killed by Daken for that, was he? The sword is supposed to bypass Logan's healing, but the recent death of Wolverine arc had him lose his healing factor and get suffocated by adamantium, or at least that's what I remembered.
    Guess we'll find out in the epic "Introducing Old Man Daken" starting August 13th!
    Spoiler (ish) alert:  This is a Demiurge original character, so looking to the comics for his backstory will get you nowhere.

Then he joins my list of "will never use unless essential" champions until he will get into comics. I do not play Marvel game to get "original or MCU-based" champions. I want characters straight from comics. Especially when we still are waiting for villains like Zemo, Red Skull, Omega Red or Wrecking Crew,

FYI list is short. It contains:
    1. Mr. I, the player, dont know what to use  cause my characters powers change every round. A.K.A. Legion. Literally I have him champed and i used less boosted and weaker 3* in PVE cause of that. Plus his design is ugly.
    2. Mr. Pointless in the "grab your own team" game. A.K.A Onslaught.
    3. Mr. I kill myself. A.K.A. iHulk.
    4. Mr. Stronger than God. A.K.A Bishop.
    5. Mr. Bad design. A.K.A. 5* Kingpin (man, he is so ugly that I just cant stand him!).

• Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 550 Critical Contributor
    He looks like Old Man Bagwell... 

Houston Astros News January 19 2017 - The Crawfish Boxes
     :D 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,518 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2020
    The active part of his green is sneaky good. The passive is basically worthless except in very unique situations that seem out of the player's control.
    The black is a weird one. Has 'Thorkoye teammate' written all over it.
    The red is a very solid, but not broken, power set.
    I like him. He's a counter-pick character, not a meta character, but that's fine. My next hoard pull could begin with him if the two that follow make for a good trio. I can live with that.
  • Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
    I would also like to know what the purple repeaters do other than exist?
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2020
    I would also like to know what the purple repeaters do other than exist?
    Thank you! I felt like I was reading a totally different power than everyone else. Maybe they apply the damage? If that is the case, he could eventually flood the board with repeaters a la Iceman, and put out serious damage on his own. but I think i might prefer them to proc immediately.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2020
    The repeater acts as a check for passive damage. 

When the repeater reaches 1, check the board for between *2 to 4 special tiles that are not OLS's repeaters. If there are 2 to 4 non-OLS repeaters, deal damage to the target. 

My interpretation  is that each repeater deals 6000 damage. This ability is going to be terrible if you have four of his repeater tiles but the total damage dealt is only 6000, instead of 24,000.

*Depends on build.
  • Vhailorx
    The repeater acts as a check for passive damage. 

When the repeater reaches 1, check the board for between *2 to 4 special tiles that are not OLS's repeaters. If there are 2 to 4 non-OLS repeaters, deal damage to the target. 

My interpretation  is that each repeater deals 6000 damage. This ability is going to be terrible if you have four of his repeater tile but the total damage dealt is only 6000.

*Depends on build.
    It is certainly plausible that the repeaters work that way.  But that is not how the description is written.
  • Vhailorx
    edited August 2020
    bluewolf said:
    pheregas said:
    JHawkInc said:
    Wouldn't have expected another Daken, or a 5-star version at that, but I like him better than the other two in the game, so he's got that going for him. 

Question: When did he kill Wolverine? Because we just had a big death and absence and return of Wolverine, but he wasn't killed by Daken for that, was he? The sword is supposed to bypass Logan's healing, but the recent death of Wolverine arc had him lose his healing factor and get suffocated by adamantium, or at least that's what I remembered.
    Guess we'll find out in the epic "Introducing Old Man Daken" starting August 13th!
    Spoiler (ish) alert:  This is a Demiurge original character, so looking to the comics for his backstory will get you nowhere.

EDIT:  Are people aware that Daken is of mixed racial heritage?  His mother was a Japanese woman that Logan married back in the 1940's when he was training in Japan.  Unfortunately she was murdered by the Winter Soldier while she was pregnant with Daken.

I mean, he is actually an Asian person, I'd say.  I realize race is a social construct and all that but why is his background an issue here?

I never had a big issue with Wolverine's Japan links as I found the idea of using their discipline mindset and training to control his wild side a compelling approach to his character.
    The problem with the logan-in-japan is one of perspective.  It's a bit hard to summarize concisely (go read Edward said's "Orientalism" for a full treatment), but the quick and dirty expansion is that Japan is treated as an inherently exotic location full of ancient teachings and knowledge, but essentially static. And Logan (or here Daken) is there to delve its secrets and lay them bare to the (dynamic and vital) West.  It's a genre of western storytelling that goes back at least as far as Marco polo and has many pernicious side effects (intentional or not). 
  • Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 343 Mover and Shaker
    Ahhh ok, yeah the wording was very strange,
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,247 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:
    bluewolf said:
    pheregas said:
    JHawkInc said:

EDIT:  Are people aware that Daken is of mixed racial heritage?  His mother was a Japanese woman that Logan married back in the 1940's when he was training in Japan.  Unfortunately she was murdered by the Winter Soldier while she was pregnant with Daken.

I mean, he is actually an Asian person, I'd say.  I realize race is a social construct and all that but why is his background an issue here?

I never had a big issue with Wolverine's Japan links as I found the idea of using their discipline mindset and training to control his wild side a compelling approach to his character.
    The problem with the logan-in-japan is one of perspective.  It's a bit hard to summarize concisely (go read Edward said's "Orientalism" for a full treatment), but the quick and dirty expansion is that Japan is treated as an inherently exotic location full of ancient teachings and knowledge, but essentially static. And Logan (or here Daken) is there to delve its secrets and lay them bare to the (dynamic and vital) West.  It's a genre of western storytelling that goes back at least as far as Marco polo and has many pernicious side effects (intentional or not). 
    I mean I totally get that even positive stereotypes can be bad and problematic for people to live with, live up to, etc.

Anyway, I at least wanted to point out that Daken isn't just some white Canadian dude, so I guess I find the situation a bit different when he's got roots/connections/ancestral ties to the country.
  • hilsen2
    hilsen2 Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Does this mean I'm not getting Hawkeye progression shards?
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,247 Chairperson of the Boards
    You will presumably miss some Latest’s shards in progression. Whoever is essential in HoD. Hopefully Killmonger....
  • Vhailorx
    edited August 2020
    bluewolf said:
    You will presumably miss some Latest’s shards in progression. Whoever is essential in HoD. Hopefully Killmonger....
    Skipping apoc again?! Grrrrrrr!
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I might team him up with half health Thor and Domino just for the kick of spamming his repeater tiles on the board, if only his repeater tile deals 6000 damage each. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think its the perfect partner for Ihulk, giving him red and healing his burning frienship. And he can cure himself a lot. Just that makes him a good option for Ihulk users although this point will be cheked on his introducing. 
    Or he can use the red for screwing kitty teams. 
    About racist themes scientifics proved that the virus is originated from the animals.
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm curious about the active Green. So it does 9k at 5 covers at 450. Say Okoye or Gritty boosts it up to 20k. Is that 20k permanently removed from the opponents health? If so that's kinda dirty. Anti Hulk, Okoye, Doom.